Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 16:58   #16
BHPian

re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Interesting news! So, Hyundai is replacing the 1.8 Unit with a new 2.0L Engine producing similar power as the current Elantra but then why no boost in power?
High on equipment, best of the lot design, pretty decent engines with a balanced ride and handling makes it quite a tempting deal. Right pricing and Hyundai is going to nail it again. Also seems like the upcoming Tucson too will get the same 2.0L Petrol engine.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 21:43   #17
BHPian

From Wikipedia:

The Nu 2.0L (1999cc) version of this engine features the same 81mm bore but with a longer stroke of 97mm that produces 164 hp (122 kW; 166 PS) @ 6,500rpm and 148 lb·ft (201 N·m) at 4,800rpm.

An Atkinson Cycle version was released for the 2016 Hyundai Elantra that makes 147 hp (110 kW; 149 PS) @ 6,200rpm and 132 lb·ft (179 N·m) at 4,500rpm.

So expect higher mileage at the cost of 17 horses
nipunkul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 22:42   #18
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The petrol variant has decent power but I was expecting more power from the diesel engine, though I was sure of the diesel engine being the same old one. I guess that Hyundai will stick to what it does the best. Provide a car well equipped at a decent price.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 22:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
but I was expecting more power from the diesel engine
There was a rumor that the new 1.6 diesel engine will have 134 (EDIT: not 146) BHP and 305 Nm.

Not able to find the link to that thread.

It'll be unlike Hyundai to use the same engine in this generation.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 27th May 2016 at 23:02.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 12:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI has posted the official photos of the US version of the India-bound 2017 Hyundai Elantra.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantra5.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantra15.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantra2.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantra6.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantra17.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantra38.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantra28.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantra22.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 09:15   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any idea on the time-frame of the launch as it is already closing towards 2nd half of the year? If the specifications are true then the 1.6 petrol automatic would make good sense for my needs, but I don't want to keep waiting only to read that the launch is for festive season or early next year.

The Elantra would be the only option to upgrade from a Getz as the i20 or even the Verna aren't remotely as well built. A total price just below the 20 mark for a 1.6 automatic should be possible, if so count me as one of the first ones to book and review the vehicle. Styling wise it is one of the most beautiful Hyundai vehicles ever in my view.. less curvy and sensational than its previous version yet very sophisticated and simple. Just what I'd like.

Last edited by dark.knight : 14th June 2016 at 09:19.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 10:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
US version of the India-bound 2017 Hyundai Elantra.
And the US version gets a lukewarm welcome. The main USP for the car is still the features it packs for the price it is offered. Handling is very good, though the steering is still the same PlayStation type.

Looks like the upcoming Civic is still the car to beat. Hyundai should establish the market for the Elantra before the mid 2017 launch planned for the Honda.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 11:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

So the whole world is down-sizing and using forced induction on their petrol engines, and Hyundai is going against the tide by replacing their 1.8L petrol with a 2.0L petrol, that too without any significant power gains?

Also, I somehow don't like the design direction of the new gen Hyundai's - first, the Sonata and now the Elantra. The centre console looks so dated, IMHO

Interiors of the latest Sonata -

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaisonatahybridreview201512.jpg

And then the upcoming Elantra - ( better than the Sonata, but still not good enough )

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-abtl_2017hyundaielantralimiteddashboard.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 21:26   #24
BHPian

I somehow feel such simple designs are much better than the funky sporty interiors every manufacturer has started offering.
Elegance is simplicity! Such designs though a little boring are created to last. It's a practical well laid out cabin with that tinch of sophistication everyone wants, after a point of time one is ought to get bored of sporty interiors with all the bling bling and at the end would like something simpler, such interiors are much more soothing to the eyes in the long run. Given a choice if I have to buy a car in the D Segment solely on the interiors, for a short term Civic any day but for a few years down the line definitely Elantra. A fabulous looking car with a sophisticated simple interior layout.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 23:02   #25
BHPian

Wow, the car surely looks amazing! I'm loving Hyundai's new design language. Sharp, clean and contemporary without being over the top.

BUT but but not a fan of the interiors. Being a Hyundai, I'm pretty sure that quality and equipment will be great, but the design fails to excite me. It looks a tad boring and dated IMO. It lacks the elegance of the Octavia or the flair of the Civic or previous gen Elantra.

Here's a review from Car and Driver (US spec) -
http://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/elantra

I found the segment rankings quite interesting -
1. Mazda 3
2. VW Golf
3. Honda Civic
4. Kia Soul
5. Chevrolet Cruze
6. Hyundai Elantra
7. Ford Focus
8. VW Jetta

But gotta give credit to Hyundai for bringing their latest and best to India, soon after their international launch. They really have come a long way. Honda/Toyota, take note!
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 09:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I somehow feel such simple designs are much better than the funky sporty interiors every manufacturer has started offering. Elegance is simplicity! Such designs though a little boring are created to last. It's a practical well laid out cabin with that tinch of sophistication everyone wants, after a point of time one is ought to get bored of sporty interiors with all the bling bling and at the end would like something simpler, such interiors are much more soothing to the eyes in the long run.
This is exactly the reason why I like the car inside out, there is an essence of sophistication in the design.. conservative yet luxurious. Boy-racer interiors with chrome highlights, red console lighting and aluminium pedals was never my kind of interiors. Even the previous gen Elantra had striking interiors at first with its waterfall centre console, 4-spoke steering and beige-grey-aluminium finish, but today it looks kind of overdone with the swooping lines and curves. This interior, however will stand the test of time. The fluidic Elantra had a great team of designers itself but this one had Peter Schreyer working directly on it to boost quality in everyway (body rigidity+ interior layout+ aerodynamics) and also was tuned with the assistance of Albert Biermann with a few laps around the 'ring'. This is a mini-Genesis of sorts. At this price point the car deserves to be all about luxury but with great drivability and I believe this will be all that. The Elantra has also scored full safety points in ENCAP, IIHS & NHTSA. Maybe the Indian version may not get quite as many safety assists, maybe it will, I don't care.

With enough research done I called the dealer up to ask for an approximate release date and instead of the usual running around the question and pleading ignorance he confidently replied that it would arrive within a time-frame of August 1st week or August month-end. The only thing left to see are the engine configurations & which ones get the auto-boxes. Personally the exteriors are the most beautiful ever, a perfect mix of rounded headlamps and conservative lines. I aim to be first in line for the booking, after 11 years of peaceful ownership (Santro 3, Getz 8) it'll be a great experience of changing to another Hyundai, their reliability is on par with the best and that's what I want.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 07:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Next Gen Elantra spied again.

Expected to launch in the second half of the year; likely to be powered by a 2.0-litre petrol and 1.6-litre diesel engine.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_extraimages_20160617063159_spyx.jpg

Quote:
new Elantra moves away from the ‘fluidic’ styling of its predecessor with a more mature design crowned by Hyundai’s prominent hexagonal grille.
Inside, Hyundai has done away with the current model’s flowing dashboard design for a more traditional unit with a touchscreen infotainment system expected to take pride of place atop the centre console. Hyundai is also expected to up cabin quality with improved materials and a significant list of features
Quote:
Technical details for the Indian model remain unconfirmed but Hyundai has been testing the Elantra in India with a 149hp, 2.0-litre naturally aspirated petrol motor alongside Hyundai’s popular 136hp, 1.6-litre diesel engine. In all probability, these would be the engines that will feature under the hood of the car when launched in the country.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-402329.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th June 2016 at 07:41.
Old 20th June 2016, 08:23   #28
BHPian

From a design point of view this looks like a step backwards for hyundai.
The old fluidic elantra was unique and eye grabbing especially in red.. It literally looked like no other car on the road. Same goes for its interiors.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2014hyundaielantralongtermreport1.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundaielantrafluidicindiareview37.jpg

This new one looks like a bloated verna and its interiors look quite generic.

Hyundai having its 9th gen civic moment?
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 12:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Same goes for its interiors.

This new one looks like a bloated verna and its interiors look quite generic.
I agree the most unique aspect of Fluidic Elantra is its waterfall central console - albeit adorned with an outdated blue light display (until it was changed to black in its 2015 refresh). But then, with beige and black interiors, it stood out from the crowd with its distinct character to go with its Fludic theme outside.

Pricing will be crucial for the face-lift to succeed.

Current gen Elantra CRDI AT (fully loaded version) is > 21lakhs OTR. It is already 1.5 to 2 lakhs expensive in its current avatar on the road. It is quite evident from the precious little numbers it is selling since the last refresh (Beige to Black!) when its price was bumped by 2.0-2.5 lakhs.

Hyundai always struggled to maintain badge value in this segment. It was able to do so by maintaining a 15%-20% price differential between Elantra and more accomplished cars till date. I dont see any reason why someone will shell out 24 lakhs for an Elantra OTR (this is what the 2016 facelift will command on road when it is launched). When launched at this price (which it will with all probability) it will be ridiculously close to VW Jetta HL AT and Octavia TSI AT etc. Perhaps the difference in price between Elantra CRDI AT and the Eu rivals (top end) will be about a lakh or two.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 19:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised most reviewers abroad aren't too fond of the design. I absolutely love the looks. A Jaguar badge wouldn't look out of place on this car!

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 20th June 2016 at 19:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks