Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which design of S-Cross do you like better?
Current design is better 150 23.44%
Facelifted look is much better 297 46.41%
It's a matter of personal taste but actually both look good 59 9.22%
Neither of the two look any good to me 134 20.94%
Voters: 640. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 14:04   #601
BANNED

re: 2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hmmm, when Maruti launched the S Cross, they did launch both the 1.3 & 1.6 engines. I think the market showed (very clearly) which engine it preferred.
Maruti did launch the S-Cross with the 1.6L but the pricing was an astronomical disaster. That made everyone run away and get themselves the 'Cheaper' Hyundai Creta which is already over-priced by a lakh. Creta at that time was cheaper so it sold.

After sense dawned into the heads @ Maruti Suzuki, they shaved off 2 lakhs from the sticker price which made it a complete VFM but it still didn't sell well!! Reason I feel is the damage to that "1.6L engine + S-Cross" combination was already done. The market isn't forgiving as it was 4 to 5 years back. Any mistake, the car can be written off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If Hyundai has more demand for the 1.6 Creta and Verna, as compared to the 1.4 - I don't see reasons why Maruti shouldn't have been able to sell the 1.6 either, if not for the pricing!
+100
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 12:45   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Maruti did launch the S-Cross with the 1.6L but the pricing was an astronomical disaster. That made everyone run away and get themselves the 'Cheaper' Hyundai Creta which is already over-priced by a lakh. Creta at that time was cheaper so it sold.

After sense dawned into the heads @ Maruti Suzuki, they shaved off 2 lakhs from the sticker price which made it a complete VFM but it still didn't sell well!! Reason I feel is the damage to that "1.6L engine + S-Cross" combination was already done. The market isn't forgiving as it was 4 to 5 years back. Any mistake, the car can be written off.
Thats one perspective, however, the fact is that both the 1.3 and 1.6 were overpriced at launch, and both saw a price correction subsequently. The sales picked up for the 1.3, not for the 1.6.

Also, customers of the 1.3 seem pretty satisfied with the engine. The S Cross does not seem underpowered at all. Hence it continues to sell in decent volumes.

Why should MSIL discontinue an engine that is being accepted by the market? They will upgrade the engine only when it is actually required by new regulations, better competition or consumer demand. Currently there is no such impetus.
Old 13th September 2017, 13:11   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Thats one perspective, however, the fact is that both the 1.3 and 1.6 were overpriced at launch, and both saw a price correction subsequently. The sales picked up for the 1.3, not for the 1.6.

Also, customers of the 1.3 seem pretty satisfied with the engine. The S Cross does not seem underpowered at all. Hence it continues to sell in decent volumes.

Why should MSIL discontinue an engine that is being accepted by the market? They will upgrade the engine only when it is actually required by new regulations, better competition or consumer demand. Currently there is no such impetus.
Most of the S Cross owners I know are not very happy with the 1.3 L engine and admitted that they really enjoyed the 1.6 version more during the test drive but opted for 1.3 L as it was much cheaper. Most of the people are unwilling to pay high premium just for the engine if everything else is same from outside 😐
akshat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 17:23   #604
BHPian

Nexa RM at Kolkata confirmed that the bookings are now open for the new S-Cross. Every model would be 1.3 with SHVS and projector headlamps will be available in all the Trims. DRL is reserved for Alpha.
ankitbhutoria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 17:57   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Without the 1.6 I just don't see how Maruti will manage to woo customers to buy the SCross just with this face-lift. The additions may be nice (although I have voted for 'Current Design is Better' long ago) but to the customer, paying a similar amount of money to get a "SUV looking" butch Brezza will still be more of a inclination than buying the SCross. It will still end up being a niche car mostly.

That pull of an SUV which the Brezza satisfies cannot be countered by the SCross till it has the same 1.3. People will ignore the premium features vs the street creed.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 19:04   #606
BHPian

On that point, I disagree. If I was in the market for a manual car with a diesel engine, the S-Cross would be my first choice, even with the 1.3 engine. One look at the interior furnishings and space of the S-Cross and the Brezza loses most of its appeal. If you then decide to take them both for a drive, the far more planted ride and sorted dynamics of the S-Cross completely win you over. It is no contest if you can look below the skin.

That said, the market may not hold the opinion I do.
aryayush is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 19:12   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

That said, the market may not hold the opinion I do.
Exactly. Thats what I meant. The masses are simply nuts about the SUV. Not that it doesn't have its benefits. In our conditions the higher seating of an SUV certainly is very useful. But most buy one for just the style quotient & the satisfaction of one tick in the bucket list. SUV.

I have seen both & Brezza does not even come near the quality and finish inside the SCross. But then - the numbers say it all. Brezza outsells the SCross like a joke. The face-lift that is coming, has nothing that will actually change this or increase the sales of the car in my opinion. That's what I meant. I'm not saying it is not a good car already . It is.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 21:11   #608
BHPian

Media drive of the new S-Cross will take place on 27th September with official launch in October.

S-Cross is a capable crossover with the right mix of features, only power-train is a problem
-Should continue with diesel 1.6L engine till their own 1.5L engine is ready
-Should launch petrol variant with automatic transmission

With above 2 fix, Maruti could easily clock over 5k units per month. Looks like Maruti has missed a trick here.

Renault Captur, another crossover, will be officially launched on 25th September. Captur is expected to be priced significantly higher than the S-Cross. Will be interesting to see the price difference between the two
damager21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 08:28   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Media drive of the new S-Cross will take place on 27th September with official launch in October.
My source has started that the launch would be on 20th of this month. Maybe he wants to push my Polo purchase decision.
Old 15th September 2017, 15:17   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
S-Cross is a capable crossover with the right mix of features, only power-train is a problem
-Should continue with diesel 1.6L engine till their own 1.5L engine is ready
This will invite higher cess under >1500cc engine category making it even more pricier. Makes not much economic sense.
I read somewhere, 1600cc MJD may be dead in India, days are for 2000cc MJD (one in Compass)
anubhav22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 11:26   #611
VR4
BHPian

The prices of all variants of S Cross have not increased post revision of GST, whereas the prices of Hyundai, Honda, Toyota have increased. Any idea why this is so? The Nexa website still shows the prices (pre GST revision) as Rs.10,85,960.00 and Rs.11,96,854.00 for 1.3 and 1.6 respectively in Secunderabad. Is Maruti still holding some stocks of 1.6?
Old 16th September 2017, 20:22   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4 View Post
The prices of all variants of S Cross have not increased post revision of GST, whereas the prices of Hyundai, Honda, Toyota have increased. Any idea why this is so? The Nexa website still shows the prices (pre GST revision) as Rs.10,85,960.00 and Rs.11,96,854.00 for 1.3 and 1.6 respectively in Secunderabad. Is Maruti still holding some stocks of 1.6?
Just met a friend who's working at NEXA. The prices are going to be revised next week. He also confirmed that the new S-Cross will have the SHVS 1.3L diesel mill (same as Ertiga & Ciaz). Another interesting thing he mentioned is that all variants of the new S-Cross will have projector headlamps as a standard feature unlike the current one where it's exclusive to the Alpha variants.
sunejarahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 17:39   #613
BHPian

Saw one registered S-Cross 1.6 parked in office today in Kerala. Another lucky guy/gal to lay hands on these I guess!
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Suzuki S-Cross facelift leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.49 lakh-img_20170918_130227287.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 16:37   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki will launch the S-Cross Facelift in India on September 26th.

link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th September 2017 at 16:39.
Old 19th September 2017, 17:30   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
Just met a friend who's working at NEXA. The prices are going to be revised next week. He also confirmed that the new S-Cross will have the SHVS 1.3L diesel mill (same as Ertiga & Ciaz). Another interesting thing he mentioned is that all variants of the new S-Cross will have projector headlamps as a standard feature unlike the current one where it's exclusive to the Alpha variants.
If this is true, hope that the Maruti folks equip the incoming variants with better projectors than the ones currently on, which are unusable for any kind of night driving. At least the Zeta and below variants had an option to do a cheap replacement, if all of them come with projectors, then
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks