Team-BHP - Video: Driverless Tata Nano!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Video: Driverless Tata Nano! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/173521-video-driverless-tata-nano.html)

Saw this Driverless Nano research in Youtube, really interesting and inspiring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mPanjv50TM

truly inspiring. Proudly made in India. Our people are truly the best, when given space and encouragement. I am eager to see a fully autonomous vehicle made in India, hopefully before google can release their cumbersome buggy.

Brilliant. I wish such people occupied top positions in the auto industry, the car world would be a better place. Is Mr.Roshy on TBHP by any chance?

Really well done !! Shows how much untapped potential is there in India. How much would the implementation cost for this project?

I bet it would be done at fraction of others in Market?

On a search in LinkedIn I found this article written by him about his driverless car development

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-s...vert-tata-john

Truly inspiring! I wish this actually comes to fruition and is supported by the larger auto industry. Great going, Dr. Roshy!:)

This is truly awesome! They converted a manual nano to automatic first, and then used it to make it drive itself! The passion of these engineers towards this is amazing.
With efforts from such folks and some efforts from Manufacturers we can expect such tech to come to India, may be in 5 years from now?
We know that most manufacturers predict such cars to hit roads by 2017, so lets hope, these reach our shores too a little after that.

Everytime someone says the magic words "I'm proud to say" and " India" in the same sentence, my eyes start getting teary. Must be something in the air that irritates my eyes.

Way to go Mr. Roshy! Hope this guy and his team joins TBhp soon.

Amazing! I am sure this project will be sucessful and competes with all the driverless cars made by billion dollar companies. We know what Tata says - if it works in India, it'll work everywhere else! I like how they chose our own Nano instead of the foreign Maruti 800 or Alto.

But kinda sad that a stupid iPhone knock off has got more attention than what is a real Indian innovation. I strongly urge fellow bhpians to share this video on social media- we all agree this project deserves more attention. It did get 3k more views since it was posted here though! Thank you very much Anup for bringing this to our attention.

Great Work. Hope they take it to next level.

Below is the profile of Dr. Roshy John from LinkedIn.

Quote:

Current: Tata Consultancy Services
Previous : LG Electronics, Wipro Technologies, National Institute Of Technology Tiruchirappalli
Education: National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli

Dr.Roshy John did his Ph.D in Robotics from National Institute of Technology,
Tiruchirappalli, India. He has over twelve years of experience in developing robots for
different Industries such as high tech, consumer electronics, automotive, retail and
banking. His major research interest is in robotics and automation that helps to replace
humans from mundane and repetitive tasks, mainly in Banking and Retail applications.
He has 16 granted patents filed in robotics, consumer electronics and software
algorithms. Prior to TCS he was working with LG Electronics as a Senior Scientist
managing the consumer robot product R&D.

Drones
Autonomous Mobile Robots
Driverless Cars
Biologically Inspired Robots
Parallel Manipulators
Machine Vision Systems

He should patent it and approach one of the biggies to productionise it. Of course the driver-less cars are not legal and the policy/regulations need to be influenced first.

Most inspiring hack/innovation I have seen in the recent times. Kudos to Dr.Roshy and his team.

I have a Nano automatic already - if Dr Roshy John could get that modularized self driving robot made at an affordable price and sold on the TBHP store that would be just great. clap:

Great work!

Almost all cars being developed as driverless cars are Automatics but Dr. Roshy did it by converting manual to an automatic and then automate it. Kudos.
Also surprised to see that we take out the whole setup and make it our very own manually driven car.

It will be interesting to see in whose hand this technology will land finally?
In the hands of any Indian OEM or any a European / American OEM who can pay hefty amount.

I wish he takes the 'Startup India' way and provide this whole setup as an aftermarket stuff. So that we can drive in with any car or the car we love and get it converted.

Obviously it will need lot of Motor Vehicle Act amendments in order to allow such cars on our roads.

Happy to see an Indian brother trying it here in India. But he approach seems very classical. I liked George Hotz's approach more. His car is performing, looks beautiful, low on cost and time. I wish this project has something similar. Faster results and beautiful cars. Not the Google type cars with huge and ugly cameras mounted all over the car.