Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 18:04   #121
BHPian

Re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Being the owner of the Fluidic Elantra, this car doesn't strike that "Wow, this looks amazing" feeling on the very first impression.

Hyundai changed the design of the Verna and it failed badly. I see something similar taking place with this new Elantra as well. It isn't a head turner like the previous generation Elantra.
Old 23rd August 2016, 18:37   #122
BHPian

I would have expected Hyundai to set the standard w.r.t safety but they are showing they are just one step better than toyota by offering 6 airbags in just one variant (BTW, current Altis does not have it in any variant). Really disappointing

Source: http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...IP/index.html#

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-hyundai-elantra-airbags.png
Old 23rd August 2016, 19:40   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
I don't understand why we get shortchanged on safety front even in higher segment cars?

The base model of elantra in US costs $17,150 (Rs 11.5 lakhs) but it gets all airbags
Taxes my friend (state, central and at every level without adequate coverage of input credits) and lack of economies of scale.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:52   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Well it may not account for much, but when I heard there's a display car out I simply had to go and check, this for me was something I've been keeping a keen eye out for since its U.S launch days so I felt like a piece of America has landed finally.

The car feels solid, it has more of a Bimmer 3 feel as far a doors go, crisp and even-feeling shut.. not a clumsy sudden thud like Logan. The plastics are A+ quality and overall it is as expected. I understand where people come from when they say its too simple, or that the interior is too plain.. the interiors indeed are plain. My answer remains that I don't need the creases, or contrasting colours or sporty looks inside, its easy to understand, very ergonomic (as long as you can read the size of the car) and is simplicity in its most beautiful form. I've sat in a Corolla taxi and I can certify that this one from the inside build point of view beats a Corolla hollow. This is certainly much, much closer to the Jetta, a car which I've driven and respect as the only complete VW car there is. I never actually spent time trying to play with the menus, or work the switches.. I needed to analyse other things in an already compressed time-frame. I didn't ask questions either as pretty much everything was listed yesterday here by fellow members and I know for sure that the sales team would've just about practised saying "new Elantra" by now.

Provisionally booked - all that remains is a test drive which will be next week, only then can I even think of variant as well. My hands and legs will give me the right answer so only time can tell.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 00:10   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I was wondering the logic of launching a product in a segment which is not very fast moving these days. The cars in one segment below pretty much offer the same features with only a marginal drop in leg space at the back.i think Honda has done a smart thing by completely pulling out of this segment.
I beg to differ regarding statement about D segment. It's not only about leg space but about build quality, additional safety, exclusivity and the premium stature the segment commands over any pseudo SUV or other C segment sedans. I don't think any car in one segment lower or these pseudo SUV's provides the kind of safety say a Skoda or Jetta provides. That necessarily is not restricted to 8 airbags or ABS with hydraulic brake assist but rather includes a long list of features not limited to electronic differential lock, multi collision braking , all four disc brakes, traction control ,ESP, parktronic assist and auto leveling headlights.

This segment is never about the numbers but about exclusivity and withdrawal of Civic was one big mistake Honda committed which started its downfall from a premium badge to a mass market manufacturer. Thankfully Honda is correcting the mistake and is bringing back the civic and from what we can see in the US review we can expect a blockbuster of a car.

Kudos to Hyundai for bringing an excellent product in the form of Elantra.
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 01:59   #126
Senior - BHPian

Why is it that the price difference between petrol and diesel versions is 1.8L for the base variant, but 1.1L for the top variant?
Old 24th August 2016, 08:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Why is it that the price difference between petrol and diesel versions is 1.8L for the base variant, but 1.1L for the top variant?

All companies do this to draw footfalls to the showrooms. Elantra at 12.99 lakhs in the advertisement looks appealing , right ?
You start thinking its an Elantra for Verna price.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 24th August 2016 at 08:12.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 09:36   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Actually; there's a bunch of things in SX(O) AT over the MT:

- Side and curtain airbags
- Sunroof
- Ventilated front seats

This isn't new; even on the EcoSport, the AT variant is called Titanium and there's one major difference between Titanium AT and MT: the AT variant gets curtain and side airbags.

Manufacturers probably throw in additional features in the AT to justify a much higher price than that for just the AT box.
Actually, one can buy a manual titanium with side airbags, just that they have to opt for the optional O variant. What Hyundai has done is worse, if one wants all the safety features one must go for the AT? Are they for real?
Instead of leading in safety like they did with the first i20 with six airbags, they're now taking step backwards which is unfortunate.
Jetta for me any day over this.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 09:59   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
This segment is never about the numbers but about exclusivity and withdrawal of Civic was one big mistake Honda committed which started its downfall from a premium badge to a mass market manufacturer. Thankfully Honda is correcting the mistake and is bringing back the civic and from what we can see in the US review we can expect a blockbuster of a car.
I agree! Honda made a major strategic mistake in discontinuing both the Civic and the Accord thereby leaving their flagship as the City. I am of course ignoring the CRV which was anyway a niche vehicle from day one.

They should have got their elusive Earth Dreams (?) diesel to India even if it meant importing the entire power-train. Even today I look with deep appreciation at well-maintained Civics/Accord V6s, and wonder how on earth a global company simply bowed out of both these segments?

For example the Civic's quality interior with the lovely steering wheel and digital speedo was years ahead and even now looks contemporary!

Many buyers of City and Amaze need/needed to aspire towards their idea of a halo car and both the Civic/Accord fulfilled this critical purpose.

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th August 2016 at 10:00. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 10:05   #130
BANNED

This is the only company that could have taken on the Octavia and the (to be discontinued) Jetta and given both a hard time. Which is saying quite a lot for a non German.

All that it needed was a 2.0L diesel and a well tuned suspension. With its service levels and reliability the Elantra would have been a no brainer. It probably equals and even betters the Octavia in other areas.

But sadly, it isn't going to be.

Going by the initial reports on the suspension and the small diesel engine this isnt even in the same league.

Forget taking them on.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 10:24   #131
BHPian

2016 Hyundai Elantra Vs The Rest :

Diesel Version
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-diesel.jpg

Petrol Version
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-petrol.jpg

Source
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 17:08   #132
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has slowly but surely moved away from its core identity, which I believe was giving great features and striking design for a reasonable price. The new Elantra looks great but not as striking as the previous Elantra. The interiors look staid when compared to the previous car, but I do appreciate this simplicity.

With the new Elantra, they have provided more features but only in the top-end variant and only with an automatic transmission. Those going for the SX(O) manual will feel shortchanged. The S variant is barebones, but is priced well for what it offers. The engines are nothing to write about too. And I wonder what's up with the huge price difference between the diesel and the petrol model prices, especially if we consider the fact that the diesel engine is a much smaller unit.

I feel that the only USP of this car is that it is a reliable car in its segment(like the Corolla) and you don't need to spend too much to get it(like the Germans). So basically if someone doesn't want to go for a Skoda or VW and finds the Corolla boring, he/she can go in for the Elantra. I do not know if this can really be called a USP.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 19:44   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope Skoda drops the prices of the Octavia to match the Elantra, much like Ford did on the Ecosport with the arrival of the Vitara. An Octavia 1.4 TSI at 12.99 Lacs would be awesome.
Old 24th August 2016, 21:48   #134
Senior - BHPian

Though new gen Elantra looks good and might have good quality interiors, I still prefer previous gen looks. There is no wow factor with new gen Elantra and Hyundai has definitely messed up with feature list especially on safety front. I prefer a car with manual tranny and I am forced to buy an AT if I want more airbags and sun roof - what a joke. Also that AT transmission is neither a dual clutch unit nor ZF

Though 12.99L can bring prospective customers to their showroom, only top end AT variant comes with all bells & whistles. Spending over 20L OTR on SX variant and still don't get 6 airbags where as Ecosport costing half can get you that.

Also the price difference between Petrol and that puny diesel engine is high IMO. One is a gas guzzler and other one is relatively under powered for its segment.

Last edited by djay99 : 24th August 2016 at 22:05.
Old 25th August 2016, 07:22   #135
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to note that Hyundai is offering an automatic is a lower spec as well for the Elantra. The auto comes in SX trim as well which I am sure is going to find a lot of takers. A lot of segment players offer AT only on their highest spec models.

While the Elantra has lost out on the swoopy exterior design of the previous variant (the best executed fluidic example) I like the interior design a lot which is classy and elegant.

Engines are okay, nothing to write home about. I am sure they will be adequate. A 2.0L diesel is missed and would have really taken on the Jetta. In it's absence they should have given the petrol more pizzazz.

I hope they have a well sorted out ride and handling package. At this level Hyundai cannot just rely on their brilliance at interiors to power sales as they very successfully do in the lower segments.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks