Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 12:23   #181
BHPian

Re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

I'm planning to purchase the new Elantra automatic in top spec version in next few weeks. Confused between the petrol and the diesel. Difference in cost is not an issue and I plan to keep the car for 5-7 years.
My yearly running is about 10,000 to 12,000 kms and I'm looking for smoother drive with more pep during both highway drives and around town. All the local dealers in Chandigarh have only the Diesel auto version to test drive which I felt was kinda ho-hum in pickup and NVH.
Also the reviews on youtube are conflicting regarding the drive of the petrol auto variant - some even saying that "there is lot of noise when stepping on the gas but not much is translated in actual movement"
Sadly could not find official team-bhp review for it.
Anyone has any experience and views on the new petrol Elantra auto as I'm almost about to book it without even test driving the car.
Old 7th September 2016, 16:08   #182
BHPian

Source: http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/exclusi...review-1340075

Quote:
And now the big catch. The US spec Elantra uses a new construction method that uses more glued-together panels rather than spot-welding, than the previous generation car. The idea is to offer greater stiffness, by using aerospace adhesives - not uncommon to cars these days anyway. But while the last car used 10 feet of glue bead the new one has 394 feet! And glue bead is applied robotically - but Hyundai's India plant will not be able to offer the same level of sophistication in the car's construction (since it will no doubt be made in India). A higher weld percentage may mean a compromised ride and build quality as compared to the global product.
Not sure if all have noticed this but this is a turn off for me, personally. If I am going to spend 23.40 lakhs of my hard-earned money (OTR Pune for AT top-end model), I would expect a world-class product. And this makes it just the opposite of that. The author claims that this will result in a significant difference in ride quality and handling.

A question to Hyundai: why launch a world-class product with any sort of compromise on build quality? Invest in your manufacturing facilities, upgrade them and then launch this car. Or else at the least, make this available as a CKD in the top-end variants, and in the meantime work on upgrading the assembly lines for the Elantra! Why this third-world treatment for us Indians!?
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 14:45   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
I'm planning to purchase the new Elantra automatic in top spec version in next few weeks. Confused between the petrol and the diesel. Difference in cost is not an issue and I plan to keep the car for 5-7 years.
My yearly running is about 10,000 to 12,000 kms and I'm looking for smoother drive with more pep during both highway drives and around town. All the local dealers in Chandigarh have only the Diesel auto version to test drive which I felt was kinda ho-hum in pickup and NVH.
Also the reviews on Youtube are conflicting regarding the drive of the petrol auto variant - some even saying that "there is lot of noise when stepping on the gas but not much is translated in actual movement"
Sadly could not find official team-bhp review for it.
Anyone has any experience and views on the new petrol Elantra auto as I'm almost about to book it without even test driving the car.
Hi, please see my impressions on the test drive earlier in this thread.

Overall, I felt the petrol engine was peppy with only some noise in Sports mode because the RPMs are held near the red-line for longer. Not enthusiast-level performance but a good overall driving package.
recalcitrant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 11:22   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Official TVC:

RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 22:38   #185
BHPian

Weird question. Does it make sense to buy the old Elantra (few might be left of old stock)? Would get good discounts and I also think the old one had better presence.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th October 2016 at 04:54. Reason: Post edited. Please do not type with excessive...dots...like...this.
Old 17th September 2016, 00:16   #186
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I had been to the new Hyundai Motor Plaza showroom a couple of days back to get the Registration Certificate of my 2 1/2 month old 7000 odd kms done Creta.

This is when I chanced upon seeing the new Elantra. The car is gorgeous, no doubt, but the interiors are very similar to Creta, except for the 8 inch screen, Driver seat is now electronically adjustable.

The major problem is my head was almost touching the roof of Elantra, even though the suspension set wup
Old 17th September 2016, 00:46   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive pits the all-new Elantra AT against the Skoda Octavia AT and the Chevrolet Cruze AT, and awards the overall crown to the Hyundai.

