Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:47   #106
BHPian

re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

I don't understand why we get shortchanged on safety front even in higher segment cars?

The base model of elantra in US costs $17,150 (Rs 11.5 lakhs) but it gets all airbags

Last edited by sri_tesla : 23rd August 2016 at 13:01.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:48   #107
BHPian

Finally.. New Elantra is launched at 12.99 Lakh. Range is from 12.99 to 17.99 Lakh

Hyundai Elantra petrol prices in Rs (Ex-Delhi)
S 12.99L
SX 14.79L
SX AT 15.89L
SX (O) 16.59L
SX (O) AT 17.99L

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-402823.aspx

Quote:
Hyundai has launched the new Elantra with prices starting at Rs 12.99 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). A rival to the likes of the Skoda Octavia, Chevrolet Cruze and Volkswagen Jetta, the new Elantra is available with a choice of petrol and diesel engines paired to a 6-speed manual gearbox as standard, along with an automatic option.
Available in five trim levels – S, SX, SX AT, SX(O), SX(O) AT – the new Elantra comes equipped with a new 2.0-litre petrol motor in place of the old 1.8-litre unit. The new four-cylinder engine is rated to output 152hp with power channeled to the front wheels. The diesel unit is the same tried and tested 1.6-litre diesel unit as the outgoing model with output at an identical 126hp.
The new Elantra sits on a revised version of the old car’s platform but with a more mature design. Interior quality has also taken a step up with improved materials across the cabin. Hyundai is also offering a long equipment list with the top trim getting equipment such assix airbags and Vehicle Stability Control.
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:27   #108
Team-BHP Support

Smart pricing vis a vis the Corolla. Going by the prices, the most hit will perhaps be the Jetta (now and even later, assuming VW bring the next gen to India).

Found this comparo on another website, between the Elantra, Jetta, Corolla and Octavia:

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/08/2...corolla-240273
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:36   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
While the SX(O) automatic variant is shown to have side & curtain airbags, ventilated front seats, speed sensing auto door lock and an electric sunroof, these are shown as missing on the SX(O) manual.

I, for one, am quite convinced that these are errors. I belive the SX(O) manual and automatic will get the exact same feature list, except for things such as clutch lock & AT shift lock (obviously).
Unfortunately this seems to be case , really disappointed, so people have to compromise on features if they opt for Manual
gouravsinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:45   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
However, I think the SX(O) variant's feature list will be the same for both the MT & AT (apart from the obvious transmission related stuff).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouravsinha View Post
Unfortunately this seems to be case , really disappointed, so people have to compromise on features if they opt for Manual
Actually; there's a bunch of things in SX(O) AT over the MT:

- Side and curtain airbags
- Sunroof
- Ventilated front seats

This isn't new; even on the EcoSport, the AT variant is called Titanium and there's one major difference between Titanium AT and MT: the AT variant gets curtain and side airbags.

Manufacturers probably throw in additional features in the AT to justify a much higher price than that for just the AT box.
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:00   #111
BHPian

Hyundai really needs to find some decent copywriters.

"Advance Safety" & "Starying adaptive guidelines"
Attached Thumbnails
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-elantra.jpg  

d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:11   #112
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

For your consumption, pictures sent to my friend by the SA from whom he bought a Creta recently. Seems to be a SX(O) AT variant.

Cheers,
Sid.
Attached Thumbnails
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-file_001.jpeg  

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-file_002.jpeg  

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-file_003.jpeg  

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-file_004.jpeg  

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-file_005.jpeg  

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-file_000.jpeg  

sidparekh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has not played it smart when it comes to features of Elantra, this is very similar to the strategy adopted for Creta. There are several features which are available in Verna, i20 and even i10 Grand at trims lower than the offered trims in Elantra.

I am not able to understand this strategy, this is fleecing customers who have faith in the brand.

Pricing otherwise is okay, they could have gone a bit aggressive as this is not Creta and D-Segment buyers have a different bent of mind.
i74js is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:18   #114
BHPian

Is this car actually manufactured in India or is it assembled here? While the car itself looks fantastic - I was wondering the logic of launching a product in a segment which is not very fast moving these days. The cars in one segment below pretty much offer the same features with only a marginal drop in leg space at the back. Perhaps they want to maintain their brand equity? Even the previous generation Elantra - whilst a nice and well rounded product hardly set the charts on fire. In Bombay at least, irrespective of the A.S.S. horror stories a consumer with this budget would more likely opt for a Skoda or VW or the Toyota Altis. I think Honda has done a smart thing by completely pulling out of this segment.
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:33   #115

Looks every bit like an i20 from the front and the dash reminds me of the Honda City.
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

The D Segment is actually shrinking in volumes. From the look of it, Elantra seems to have gone down market as far as the interiors and features are concerned. The exterior looks good but so does the outgoing model. They should have brought in a new diesel instead of using the 1.6 from the Verna. The 2.0 petrol is going to be a gas guzzler for sure. I feel it's a step backwards from the outgoing Elantra. If there are any deals to be had on left over stocks of the out going model it would be great.
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:08   #117
BHPian

Is the sunroof standard across all variants or only available on top variant ?

Regards
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:15   #118

Its utterly foolish of Hyundai to omit the features on top-end trim for manual variant when they are offering the same on automatic?

Only God knows the logic. You can get couple of ford figo titanium+ for 20 lacs (Probably 3 if you bargain with the dealer ) than buying a 20 lac SX (O) manual with 2 airbags !!!
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

The pricing looks like Hyundai is mainly targeting the petrol/automatic customer.

There is one in the budget and the other fully loaded.

What's the difference between Electronic stability control and vehicle stability management? I thought it's one and the same. Unless Hyundai is splitting it between the wheels and steering input.

Overall looks interesting but I now shudder to think as to what Hyndai will price the Tucson at ?
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:39   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
The cars in one segment below pretty much offer the same features with only a marginal drop in leg space at the back. Perhaps they want to maintain their brand equity?
It is not fair to compare C with D segment cars. The leg room, quality of interiors and the ambience, including their presence on the roads is very different. Just look at the quality of plastic and seating material used in City/Ciaz/Vento compared to what is on offer in a Jetta or Elantra. There is no comparison. And there exists a market for them and they are selling. The fact that they sell fewer numbers actually add to the premium positioning for such cars. Altis high monthly numbers include fleet sales too - so it is not a fair comparison to make. Jetta/Octavia/Elantra are not too cab forward. Manufacturers seem to be happy with the volumes they are generating. Reason why they continue to stay invested in this segment.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 23rd August 2016 at 17:46.
bhaskaracs is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed