Team-BHP - January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/173153-january-2016-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are colour-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

Thanks for the numbers. :thumbs up

There is an error in the top 20. The Kwid with 5985 dispatches should figure in the list.

Finally the most awaited thread of the month is here, but it seems to be overshadowed by the Auto Expo this time around.

Thanks to Aditya for compiling this superb report. clap:

Few observations from my side:

* Maruti is maintaining it's lead and it is expected to get stronger with the launch of Vitara Breeza and Ignis in this year

* The sales of S-Cross seem to be settling at around 2k per month, the recent price reduction doesn't seems to be helping much, or maybe we can see the improved numbers from next month when more people get aware of the reduced prices

* Maruti Gypsy's sale decreased from 1,187 units to 283 units. Last month's spike seems to be due to some bulk order from our armed forces

* Ciaz's sale increased from ~2.800 units to ~5,400 units, i.e., it's usual level. Does anyone has any idea why were the number was so low in December 2015?

* Many of the cars like Bolt, Verna, Beat, and Ritz showed increase in sales. Was it due to the additional discounts provided by the companies and dealers to old stock or due to some other reason? I think it is due to the discounts as apart from Bolt, all the others have been quite long in the tooth

* Volkswagen seem to be getting back to their original level with both Polo and Vento registering 50% increase in numbers. Hope Ameo can get them more numbers after it is launched

* Chevrolet has showcased the Beat Essentia sedan in Auto Expo which is based on the new generation of Beat hatchback which is on sale in international markets. If Chevrolet can think of launching the sedan version, then it should launch the new generation Beat as well. Launching just the sedan version will be a flawed strategy

* Mahindra's KUV100 has started well will 3,400 units, which is at par with TUV300. We'll have to wait and watch to see at what level does KUV100 settles. Also there will be increased competition from Maruti Ignis, when it is launched later this year

* In the premium hatchback segment, Hyundai i20 has again taken the crown from Maruti Baleno. This fight is going to get more interesting with Baleno being launched with the BoosterJet engine. Let's get the popcorn and cold-drink ready

Thanks for reading.

Interesting to see Jazz numbers jump by 2107 units in January over December while Baleno numbers over the same period declined by 2874 units. Polo too gained 841 units over December despite the VW scandal news. May have to do with long waiting periods of the Baleno making customers look at the Jazz which is available readily or Polo, or reduced production in December due to maintenance or might be purely random as well. Will need to look at the next 3-4 month reports to ascertain any reason. Elite i20 numbers have dipped too but not by a significant extent.

Ecosport regains the volume, this one is very consistent for Ford and hope Ford Figo picks up. Abrath made 17 numbers for Fiat.

Aditya , thanks for the data,

Here is some insight to the toppers in the Luxury segment - Jan sales.
Mercedes Benz leads the segment, Audi close behind with BMW lagging way behind.

Mecedes Benz- Audi - BMW- Volvo -Porsche

Name:  JAN.PNG
Views: 42348
Size:  5.8 KB

Entire break up of this segment.

Quanto, Rexton, Fluence, Aria, Yeti, Superb (awaiting the next Gen) sell in single digits and competing with cars in the Luxury segment- interesting!

January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

Source: Management Punditz ( Luxury car Sales)

Thanks, Have been eagerly waiting for the sales figure for January.

480 deliveries for new Ford Endeavour in the first month itself. It has already effected the numbers for Toyota Fortuner. Hopefully sliding number will force the Toyota to launch the new Fortuner this year itself.

Excellent show by Maruti, yet again.
Elite i20 just inches ahead of the main competitor, Baleno. And the Jazz also sees a spike in sales. The B2 segment is definitely heating up.

Disappointed by the Abarth Punto. Hoped the Indians would welcome a Hot Hatch with more open arms.

And gosh, just look at the graphs of C2 Segment and Utility Segment. So many ups and downs and crisscrosses; looks like a bag of worms has been set loose. stupid:

Thanks Adiya for the detailed analysis. Some observations:

A Note on Manufacturers

Tata Motors sees an uptick in all its cars (except Aria which was anyway in single digits) and regains its 5th place which it lost to Toyota last month.

Toyota has lost numbers across its range, going back to the 6th place.

Renault is still making 6000 Kwids a month and are long way from delivering the 70000+ bookings that they received. They are planning to increase production to 10,000 but also start exports to Brazil, where they have 1,00,000 bookings according to this article :Shockked: :
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st.../1/592194.html
Quote:

Around one lakh bookings have already been received for Kwid in the Brazilian domestic market itself.
I still don't see how they can meet the numbers unless they start making 20000 a month.

Ford has overall improved its numbers because of the Ecosport and Endeavor yet lost numbers in the Figo twins. Early days for Endeavor and what numbers it settles at remains to be seen.

Honda and Volkswagen have increased their numbers significantly compared to Dec'15.

Is the drastic reduction in Verna a planned one in order to make way for other Hyundai products like Creta? I did not realize that Verna count has come down that low. Or is it just that City/Ciaz have taken away the numbers.

The order of 1000-1500 seems to be consistent for Verna for the last 6 months of so.