Excerpts:

Quote:
While the engine works very well within the city, its weaknesses are evident on the highway. Sure, the car can comfortably keep a steady highway cruising pace, but the engine feels more strained than the other two at higher speeds. It’s also the slowest car here and managed to get from 0-100kmph in 11.5 seconds. In comparison, the Octavia is the quickest here with 8.7 seconds on the clock, while the Cruze manages the same in a respectable 9.4 seconds. The Elantra did return a good 15.9kmpl in the city and19.2kmpl on the highway.

But the Octavia, with a larger and more powerful engine, still managed to return similar numbers – 15.9kmpl in the city and 19.5kmpl on the highway. The linear power delivery along with that lovely 6-speed dual-clutch transmission makes the Octavia a real charmer on the road. The engine is barely strained at high speeds and just doesn’t seem to run out of breath. In fact, it’s the Octavia’s transmission that makes all the difference. The unit is smooth and super quick to offer downshifts under braking. It’s the reason why the Octavia offers the best fuel efficiency and the best performance despite the power disadvantage to the Cruze.

In the real world, the Cruze’s 2.0-litre turbo diesel isn’t the most likeable one here. Compared to the other two cars, its engine is neither as refined nor as responsive. Until 2,000rpm, there’s a significant amount of lag, and then there’s just lot of wheelspin and torque steer till the car regains its composure in the lower gears. The 6-speed torque converter, while not bad, is the least responsive one here as well. The Cruze really shows its mettle on a long straight road where it effortlessly picks up speed. However, with all that power and the relatively outdated gearbox, efficiency takes a big hit. The Cruze returned just 8.9kmpl in the city and 11.96kmpl on the highway.
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantraskodaoctaviachevroletcruze189.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantraskodaoctaviachevroletcruze178.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantraskodaoctaviachevroletcruze180.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th September 2016 at 00:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 02:13   #188
BHPian

I drove the Elantra today. One of my friends has got the diesel. I am disappointed that why are the Asian companies not coming up with more powerful Diesel engines in this segment. Corolla and then Elantra both have disappointed with their diesels. Only if one of them could match the Skoda's diesel ,their sales would be much higher. This would prove to be a boon to the reducing D segment.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:01   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
I am disappointed that why are the Asian companies not coming up with more powerful Diesel engines in this segment. Corolla and then Elantra both have disappointed with their diesels. Only if one of them could match the Skoda's diesel ,their sales would be much higher. This would prove to be a boon to the reducing D segment.
Toyota is ok to sell a puny 1.4k diesel given the # of yellow plates it sells each year.

With Elantra it is probably a case of 'you cannot have your cake and also eat it'. One reason could be, a more powerful diesel engine will peg Elantra's price dangerously closer to Octavia and Jetta. Fully loaded Octavia (a three year old version) is 3 lakhs more expensive than current version Elantra. Price is an important differentiator.

And there is no comparison between Toyota 1.4 and Elantra 1.6. They are experiences at two different levels. It is true for Elantra vs Jetta too.
bhaskaracs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 23:53   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
I drove the Elantra today. One of my friends has got the diesel. I am disappointed that why are the Asian companies not coming up with more powerful Diesel engines in this segment. Corolla and then Elantra both have disappointed with their diesels. Only if one of them could match the Skoda's diesel ,their sales would be much higher. This would prove to be a boon to the reducing D segment.
Have deliveries started for the new Elantra? Seems like I've been waiting forever. Which city / dealer did your friend get his delivery from?
Old 21st September 2016, 07:58   #191
BHPian

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hyunda...130000408.html
Quote:
The 2017 Hyundai Elantra was named to the inaugural Wards 10 Best User Experiences (UX) list. The Elantra is recognized as a value leader in this year's competition for its user-friendliness and sophistication.

All Hyundai vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by the Hyundai Assurance program, which includes the 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable new vehicle limited warranty, Hyundai's 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty and five years of complimentary Roadside Assistance. Hyundai Blue Link Connected Care provides owners of Hyundai models equipped with the Blue Link telematics system with proactive safety and car care services complimentary for one year with enrollment. These services include Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Vehicle Diagnostic Alert, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and In-Vehicle Service Scheduling.
Waiting to see the day when India stops getting the step child treatment and manufacturers make plug and play cars which are identical across continents. I understand that there are regional and country specific limitations and the gap is getting bridged every year but it is slower then expected.
dragstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 09:21   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Toyota is ok to sell a puny 1.4k diesel given the # of yellow plates it sells each year.

With Elantra it is probably a case of 'you cannot have your cake and also eat it'. One reason could be, a more powerful diesel engine will peg Elantra's price dangerously closer to Octavia and Jetta. Fully loaded Octavia (a three year old version) is 3 lakhs more expensive than current version Elantra. Price is an important differentiator.

And there is no comparison between Toyota 1.4 and Elantra 1.6. They are experiences at two different levels. It is true for Elantra vs Jetta too.
Very well said, I'm quoting the whole post because each word of it makes sense. There are absolutely no complaints on the 1.4 litre, 87 horsepower Corolla, whereas the Elantra has a 1.6 litre, whopping 126 horsepower power in comparison.. more than adequate in my view. Hyundai always needs to undercut the European rivals otherwise the public will belittle them, make jokes about the pricing and it'll be a flop on arrival. Hyundai still needs to please the value-for-money/bargain crowd, otherwise their sales will suffer.

Jetta is not beatable at the moment in this segment, I have said exactly this in my post earlier. Jetta has been an expensive, segment-benchmark for a long time and even though its first-gen in India was a better built, better looking version of itself it hardly sold, the subsequent version looked boring, wasn't as well built but was still the leader in quality and even then it sold less. Hyundai may want to avoid being the benchmark in power/features.. this market isn't ready for that.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:59   #193
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sachin Saxena shares the following via email. Any further information on this?

Quote:
Hi Team-BHP,

I am an avid follower of your forum. Just want to share details on the new Elantra (Petrol).

My brother was looking for an executive sedan within 15-16 lacs budget and after much deliberation, he booked the new Elantra (Petrol) S variant on 1-Sep in NCR.

At the time of booking, dealership had confirmed delivery by 1st week on Oct.

Just 2 days back (after 3 weeks of waiting), dealership informed that there was some allocation issues related to petrol Elantra and delivery will take more time. Upon asking for the reason, they said that Hyundai factory is not accepting petrol Elantra orders (for any variant).

Since I was not convinced with the dealership's response, I escalated the matter to Hyundai and got a call stating "There are some issues at the plant due to which petrol Elantra is not being produced".

They are not coming out with any official statement on the same either.

So everyone (including me) is free to infer anything from this statement, like are there any issues which they found with petrol Elantra during production?

I request if you can cross check more on this information's credibility and share on your forum if deemed fit.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:08   #194
BHPian

I feel this is a very good looking car on the outside and hopefully will be good in the long term as well.

However, I'll go against the grain and say that the interiors, though good looking, look like a design that would go well in say a high end car from the mid 2000s rather than 2016. I'm not sure why I get that feeling but the overall look of the interior feels more like a high end car from the mid 2000s than a mid range car of today.

By the way a question to the Mods, when will we be getting a review of the new Elantra?

Last edited by nmenon : 23rd September 2016 at 17:09. Reason: Punctuation
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:20   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post

It seems to be the common perception that bringing a larger engine will increase costs substantially. Even when different capacity engines belong to the same family, we still think that they cost substantially more to manufacture. It is a different thing that the auto companies will charge for the differentiation and when there are multiple engine options, mark up the higher capacity engine.

My question is that does it really cost the car companies substantially more to produce a higher capacity engine as most of us believe.
For example look at the new Innova. What would be the cost difference for Toyota producing the 2.4GD vs the 2.8GD.

Would it really cost Hyundai 3 lakhs more which they would be forced to pass on to the customer if they decided to go with a 2 liter engine instead of the 1.6 in the new Elantra - assuming ofcourse that they manufacture both engines in India and don't import the higher capacity one fully built.

Maybe someone in the supply chain or product planning for one of the Auto manufacturers in this forum can enlighten us.
Asifgrkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks