Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2016, 09:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
• Ecosport : Except for Dec , steady around 3000.
EcoSport seems to be holding on quite well even after new introductions such as Creta etc. The dip seen in December must be due to the annual shutdown at Ford plant for last 15 days when no car is produced and the stocks produced in the first half are shipped to the dealer to keep the new year pipeline fresh.

However it is not all hunky dory as there is increased activity in this mini SUV segment especially the sub 4 meter with the launch of KUV100 (agreed it is not in the same league but hey aren't they marketing it as a mini SUV?) and the chief competition in the name of Brezza which is a point to point match with EcoSport. Then it would be interesting to see if they still hold to their 3k numbers.
girishglg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 09:27   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

What happened to Chevrolet Trailblazer? It shows 0 units dispatched in December as well as January. It was a failure from the start but I didn't expect it to be this bad.
Old 11th February 2016, 12:39   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With reference to the Trailblazer, I believe that Chevrolet imported one batch at the time of launch (~150 units) and it soon sold out. The next batch is expected in March 2016.

Trust Chevrolet to come up with such an inconsistent supply strategy . Heck, it's a CBU! All they need to do is send an email to Thailand and more Trailblazers will be shipped out.

Lazy, ineffective, brainless. A CBU is anyway a short cut, but they can't even handle that properly.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 12:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lazy, ineffective, brainless. A CBU is anyway a short cut, but they can't even handle that properly.
I thought they really didn't have any demand . In this day and age of process driven operations, this is really unforgivable. If it didn't happen already, heads should roll.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 12:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Why haven't the sales of vehicles from Mahindra been affected, considering the ban on sale of vehicles with engine capacity of more than 2000 CC in Delhi NCR region? This is assuming the fact that Delhi NCR region contributes to sizeable sales. I'm singling out Mahindra as they sell the most vehicles with 2000 CC + engines
Well they have already introduced the 2.0L engine for XUV/Scorpio Targeting Delhi specifically. Not sure how many got sold in Jan since it was launched mid Jan. Most of the other cars from Mahindra stable are not selling much in Delhi to be frank. For eg Bolero numbers are mainly coming from Non metros and mainly in rural India so that is not affected.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 13:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With reference to the Trailblazer, I believe that Chevrolet imported one batch at the time of launch (~150 units) and it soon sold out. The next batch is expected in March 2016.
Wow, that is shockingly incompetent. They launched in October when the Endeavour was still 3-4 months away and the Fortuner in its last year before the new one launched. It was a great chance to garner some good sales and create an impression. Haven't the folks at GM heard the term 'Window of opportunity'. Instead they adopt this weird strategy. And the next lot expected only in March-Wow. No words.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

What surprises me is Vento/Polo sales number. Despite being on sale for 5+ years, they are selling consistently at around 1.5k and 2K respectively. I know of many people who see these cars as aspirational! Talk about timeless design, these duos from VW are right on top!
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:56   #38
BHPian

Some more thoughts as I have no work today!!

* Ertiga has sold 5500+ for the past 4 months. Hope this is finally a consolidated figure and they sell consistently. MSIL should be happy because it looked like it was going down.
* Not able to understand what happened to Ciaz in the month of December. Is there some analysis on that? My only guess is that Ciaz has a huge market in TN and Chennai specifically. Maybe I am wrong.
* Eon and Nano trying to compete and see who will nose-dive faster. Sad to see Tata not able to improve Nano numbers in spite of huge publicity and awareness. Not sure how much money they can afford to pump on Nano and keep it alive. Eon doesn't deserve to be in the Hyundai line up along with Grand i10,elite i20 and Creta.
* Am wondering who is buying Verito. Am sure all are for yellow board but still!!
* MSIL has sold 3545 Dzire Tours this month as per this link. http://www.marutisuzuki.com/press-re...eb-1-2016.aspx
For a segment made out of thin air, all credits to MSIL for excellent strategy that continues bearing fruitful results.
* Was "too soon to be true" happy with Lodgy numbers in December. It's back to lower numbers. With Innova Crysta coming before May, they need to consolidate else they are going to vanish even with much lower pricing that Crysta.
* Celerio doing 6500 average is good news for MSIL but am sure they expected much better numbers.
* Out of about 24500 vehicles sold in B1 segment, MSIL Accounts for close to 20K. That is close to 80% of market. The closest rival is Indica with 3K but almost all are for yellow boards. Am still wondering why no one sees this market. Given that there is a minimum margin of 5k/Vehicle, MSIL could be making a minimum of 10 Cr/Month or 120 Crores per annum. Definitely a segment worth investing IMO.
* The MOM sale is up for almost every vehicle in TATA. Although not great numbers, wondering what made this sudden change across segments for one company. My guess is they would have set up more dealer showrooms anticipating ZICA release and these numbers would be that and not the original sale figures!!
* With no plan to re-furbish BRIO soon, not able to understand the strategy of Honda. Maybe they don't have any would be a better guess!
RaghuVis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 15:45   #39
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the eagerly awaited monthly sales thread.

Few observations from my side:
  • The mini-SUV KUV100 from Mahindra has moved a decent number in its first month considering its mid-month launch. Ah, good that it has been classified as B2 Hatch, no SUV jargons anymore please
  • Hyundai unable to sell old-gen i10, better they stop it and introduce another product there - they have to learn a lot from Maruti on how to sell multiple products within a same segment without cannibalizing each other.
  • Even at the end of it's life cycle, Ritz was able to sell more than its nearest competitors - infact Ritz has almost close to the new Figo and has sold more than Beat, i10, Liva, Bolt, Brio, Micra, Pulse. That's a long list of hatchbacks - hope Maruti replace it with a competent product or are they focussing on Vitara Brezza already?
  • Sad state of affairs for Ford with the Figo twins becoming sales dud even after offering very competent products - my guess is that the lackluster Petrol mill is letting them down - I am yet to see a Petrol Figo/Aspire in the road. But the good thing for Ford is that Ecosport back to its normal numbers and Endy off to a strong start with 480 units.
  • Elite i20 has dropped below 10K after a long time - the last time it happened was in the same month last year, Jan '15. But it is still maintaining it's segment lead with close 4-5 weeks waiting period and no discounts of any form being offered for Elite i20 (checked recently for a friend) tells that Baleno is yet to hit Elite i20.
  • Surprisingly Jazz and Polo both had very good numbers this month - may be the Baleno waiting period effect?
  • In the CS space, for the first time Zest has overtaken Aspire after the launch of the latter. Dzire Tour alone is selling almost close to the 2nd placed Xcent/Amaze, this is one car which surely profiting from Maruti's muscle.
  • This is the first month of normal sales for VW after dieselgate with both Polo and Vento back to their regular monthly numbers.
  • Creta having the bull run pushing aside everyone in the race - let's see how Vitara Brezza and BR-V is going to stop Creta from its run. TUV300 still able to sell more than Ecosport and S-Cross settling at 2K units/month, looks like the discounts are yet to have effect on S-Cross.
  • Innova down from its 5K level sales to 3K level indicates only one thing - everyone is waiting for the Crysta facelift. Even though Fortuner had a sales dip but still able to sell nearly double the next competitor - the new Endy. Now, don't know what the new Fortuner will do to the opposition and looking at the way Ford is handling Endy, it may not be a surprise if Endy is soon down to double-digit.
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 16:58   #40
BHPian

It is disheartening to see the Sail sisters, sedan and hatchback putting up sales of 295 and 0, units respectively. Indeed, these are dismal numbers, by any standard.

Mere cutting off all features that seem essential (going by the current level of expectations and offerings from competition) and bringing products with bare minimum functions is not acceptable. Glaringly, GM's strategy to become distinguished by intentionally lagging behind the market trends, has worked against it. Besides, GM also seems to be inspired by its fellow back bencher FIAT, which too does not seem interested in bringing better products to India.

The only mantra to survive in this competitive environment is to distinguish oneself from the crowd by breaking new grounds and leading the pack and not by lagging behind.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 17:02   #41
BHPian

I have a question, does these numbers include exports to other countries as well?
Old 11th February 2016, 17:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambersariya87 View Post
I have a question, does these numbers include exports to other countries as well?
Nope. Export numbers are not included here.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 20:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
* Maruti is maintaining it's lead and it is expected to get stronger with the launch of Vitara Breeza and Ignis in this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Maruti: Going from strength to strength. Pretty much every model in the Top 20. With the Brezza and Ignis coming, will decimate competition.
Once the Brezza and Ignis launched this year, I think Maruti would have captured more than 50% of the market share. Hyundai, the only company which can compete with them, doesn't have any products in both these segments is another positive for Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Big news in the segment is the disastrous performance by Figo. ~1700 units is a very poor number for a new car. Largely looks to be tied to Ford's poor marketing and the dealers inability to make and meet commitments.
[*]Ford: Ford and its dealers seem to be trying their best to make flops of out its line of competent products. Both Figo and Aspire are at sub 2000 numbers and don't deserve that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
* Yet another disappointing performance form Ford and nothing surprising there. I went with my cousin twice to check Aspire and even though he bought it eventually, the experience is not something even worth discussing.A beautiful car dying in the initial stages itself.
Couldn't agree more. One of my friend is looking for a new car and he almost finalized the new Figo TDCi based on the reviews and when we checked the Ford dealer here in Chennai was shocked to know that Figo has a waiting period of more than a month and that too for any color. And when we checked Hyundai showroom for Elite i20 they quoted 4 weeks waiting time same as Figo. I don't know what Ford was doing when they are selling only less than 2K units per month. But luckily my friend is determined to go for Figo, but I don't think any normal person will prefer to wait when you have lot of options to choose from.

Quote:
* First thing to notice is Maruti and Hyundai together sold close to 9K vehicles less that previous month and still the total number of sales are around the same as December(22 Vehicle more!!) Now how often does that Happen!!
Looks like Mahindra & Honda has increased their sales by 3.5K & 4.5K respectively might have balanced it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- Mahindra’s Quanto, Ssayong’s Rexton, Renault’s Fluence, Tata’s Aria and Skoda’s Yeti sell in single digit -will facelifts even work here?( Quanto)
Quanto can be stopped, with TUV300 & KUV100 doing some good numbers - don't know the strategy behind keeping Quanto yet!

Aria might have been affected, may be due to upcoming Hexa launch - not that it is selling anyway

Quote:
* Eon and Nano trying to compete and see who will nose-dive faster. Sad to see Tata not able to improve Nano numbers in spite of huge publicity and awareness. Not sure how much money they can afford to pump on Nano and keep it alive. Eon doesn't deserve to be in the Hyundai line up along with Grand i10,elite i20 and Creta.
Too harsh on Eon, which has the same USP of other Hyundai cars - the better interiors. Eon has the segment best interiors and looks very much upmarket for an entry level hatchback.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 21:21   #44
BHPian

New Ford Endeavour - 480
Toyota Forturner - 825

This will be an interesting fight to watch!
Rover2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 21:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
What I can't understand is that in today's ruthless age, how the heck do the top bosses of GM India keep their jobs! Lucky people to say the least.

And what is the Board doing sitting in the US? It's truly shocking to see the incompetence from an American MNC and I feel it's only time before these guys shut shop in India. Once global / regional profitability starts coming down, that's when they will take action. Till then it's just top level numbers in the US with regional APAC office taking the load of India with some nonsense upselling stories!

At least FIAT sells engines... that too the national engine of India!
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks