Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 16:48   #16
BHPian

Re: January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is the drastic reduction in Verna a planned one in order to make way for other Hyundai products like Creta? I did not realize that Verna count has come down that low. Or is it just that City/Ciaz have taken away the numbers.
I think it has more to do with City and Ciaz performing better than Verna than Hyundai deliberately shifting customer focus towards other offerings like the Creta. Hyundai has been advertising the Verna a lot recently. Last page ads in both national and regional dailies specifying features like six airbags (dual airbags and ABS as standard across variants), audio visual navigation and engine performance et al.
TD_GHY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 17:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Some hurting/surprising numbers for me:
  1. Trailblazer 0: What could be the main reason
  2. Sail UVa 0: Factory must be eagerly waiting for someone to place an order
  3. Abarth 17: Alas!
  4. Quanto 2: Who are these 2 guys?
  5. Rexton 3: I expected it in 3 figures atleast
  6. Yeti 1: Why?
Old 10th February 2016, 17:22   #18
BHPian

Ok. They say an empty mind is a devils mind.
Was free so just was analyzing the sales pattern of last 6 months in the so called SUV segment. Now i chose 7 vehicles, which includes S Cross also primarily because when i read any ownership review, these are the vehicles discussed by all before coming to a conclusion.
TUV and Scorpio has seen flat figures of +/- 200 over this period and so omitted as the chart would have become too cumbersome.

January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-suv-sales-6-months.jpg

January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-suv-six-month-charts.jpg

So you see
• Jan we were 21% off the highs of Oct. This shows how much importance the festive months hold.
• Dec -15 was cumulatively bad even with freebies with the effect of Chennai floods clearly seen.
• Ecosport : Except for Dec , steady around 3000.
• Creta numbers will be good for another 4-5 months based on bookings and after that we will know where it stabilizes.
• XUV from 3000 average to around 2500 in last three months.
• S Cross. Enough has been said on the pricing blunder. With a petrol in May maybe they get better figures.
• Terrano. Example of a good vehicle made to languish. I have a feeling everyone wants to buy a Terrano but the ASS and ridiculous pricing has let it down.
• Duster . One of the most competent of the batch not doing good numbers because of silly and not meaningful upgrades.
• Safari : TATAs hopefully will do a better sales and service with Hexa.

My 45 minutes of free time are over. These are just random thoughts. No offense to anyone if they feel otherwise.
nkghai is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 18:12   #19
BHPian

Finally! Was waiting for the sales report. Thought with all the EXPO news, sales figures are going to be pretty late. Thanks a lot Aditya!! As usual superb work.

* First thing to notice is Maruti and Hyundai together sold close to 9K vehicles less that previous month and still the total number of sales are around the same as December(22 Vehicle more!!) Now how often does that Happen!! This numbers are after considering the fact that Ciaz did an amazing turnaround and Creta also improved significantly. Agreed that KUV took some numbers but still!
* KUV has done a very good debut. Trying to understand which car sales went down for KUV to get benefited. Someone explain
* Baleno Dropped a whopping 27% and Elite i20 did not benefit as they also sold less. Barring the fact that Polo sold almost the double as last time since the numbers are not huge, lots of Baleno numbers seems to have gone to Creta and Jazz. Too early to say but looks like Jazz just might start getting its due.
* Finally MSIL is slowly feeling the pinch of having a huge waiting period for Baleno. My cousin went to Nexa and got a reply that the waiting period might get to 9 months!! Absolutely unacceptable given the fact that there are very good alternatives around.
* Yet another disappointing performance form Ford and nothing surprising there. I went with my cousin twice to check Aspire and even though he bought it eventually, the experience is not something even worth discussing.A beautiful car dying in the initial stages itself.
* S-cross numbers have not improved even after the price cuts. Too soon to say "I told you so" but people seem to have started ignoring them. Also there is almost no promotion on any media be it Radio/TV/Internet. Hope people give another chance for this wonderful car.
* Segment A sales are down. So is B1 and B2. C1 is just on break even and C2 has a huge jump in sales. Can someone explain what the hell just happened? Did a lot of people win lottery?
* I feel Renault is just not serious in their commitment to sell numbers consistently. With Every car in segment A and B1 selling less, this was their time to consolidate on the acceptance of KWID and instead they are focussing somewhere else.
RaghuVis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 18:38   #20
BHPian

Just wondering if KUV100 took it's numbers from WagonR? Maruti will do good if they make the practical WagonR package a bit more safer as well, before end of 2016?
Old 10th February 2016, 18:43   #21
BHPian

Just wondering what the bottom end manufacturers must be feeling with luxury makers too beating them in most months handsomely.

Just illustrates that either their strategy of models or the pricing is way off and its hurting their bottom line. In the very month that Trailblazer was launched, it was conceded by all that it would be a dud due to its styling and old boring looks. If we can stop these things, why cant GM? Conversely, the Endeavour with its superb appeal and good pricing is a bona fide hit.

Each month, I feel saddest for TATA. Now their latest problem is that their car is associated with a global virus. Maybe time for someone to do some puja or havan whenever their new cars launch.

Admins/ Mods - any chances of getting a split by manual and auto going forward? I could be wrong but my guess is that most trends would be inching towards automatics in the last 1-2 years.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2016 at 10:17. Reason: Correcting some typos :)
Khushrav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 19:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
---
* In the premium hatchback segment, Hyundai i20 has again taken the crown from Maruti Baleno. This fight is going to get more interesting with Baleno being launched with the BoosterJet engine--
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
--Interesting to see Jazz numbers jump by 2107 units in January over December while Baleno numbers over the same period declined by 2874 units---
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
---
Elite i20 just inches ahead of the main competitor, Baleno.--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
----
Elite i20 retains the lead in the premium hatch segment. Baleno drops from the previous months high. Long waiting periods turning people away? Or buyers waiting for the Brezza?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
-- Someone explain
* Baleno Dropped a whopping 27% and Elite i20 did not benefit as they also sold less. Barring the fact that Polo sold almost the double as last time since the numbers are not huge, lots of Baleno numbers seems to have gone to Creta and Jazz. --
Maruti Suzuki shipped 1800 Baleno's to Japan. IMO, with exports to Europe also scheduled shortly Baleno monthly domestic sales figures will settle at 8000 units.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50887350.cms
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 20:11   #23
BHPian

The Volvo numbers show 65 of S60/S80 and 90 of of XC90/60. Surely they sold a few V40s as well. The breakup might be a bit off I guess.
Old 10th February 2016, 20:21   #24
BHPian

Not sure if its OT for this thread (mods, please move if necessary), but with the Kwid, Renault seems to be making the same strategic missteps as Ford did with its EcoSport, namely
- Not anticipating demand well enough
- Not stopping booking when they knew that their manufacturing capacity can not keep up (to their credit, this is what Mahindra did right with XUV 500 in the early stage itself)
- Not ramping up production fast enough. I cant believe the model has any exotic component, other than the body panels that's not either from an existing parts bin, or a derivative of it. Most OEMs in India have enough manufacturing agility, given certain demand
- And finally, not communicating well enough to the customers

Maruti, I would have thought, not fall for the same trap. But they have been there before (remember Swift and Etriga) and it has not impacted their brand, so they probably can pull through. not so Renault....

For any doubt, Renault management should just hop over a few miles and meet the Ford management for an honest discussion. Ford made the same mis-steps, and EcoSport, though it did well, never really delivered to its potential. And Creta (and soon Brezza) will start taking away the market that should have been Ford's for the taking.
Contrapunto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 20:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post

* Chevrolet has showcased the Beat Essentia sedan in Auto Expo which is based on the new generation of Beat hatchback which is on sale in international markets. If Chevrolet can think of launching the sedan version, then it should launch the new generation Beat as well. Launching just the sedan version will be a flawed strategy
The sedan version is based on the older version of Beat only. They've only pasted the new international version's face on the existing model
viren83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 20:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2016 at 12:32.
agbenny is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th February 2016, 21:39   #27
BHPian

With most of the top selling cars having a waiting period of 6+ months, i am not sure how to interrupt this thread. The numbers just show how much the manufactures are willing/able to produce.

For example, Baleno, Creta and Kwid all have in excess of 50k bookings, so i guess they are constrained by production capacity.

City and Ecosport also have a few months waiting period depending on the model. Considering the fact that both of these cars are the only high selling cars from the respective manufacturer, it might be some thing other than production capacity that keeps the numbers low.

Visited Toyota showroom last week, and they said 40 days waiting period for Corolla and near 60 days for Fortuner. Considering the low numbers these cars are selling, i wonder what might be the cause.

Last edited by jvk84 : 10th February 2016 at 21:41.
jvk84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 08:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some observations

- Dzire sells ~ 2k+ units more than Swift – both have dropped their numbers considering M-O-M figures – Baleno effect?

- Baleno loses the top slot in premium segment due to 1800 units being exported to Japan – Hope it is a onetime effect as expect a ramp-up of its production . Waiting period continues to grow. Would be interesting as Hyundai has revised its feature list to offer dual airbags as standard.

- Ciaz holding on to its position after Honda City in the C segment.

- S Cross seems consolidated at 2K mark(averaging 20 units / Nexa outlet/month). Maruti needs to bring the petrol variant and hopefully the DDiS320 will pick up ( after price correction effect) as seen we have many new owners here itself

- KWID retains being in the top ten , even with 90K bookings might peak at 6K considering the production capacity - Interesting to see Maruti's response to this in the form of their upcoming New entry level hatch!

- For Honda it is merely the City bringing the volumes. Brio and Mobilio are visible duds in their portfolio.

- Ford sees success in the Endeavour, need to see how it sustains.EcoSport doing okay volumes. Will it hold on to this after the debut of Vitara Brezza?

- Mahindra’s Quanto, Ssayong’s Rexton, Renault’s Fluence, Tata’s Aria and Skoda’s Yeti sell in single digit -will facelifts even work here?( Quanto)

-Volkswagen sees a M-O-M increase in all is models while its sister concern Skoda sees a M-O-M drop in all its models. Polo Vento and its upcomng Ameo could keep the brand floating till 2018 before its portofilo is expected to expand in 2018

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th February 2016 at 08:30.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 08:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Fiat nos are not surprising for me at all. I had requested for a test drive in oct end for Abarth. Have received at least 6 calls from Fiat India and 4-5 calls from local dealership, still not TD car. Every time they will promise the TD and then not show up. This has happened 3 times. I am not sure how with this attitude they will be able to sell.
Surprisingly, I have that kind of Experience with the Nexa Dealership in Navi Mumbai for the S-Cross 1.6L .

I wanted to TD the S-Cross 1.6L. I registered on their website for the TD. I have got 2 calls to line up for TD and 4 calls to ask about my decision on buying the S-Cross 1.6L. Everytime I ask what happened to the TD I requested, they say they will get back to me and never get back to me.

MSIL Arrogance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Terrano. Example of a good vehicle made to languish. I have a feeling everyone wants to buy a Terrano but the ASS and ridiculous pricing has let it down.
Even the Pre-Sales is a big let down. I requested for a TD of the Petrol Terrano. They called me up 5-6 times asking for the decision on buying the Terrano but never gave me a TD of the Petrol Terrano.

The Reason
'Sir, Petrol vehicle is not available for TD. I can get you the diesel vehicle. It's exactly the same as the Petrol Vehicle.'

I could help myself but put up the same Emoticons on both the places. Because that is what I felt with the responses I got from the Dealerships.

Last edited by tejas08 : 11th February 2016 at 08:47. Reason: Additional Quote Added
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 08:41   #30
BHPian

Why haven't the sales of vehicles from Mahindra been affected, considering the ban on sale of vehicles with engine capacity of more than 2000 CC in Delhi NCR region? This is assuming the fact that Delhi NCR region contributes to sizable sales. I'm singling out Mahindra as they sell the most vehicles with 2000 CC + engines
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks