Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 17:07   #1

Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016

According to B. S. Motoring report here, Hyundai is planning to launch Grand i10 AMT in September. Interestingly
"Unlike Maruti and Tata, which get an AMT box from the purveyor Magneti Marelli, Hyundai will be getting its supply from Germany-based ZF Sachs."

Further according to the report the new Grand i10 AMT will be launched with some cosmetic changes.
Dream Catch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 10:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016

Not only Hyundai, even Renault is going to be launching cars with ZF Sachs AMTs (Kwid, Duster).

Hyundai has been closely watching the market's response to AMTs. If I was in their place, I'd surely launch the Grand i10 diesel AMT; diesel + AT is a rare combination in the segment. The million dollar question is whether Hyundai will replace the petrol's torque-converter AT with an AMT? The latter is cheaper & more fuel-efficient too. Will be interesting to see their final strategy.

Perhaps keep the AMT for the cheaper Grand i10 & bring the torque-converter on the Elite i20. The i20 AT is conspicuous by its absence in Hyundai's portfolio.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 12:53   #3
BHPian

Given the general resentment for people for hyundai Petrol vehicles, it will be really nice idea as GTO suggested to bring out Diesel + AT. This will definitely be a killer combination to attack Celerio directly and get some Wagon R numbers as well in the process. Hyundai does not have a B1 segment car and am sure there will be lot of people ready to switch from Celerio to i10 for a bit premium car given the reputation and consistency grand has shown.

Tata chose to not release a AT for Bolt fearing their Zest line-up numbers will be eaten. But with Zest doing dismal numbers and a further delay for Zica, won't it be a nice idea to have a AT for bolt as well? Or is it not as simple as we say?
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 12:58   #4
BHPian

Hey GTO

A lot of Grand i10 AT owners have claimed that their car gives just 6-7 KMPL

Since I have driven an auto gearbox car, I was wondering if this is because a lot of automatics are left in Drive gear even at signals (during stoppage) with the right leg on the brake instead of being in Neutral.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2016 at 09:47. Reason: Typos
Ne0N is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th February 2016, 16:56   #5
BHPian

Hi Neon ,

I have a Grand i10 AT. I use the eco mode and always put the car in "N" when at the signal. It gives me around 10 to 12 kms / liter. Hope this helps.

regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 18:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Given the general resentment for people for hyundai Petrol vehicles,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0N View Post
Hey GTO

A lot of grand I10 AT owners have claimed that their car gives just 6-7 KMPL
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi Neon ,

I have a Grand i10 AT. I use the eco mode and always put the car in "N" when at the signal. It gives me around 10 to 12 kms / liter. Hope this helps.

regards
Amol
Hyundai petrol engines are quite good IMO, but I think maybe 10% less fuel efficient than the peers from Maruti.

Also - I have been using a 2009 i10 AT for the past 6 years (which I believe has the same engine with minor tweaks + same gearbox as grand i10), and overall FE hovers around 12.5 kmpl in mixed mode driving.

As for AMT - I think hyundai should try AMT in eon and grand i10, and have the TC/DCT AT i20 onwards.

Last edited by blackasta : 17th February 2016 at 18:31.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 20:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hey GTO

Since i have driven an autogearbox car, i was wondering if this is because a lot automatics a left in the Drive gear even at signals(during stoppage) with the right leg on the brake instead of being in Neutral.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi Neon ,

regards
Amol
I have a Grand i10 Asta AT. I just realized the car has Eco mode . Thankfully the car had it on by default. BTW, with Eco mode I get 8-9 KMPL. The AMT is actually a smart move IMHO as most people are scared of by the reported FE.

Cheers.
The Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 21:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hey GTO

6-7 KMPL ??

A mini hatchback with 1.0 – 1.2 L engine sipping 1 L of petrol for traversing 6-7 kms? That is appalling. Even a 6.4 L Chrysler HEMI engine gives a mileage of 4-6 KMPL.

Hyundai have had fuel efficiency related litigations in Canada in the past and they had around 130,000 cars which were manufactured prior November 2012 affected by this and they ended up paying 46.6 million dollars as compensation!

The reason being procedural errors at Hyundai's testing operations in Korea led to incorrect fuel consumption ratings for select vehicles. As part of their corrective actions, they adjusted fuel consumption ratings for approximately 130,000 vehicles and launched a fuel cost reimbursement program for customers that purchased or leased an affected vehicle prior to November 3, 2012.

Source:
https://hyundaifuelconsumption.ca/
https://hyundaifuelconsumption.ca/ne...following-res/
Old 18th February 2016, 09:52   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A lot of Grand i10 AT owners have claimed that their car gives just 6-7 KMPL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
6-7 KMPL

A mini hatchback with 1.0 – 1.2 L engine sipping 1 L of petrol for traversing 6-7 kms?
We have a poll on the i10 Automatic and most owners reported between 8 - 10 kpl (link to thread). Glad the Grand i10 has an Eco mode .

However, if you use the AT for short commutes only, say as a local runabout in the area without the engine ever warming up, I don't doubt the 7 kpl numbers.

An AMT version will surely be more fuel-efficient.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 10:27   #10
BHPian

I have a small question that i have been thinking over, In AT since the torque converter is a permanent connection ( no disengagement) between flywheel and transmission, does it provide inherent characteristic of preventing a roll back on inclines and while i am at rest but in forward drive mode ? Thanks.
Old 18th February 2016, 11:26   #11
BHPian

I have purchased an i 10 grand auto last month and the fuel efficiency I am getting is between 10 - 11 KMPL. Knowing Hyundai cars, I believe this might marginally increase with subsequent service. But its really disappointing. And my XUV (manual) is easily giving me 12.5 KMPL on an everyday commute between Thane and Bandra. Since my i 10 would be sparingly used, poor efficiency doesn't matter much to me. But I am just wondering how is this car managing such high sales number every month. Buyer in this segment is surely conscience about fuel efficiency.

Now with AMT, there would definately be marginal improvement in fuel efficiency but I still wonder how would even those figures appeal to the buyers.

Cheers~
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
I have a small question that i have been thinking over, In AT since the torque converter is a permanent connection ( no disengagement) between flywheel and transmission, does it provide inherent characteristic of preventing a roll back on inclines and while i am at rest but in forward drive mode ? Thanks.
Yes it does - a pseudo hill hold mode if you want to term it that way.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
does it provide inherent characteristic of preventing a roll back on inclines and while i am at rest but in forward drive mode ? Thanks.
Yes, but your foot needs to be on the brakes if the vehicle has to be completely stopped, otherwise the vehicle will move forward. If the incline is too steep, there is a possibility that the vehicle might roll back if the brakes are not applied.

From a complete halt to a start on an incline, there is something called "Hill Start Assist" that helps the car from rolling backwards. With the “Hill Start Assist” option on, the brake holds for approximately two seconds from the time you take your foot off the brakes to press the accelerator and then seamlessly blend their release with the pull of the engine. This gives the driver sufficient time to confidently accelerate the car in an incline.
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 15:26   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai to introduce the AMT in its cars by 2018

Hyundai has confirmed that it will start using automated manual transmission (AMT) technology in its cars in 2018. The technology will be gradually introduced in the company's entire model range.

Hyundai is most likely to source AMT kits from ZF Sachs, a German automotive component manufacturer. ZF Sachs supplies the AMT for the recently-launched Duster AMT as well. Other companies use AMT gearboxes manufactured by Magneti Marelli.

The difference in cost between AMT and manual transmission versions of cars is not very great, since the AMT does not cost as much as a conventional automatic gearbox.

Source: ET Auto
Hyundai Grand i10 AMT to launch in 2016-download.jpg
Omkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 15:58   #15
BHPian

Re: Hyundai to introduce the AMT in its cars by 2018

Finally Hyundai is also jumping into the party of AMT vehicles.

This will certainly take the game to the next level. Maruti started this revolution of sorts by launching AMT in Celerio and now it's available in Dzire, WagonR, Alto, and it is also expected to be launched in Swift soon. According to Economic Times, the company has sold more than 1 lakh AMT equipped models till now.

Now with Hyundai strapping its successful cars such as Grand i10, Elite i20, Eon, Xcent, with AMT the sales are expected to increase further. This bodes well for overall automobile sector as well. Earlier the buyer only had the option of purchasing a Maruti if he/she wanted AMT but with this move they'll have a choice.

But honestly, in my opinion, Hyundai is a bit late as they are planning of 2018 and till that time, Maruti could be even more stronger position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks