Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 12:33   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Motors coming to India

Talk about entering in a big way! I don't think Maruti & Hyundai are going to be as worried as the other smaller players in the mass market segments. Kia plans to invest Rs. 12,000 crore in 2 years . This is a company clearly going for volumes. It's not going to be satisfied with 4,000 - 5,000 sales a month.

Full Economic Times Article.

It's going to be a treat to watch how the giant establishes its base. Fun days ahead.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 18:14   #92
BHPian

I am glad that KIA entering wholeheartedly into Indian market instead of testing waters. There were reports initially that some of the Hyundai products will be made in this new KIA factory. But if the target is to sell 3 lakh vehicles in just 3 years after stating operation, then may be plans have changed.

Necessary site clearances, leveling the ground as it is a bit rocky terrain, electricity connectivity, road connectivity, water supply works are being by the state govt of AP at a great pace. Ground breaking ceremony was supposed to happen in the first week of August but was postponed because of some by-election. There was code of conduct in place apparently.

I really hope the entry of KIA brings some necessary competition to Indian car market. With Hyundai being settled at around 40,000 vehicles, there is no other company that is really challenging Maruti Juggernaut which is consistently selling 50% of the total cars.
Old 10th August 2017, 07:03   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Picanto likely to launch In India by 2019.

Quote:
The 2017 Picanto takes power from one of three gasoline engines including a brand new 1.0-litre turbocharged direct injected T-GDI petrol unit. The other engines produce around 100 horsepower and will have improved fuel economy. It may share components with the Grand i10 when the brand enters India and will be an attractive hatchback option.
Kia Motors coming to India-kiapicantoindia.jpg

Kia Picanto along with Kia Cerato, Sorento and Sportage SUV showcased in India to prospective dealers.

Kia Motors coming to India-kiasportageindia.jpg
Kia Motors coming to India-kiaceratoindia.jpg

link
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 13:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

Heard an interesting point from someone who has joined the Kia India team.

More than half the "expressions of interest" from prospective dealer partners, who all have signed up to be present at the KIA roadshow across various indian cities in the coming weeks, are from existing Tata and Nissan dealers!
Also, unwritten understanding that people holding existing Hyundai dealer franchises should refrain from applying either in their name or immediate family member's name.
Interesting !
arjab is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 14:52   #95
BHPian

I had the opportunity to sit next to one of the top Hyundai guys on a flight a couple years ago. He did hint that Kia will be entering the Indian market shortly and a lot of research is being done. If I remember correctly, we discussed the Kia Soul and how it would be appropriate for the Indian market. I wonder if that is the model which is on the anvil for our shores.
Old 10th August 2017, 15:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

Few months back I got a chance to drive the Kia Carens in UK, its an MPV which can be pitted directly against Ertiga and it is much better in terms of looks, engine refinement (diesel) and parts quality.
I wish they showed interest in selling the Carens in India, I for one would have definitely considered it even if it was offered with a premium (like Hyundai does)
Old 10th August 2017, 16:15   #97
BHPian

Kia normally markets itself to be more premium than Hyundai in Europe, which it really is. If they plan to do the same in India, I fail to understand how they are going to get high volumes of sales!

The will have to cut into the volumes of maruti and hyundai to get their target volumes, and for that the need to have a very strong portfolio of products under the 10 lac segment.

However, I personally feel that Kia would best fit as a parallel brand to Honda, or a brand slightly lower than Honda and higher than Hyundai. They have good products which can compete directly with the Honda City, Jazz/i20 and even the dusters and the ecosports to some extent.
ishankpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 11:24   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Talk about entering in a big way! I don't think Maruti & Hyundai are going to be as worried as the other smaller players in the mass market segments. Kia plans to invest Rs. 12,000 crore in 2 years . This is a company clearly going for volumes. It's not going to be satisfied with 4,000 - 5,000 sales a month.

Full Economic Times Article.

It's going to be a treat to watch how the giant establishes its base. Fun days ahead.
The biggest leverage is Hyundai's vendor network. They are locating technically not too far from Chennai so it will be easy to load balance demand.

An additional plus is the dormant Chevy, Tata, Skoda and even VW dealer network

Kia is in a good position to walk in and start with large volumes. All they need to do is focus on branding and awareness
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 10:30   #99
BHPian

Kia showed 7 cars to dealers. Looks like they will expand their total lineup quickly covering all bases after starting with 3 vehicles.

All the vehicles that are shown and their likely Hyundai competition:

1. Sportage: Mid size SUV. In USA it competes with Hyundai Tucson.

2. Rio: Hatchback is shown which will go against the likes of i20 and Baleno. Most likely they will launch its sedan version as well to compete against Ciaz and City.

3. Sorento: Large SUV.

4. Niro: mid-size crossover.

5. Optima: Premium sedan

6. Cerato: Small sedan only available in few markets like Australia.

7. Picanto: small hatchback competes with i10

Source: http://www.cartoq.com/exclusive-pict...lers-in-india/
Old 16th August 2017, 14:12   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The biggest leverage is Hyundai's vendor network. They are locating technically not too far from Chennai so it will be easy to load balance demand.
But didn't they mention diversification of supply channels?

Quote:
The Tamil Nadu government quoted the letter written by Han-Woo Park, CEO and President Kia Motors: "...we very regretfully will not be able to consider the state of Tamil Nadu for Kia's potential greenfield project in India due to the business needs and requirements of our company and stakeholders, including, without limitation, geographical diversification, branding differentiation and diversification of supply channels and so forth.

"Under such business needs and requirements of our company and stakeholders, I hope you kindly understand that we have not established our overseas plants in the same states where the plants of Hyundai Motor Company are located (such as in the United States of America, China, Europe)."
Source: Report in The Economic Times

Quote:
An additional plus is the dormant Chevy, Tata, Skoda and even VW dealer network
The Chevy dealers could be a good leverage. However, people were unhappy with Chevy dealers in many cities. The Chevy hangover on the dealers could be bad for Kia's image building. The other dealerships that you mention are dormant for a good reasons that have partly to do with the dealerships themselves.

Quote:
Kia is in a good position to walk in and start with large volumes. All they need to do is focus on branding and awareness
Old 16th August 2017, 14:29   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
But didn't they mention diversification of supply channels?

The Chevy dealers could be a good leverage. However, people were unhappy with Chevy dealers in many cities. The Chevy hangover on the dealers could be bad for Kia's image building. The other dealerships that you mention are dormant for a good reasons that have partly to do with the dealerships themselves.
1: In the long term, yes, but developing the supplier base takes time, Am certain, they will use almost the same suppliers. Having an existing supply base until they grow and achieve economies of scale will be key

2: As for dealers, the Chevy dealers are only one set of folks, people were unhappy as the dealers were unhappy. Knock on effect. If Kia provides a decent proposition, attitudes will change.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th August 2017 at 08:05.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 11:49   #102

With Kia coming to India, will it hamper the sales volume of Hyundai?? Kia is sold as a comparatively premium brand elsewhere in the world. It would be interesting to see if Kia's entry will have any major effect on Maruti, or will it eat it's own sibling!
Old 21st August 2017, 13:42   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishankpatel View Post
However, I personally feel that Kia would best fit as a parallel brand to Honda, or a brand slightly lower than Honda and higher than Hyundai.
Do people still regard Honda as a more premium brand than Hyundai these days ? Apart from the older generation, my observation is Hyundai is considered more premium with all their bells and whistles and obviously the interiors.
Old 30th August 2017, 13:03   #104
BHPian

Looks like the construction of the plant is in full swing near Anantpur. Its on the Hyd-Blr national highway. 100s earth movers in action.
C300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 13:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Looks like the construction of the plant is in full swing near Anantpur. Its on the Hyd-Blr national highway. 100s earth movers in action.
Oh i saw that last week, was wondering what the hell was it. 100's of machines.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed