Team-BHP - Kia Motors coming to India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Kia Motors coming to India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/173228-kia-motors-coming-india.html)

The car market in India is in expansion mode, both in terms of cars sold and brands available. The majority of new car sales are driven in by entry-level and low-cost vehicles with manufacturers designing such models with the Indian buyer in mind. Now, it looks like Hyundai's sister concern Kia is plotting a foray into the Indian car market.

According to the report by ET Auto, Kia could start introducing their products in 2018-19. Rumours of Kia entering the Indian market have been afloat for over six years now, but it is believed that the Korean automaker will announce its plans for India in the next 3-6 months. Kia is said to be in talks with several state governments to set up a manufacturing plant, with Sri City in Andhra Pradesh expected to be the location chosen. The Picanto hatchback (which was spotted testing in India on many occasions), may be launched in India along with the Sportage crossover.

With the introduction of an affiliate brand, Hyundai will be looking at an image shift. Hyundai, which holds a 34% stake in Kia, has already confirmed that it will focus on premium cars over the next 3 years, which could open up the market for new lower segment cars by Kia. Kia also offers several premium models like the Optima, Cadenza and K900, but those cars are unlikely to make it to India anytime soon.

Kia Motors coming to India-8.jpg

A welcome move from both Hyundai and Toyota to introduce their sister and affiliated brands in India. In the end, it will be the end consumers like us who'll get the benefit from the new companies coming in as the options will increase.

At the same time, these companies need to properly research their way in Indian market as we have a number of companies like Chevrolet, Fiat, Skoda, among others who have been present in India since a long time (more than a decade), but they don't have a proper foothold in the market. What these companies have is the experience of Hyundai (2nd largest manufacturer of India) and Toyota (hugely successful in the MUV and SUV segments).

With Maruti on an attacking spree with more and more launches every year (it plans to introduce 15-20 new cars in India by 2019-20), the market is set to become more crowded and at the same time it'll be a live example of 'Survival of the Fittest'.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tushar (Post 3911626)
Hyundai, which holds a 34% stake in Kia, has already confirmed that it will focus on premium cars over the next 3 years..

A good move must say. In terms of designs I find KIA to be more sharper than Hyundai's lot.
These were some of their models from 2013 at Hyundai's corporate office.

Kia Motors coming to India-k5.jpg

Kia Motors coming to India-k7.jpg

Kia Motors coming to India-k9.jpg

And KIA OPTIMA, one of the popular cars in South Korea.

Kia Motors coming to India-kia-optima.jpg

I don't know about Daihatsu as I don't have experience with it. But i personally feel that kia will be instant hit because of its value for money products. I own a Kia soul in Nepal (In fact, i have an ownership review of the same stupid: ) and I completely love the product. Moreover, my friend owns an old model of Sportage and the car has aged well, it has clocked over a lac kms and still is going strong.
Add to it the impeccable after sales service and built to last products provided by both Hyundai and Toyota, one can expect the same from both Daihatsu and Kia.
Looking forward for these companies to enter in India.

It seems to be good news for Indian car lovers, given that another 2 brands will be here in the near future.

Both KIA and Daihatsu are renowned brands and have good range of vehicles in their repertoire. KIA, being a Hyundai group company, will have the Hyundai network backup solidly behind it. While Daihatsu, which is the oldest Japanese carmaker and known for its small car & small off-road vehicle range, will probably have the Toyota network backup and will also help Toyota gain some foothold in the small-car market here.

Wish they get here sooner !!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line section. Thanks for sharing!

The worst car I have driven is a KIA - Rio.
The second worst car I have driven is also a KIA - Rondo.
Both were rentals and felt like tin cans on US roads, with Rondo ticking an additional box for bad visibility.
These were way back in 2008 - Haven't driven a KIA since, so don't know if they have improved.

Kia Motors, Hyundai's sibling, set to enter India. Kia will set up a separate retail network and will have a distinct identity, similar in all the other markets where Hyundai is also present

Quote:

it may take at least two to three years before Kia starts selling cars in India. It has already started preliminary work on identifying land for its factory and is looking at possible models and suppliers
Quote:

Dealerships will be in line with Kia's retail philosophy and will have no front-end linkages with Hyundai. The only idea is to position them as competing brands to get the best out of the respective teams
Logistics, suppliers and raw material sourcing could be through Hyundi's network taking advantage of their long standing experience in the Indian Market.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...india/51578782

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3940514)
Kia Motors, Hyundai's sibling, set to enter India. Kia will set up a separate retail network and will have a distinct identity, similar in all the other markets where Hyundai is also present

Great move.

I have always felt KIA's products to be superior to the comparable Hyundai's.

Sportage is better than Tucson (except that the 2016 Tucson is much better).

Optima is way better than the Sonata.

Sorento is better than Santa Fe.

Picanto is better than i10.

Rio is better than i20.

Cerato is better than the Accent/Verna.

I think KIA should definitely launch the below models in India -
The Grand Carnival is an amazing and comfortable family MUV, but it costs more than the Sorento. I do not think there will be many takers for a MUV in India which costs more than 25 Lacs!

This should not be like a case of a Datsun here.

Competition is always good. But then, it should not dilute the brand equity of a Hyundai in anyways.
There are number of things that would go in Kia's success in India.

Though it can piggy bank on Hyundai's dealership, the brand image and perception needs to be its own making.

Also, Kia has to be very specific in the models it brings to India.
We are very cost conscious along with a long list of wannabes- Kitna Deti Hain, Feature List, Safety, Service Centre, Cost of ownership et all.

Ideally, I would think from the strategic point of view, Hyundai could enter an MoU with Kia and sell its cars under its own brand name.

That way, Kia enters India and Indian gentry get to experience Kia with the added brand reliability of a Hyundai!!!

Kia Venga spotted testing in India ( Chennai).

A potential rival to the premium hatchback players. This could be the first car considered for the Indian market.

Kia Motors coming to India-kiavenga_1.jpg
Kia Motors coming to India-kiavenga_4.jpg
Kia Motors coming to India-kiavenga_2.jpg

Quote:

Internationally, the Kia Venga is offered with four engine options – two petrol and two diesels. The petrol variants consist of a 1.4-litre engine that produces 89PS and 137.3Nm as well as a 1.6-litre engine that makes 123PS and 156Nm. While the 1.4-litre variant only gets a 5-speed manual, the 1.6-litre engine can be optioned with either a 6-speed manual or automatic. The diesel options include a 1.4-litre engine that makes 89PS and 240Nm, and a 1.6-litre motor that delivers 114PS and 260Nm. Both these engine are offered only with a 6-speed manual gearbox.
http://overdrive.in/news/spied-kia-v...ting-in-india/

Spotted this disguised (crossover) SUV with Factory test plates in Chennai. I guess TN21 could belong to either Hyundai or Ford.
Mods, I'm assuming the photo is the Kuga in question and hence uploading it in this thread.

Kia Motors coming to India-venga.jpg

Doesn't appear to be Kuga , its different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI (Post 3949241)
Spotted this disguised (crossover) SUV with Factory test plates in Chennai. I guess TN21 could belong to either Hyundai or Ford.
Mods, I'm assuming the photo is the Kuga in question and hence uploading it in this thread.

That's the Kia Venga seen testing in that pic.

Pic
Kia Motors coming to India-2015kiavenga6.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI (Post 3949241)

It's neither a Hyundai nor a Ford, but it's closely related to Hyundai all right (Edit: I see that swiftdiesel posted before I could).

It's a Kia Venga (badge-engineered twin of the Hyundai ix20), probably being tested by Hyundai for Kia:

Kia Motors coming to India-images-8.jpg

Hyundai have been testing the Venga under disguise, as can be seen in this post. It looks like they've decided to do away with the camouflage now.

Hyundai's Hexaspace-based MPV (presumably sharing many things with the ix20/Venga) has reportedly been put on hold in favour of the Carlino sub-4m SUV.

I really wonder if Kia are going to introduce the Venga as one of their first vehicles in India or whether Hyundai or Kia are looking to build a new MPV based on this platform.

Perhaps Hyundai have transferred the Hexaspace MPV project to Kia?