Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 14:01   #121
BANNED

Re: Kia Motors coming to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big thanks to Arun GV for sharing!
The reason for building such a huge plant may be:

Hyundai plant is running almost on the full capacity, though we've not yet heard about any capacity constraint there. But in the future, if they face any capacity constraint in the Hyundai plants, this Kia plant can act as a supplier for Hyundai.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 11th December 2017 at 14:09.
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:57   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Meet the boss of Kia India. Based on my (limited) interaction with the Kia team so far, I can tell you that they mean business. They are coming in a very hard & aggressive way.

Quote:
Kia Motors India (KMI) has today announced the appointment of Kookhyun Shim as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer with immediate effect. Shim will be responsible for driving Kia Motors’ expansion in the Indian market.

Shim will play a leading role in ensuring KMI’s projected timeline and schedule of operations is achieved. He will also oversee the construction of Kia Motor’s first manufacturing facility in India, to help strengthen the company’s position in the fifth largest global automotive market. Kia’s future development in the Indian market will be supported by a US$ 1.1 billion investment.

Shim, 58, brings over 30 years’ experience in the automotive industry to his new role, having most recently served as Head of Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia Plant Coordination Group. Prior to this, he was responsible for the head coordinator of Kia production in Slovakia.

“Kia has big plans for India,” commented Kookhyun Shim, new MD & CEO of KMI. “The Indian economy is at an inflection point, and I am excited to work in an emerging market that’s forecasted to become the third largest globally by 2021. India is a crucial market for all global automotive brands, and I aim to replicate the success that Kia has seen in many other major markets. Kia’s brand slogan, ‘The Power to Surprise’, will be present in everything we do here.”
Kia Motors coming to India-kookhyun-shim-02_kmi.jpg
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 23:47   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kia Sorento has been spotted completely undisguised in India by a RushLane reader.

Quote:
Based on the same platform as the Hyundai Santa Fe, Sorento you seen in the images is the GT Line variant which is the top of the line variant of the Sorento.
The Kia Sorento which has been spied, wears the number AP02BP2454. When the number is checked in the national registry, it returns this – “Vehicle Details Not Found. Verify the Vehicle No or Contact Registering Authority for digitization the details.”
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 09:09   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Meet the boss of Kia India. Based on my (limited) interaction with the Kia team so far, I can tell you that they mean business. They are coming in a very hard & aggressive way.
This is really exciting! Kia cars have a more European feel to it along with Asian reliability. I won’t be surprised if they make a head-start with the segments where Hyundai is struggling – in the Tucson space.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:22   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Kia Sorento has been spotted completely undisguised in India by a RushLane reader.
Are these on test or management cars? It has normal plates
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 15:04   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Are these on test or management cars? It has normal plates
I think this particular car is used by management. A search on AP RTO website reveals it's registered in name of KIA Motors.

Kia Motors coming to India-registration.png

I heard from my friend whose is closely associated with construction in KIA site that the KIA management will either be importing the 16 KIA vehicles or use locally made Hyundai Creta.
Nikhs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 21:41   #127
Senior - BHPian

So of the top of my head I'd say that Kia considers the Sorrento and the Creta to be their safest (for rear seat passengers) models.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 14:00   #128
Senior - BHPian

I did my trip two days back to Mantralaya through Anantpur route and I spotted this construction site near pettukonda. Damn the site is so humongous in size and I’m sure Kia is all set to make their impression in hearts and on tarmac! Spotted few new Creta’s driving out of the plant and I believe the executives were around. It’s happening on a large scale.

They’re scaling up pretty quick is what I see from the pics shared back from Nov on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Motors coming to India-51d882cba16343888452d340ebfa2f70.jpeg  

Kia Motors coming to India-a037180c1d254ed9a6763becc1716eb4.jpeg  

Kia Motors coming to India-78fc5d4d339c4945a7f2661a8cecd869.jpeg  

Kia Motors coming to India-70fe31d7267d4ffeba766deced77366f.jpeg  

Kia Motors coming to India-c4d9ed1df6c4451d86fd050b1f1c3e50.jpeg  

gururajrv is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 01:59   #129
BHPian

A few days ago, I saw the news about Kookhyun Shim being appointed as the MD and CEO of Kia India. Then I thought to check out their website. I noticed that they have a picture of the Kia Stinger in the carousel on homepage. Though that doesn't mean that they will definitively launch it here, but still I have hopes.

Kia Motors coming to India-kiastingerindia.png

Hopefully they showcase some cars in the 2018 AutoExpo.
maker_of_things is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 09:38   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Lot of the Korean KIA expats are renting and staying near the Yelahanka to Devanahalli stretch because of the easy access to the site, coupled with the international schools like CIS, Stonehill & MAIS.

Think about it. It will take them 1.5 hours at safe speeds to reach the Penukonda site roughly 100 km away from D'halli. It takes me longer to reach MG Road on a bad day :-(
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 09:48   #131
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Lot of the Korean KIA expats are renting and staying near the Yelahanka to Devanahalli stretch because of the easy access to the site, coupled with the international schools like CIS, Stonehill & MAIS.
During last week of December 2017 I was returning from Ananthpur and saw the massive Kia factory construction site. There were several small cars and what looked like Cretas? parked outside the project office but couldn't identify the badging as they were far away from the road.

I also spotted a few signboards in Korean between the Kia factory site and Devanahalli
Old 16th January 2018, 13:48   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It just occurred to me that Yong S Kim of Kia India is the same YS Kim who had set up Hyundai India in the late 90s ! Now you know what I meant when I said that Kia is coming strong & serious.

Quote:
Kia Motors India (KMI) today announced the appointment of Manohar Bhat as Head of Marketing & Sales and Yong S. Kim as Executive Director, effective immediately. They will be a part of the core senior management team at KMI and will be instrumental in setting up the India operations for marketing and sales.

Manohar Bhat joins Kia Motors India as Head of Marketing & Sales. He will be responsible for marketing, sales and aftersales service operations. He will work towards building the brand Kia as a household name in India.

An automotive industry veteran with twenty five years of experience, Manohar has headed various marketing and sales functions nationally with major Indian automakers.

In his new role, Yong S. Kim will be responsible for overseeing the sales function, mid-to long-term strategic plans of KMI, and coordination with Kia Motors Corporation head office in South Korea. He will coordinate marketing and sales requirements of KMI at a corporate level, equipping KMI strengthen its position in the Indian market.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 14:02   #133
Senior - BHPian

Production capacity is 300000 per annum = 25000 per month.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 14:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Think about it. It will take them 1.5 hours at safe speeds to reach the Penukonda site roughly 100 km away from D'halli. It takes me longer to reach MG Road on a bad day :-(
I know about garment factory management who travel to Andhra border for work. Good for Andhra Pradesh.

Hopefully, looking at the terrain of the region they will have good power availability or use solar energy to maximum.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 14:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It just occurred to me that Yong S Kim of Kia India is the same YS Kim who had set up Hyundai India in the late 90s ! Now you know what I meant when I said that Kia is coming strong & serious.
A CEO/MD who featured in the the ads of Hyundai in the beginning and built it from strength to strength; As you rightly said, Kia is coming in big.

amtak is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed