Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 02:06   #46
BHPian

It is a grown up man's refined ride for sure. Probably not the one for performance enthusiasts. Let's hope that Skoda lives up to it's promise by improving the service and dealer network.
Awesome car and great photos.
Old 24th February 2016, 02:39   #47
BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh

From the brochure it seems that TSI MT will have 320 Nm torque from 1450-3900 rpm whereas TSI AT will have 250 Nm torque from 1250-5000 rpm. I havent seen the torque-rpm curve but just hope that MT doesnt suffer from lag at bottom end before 1450 rpm. If it did, it would be pretty painful to drive it around in bumper-to-bumper city traffic.
pratika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 04:14   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
just hope that MT doesnt suffer from lag at bottom end before 1450 rpm. If it did, it would be pretty painful to drive it around in bumper-to-bumper city traffic.
You must be kidding me here.

It would idle @ 700-800, with the torque kicking in about 650 (1450-800) odd RPM, what else are you looking at ?

Bumper 2 Bumper, 1st, 2nd, that's where the Tacho flies, 650 huh, I cannot even call it a tap of the right foot.

Man, either you drive a Ultimate Aero or a Tractor (that gives it heart out at 1000 RPM).

How would you imagine someone driving a Swift, Jazz,i20.......

This car (1.8 MT) has everything (Price and Specs) to kill the Jetta and Octavia TSi.

Wait for another 3-4 years, this'll be a hot seller in the used car market. I'll be poking around for sure.

Last edited by Torquedo : 24th February 2016 at 04:22.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 04:56   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

It would idle @ 700-800, with the torque kicking in about 650 (1450-800) odd RPM, what else are you looking at ?

Bumper 2 Bumper, 1st, 2nd, that's where the Tacho flies, 650 huh, I cannot even call it a tap of the right foot.

Man, either you drive a Ultimate Aero or a Tractor (that gives it heart out at 1000 RPM).

How would you imagine someone driving a Swift, Jazz,i20.......

This car (1.8 MT) has everything (Price and Specs) to kill the Jetta and Octavia TSi.

Wait for another 3-4 years, this'll be a hot seller in the used car market. I'll be poking around for sure.
I drive 2nd gen superb MT. Its max torque kicks in at 1500 rpm. And sometimes in bumper-to-bumper traffic I feel its a pain driving that car around. If I release the clutch without throttle, I have to be very careful to not stall it. The engine needs to be revved a bit to get the car to lug. As opposed to this, in my Baleno I can release the clutch without a tap on right foot. And it would be unlikely the car would stall. This I would attribute to difference in torque at very low rpms. I have also driven the diesel Toyota Liva. Just release the clutch without throttle and the car moves ahead happily.

Just for the record I think this car has a lot going for it in terms of space/features/torque for MT. This is a highway car. Once the turbo spools there is no stopping it. For the city, I wont be convinced about its performance till I drive it.

Last edited by pratika : 24th February 2016 at 05:09.
pratika is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 08:24   #50
BHPian

Awesome report S2!!.
1.8 TSI petrol motor producing 320NM torque with manual transmission is just incredible. Torque is almost matching with the 2.0 TDI diesel counterpart and at first I thought it is a typo but soon recovered by going through the specs sheet mentioned in the Rajeev`s post. I think 1.8TSI with manual transmission will be the deadly combination which enthusiasts like us will be interested to put our money on.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 08:43   #51
BHPian

Excellent pricing by Skoda. Manufacturers have started to price products competitively. We've seen that with Figo, Endeavour, Baleno and now with Superb. Product is loaded to the brim. My dad owns the previous generation Superb 1.8 TSi (thanks to dkaile ownership review to help us choose Superb then) and must say the package offered is 'simply superb', as the tag line says. The car has aged really well and still feels new. The new generation seems to be even better. Wish even the automatic had 320nm of torque with a better gear box. As of now I've not faced issues with the service centre, Hope Skoda improves its dealership and service centre experience as many have faced issues. But, the product may end up facing competiton with the upcoming Passat. My brother-in-law was told by the VW dealer its expected in two months. A good competition makes it good for the customers. Octavia and Jetta, now look over priced.
Dani7766 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 08:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pricing! The car looks great inside out, and is well appointed. I especially love the request sensors, engine start stop and the notchback which Skoda does so well. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, all black interiors would have made it irresistible.

The face-lifted Superb was well received in the market, but having the brilliant all new Octavia in the same showroom was not doing it any good and numbers came down. This one should easily be able to maintain 200+ units each month I guess. And it will take people away from the Octavia too. Skoda wouldn't complain I guess.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 08:53   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
This reminds me of one of your previous quotes, GTO (regarding 2008 City and Civic). But turned on its head in this case- "Superb offers 50% more car than Octavia (and its comparables) at just 25% of extra cost."
Totally. Amazingly VFM pricing. Skoda must be hoping that a tempting price will get people to look over the lousy after-sales.

Quote:
It's a no-brainer really.
Not for those who love to drive. All other things being the same, the Superb with its longer wheelbase won't be as much fun to drive as an Octavia. Of course, haven't driven the Superb so can't comment yet. Just assuming that the suspension tuning is on the same lines.

It's a similar case with the German luxo-barges. The A6 / 5 / E-Class are more fun to drive than the A8 / 7 / S-Class. In turn, the A4 / 3 / C-Class are more chuckable than the 50 lakh sedans, but they aren't available with 6-cylinder engines in India (A4 was, now discontinued).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 08:55   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The car seems fantastic. The only grudge I have is that Skoda should have looked to replace the problematic DQ200 DSG with the DQ250 and allowed the entire 320 NM of torque to be unleashed. Certainly seems to offer far more than a E200 at half the price.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 09:38   #55

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2016 at 10:33.
Arun_t is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th February 2016, 09:53   #56

This is definitely the same engine as POLO GTI which comes with 250 nm (7DSG) or 320 nm (6 manual) in other markets. Superb is a great product.

What I cant digest is the fact that VW are going to launch the POLO GTI in almost same price bracket as SUPERB!! With same engine, more features and much more bragging rights Superb should be clear winner for someone who has 20+ Lacs.
$t@llion kh@n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 10:14   #57
BHPian

As always, the Superb turns out to be well, superb.

Makes more sense than the Audi A3 or the Jetta now. The only fly in the oilment is the poor resale values that Skodas command nowadays.

Too bad Kochi has no Skoda dealership at present.
Old 24th February 2016, 10:29   #58
Team-BHP Support

/OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Too bad Kochi has no Skoda dealership at present.
A new showroom would shortly be up. DBHPian deetjohn shared this update on the other thread.

3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-img_20160220_111859061.jpg

Must be the same folks behind the Isuzu showroom at Vytilla junction.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 10:39   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The only grudge I have is that Skoda should have looked to replace the problematic DQ200 DSG with the DQ250
Someone saw our report and whatsapped me early morning asking for a recommendation. Told him to pick the diesel because its the more robust choice (including the transmission).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
He's not kidding. Don't go by paper specs.

The VAG 1.8 TSI MT is very easy to stall when getting off the line. You can't be careless with leaving the clutch pedal / giving it accelerator input. Definitely takes some time to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
People swear "by" the Camry, and swear "at" Skoda.
Nothing like a morning laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
You got to love the umbrellas. I had seen a British YouTube video a couple years ago where they had mentioned "the famous Skoda umbrellas neatly tucked in". I wondered given our monsoons, why did we get the step motherly treatment?
The 2nd-gen Superb also had an umbrella.

GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 10:43   #60

I was at Autobahn yesterday for a scheduled appointment for my Superb and casually asked the SAs and other staff about the price of the new Superb. These guys told me that the pricing is expected to double up and be in the range of 35-40 lacs ex showroom in India. I had thought that with Skoda also going the German trio way of inflating the prices like this would kill the Superb. Only some one who is not attracted by the premium attached to Merc/ BMW would buy this for the greater legroom over A4/ 3/ C.

But with this pricing, they have really killed it just like Ford did with their Endeavour. I expect a fair amount of Camry buyers to consider this. The discount this carries over the regular petrol Camry is a fair risk to take for Skoda After Sales & Service.

Also maybe off topic, but think that VW should rethink their strategy of VW being the premium brand and Skoda being the budget brand in India. VW doesnt have many hallowed products (hot hatches like Europe) here in India. Also Skoda manages to sell Superbs and Octavias better than Jettas and Passats while VW manages the exact opposite by selling more Polos and Ventos. Just my thoughts, although this might not be achievable given the huge amount of branding and marketing effort required for it and might lead to dissonance in the global and Indian positioning.
AR123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed