Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2016, 14:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai to increase Creta production to 12,500 units

The Creta has been a successful product for Hyundai. The compact SUV is reported to have garnered over 90,000 bookings within six months of its launch and has a waiting period of three months.

Hyundai to increase Creta production to 12,500 units-2.jpg

Hyundai is looking to reduce the waiting period to one month and in order to be able to do so, it has decided to increase the production of the car. At present Hyundai produces less than 10,000 units every month out of which, 7,000 are sold in the domestic market, while the balance 2,000-3,000 units are exported.

From June 2016, Hyundai is planning to ramp up production of the Creta to 12,500 units. Out of the total volume of cars produced, the company plans to sell 10,000 units in the domestic market and export 2,500 units.

The Creta was launched in India in July 2015. Originally, Hyundai had planned to manufacture about 6,000 units of the car every month from July to December 2015. However, the strong demand for the car has prompted the company to increase its production over the months.

Source: Autocar Professional
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 19:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai to increase Creta production to 12,500 units

Probably OT for this topic, but this is the right strategy, and the right way to address this demand surge. The mix of local-to-export numbers is also worth noting, they are obviously giving the right level of importance to the Indian market, since Hyundai India *exists* primarily to serve Indian market, and export what it can. Ford India, in contrast, got exactly this strategy wrong, and instead of grabbing a disproportionate market share over a period of time when it was the only contender, prioritized exports over local fulfilment, and the result? Its getting edged out of the local market by Hyindai and (soon) Maruti to an also-ran.. And exports? Well, that exists only in the whims of the global HQ, since Thailand and China, with a larger auto manufacturing base, can always produce cheaper, if need be.
Kudos to Hyundai.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 21st February 2016 at 19:15. Reason: punctuation
Contrapunto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 21:18   #3
RSR
Senior - BHPian

It's good of Hyundai to quickly ramp up production to meet demand, and to give priority to domestic sales over exports.

What's bad is that they still sell the Creta's Base & S variants without even a single airbag!

Now that the i20, i20 Active and Verna all get dual airbags as standard fitment on their base variants, there's no reason for the Creta (which is positioned above the trio) not to get the same. How long will it take for Hyundai to realise their stupid folly?
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 22:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
What's bad is that they still sell the Creta's Base & S variants without even a single airbag!

Now that the i20, i20 Active and Verna all get dual airbags as standard fitment on their base variants, there's no reason for the Creta (which is positioned above the trio) not to get the same. How long will it take for Hyundai to realise their stupid folly?
Baleno effect is what caused the change to i20 twins.
I believe they are waiting for decent competition in this segment to start providing these, unfortunately there are none on the horizon. Duster facelift had some hopes, but considering that Renault screwed up we'll have to wait a bit more.

Come on Hyundai, prove me wrong.

I'm seeing quite a bit of SCross on roads nowadays compared to Creta. Probably some increased numbers for SCross might do the trick.
mrbaddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:24   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that is quite an achievement for an SUV costing 12 - 16 lakhs on the road! This is h-u-g-e. For a brand that has enjoyed such volumes in the hatchback segment, the Creta could emerge as the best selling Hyundai in India. At least in some months as the Elite i20 is also at the same level. I was surprised when the Elite i20 took the no.1 position as it is Hyundai's most expensive hatchback, but this is clearly something else.

Goes to show what quality products can do. Till a decade back, Hyundai couldn't get any success above the i10 & Accent levels (Getz was a failure). Then, the i20 came and got customers in by the droves (especially after the Jazz' pricing debacle). The fluidic Verna made Hyundai taste real success for the first time in the 10 lakh sedan segment, after which the Elantra held the no. 1 position in the D1 sedan segment for a long time. Quality, great products, taking care of your customers - the hard work has paid off.

Just imagine the profit margins. I've said it before and will say it again - the Creta is the only 'cant-go-wrong' SUV in the segment. It's an all-rounder, despite the missing features and premium pricing.

Maruti must be at the Creta's success. And it doesn't have an answer yet. The Vitara Brezza is going to sell at a much lower price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I'm seeing quite a bit of SCross on roads nowadays compared to Creta. Probably some increased numbers for SCross might do the trick.
Judging the success of a car by the number seen on the road is the most inaccurate way. To know market performance, just head over to our sales threads (January 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 00:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quality, great products, taking care of your customers - the hard work has paid off.
Now if only they could start cracking the whip on shady Dealer ASS (unintentional pun ) my next car would be a Hyundai as well.

I have been dismayed by the lack of proper support after Hyundai decided to close down all company owned service centers in Mumbai.

Regards,

Arun
Arun1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 02:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1 View Post
Now if only they could start cracking the whip on shady Dealer ASS (unintentional pun ) my next car would be a Hyundai as well.

I have been dismayed by the lack of proper support after Hyundai decided to close down all company owned service centers in Mumbai.

Regards,

Arun
And, the situation is worse now. One visit to Sharayu Hyundai, Navi Mumbai and I had dents on bonnet, 4 dents on roof, torn leather of the steering wheel and gear and a nice deep scratch from inside on the windshield. Above on that their lethargic attitude towards the job given.

Lastly, guys from Hyundai Corporate office just ask you for feedback numerous times but, after that there's no call back or even a reply on mail.

I have had better experience with Ford, I must say. I never thought I'd be saying this after buying a Hyundai...
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:09   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti must be at the Creta's success. And it doesn't have an answer yet. The Vitara Brezza is going to sell at a much lower price point.
Very much. But this quagmire is entirely of Maruti's own making. They are always playing the cat and mouse game with Hyundai. Hyundai brings in a shocker in Elite i20, Maruti follows with Baleno. Creta is being followed by S-cross which is a failure, when you compare heads on with Creta. What Maruti ideally needed was not Vitara Brezza only, they should have brought international Vitara too I feel. Now for the foreseeable future there is no competition is insight for Creta and Hyundai will be laughing all the way to the bank. This attitude is not suited for the market leader I guess. What a great opportunity was wasted in the Creta segment. Are we witnessing the beginning of a hare and tortoise race here?
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Are we witnessing the beginning of a hare and tortoise race here?

I think it's a bit too early to call. Maruti's biggest strength is their reach and their brand significance. What someone finds expensive in another brand, Maruti will cleverly compare that product to their cheaper product and then market that as an equivalent. Once out the door, Maruti tends to race away from the competitors.

As enthusiasts, we may know the difference but for the average Joe, if it ticks all the boxes he wants in a SUVish looking car, then he'd most probably pick the cheaper option, in this case, Maruti. The S-Cross just doesn't compare because it's hideous. There I said it. The Brezza otoh looks quite SUVish and so it will bring the game to Hyundai.
Old 6th July 2016, 14:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai India has ramped up the Creta's production to 13,000 units a month, which will result in bringing down the waiting periods of the on-demand Creta variants to a month.

Quote:
Hyundai India says that it has ramped up production of the Creta to 13,000 units per month at its Sriperumbudur plant. The initial production capacity for the Creta at this facility was 5,000 units, which was ramped to 7,000 and then 10,000 units.

There, however, is a catch here. Few of the dealers told us that the waiting periods depend on the model ordered and the colour opted for. For example, the higher selling SX+ and top-end SX(O) diesel trims command a one-month waiting period in the regular silver, white and black colours. Similarly, the diesel AT variants too command only a month long waiting period. The petrol AT variant has a two-month waiting period. In the case of specific colours like red, the waiting period increases to 3-4 months. Base variants of the Hyundai Creta, which aren’t in much demand, are more of a made-to-order type and hence have a four-month waiting period.
Overdrive
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 12:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai India is in the process of increasing the production of the Creta by a further 25 percent, in order to meet the anticipatory rise in demand during the festive season ahead.

The Creta is currently seeing production of close to 13,000 units a month, yet the waiting period for the crossover SUV continues to be between one and two months.

CarDekho
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 14:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great to know that Hyundai gives the Indian market more respect than some of the other auto majors. I think Creta will zoom further up the charts - and no competition in sight for another year maybe.
Now if only they could go all the way and give us the complete range of options for petrol like in China...
http://chinaautoweb.com/car-models/hyundai-ix25/
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed