Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 18:54   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

BMW has updated website with range of accessories for 7 series , good thing is that even prices are mentioned and some of these looks competitive & generic which can be used in any car

http://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/ma...s_Brochure.pdf
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 12:58   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW 740Li in family circle ( BIL) - got delivered (M'sia) last week. joins the BMWX1,

Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-2.jpg
Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-3.jpg
Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-1.jpg
Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img20160602wa0004.jpg
Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img20160602wa0000.jpg
Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img20160602wa0001.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 18:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Test drives reviews are out.

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-bmw-730ld-road-test/

This could be an irritant:

Did I mention, one has to charge the key? That’s right, the main car key features a display that’s also touch operated and offers a slew of features like the car’s door, windows lock/unlock status, engine status, total range etc. One can also precondition the air-conditioner before entering the car. However, these features only work when one is in close proximity to the car. It would have been nice if it used the cloud to control these functions. The key could have featured inductive charging by placing it in a dock rather than manually charging it every few days. Over two-days, the key battery went from full charge to critically low.
Old 24th August 2016, 22:15   #49
BHPian

Motortrend does a comparison of German super saloons.

Well not the top of the line. But at least one step down from the top of the line.

BMW sure does get a harsh review and BMW might think twice before lending their cars to Motortrend in future.

The take on the over the top design with hockey stick was unexpected. Actually saddened when you actually remember the simple lines of the E38 7 series.
Old 14th December 2016, 23:48   #50
BHPian

Not sure if this info has been shared here, didn't come up in search.

BMW India website now has the specification sheet mentioning the 740Li variant.

Here is the link:
http://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/ma...et_October.pdf

Further, the price list has also been updated:

http://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/ma...ice%20List.pdf

There seems to be an additional variant of the 730Ld called DPE Signature with laser headlights and Sky Lounge roof as standard. 'Executive Lounge seating', upgraded leather, seat ventilation, and remote parking also appear on the feature list. Exterior colour choices seem to be limited to 4 on the Signature variants and 19 inch wheels replace 18 inch wheels.

The larger wheels plus the air suspension, I am unsure of how well that would go from the ride comfort / reliability angle.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 14:52   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There seems to be an additional variant of the 730Ld called DPE Signature
Yes, for a while. Check this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ml#post4084738

Apparently, this has been received well by the customers and is in demand though it's still missing rear trays which can be a boon to highway travelers when they launch. I think MB is simply not doing enough with S class and must have taken a hit. They have only taken off features from launch editions and there is practically nil change in past Year and a half.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th December 2016 at 14:57.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 22:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
The larger wheels plus the air suspension, I am unsure of how well that would go from the ride comfort / reliability angle.
Yeldo,

The car setup is lovely I still believe the S has the edge in terms of suspension over bad roads and short speed breakers but other wise I am loving this car in every sense. I am worried about the tyres and if someone could clarify what's the policy BMW India has on tyres?

I have some questions on the car if someone here can answer?

1. Can I in any way add CarPlay to my car? BMW India says NO!

2. If I wanted to change my wood trim what's the best way to do it? Any contacts I can have?

3. Due to the executive Lounge the passenger seat headrest can't adjust nor does it get a lumbar support. Is there any way I can adjust the headrest? We already lose one side of the rear seat due to child seat and no one really likes sitting on the passenger seat so if I had to completely swap the seat is that do able? The seat also has shorter rails and which means even with a new seat it will not go as far back as the regular M sport and other model seats go? I believe someone here can clear this for me? (Please note these points anyone who is looking at the signature variant)

4. What's the extended warranty period I can get maximum and would someone give me a better idea on if service packages are worth it?

5. Any good body kit and alloys someone can recommend or do I just get the BMW M sport kit?

6. Any way I can disable the gesture controls?

Thanks for any of these answers really,
MercedesGirl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 09:29   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
3. Due to the executive Lounge the passenger seat headrest can't adjust nor does it get a lumbar support. Is there any way I can adjust the headrest? We already lose one side of the rear seat due to child seat and no one really likes sitting on the passenger seat so if I had to completely swap the seat is that do able? The seat also has shorter rails and which means even with a new seat it will not go as far back as the regular M sport and other model seats go? I believe someone here can clear this for me? (Please note these points anyone who is looking at the signature variant)
Does the car let you turn off the front seat airbag? If it does, you can keep the child seat in the front. 5-Series allows me to turn it off. I know everyone freaks out about child seat in the front, but if the airbag is turned off and seat pushed a bit back, it is perfectly safe. And if you are driving the car with your baby next to you on the throne, it's quite fun.

Quote:
4. What's the extended warranty period I can get maximum and would someone give me a better idea on if service packages are worth it?
You will have to check with the dealer, they keep tweaking their coverage plans and prices. Warranty highly recommended (reasonably priced too). Service package is a big no based on my experience if usage is moderate - sometimes you may get a better car in future that will bring down the usage of this car even less.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 11:06   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can I in any way add CarPlay to my car? BMW India says NO!
Try to decode your VIN and check if it shows CarPlay as an option in which case it might be possible. BUT having used in my new Endeavour, I found Android Auto better for the sheer usability of Google Maps, of course, that also have its own cons like you cannot control your regular music apps e.g Spotify from within the app itself. Since Maps are not yet supported in India on Carplay due to the absence of Turn by Turn navigation, you won't miss Apple Play. Newer I drive have a neat interface of running apps like Spotify or even tune to internet radios so practically you are not missing much.

Quote:
If I wanted to change my wood trim what's the best way to do it? Any contacts I can have?
Not the easiest option, best bet will be to look at some online places and then try to figure out fitting, Do remember to order for RHD Car

Quote:
Is there any way I can adjust the headrest?
Quote:
so if I had to completely swap the seat is that do able?
That's not practical. If you change front seat you will lose executive lounge setting as the front seat moves far ahead then the regular one. Do try if you can find a better headrest position by adjusting the front seat from the rear. If I recollect, headrest does go little in when we press relax button from the rear, try if it allows stopping midway and if that helps.

Quote:
What's the extended warranty period I can get maximum and would someone give me a better idea on if service packages are worth it?
Absolutely worth, you don't get nasty surprises. The maximum is 6 Year warranty and 10 Year Maintenance. I am having same on mine 2009 X6. I can't tell about commercial benefits but it does surely give peace, though prices of service packs has increased considerably, I have bought 3 Year packs for my 2016 X5 & 730 and will buy again if there is any addition (New 5 looks yummy) BMW apparently also supports such regular serviced/maintained vehicles with goodwill warranties even if you get out of warranty. This is from my personal experience. You can pay extra before expiry and get these extended at prices prevailing at that time. Good thing is that BMW will adjust prices applicable at that time for your existing package and not what you originally paid so are partially covered for inflation as well.

Quote:
do I just get the BMW M sport kit?
That will be better but expensive, not sure if it will make a noticeable appearance in looks. Instead but a newer 530D-M

Quote:
Any way I can disable the gesture controls?
Should be easy - check here

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th January 2017 at 11:19.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 18:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Does the car let you turn off the front seat airbag? If it does, you can keep the child seat in the front.
Androdev,

Thank you, but the problem is even if I do turn off the Airbag, I can't use ISOFIX on the front seat and I am not very comfortable using seat belts on child seats, unless there is another option?

I will check out the Warranty, thanks for the input will skip the service packages. Would you have any clear idea on their Tyre policy? I read they allow one tyre change a year? Is that completely free of cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Try to decode your VIN
Turbanator,

Thanks I use the apps on the i drive allows me to use my iheartradio and a few others it's quite amazing in that sense, but could you help me a little with how to decode the VIN?

Coming back to Gestures, is there any way to permanently disable it? My niece keeps turning this back on and it gets on to the head at times as she finds it highly amusing, each time I disable it from the i drive she ends up turning it back on and I am back to a migraine as much as I love her

Thanks again for all your information truly thank you so much.
Old 29th January 2017, 20:31   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
Androdev,
Thank you, but the problem is even if I do turn off the Airbag, I can't use ISOFIX on the front seat and I am not very comfortable using seat belts on child seats, unless there is another option?
Yeah I can imagine struggling to fix child seat with the seat belt. But unless you need to fix it up frequently, it's not such a big deal. Taking it off is very easy and if you are in a hurry, you can always use the ISOFIX at the rear. If you drive the car, then it is really fun to have your toddler as your co-pilot. To be honest, having my kid as the co-pilot in the child seat was the best part of my car ownership
Next Gen BMW 7 Series Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_0161-1.jpg

Quote:
I will check out the Warranty, thanks for the input will skip the service packages. Would you have any clear idea on their Tyre policy? I read they allow one tyre change a year? Is that completely free of cost?
Tyres are covered by Add-On insurance with some "pro-rata" formula which I had but never bothered. They measure how much tread depth is left on the tyre and you will save maybe 10K best case, not worth bothering. The same Add-On will cover the rims, which is more useful.

Does BMW now offer Secure insurance Add-On for free during the first year?
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 21:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Yeah I can imagine struggling to fix child seat with the seat belt. But unless you need to fix it up frequently, it's not such a big deal. Taking it off is very easy and if you are in a hurry, you can always use the ISOFIX at the rear. ?
Androdev,

That's such a cute picture, may you both forever have joys of life in that lovely car I assume it's a 221?

My daughter isn't even 6 months yet so it's still a rear facing seat and ISOFIX has a base so would make it hard if I had to swap front and back but yes once she's moved to the stage where I can keep her front facing this will be easier as those seats wouldn't need to be frequently removed.

The tyres I was told were a free change each year? I guess I am mis informed. And about BMW Secure I was given one but I do not know if it was charged or given complimentary.

Again that's a lovely picture of your child, may you guys forever be blessed
MercedesGirl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 21:26   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does BMW now offer Secure insurance Add-On for free during the first year?
Free for First Year. Will agree to your views on the tyre claims.

Quote:
but could you help me a little with how to decode the VIN?
You can find Vin via I-Drive or from your Invoice. Then you can use any of VIN decoder sites like

https://www.bmdecoder.com
http://bimmer.work

But given the fact that this is CKD, I won't be very hopeful. Nevertheless, good to know what all stuff is configured in your car.

Quote:
Coming back to Gestures, is there any way to permanently disable it?
Not that I am aware, there must be some coding and your dealership can certainly help but not worth the hassle. Perhaps you can do the makeup with Stereo function off

You surely have some very high tastes and demands, now I understand why companies like Rolls-Royces allow owners to choose virtually anything, perhaps you picked the wrong car.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th January 2017 at 21:34.

Most Viewed