Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 18:00   #16

Re: Video: Driverless Tata Nano!

Proud to see this come up.. i noticed three things that I would like to discuss

First, in India the single lane driving is virtually non existent .. people drive all over the place.. does this technology allow the car to stick to one lane .. if so, lane separating lines are also missing almost 90% of roads, how well does the computer respond to that..

Second, you mechanics look extremely heavy & bulky.. the car is almost all the way down with all the weight of the equipment.. does that comply with the max load of the car when its in full with 5 passengers & the equipment?

Third (a little early to be asking this question i guess), what is the top speeds that the computer can handle .. does it comply with/ have the technology to recognize road speed limits?
Old 24th February 2016, 18:04   #17
BHPian

Dr. Roshy is a friend. Have asked him to join this. If he agrees, will join soon.

It will be great if he comes answers some of your queries. To me, the crazy part is, it runs on Indian roads !! Kudos mate
druva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 23:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

The modularity of the system amazed me. Would love it retro for on my cars!
Old 26th February 2016, 09:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Dr. Roshy is a friend. Have asked him to join this. If he agrees, will join soon.

It will be great if he comes answers some of your queries. To me, the crazy part is, it runs on Indian roads !! Kudos mate
Druva: He has got his hands full now. But he is following this thread.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Dr.Roshy, hope he join this community and share his experience.
Old 27th February 2016, 17:38   #21
BHPian

He has registered. Waiting for admin for approval.
devakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 20:21   #22
BHPian

Roshy,

Very commendable effort. I've always imagined this use case of retrofitting a small electric motor (1-3 kW?) to the non driven wheels and providing power to it in the crawling traffic. The car should sort of self accelerate when it detects space in front and should stop when there's something in front. This theoretically can be done using sonar alone at less than 10 kmph which is how fast we drive in the morning rush anyway. Power can be drawn from the alternator with slight modification. So at least in the first iteration, the engine will have to be running inorder to power the electric motor and for AC.
Old 28th February 2016, 11:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Spectacular! Dr. Roshy John and team, please take a bow!

That Nano is plying very close to my office. Haven't had the luck to see it in person yet. Converting a MT to AMT and taking the car from virtual surroundings to real life is really a lot of work.

And whats even more impressive is the fact their all their components are modular and can be fitted to any vehicle in an hour. And the video shows a self driving TUV 300 towards the end.

One question I have is whether the system has the capability to reverse on its own. Didn't spot a camera at the rear of the car.

Proud to see this happening in our country. All the best!
Old 1st March 2016, 19:11   #24
BHPian

Fantastic Dr. Roshy. It is an achievement considering the innumerable bits and pieces in terms of hardware, software, technology, your skillsets and team work to get this going, tested and run to this magnitude. You have well considered adaption to hardware, software, culture on the road and how it can be put into a praiseworthy result.

Kudos Mate… You are a star
Old 4th March 2016, 00:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Jalopnik had an article on this project yesterday. They are really impressed by the fact that Dr. Roshy and his team was able to make it happen on a car with manual transmission.

Read more using the link below. There are also a couple of really cool GIFs typical of Jalopnik.

Meet the first autonomous car that car drive stick
Old 4th March 2016, 11:28   #26
BHPian

Dr. John's post on LinkedIn detailing his research project is a must read. A simple but powerful story of finding a problem, and going about solving it based on tools available at hand. I would be very keen to see how this progresses from hereon. I feel there is great scope for driverless mobile robots in many spheres, not just passenger transport. (Think driverless, error free Forklifts, Mining trucks, etc).
Old 16th March 2016, 19:55   #27
BHPian

Articles on this start to appear on the web...

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...omous/51420122

Some interesting extracts :
  • John's journey wasn't easy though. They were often interrogated by the police, who got suspicious about the cameras and many computers in the car.

• To import the scanners, John had to submit a 3 page essay to the commissioner of customs before he was given his package. Amidst work responsibilities and project deadlines, John and his team have been at work on the autonomous Nano.

• A demo event for people to experience the technology will be scheduled soon.

• Having invested more than Rs 1 crore on the research, he is testing the technology on other cars.
rubicon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:52   #28

Read this article about Mr.Roshy.

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/featu...-news-1.928533

What I dont understand is, how did he manage to test this KL registration vehicle in Bangalore????

Might have escaped because the police couldnt find the driver.
anup996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 18:59   #29

Mr.Roshy wrote a new blog about his driverless car research giving some more insights on the technology he is working on.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-...ve-common-john
anup996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 09:25   #30
BANNED

Thank you Anup for putting up this thread with this extraordinary find. And all the kudos to Dr. Roshy and his team for this terrific achievement. It is good to know that he is currently with TCS and did not opt for a multi-national. Way to go, sir! All our hopes and best wishes are with you! You are doing India proud.

I find it astonishing that this kind of effort does not find any mention or follow up in main stream media - while Arnab Goswami & his ilk continue tom-tomming their channels' pedestrian achievements as ground-breaking scoops & exposes.

Sorry for the rant but our topsy-turvy world & the skewed sense of priorities within the pillars of our fourth estate still gets my goat!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks