Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 11:32   #16

re: Kia Motors coming to India

Spotted the same test mule in Velachery Traffic Signal yesterday. The Venga looks quite similar to the Jazz in size and since this is built on the same platform as the i20 - it could give the competition a good run for the money if it gets launched in the B+ segment with added premium features like the sunroof and touchscreen navigation
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Motors coming to India-fullsizerender.jpg  

Kia Motors coming to India-fullsizerender-1.jpg  

apn6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 13:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

S. Korea's Kia Motors expected to pick site for first India plant next month

The move would enable Kia to leverage the existing supplier base of its affiliate Hyundai Motor Co, India's second-biggest automaker by sales.

Quote:
The states of Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat have all been wooing Kia.. One of the two, an official with the Andhra Pradesh administration, said the state - which neighbours Tamil Nadu, home of Hyundai's existing plants near Chennai - is the frontrunner.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd July 2016 at 13:03.
Old 12th August 2016, 09:18   #18
BHPian

Rumor: Kia Motors to announce INR 5,000 crore investment in 2 weeks.

It is learnt that Kia Motors India chief Mr.H W Park (Ex-Hyundai India chief) would announce an investment of INR 5,000 crore in the next two weeks. Major chunk of this amount would be allocated to the development of manufacturing plant in Andhra Pradesh with annual production capacity of 3,00,000 cars.

Kia Motors expects Mr.Park to leverage his expertise and the Indian market knowledge to speed up all the proceedings.

Source
Old 16th August 2016, 16:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to do a 'Datsun' with Kia

Earlier this year, we had reported that Korean automotive manufacturer - Kia Motors, a subsidiary of the Hyundai Motor Group, is planning to enter the Indian market by the end of 2019. However, if recent reports are to be believed, instead of simply bringing-in its global models to India, the automaker plans to develop all-new products that are specifically built for the Indian market. By doing so, Kia is reportedly aiming to compete against the country's largest car maker, Maruti Suzuki, in the small car segment.

Hyundai India has already cleared its intentions to focus on the premium segment with cars like the Creta and the Elite i20. As a result, Kia is expected to fill in the void left in the sub Rs. 4.5 lakh marketplace. The success of cars such as the Renault Kwid, Tata Tiago, and Datsun redi-GO show that there is a demand for 'value for money' products. This is the segment that Kia is planning to target in the Indian car market.

The aforementioned brand placement strategy being adopted by Hyundai and Kia reminds us of something similar that Nissan did with the Datsun brand in India - two different brands catering to two different market segments.

In order to do so, Kia has already set up an R&D centre in Hyderabad. This centre is responsible for studying the Indian automotive market and developing India-specific products.

The Korean automaker is also in talks with various state governments for finalizing the location of its manufacturing plant in India. Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu seem to be the front-runners.

Source: Business Standard

Kia Motors coming to India-kiaandhyundaicouldchallengemarketleadersinchina45220_1.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 16th August 2016 at 17:08.
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:09   #20
BHPian

Re: Hyundai to do a 'Datsun' with Kia

Well that's just sad.

Kia makes some pretty good, VFM cars that sell really well globally. It would have been really nice to see cars like the Sportage, the Optima and the little Picanto here.

But because we're only Indian, we'll have to settle for cheaply made, unsafe contraptions with a Kia badge on the front?

No thanks, Hyundai. You can keep them for yourself.
Speed.Demon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
But because we're only Indian, we'll have to settle for cheaply made, unsafe contraptions with a Kia badge on the front?

No thanks, Hyundai. You can keep them for yourself.
Oh well, too soon to comment and close the case like this. Kia is not a Chinese car maker with no image, so I expect these guys to come up with something unique and attractive looking to entice the Kwid customers. Also, hoping our Government would have INCAP or some other crash testing program to be standardized by 2019, hence making sure only safe cars would be sold here
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Kia is not a Chinese car maker with no image
Neither are Nissan and Renault.

Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong, but until it happens I'm going to be a bit sceptical whenever an international manufacturer mentions 'made for India'
Speed.Demon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:36   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I ve driven two specific KIA models in the US. One is the KIA SOUL and the other is the KIA Sportage.
Both are alsolutely first class vehicles. Don't pooh-pooh them just because they are Korean.
My friend's wife in Sydney works for KIA and they own a Sportage - it is fabulous. Great value for money.

The whole of last week I was touring Jordan in a private automobile which just happened to by a Hyundai Sonata BLUE DRIVE.

Top Class vehicle!
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Not done Hyundai.

Just launch the Kia models as it is. I know there will be cross brand shopping but ultimately, it is money coming into the same organization right?

I have driven the Optima here in Dubai and it is way better than the Sonata. The same applies for Cerato v/s the Elantra, Picanto v/s the i10 and the Rio v/s the Accent.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 17:53   #25
BHPian

Why do I feel Hyundai is suddenly trying to be too premium too soon?

While they make lovely cars now, such a move might backfire on them.

On the other end of the spectrum, can be expect more not too VFM deals from them like the Creta which is a bit overpriced and under-equipped, relatively?
Parth46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 18:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Why do I feel Hyundai is suddenly trying to be too premium too soon?

While they make lovely cars now, such a move might backfire on them.

On the other end of the spectrum, can be expect more not too VFM deals from them like the Creta which is a bit overpriced and under-equipped, relatively?
"Too Premium Too soon" They better be fast if they want to get into this segment. Maruti Suzuki has already forayed into this segment a little over a year back and is making inroads really fast. Hyundai cannot let them capture this segment and then fight for it. If they have to launch a brand in the segment that their cars are occupying they have no choice but to move northwards.

Also why are so quick in judging that if its a Built for India its going to be a mediocre product to say the least. Let's hope that Hyundai doesn't go the Suzuki way!
Old 16th August 2016, 18:46   #27
BHPian

When Hyundai tries to bring another brand into India, I hope their research clearly shows that, it is the B2 segment and above that are growing better than the lower segments, since India has moved up in the value chain.
Renault succeeded in selling Kwid, not because it is a low cost product, but it is a better alternative to Alto. It is also seen in some cases that, those who actually want a bigger hatchback ended up buying the Kwid, just for the looks.
Building a brand, and establishing a defined purpose for the brand takes time. If Hyundai wants to put Kia for low cost cars, Hyundai brand for premium cars, and Genesis for luxury cars in India, this is the right time to begin - as there are a lot of new car buyers in India having different requirements.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 19:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this move is necessary. Nissan tried to act 'cool' by having a second brand even when the first one isn't doing well. Hyundai doesn't really need another brand at this stage, they need to just focus on developing a hatchback to compete with the Kwid/Alto.

Since Hyundai has got the brand image and the customers trust, they should really invest in some premium products that can get them fat margins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Neither are Nissan and Renault.
BNVSAP is coming and it is hopefully a comprehensive policy with respect to safety. So I think all manufacturers will rush to meet the norms.

Renault and Nissan are formidable brands in the international markets, but their products in India are not really anything close to their models sold in the first world markets.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 20:31   #29
BHPian

Very disappointing. I was expecting that Kia will open new segments by launching hot cars like Cee'd here.
(Realized later that Cee'd is exclusively made for the European market. )

They can still launch the other models sold in Europe, maybe with less kit. Too bad Hyundai. Didn't expect you to pull an "Etios" on us. Hyundai cars sell because of very similar models (except the structure ) in India. They even launch cars in India in line with global launches.

Just look at this beauty:
Kia Motors coming to India-kia_ceed_1.6_crdi_128_spirit.jpg

Image Source: Wikipedia
jetti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 23:59   #30
BHPian

Cool guys,

Lets not keep speculating without concrete information. What if Hyundai gives a segment defining A segment car under Kia with say dual airbags and ABS as standard???

All we know is Hyundai has planned to launch Kia, so lets hold our horses till actually things materialize.

Lets always hope for the best. Remember if an automobile company can launch a sub brand successfully it is Hyundai with its marketing might and reach only second to MSIL.

As for now, this is good news, new company means more competition which is good for us, the customers
Karthik Chandra is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed