Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Mod Note: Our Hyundai Elantra Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The fifth-generation Hyundai Elantra has been around in India since 2012. The company gave it a mid-life facelift in 2015 and the car currently holds the number 2 spot in its segment (in terms of sales). Now, the sixth-generation Elantra has been spotted doing test runs in Salem, Tamil Nadu.

The new model is 40 mm longer (4,570 mm), 25 mm wider (1,800 mm) and 30 mm shorter (1,440 mm) than the Elantra on sale in India today. Its wheelbase remains unchanged at 2,700 mm. In international markets, the Elantra comes with a choice of 3 engines - 2 petrol units (1.6L & 2.0L) and 1 diesel (1.6L). There's a 6-speed manual and automatic gearbox on offer. The diesel gets a 7-speed DCT. The US-spec Elantra gets a 1.4L turbo petrol motor + a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission (link to news article).

The interiors of the Elantra borrow several components from the Sonata / Genesis and have soft-touch materials. The centre console is tilted towards the driver at 6.9 degrees. It also features a memory function for the driver's seat, a Harman audio system with 8 speakers + amplifier and a smart trunk function, which opens the boot when it senses the smart key over 3 seconds within the sensing zone.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2016hyundaielantrafrontsnappedtestinginindiaforfirsttimespied.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2016hyundaielantrarearthreequartersnappedtestinginindiaforfirsttimespied.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2016hyundaielantrasideprofilesnappedtestinginindiaforfirsttimespied.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2016hyundaielantrarearsnappedtestinginindiaforfirsttime.jpg

Image source: IAB

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2016 at 11:21.
S2!!! is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh

Got to applaud Hyundai for being proactive and bringing in their newest products into India. Automakers in India must learn from Hyundai ! Made for India (cheap, old cars) is not the formula ! India wants the newest smartphone and the the newest car! Imagine Creta does 10,000 plus units at a price point of 12 Lakhs plus ! Thats insane ! Now all Hyundai need is a proper MPV and it will make Toyota run for cover
nik_kapur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:28   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, that was quick! The Elantra only just made its debut and the Indian arm already got their hands on the car. As nik_kapur said, hats off for getting the latest products to India.

With this test car, they are probably testing & tuning the 1.6L diesel & petrol for India. How she looks without the camo. Hate that front grille:
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-0.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-1.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2.jpg

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-3.jpg
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 10:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai is rumoured to be gearing up to launch the sixth-generation Elantra in India by mid-2016.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 1st April 2016, 11:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Elantra has been the only Hyundai design that appeals to me (The Sante Fe too). Having experienced the car, I can say that Hyundai are up with the best when it comes to building cars. The Elantra has never quite made it in India (sales) but in no way should one under estimate this car. Even the current design appeals. It is a well made, high quality car.

This new design, takes that sharp quotient, that the Elantra already has, to another level.
Old 1st April 2016, 12:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The Elantra has been the only Hyundai design that appeals to me (The Sante Fe too). Having experienced the car, I can say that Hyundai are up with the best when it comes to building cars. The Elantra has never quite made it in India (sales) but in no way should one under estimate this car. Even the current design appeals. It is a well made, high quality car.

This new design, takes that sharp quotient, that the Elantra already has, to another level.
Actually its the best selling car in its segment! Or at least was not so long ago.

The new design is cleaner though no where near as dramatic as the fluidic theme. Seems more european which is the design language at Hyundai these days. But i like it - it seems a blend of Honda Civic (side + rear) + Ford Focus (front) that is taken to the next level of neat.
Old 1st April 2016, 17:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's great news! Hope they did some tweaking to make it a big more driver happy car and retain the current pricing!

It does look like a Jag in some angles
Old 1st April 2016, 17:13   #8
BHPian

I have a feeling Hyundai will not launch Elantra this year. They will wait for the VW Group and Toyota to hike prices to sway customers towards an Elantra. They have to maintain atleast 10% lower price than EU cars if Elantra has to emerge as the segment leader. They have got Elantra pricing completely wrong in my view.

The on-road price of the fully loaded incumbent CRDI AT (the one with Jet black interiors and projector head lamps) trends upwards of 21 lakhs in several cities (discounts exist - but on paper pricing is what matters). It is already priced too high according to me if they had a new launch in mind round the corner. This is about two lakhs short of what a fully loaded Jetta might cost.

The pre-face lift version (one with beige interiors which was sold until mid-2015) was never competing with Jetta/Octavia. It carved a niche for the price point at which it was offered (18.5-19 lakhs OTR).

A new version of Elantra might aspire to command a price as high as Jetta. But despite owning a Neo Fluidic Elantra CRDI AT myself (pre-facelift), I dont believe Hyundai has found any credible attribute to differentiate the to-be-launched Elantra from the EU stable (which are a little more expensive).

If they stick to incumbent pricing, then folks who bought the earlier face lift version with all black interiors will be a weeping lot on these forums!

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 1st April 2016 at 17:15.
Old 1st April 2016, 17:42   #9
BHPian

Indeed. It was the segment leader for a long time until the new corolla altis came in. I am wondering how altis manages to do such good numbers. It looks very boring, both interior and exterior. ( no offence meant to the owners). I understand the reliability factor. But these days most of the other cars are as good in terms of reliability. So what makes people buy altis?. I would love to hear experts views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Actually its the best selling car in its segment! Or at least was not so long ago.

The new design is cleaner though no where near as dramatic as the fluidic theme. Seems more european which is the design language at Hyundai these days. But i like it - it seems a blend of Honda Civic (side + rear) + Ford Focus (front) that is taken to the next level of neat.
Old 7th April 2016, 19:34   #10
BHPian

Found a camouflaged Elantra roaming in Chennai today. The car is clearly a size bigger than the Toyota Corolla Altis which was fueling up next to it. I couldn't get a better shot since the lights turned green. Even the Hyundai logo on the alloys was covered but the design and size were unmistakably of the new 6th generation Elantra which I believe is coming sometime this year.

Surprisingly, there were no LED turn indicators on the ORVMs! Even the Grand i10 has it! The base model maybe? (or the sun playing tricks with my eye and camera)

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-file_000.jpeg

This is my first ever attempt at posting something on Team-BHP. I have been an ardent follower of the forum for years; so much that it is always the first tab on my most visited pages. I love writing about cars and have done a few pieces for the section called 'Garage Grandeur' in the magazine 'CEO Lifestyle'. Somehow never really felt inclined to post until today. Please excuse any mistake(s) I might have made while posting since I am completely new to posting on a forum.
Kingston is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 20:34   #11
Team-BHP Support

Not necessarily a bad thing, but that car looks too much like a Ford. If it handles half as good as one too, it'd be a treat given they usually get everything else (fit & finish, materials and equipment) pretty spot on these days.

Hyundai are making serious inroads into developed markets, which is impressive considering they were pretty much a laughing stock there not too long ago.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 19:17   #12
BHPian

For more sales of elantra they should seriously consider fitting 2ltr, 170hp diesel in it.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Hyundai Elantra!

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantrareview-1.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantrareview-3.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantrareview-6.jpg
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-2017hyundaielantrareview-7.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/fiv...7-hyundai.html
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 11:46   #14
BHPian

Hyundai has launched the Elantra in a more powerful avatar, the Avante Sport in Korea. The Elantra in Korea is sold under the name 'Avante'.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-he.jpg

Powering the car is the turbocharged four-pot, T-GDi 1.6-litre motor which makes a peak torque of 265Nm and 204 BHP and is mated to a 6 Speed manual and 7 speed dual clutch AT. Hyundai claims 0-100 in 8 seconds.

Autocar says this version is based on the next-gen Elantra which is slated to launch in India later this year

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-401626.aspx

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 4th May 2016 at 11:55.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 06:13   #15
BHPian

Several units of 2017 Elantra have been brought in for testing.

Diesel variants powered by the 1.6L D4FB engine capable of 126 BHP and 264 Nm of torque. Petrol variant powered by 2.0L engine capable of 147 BHP and 179 Nm of torque.

The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh-capture2.jpg

Source: Zauba
Senna4Ever is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed