Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2016, 23:11   #151
BHPian

Re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Is it me or does any one else also feel that the tail lamps on the Elantra are an enlarged version of those on the Elite i20. Rear light of both cars are visible in the pic 2 posts above & that's making my feeling even stronger. Look at the way in which the tail lamps are merging into the boot and into the side of the car.
Any way the tail lamps look absolutely drool worth in both cars - Elite i20 and the Elantra.

Also are the tail lamps on the Elantra LED's?
Old 28th August 2016, 23:16   #152
Senior - BHPian

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Test drive:

Test drove the 1.6 CRDI AT 2016 Elantra today. The good and bad bits, listed below.
  1. Good looking front stance, coupled with cool led tail lights, though the indicator and reverse lamps are halogen.
  2. Alloy wheels are 16" although the shade was gunmetal which is nice.
  3. Gets keyless entry and go, although the sound made when unlocking/locking is an actual single horn beep, instead of the more premium electronic beep in the Creta.
  4. The front seats were very comfortable, as good as my Octy's. Didn't get a chance to sit in the rear. Steering leather finish was soft to the touch.
  5. The steering though, was too light for my habit. It's certainly a boon in traffic but since I am used to slightly heavier steering in the Octy, I often used more force while doing a full u turn and got a good kick end to end.
  6. Buttons quality on the steering and dashboard are very nice, button travel is good, feel is premium. Standard layout and very easy to get used to, for operating without seeing below while driving.
  7. Seat cooling is just fantastic, period.
  8. Electric seat adjustment had good travel for height, it made absolutely no noise while moving, very silent and smooth motor.
  9. NVH is most exceptional in its class. That diesel motor, is silky.
  10. Didn't like the auto box. As soon as you lift off the accelerator, the car dips forward, and as soon as you put your foot back on, it gives you a shove in the seat. Can be a bit tiring on the highway.
  11. Dead pedal was good to use, my left foot found a comfy position in no time.
  12. The centre arm rest has a USB charger installed, so just connect the usb cable, and guide the cable out of the special hole in the front of the box, it's just something that all cars should have these days.
  13. I drove up to speeds of 110 km/h on the highway, while acceleration is not quick, it will do a steady cruise well. But engine lacks grunt. A 2.0 l diesel is sorely being missed.
  14. Sunroof is small, sun shade is manual, it's a 1.75 lakh option if you want it in the Creta and lower trims of Elantra. Worthless in my opinion.
  15. The boot was too small for my liking, not that I am a big load carrying maniac but I am used to the Laura and Octavia's boot, so it was a fairly smaller boot in comparison.
  16. I didn't try the Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, also didn't try smart boot release. It was almost closing time and SA wanted all my details before sundown to stay in touch later.
  17. Now the most important part, the top end model of the car is priced at 23 lakh on road Ahmedabad. Petrol comes in at around 2 lakh less. I would rather wait for the Tucson now.

It's a pleasant car to see, drive, may be own even. But to me it felt smaller compared to the Octy, they're actually pitting it more against the Cruze and Corolla, but basically it's the best VFM in the segment. It's by far the most plush Hyundai for the segment, will have a lot of takers I am sure.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th September 2016 at 13:43. Reason: Arraneged the points better to make the post easier to read. Thanks for the nice post
adi_petrolhead is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 17:58   #153
BHPian

When can we get the official Team BHP review on the 6th-gen Elantra?
Old 30th August 2016, 18:18   #154
BHPian

ACI price checker of the executive sedans

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-elantra.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...x#imageGallery
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 19:40   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Motoroids has reviewed the 2016 Elantra 2.0L petrol MT/AT.

Excerpts:

Quote:
The redesigned body structure incorporates 32% more advanced high-strength steel compared to the original Elantra. The new Elantra doesn’t only look slippery, but with 0.29Cd of drag co-efficient, the highest in the segment, is slippery through the air too. This virtue can be attributed to a flatter underbody, a swooping profile and the front ‘Wheel Air Curtain’ – the boomerang like inserts on the front bumper that actually optimize the air-flow around the front wheel, apart from cooling the front brakes of course.

Engage the brake, press the start button and the motor settles into a barely audible idle, just a shade below 1000 clicks. It’s particularly silent for its class when idling, the ‘Nu’ engine. Give it some gas and the engine doesn’t let you rev hard while the car stands still. Straightaway, the engine admits that it doesn’t like being revved too hard. It doesn’t sound strained or coarse. Instead, there’s just an uninvolving, appliance like drone that rises or falls depending on the twitchiness of your right foot. There’s barely any wind or road noise at cruising speeds, and an eerie, funeral-like silence engulfs the Elantra’s cabin. Even though it has 150, naturally aspirated horses, the Elantra’s not particularly involving to drive enthusiastically. This engine is best enjoyed during moderately paced driving, like it was meant to be. Drive with a light foot however, and the Elantra impresses. The engine pulls happily in its sweet spot, which lies between 2,500-4,000 rpm, post which power tapers off. The box is commendably smooth and the gears slot into place without any perceptible jerks. Downshifts are smooth and crisp as well, which encourages you to use the manual mode (via the gear selector lever; no paddle shifters here). The Elantra petrol automatic also comes with three driving modes – Normal, Eco and Sport. While the first two modes are tuned towards economical driving, Sport firms things up a bit. The steering becomes noticeably heavier in your hands, the motor becomes a tad punchier, and gear shifts happen a bit late. The driving modes are best enjoyed in day-to-day driving.

The 2.0-litre engine also comes with a 6-speed manual transmission which is a bit more involving to drive. The shifter is alright, but the gates aren’t well defined, so it feels a bit rubbery. As for the clutch, it’s nice and light, but there’s a bit of extra play before the biting point comes along. From a standstill, the car crawls forward by just modulating the clutch, and without any throttle inputs. The gear ratios are well-spaced out, and are neither too long, nor too short. First gear is good for 65-70 kph, while you can reach a shade over 105 kph in second. Third gear is a bit long, and the most enjoyable out on the open road, as it’s the only cog that calls for some pleasurable shove even while doing triple digit speeds. In sixth gear, the new Elantra efficiently cruises at 100 kph, with the engine speed sitting at 2,500 clicks (both MT and AT). The Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) is unexpectedly light at low speeds for easy manoeuvrability, and weighs up nicely as speeds rise. However, feedback is nothing to write home about and the whole setup feels a bit disconnected if you’re up for some spirited cornering. You needn’t worry, as for day-to-day driving, the steering works just fine.

The new Hyundai Elantra rides MacPherson strut front suspension, along with a coupled torsion beam axle set-up (CTBA) at the back. According to Hyundai, the suspension geometry has been redesigned to provide greater control and improve ride quality, compared to the previous model. Changes to the layout of the suspension components, including the rear shock absorber and spring positioning, are complemented by structural enhancements to strengthen the chassis. The ride quality is supreme, and apart from the mildest of thuds filtering in through your spine at low speeds, the ride is virtually spotless. It’s very comfortable, the way the Elantra rides, and there’s none of that wallowing and yacht-like pitching, thanks to the new Hydraulic Rebound Stoppers on each shocks. Even while going over expansion joints at speed, the mid-sized sedan stayed composed, with the suspension stabilising itself quickly. It could very well be the best riding Hyundai on sale in India right now.
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-newhyundaielantraheadlamp31024x681.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-newhyundaielantrawheel11024x681.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-newhyundaielantrainstrumentcluster1.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-newhyundaielantramid1.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-newhyundaielantrainfotainmentsystem4.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-newhyundaielantraboot1.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-newhyundaielantrataillamp41024x681.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th August 2016 at 19:49.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 21:11   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
In sixth gear, the new Elantra efficiently cruises at 100 kph, with the engine speed sitting at 2,500 clicks (both MT and AT)
I wonder why the RPM for 100 kph is so high for a 2L petrol engine. Even the 1.6L Diesel Verna does 100 kph at <2000 RPM in 6th gear. Is this something that is characteristic of a petrol engine?
Old 30th August 2016, 22:31   #157
BHPian

Took a test drive of the SX(O) petrol AT variant today in semi-rush hour Mumbai traffic. Few observations below:

1. The engine is QUIET. I actually checked twice at red lights to see if I had turned the engine off by mistake.

2. I felt the suspension was quite good and absorbed almost everything that was thrown at it. Although I was mostly at lower speeds, I did get a chance to let it rip slightly on a private road to test the acceleration and it did bounce me around. but to be fair, I chose a relatively bad road to do this test. (Mumbai.. Mumbai...Mumbai)

3. Ventilated seats are an absolute delight. I can already see myself grinning everytime I get out of the car

4. The steering weighs up quite nicely with some speed build up. Didn't go very fast but was a good linear weight progression

5. This is the first time I drove an AT ever, so will refrain from commenting on the gearbox. But must say, automatics are really comfortable. I have been a manual guy my whole life and would at times frown at automatic proponents. All that is in the past now. So much easier at least on city roads. I'm a convert now.

6. Acceleration - not much to say on that front - which can be both a good and a bad thing. Good when you compare it to the likes of Ciaz (I shouldn't compare, but still), even the City at times. Bad obviously when you compare it to Octavias of the world. But overall, didn't come out unsatisfied. So, positive overall.

7. The seats are extremely comfortable - good lumbar support for the front seats. Electric seat adjustors really let you find that perfect driving position for you and the reach and rake angles are decent as well.

8. Tested out Android Auto with my Galaxy S7 Edge and worked flawlessly with no issues at all.

9. The AVN has extremely good touch sensitivity and you'll feel as if its just a bigger phone. Full marks.

10. I didn't quite like the rather stiff steering mounted controls - especially the volume rocker and the up down rocker. Would've preferred a softer implementation. My friend however preferred them as he thinks they lend the feeling of a solidly put together cabin. So, mixed feelings there

11. No rain sensing wipers - should have been there. Cars way cheaper have this rather small feature.

12. Entire console is tilted towards the driver which makes you feel encapsulated and involved.

13. Did I say the ventilated seats are awesome?

14. The rear seats are very comfortable as well. But my friend, the constant critic, didn't like the rather small headroom and under-thigh cushioning for his height. He's 6'1, I'm 5'9

Overall, very satisfied with the car. Will be a gas guzzler for sure, but I think it's worth it. Came back from the test drive, confirmed booking immediately. Saw in a post above that deliveries have commenced at least in Chandigarh. Hope to get my black automatic soon.

More updates as I get them.
Cheers.
recalcitrant is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 08:38   #158
Senior - BHPian

The alloys have an uncanny resemblance to the ones in the Brezza. Also, first time I am spotting flowers on the side wall of a tyre.

And so glad Hyundai is giving all black interiors for its premium range. Well done!
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 19:53   #159
BHPian

Autoportal reviewed the new Elantra.

recalcitrant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 02:02   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier I used to love to bring to the forum my views on each Hyundai as it launched, I was a bit more childish in my love for cars than I am now. Somewhere inside, even today its my dream to setup an official review for the forum as a gift for everything I take from it whenever I visit. However for now, tight schedules, lack of even a square inch of space in my city of residence, and inflexible test drive timings do not aid in making a full-fledged review possible.

Nonetheless, let me add to (or repeat) what the other members have shared from their driving experience.

+Its an improvement from the old Elantra in every way possible, specially in the tactility department.
+Feature-wise and safety-wise, its head and shoulders above current segment champ the Corolla, more like by a light-year.
+Its bland and unassuming yet has a few curves for good measure.
+Its safer than ever before, always a good thing.
+Zero engine/tyre noise.. though I don't think I crossed 40kmph so above that I'll have to get back here on it.
+Seamless gear changes, very quiet and refined.
+Soft touch plastics are actually good, better than a few, more expensive cars I've seen.
+Good side visibility from the wheel, front needs some getting used to though, personally.
+Overall comfortable seats with good bolsters, I'm not too picky there though.
+Touchscreen is nice, no lag, no motion blur.. a good setup.
+Good feel from the controls (shifter/steering) and all else falls in the hands easy. Brakes are sharp.
+Information Cluster is the best Hyundai ever has done so far.
+Power is adequate and always feels some is left in reserve.

-Slightly poor rear visibility (though only so much.. most long sedans suffer from this)
-High window line in rear (the i20 itself has it, so its natural on the Elantra).
-Steering doesn't quite cut it, but I've hated the steering on the Vento/Polo so this is much better in resistance/feedback as I did read some roads through my palms.
-Too many features cut compared to the American variant, like Lane-Keep Assist and Blind Spot Detection, Infinity Speakers etc.
-The usual problem for someone used to a manual - the auto simply doesn't feel as natural or connected to our senses at lower speeds.. felt it in the TSi too so not quite Hyundai's fault. The engine is a responsive one though.

As you can see its not yet a full review and I don't know why I'm not singing praises for the car because, honestly it deserves it. Maybe because I've seen how fully loaded useful features it comes to America with and feel that for once we need a 100% global, Hyundai product, not 99% but 100%. Nevertheless.. knowing what I do about its construction - the 53% AHSS, rigid chassis for better dynamics and post-sale benefits like free maintenance package, 3 year warranty etc, I'm convinced that this is the most complete Hyundai till date. A car that needs to be purchased just because its an Elantra - and that's the most sensible way to do it.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:28   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
+Power is adequate and always feels some is left in reserve..
Thanks dark.knight. Was it Petrol or Diesel?
manoj_joseph78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 10:47   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
-Too many features cut compared to the American variant, like Lane-Keep Assist and Blind Spot Detection, Infinity Speakers etc.
thanks dark.night.

Though I feel certain features are better left out of the Indian spec car. lane keep assist and pedestrian detection for example. I guess with the absence of lane markers on our roads, the former might lead to chaos at times. Accidental braking with respect to pedestrian detection - the car would refuse to move in our cities full of jaywalkers . If I were Hyundai, I wouldn't want to assume this risk.

But yes, I agree that blind spot detection and Infiniti audio should have been present. Haven't experience the latter but have heard good things about the system.
recalcitrant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:33   #163
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai India claims an overwhelming response for the new Elantra with more than 405 bookings & 7,817 enquiries within 8 days of launch.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-capture.jpg
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:49   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Hyundai India claims an overwhelming response for the new Elantra with more than 405 bookings & 7,817 enquiries within 8 days of launch.

Attachment 1550036

400 odd bookings on launch is no big deal. If this is how it is going to pan out we should see discounts on the Elantra soon.
I guess the Corolla continues to sell around 500 a month. Hyundai will not be able to hold on to these numbers even for 2-3 months. Guess it will settle down at the 150 dispatches per month. Early days. Hope I am proved wrong , as this segment needs to be jerked out of its slumber.
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:57   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
400 odd bookings on launch is no big deal. If this is how it is going to pan out we should see discounts on the Elantra soon.
I guess the Corolla continues to sell around 500 a month. Hyundai will not be able to hold on to these numbers even for 2-3 months. Guess it will settle down at the 150 dispatches per month. Early days. Hope I am proved wrong , as this segment needs to be jerked out of its slumber.
That is perhaps not a fair comparison with Corolla. I would like to look at how many Corollas are sold every month under commercial plates. An Elantra, Jetta or Octavia are no liked by cab/tour operators for obvious reason. Hence the #s they clock will be lower than Corolla.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed