Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 11:45   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Shah Rukh Khan walks you through the all-new Elantra in this official video.

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 08:05   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar First Look - 2016 Elantra

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-screenshot_2.jpg

Why do they call shark fin antenna as a feature? Those ventilated seat sounds tempting. The automatic boot release is a good feature although can be irritating sometimes.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:04   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive has driven the all-new Elantra.

Excerpts:

Quote:
Yes, the 2.0-litre Nu petrol engine is all-new. The 16-valve, four cylinder motor gets dual variable valve timing and makes 152PS/192Nm. This makes it 3.5PS/14.5Nm more powerful than the older 1.8-litre petrol. The new engine is paired with a 6-speed torque converter that gets a manual mode like in the outgoing Elantra but now also offers Eco and Power modes which make small changes to the power delivery. It is a quick revving motor but the responsive nature doesn’t really translate into quicker acceleration. While performance is brisk it isn’t quite up there with the turbocharged engines from either the Octavia or the diesel-only Cruze. Manual mode makes things more involving but it is clear that this car prioritizes unstressed performance over tyre destroying acceleration. At a claimed fuel efficiency of 14.62kmpl for the auto, it is 0.3kmpl more efficient than the outgoing 1.8-litre engine. Also on offer is the reliable and smooth 128PS 1.6-litre common rail diesel engine from the Creta and Verna. There are no changes to this motor and like the petrol, it is available with a choice of 6-speed manual and automatic transmissions.

The car gets an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system. The user interface is new and improved over the units in the Creta and the screen is also bigger and crisper. The system also gets sat-nav as well as both Android Auto and Car Play – a first for a sub-20 lakh car. The new 3-spoke steering wheel has audio controls, cruise control, Bluetooth calling and trip computer related functions. The analogue dials themselves are new and house a plethora of information like distance to empty, instant fuel efficiency, average driving time, average speed and so on. While the front seats are comfortable, the rear could do with better underthigh support. The stylish sloping roof also cuts into the headroom for taller occupants but this should not be of bother to passengers below 6ft.

While we drove the car entirely on perfect tarmac it was quite clear that the new Elantra has a firmer set-up over the previous car. Body roll feels more controlled and high speed handling is confident. However, we’ll have to wait to for the full road test to see how the new Elantra deals with poor roads. As with most Hyundais, the steering is feather light at slow speeds but it offers a decent amount of weight at higher speeds. NVH levels are excellent and very little road or engine noise invades into the cabin, even at highway speeds. There are disc brakes all around, backed by ABS and EBD.
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantra201633.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantra201659.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantra201640.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantra201661.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:01   #139
BHPian

Went to have a look at the car yesterday. They still did not have a TD vehicle yet.
A few pictures for your viewing.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0177.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0178.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0180.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0175.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0168.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0171.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0172.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-img_0173.jpg
bharat4ever is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:30   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Went to have a look at the car yesterday. They still did not have a TD vehicle yet.
A few pictures for your viewing.
So Advaith Hyundai has some vintage cars on display? Which cars are those? They are definitely not Hyundais.
Old 26th August 2016, 13:52   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
So Advaith Hyundai has some vintage cars on display? Which cars are those? They are definitely not Hyundais.
I'm not a vintage car expert, so I did look for some names on them, but couldn't.
Old 26th August 2016, 14:42   #142
BHPian

The car looks good along with the features and price. But the engine options are disappointing. This segment should heat up once the Civic is launched as well.
Old 26th August 2016, 14:45   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Off-topic: Those belong to the owner. He parks them in the showroom sometimes for display. I think there's a post or thread on his car somewhere on the forum.

Looking at the price and the features offered, it seems to be a great package.

When you compare it with the Corolla Altis, the Altis doesn't even come close. The top end petrol VL AT Altis is nearly 23 lakhs on road in Bangalore. The Elantra top end petrol is more than a lakh cheaper.

The Altis gives you only 2 airbags, no sun roof, no dual zone climate control, no rear AC vents, no ventilated seats, no ESP and a lot more missing.

With the Elantra you get 6 airbags, ESP, sunroof, ventilated seats, dual zone climate control, android auto, apple car play, rear AC vents and a whole load of more features.

I know the Altis sells well thanks to the Toyota brand but now there's a big question mark on my head as to why anybody would even look at the Corolla anymore with this Elantra.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th August 2016 at 15:14.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 01:21   #144
BHPian

I certainly hope this Hyundai does outsell its D segment competitors and brings this segment back to life. I love the exterior styling on this new gen, but am slightly disappointed with the interiors. For those with limited running, the 2.0 petrol would really make a lot of sense.
abhii176 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 09:54   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

A new review is out, I like this channel because its neutral and points out the exact advantages of each brand and their weaknesses as well. This might seem a bit critical but keep in mind that Toyotas and Hondas were equally criticised for their respective weaknesses as well.

The main takeaways of the review is that its a more than neutral handler, a fair handler even, for the wide open, empty American roads. In India none of these weaknesses should even be visible in the stop-go city traffic. Its quiet, its stable, its soft and luxurious yet destroys the Toyota Corolla (which is called an econo-box increasingly by American reviews) in every way possible. Its also a huge leap-up from the previous version.

I think Hyundai is doing the right thing, keeping an affordable comfort-oriented variant and also a sport-variant for the Elantra. Each company has its own talent.. Mazda for the driving, Toyota for the practicality, Honda for the engines and Hyundai for a lot of everything. Its about time we gave it some credit for what its been able to achieve in just 1 generation.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 09:56   #146
BHPian

They are mostly 2 perceptions that this car needs to dispel for its success -

1. 1.6L diesel is below the segment average of 2.0L diesel. Moreover, this engine is shared by lower segment Verna.

2. Hyundai as brand name is still not considered premium - especially against Toyota, Skodas, VW and even Honda for that matter.This segment is brand conscious.

Other than that - I strongly feel they should have included an option of beige interiors - like they do in other countries - Australia etc. Black makes the car feel small.
Old 28th August 2016, 10:50   #147
BHPian

I had gone to Kothari, Kharadi service center, Pune yesterday and was surprised to see no crowd around the new Elantra. I made a quick check out of the vehicle (did not take a test drive) and noticed that the driver seat height had a good range. You don't feel sitting very low. However, was disappointed with back seat under thigh support (I am 5' 7"). I just could not find a comfortable seating position. Those who intend to be chauffeur driven should check out the back seat.
Old 28th August 2016, 19:36   #148
BHPian

I have been looking at the Elantra brochure and website, can't find the Kerb Weight (kg) for MT & AT for the new Elantra. With the new high strength steel frame and adhesive used on the body wonder how much does the car weigh in comparison to others in the segment. Does anyone have the figures?
dragstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 21:07   #149
BHPian

Had gone to Berkeley Hyundai, Chandigarh to get the AC compressor replaced for my Creta. Saw this gorgeous looking car being delivered to the owner. Those tail lamps are absolute drool material. Car looks really chic from every angle. Alloy wheel design though is not to my taste. Interiors did look much better in real than in pics. I did not click many pics as the car was already sold. Here is one random pic of those gorgeous tail lamps.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-image.jpeg
GameOfCars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 21:15   #150
BHPian

Quote:
The Altis gives you only 2 airbags, no sun roof, no dual zone climate control, no rear AC vents, no ventilated seats, no ESP and a lot more missing.
Just wanted to correct, Altis does offer VSC (or ESP) at the top end trim GL/ VL.

I do agree, looking at the elantra, toyota does feel shortchanged. Hopefully the new Altis changes this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks