Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which design of S-Cross do you like better?
Current design is better 150 23.44%
Facelifted look is much better 297 46.41%
It's a matter of personal taste but actually both look good 59 9.22%
Neither of the two look any good to me 134 20.94%
Voters: 640. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 08:48   #586
Team-BHP Support

re: 2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh

So, the car once launched as a "premium crossover" once will try to become a value product for its segment now. Maruti following the same conservative approach they took with the Ciaz.
Old 9th September 2017, 09:13   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Confirmed Intel received.
  • 1.3L DDIS to come with SHVS tech
  • 1.6L DDIS to be scrapped. Apparently for the handful of cars that they sold, Maruti got too many complaints and warranty claims for that engine, and was labelled as a problematic one. Even the engine oil used wasn't readily available.
  • Base models to receive some new features
  • Features on the Top end Alpha variant to remain more or less same
  • 1.5L Petrol and 1.5L in house diesel to come next year.
  • Sales Training will be complete by 15th of this month.
  • Service training will be a shorter one, and will commence from 15th
Thanks for the info @Leoshashi Very sad on Maruti's part not to launch petrol and petrol+auto despite visible excitement & anticipation among prospective car buyers for petrol variant.

Any clue as to why Maruti offered limited training on 1.5L petrol engine if the launch will take place next year along with 1.5L diesel engine? And why not also train RMs on the 1.5L diesel engine?

The only reason I can think of is that Maruti will launch new S-Cross with 1.3L diesel now with petrol launch around December with deliveries from January 2018. Though this still does not explain as to why only limited training and not a full fledged training. I would have expected them to impart training only on 1.3L diesel now with training for other engines closer to launch.

There was following news in ACI last year that Maruti could launch S-Cross with 1.5L petrol engine. ACI news is usually reliable so I am sure Maruti would have started testing since last year. Not sure why such a delay.

Quote:
Maruti is planning to offer the S-cross with a M15 1.5-litre petrol engine. The move is in response to the rise in demand for petrol options following the widespread anti-diesel sentiments. The M15 is a 1,490cc, four-cylinder engine which produces 100hp at 5,900rpm and 133Nm of torque at 4,100rpm
http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...e-works-402240

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
So glad that I grabbed the last piece of the 1.6 model from my dealer's stockyard last month! Awaiting delivery on the auspicious occasion of Dussehra!
Lucky you as most of the buyers I believe struggled to get their hands on 1.6 model from July itself. Also kudos to your patience of booking a car available in dealers stockyard and waiting for 2 months to bring it home

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
This is it. I'm done and dusted with following the S-Cross facelift. It was such a painful wait and an equally painful end. Going to cancel my booking today. Now Ford, treat me well with the facelift please. To me, this is such half-hearted ill minded work from Maruti. Go brag your 1.3 clatter.
There are 3 SUV/ CUVs which will get launched soon
*Maruti S-Cross - September
*Renault Captur - October
*Ford Ecosport - November

Given that Ford Ecosport facelift will be the last model of these 3 to get launched this year, the best thing to do would be to hold on to your current booking and hope for a surprise at S-Cross launch. Maybe they will share more info on 1.5L petrol and diesel engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
  • No major changes in features
  • Variants are same
  • Tyres have been up sized to 215 from 205
  • New Blue colour

http://www.cartoq.com/exclusive-maru...before-launch/
If true, disappointing again. While S-Cross is well loaded, would have expected Maruti to offer 6 airbags and rear AC vents in the top variants. Seems like Maruti is going for more of cosmetic changes on the outside while retaining interiors seen in the existing model.

While this is not a deal breaker for me, non-availability of petrol engine + auto is definitely a deal breaker.

Also the following BMW blue is much better the one available in Ciaz
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh-scross.jpg  

Last edited by damager21 : 9th September 2017 at 09:40.
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 10:27   #588
BHPian

Maruti is one brand which always knows the pulse of the market, that said this launch is quite confusing. I can understand scrapping of the 1.6 diesel whether one likes it or not. But what is the point of launching it in the 1.3 guise for a just a year if the 1.5 is going to join later? That too a hybrid which makes it expensive than before. Maybe Maruti didn't expect gst to affect hybrids and when it has done they had no plan b. In non gst scenario this would have made the car cheaper than before. Also I think this 1.3 engine is going to serve atleast the next 3 years with the 1.5 being an additional variant like the 1.6 did in its later years. Like many here, I too was hoping for a petrol automatic. Disappointed as of now.

Last edited by 400notout : 9th September 2017 at 10:28.
Old 9th September 2017, 10:31   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
If true, disappointing again. While S-Cross is well loaded, would have expected Maruti to offer 6 airbags and rear AC vents in the top variants. Seems like Maruti is going for more of cosmetic changes on the outside while retaining interiors seen in the existing model.

While this is not a deal breaker for me, non-availability of petrol engine + auto is definitely a deal breaker.

Also the following BMW blue is much better the one available in Ciaz
A fully loaded petrol automatic or even a manual with 6 airbags & rear ac would have made this a really good option . However we tend to forget various other safety features which are included by other manufacturers such as Traction Control , Electronic Stability control & Hill Descend / Ascend Control which find no mention in a Suzuki .

Last edited by drift2race : 9th September 2017 at 10:33.
Old 9th September 2017, 11:28   #590
BHPian

As far as I understand Suzuki, they must have had a clear roadmap of slowly transforming from Gasoline to Mild hybrid to Hybrid to EV. But GOI has thrown a spanner in the works with Gadkari's Tughlaqesque diktats. Let's see how they recover.
Old 9th September 2017, 12:34   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

I met one Nexa RM today who has attended S-Cross training. The main marketing points are Muscular bonnet, Led Projectors with DRL, Aggressive front looks, SVHS and 25 kmpl FE. There will be same 4 variants and tyre size is 215/60 R16 standard. He told me that the interiors are same as outgoing S-Cross. I was sad to hear that 1.6 is discontinued because of "Negative Feedback". The car will be launched by end of this month and Media drive is scheduled on September 28th.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 9th September 2017 at 12:35.
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 13:33   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
I can understand scrapping of the 1.6 diesel whether one likes it or not. But what is the point of launching it in the 1.3 guise for a just a year if the 1.5 is going to join later? That too a hybrid which makes it expensive than before. Maybe Maruti didn't expect gst to affect hybrids and when it has done they had no plan b. In non gst scenario this would have made the car cheaper than before. Also I think this 1.3 engine is going to serve atleast the next 3 years with the 1.5 being an additional variant like the 1.6 did in its later years.
I don't know who spread the news about the 1.5L homegrown diesel entering the SCross within a year. It is first scheduled for the Ciaz followed by Dzire. Maruti isn't going to touch the SCross again till they fully replace it with a new model as per me. Maybe then we'll get the 1.5L in SCross. In any case diesel engines have no future. I can say this confidently because I work for a company that deals with engine parts.

Last edited by Carma2017 : 9th September 2017 at 13:34.
Carma2017 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 10:14   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
They'll milk that engine to its last possible piece on this earth. Maruti still has 2+ years left before the engine is put to rest, till then they'll definitely continue with the silly 1.3 DDiS in all their cars.
I've driven the S Cross 1.3L for a long road trip and driven a Swift VDi for over a lac kms over a 7 year period. I think the 1.3L DDIS engine is fantastic. Very punchy, fuel efficient and refined. Why do you think its a "Silly" engine.

BTW, Maruti is seeing a lot of continued demand for cars using this engine, and why should'nt they milk it if they can? You want them to scrap a proven popular engine ? Why?
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 10:54   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I've driven the S Cross 1.3L for a long road trip and driven a Swift VDi for over a lac kms over a 7 year period. I think the 1.3L DDIS engine is fantastic. Very punchy, fuel efficient and refined. Why do you think its a "Silly" engine.

BTW, Maruti is seeing a lot of continued demand for cars using this engine, and why should'nt they milk it if they can? You want them to scrap a proven popular engine ? Why?
He termed that 1.3 Multijet as Silly due to the fact that S-Cross is their most Premium Offering & powering it with the same engine that powers the cheaper Ignis, Dzire, Swift etc doesn't sound good. That 1.6 should have been the only engine for this car, but thanks to the Funny Categorisation of Segment's by Indian Govt., Maruti were forced to use that 1.3 for lower price point.

Even if Maruti launches New S-Cross roundabout 2020, I expect it to be powered by that new 1.5 Diesel, but at same time that'll be powering all other cars in their range as well. So, S-Cross doesn't have anything to match its premium positioning.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 13:49   #595
BANNED

Quote:
Why do you think its a "Silly" engine.

My term silly was in reference to Maruti using that 1.3L DDiS in all cars they have. I too have decent experience with that 1.3L DDiS:

Ritz VDI - 1,07,959 kms
Swift ZDi - 1,23,533 kms
Ertiga ZDi - 10,000 (actual odo is 61K of which my contribution is 10K approx).

I find it a bad combination of this engine with the Ertiga (I know Ertiga owners will flame me for this but I am sorry that's what I feel), I just don't like driving that car with the 1.3L DDiS. Feels a lot of underpowered, strained post 2300 rpm compared to the other two cars I have used (I know Swift vs Ertiga is wrong to compare in any parameters). I can't imagine how it would be in the S-Cross.

My question is how long do they want to keep using that small motor in each and every car? The competition has moved ahead, when will Maruti wake up? This engine is good till the Swift/Dzire, anything larger in dimensions isn't worthy.

I may be wrong but that's what I feel after having used this engine for almost 2.4 lakh kms.

They don't need to scrap it at all. It is the best small sized engine ever seen in a car!! All I want Maruti is to limit this engine to the Swift, Baleno, Ignis and Dzire.

Ertiga, Brezza, S-Cross, Ciaz all need a powerful engine.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th September 2017 at 13:56.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:03   #596
BHPian

Facelift is confirmed with 1.3 SHVS and LED headlamp with DRL limited to Alpha variant: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/166376-maruti-s-cross-official-review-534.html#post4267634.
Sad to see the 1.6 DDiS go
Old 11th September 2017, 16:10   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Confirmed Intel received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
No major changes in features
Extremely conservative from Maruti. I guess as a strategy, they are happier being conservative and continue targeting the mass market and not the enthusiasts. Surely they understand this and hence the 50%+ market share.

I personally was looking forward to an automatic option in the S-Cross (or Brezza) regardless of petrol or diesel. I guess now that dream has come to an end. Hopefully in the Auto Expo, there might be a surprise.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:17   #598
Senior - BHPian

Considering the R&D budget they have, that too in diesel market, 1.5l diesel motor from suzuki is more of a necessity I feel. We will see this on bigger cars churning similar figures as honda(if not worse) but I wish they started work on this much earlier
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:38   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
He termed that 1.3 Multijet as Silly due to the fact that S-Cross is their most Premium Offering & powering it with the same engine that powers the cheaper Ignis, Dzire, Swift etc doesn't sound good. That 1.6 should have been the only engine for this car, but thanks to the Funny Categorisation of Segment's by Indian Govt., Maruti were forced to use that 1.3 for lower price point.
Hmmm, when Maruti launched the S Cross, they did launch both the 1.3 & 1.6 engines. I think the market showed (very clearly) which engine it preferred.

Being automobile enthusiasts, we often want bigger engines, and feel that a 1.3 litre is underpowered for a premium car, but most car buyers are not enthusiasts and very often the cars we might like, do not appeal to them. Case in point being Fiat cars, Grand Vitara, Kizashi, Lancer, etc...

Maruti is only doing the sensible thing by plonking the 1.3 engine in S cross, since the market is lapping up that engine versus the 1.6. Its called listening to the voice of the customer.

With regards to fears that the engine is underpowered, I've driven it for a longish road trip cross country and I did'nt get that feeling at all. Have you driven it personally?

Would I prefer a bigger engine? Yes, but I also want affordability, which is the reason I might happily settle for the 1.3.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 13:28   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmmm, when Maruti launched the S Cross, they did launch both the 1.3 & 1.6 engines. I think the market showed (very clearly) which engine it preferred.
Not quite correct. What they market showed them (very clearly) was that they were charging a very hefty premium for the 1.6, which many were not quite prepared to pay!

If Hyundai has more demand for the 1.6 Creta and Verna, as compared to the 1.4 - I don't see reasons why Maruti shouldn't have been able to sell the 1.6 either, if not for the pricing!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks