Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 11:05   #61
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Website updated with all details including price. Surprised to note that the ex showroom Bangalore is 80-90K higher than Mumbai. Understand the OTR differences due to the tax rates, What makes the Ex-Showroom difference so high?

There is an extra 2% VAT charge for KA compared to MH. Also for MH they have Octroi in certain areas, which I don't think is included in the pricing shared earlier.
Old 24th February 2016, 11:13   #62
BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh

For people who do not care about badge and still want the luxurious feel this car is perfect. It gives you Audi A8 kind of luxury at less than half the price. Even an A6 does not give the leg room for the Seth that the Superb provides. If I were to need a car in this segment I would surely consider the Superb. Even if one keeps say 5 lacs aside for untoward expenses like DSG or other Electrical repairs, still this car makes sense.

As time goes the aftermarket is now getting the required expertise to maintain and service complicated European cars. This is true atleast in Mumbai. The smart people in Opera house area can just about arrange any spare for you. In todays connected world its possible to arrange a part from abroad within weeks. We have examples of people in our forums doing so already.
manishkapadia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 11:18   #63
A M
BHPian

The umbrella post reminded me of Yeti. He had posted about it in his buying experience of the Superb.

Its totally off the topic but could not resist posting this. Though I never met him but really miss his writing.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 11:42   #64
Team-BHP Support

Wow that really is some great pricing by Skoda. The style variant is very well loaded and doesn't miss out on any essential features.

After seeing the prices and the features the thought did cross my mind about buying this. But then my next thought was about my recent experience with Skoda service and I forgot about the first thought.

Get your service sorted out Skoda!
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 11:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

I struggle to understand why VAG is still putting up with the 250NM torque restriction for the DSG in petrol.
If i remember correctly, the DSG used in the diesel models don't have this restriction.
So, why this restriction only for the petrol DSG unit?
Of course, i can understand that there would be vast architectural difference between the two gearboxes.
But my point is that why develop such a complicated gearbox, with max torque handling capability of 'just' 250NM? Even the verna diesel has more torque that this lowly limit.
It seems to me that they designed this gearbox keeping in mind 'small' cars with sane power/torque, but now they are plonking this into their bigger cars too by restricting their engines.
Old 24th February 2016, 15:58   #66
BHPian

Was just going through the feature list put up on skoda website, it seems the style plus is quite well loaded. Has everything from sunroof, xenons, smart link, airbags, reverse camera etc.
The only difference in the L&K is better leather, piano black interiors, better colour on the touchscreen and an upgraded sound system. Doubt many people well shell out the extra 3.5 lacs for just that much.
Old 24th February 2016, 16:49   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

2 unrelated points:

1. Park Assist: Wonder why they dropped the Park Assist feature from even the L&K. Would have been very simple to retain and would have been the ultimate party trick.

2. Mileage(!): The 1.8 TSI manual will probably return a significantly poorer mileage than the AT especially if flogged. Can current/past Laura TSI manual owners give some ideas? For example, with my new Octavia TSI AT (exact same engine/tune as Superb), I am getting overall 10 km/lt in atrocious BLR office commute with 100% AC on. This includes some spirited driving too. A leisurely Sunday or off-peak drive (mixed city-highway) returns 14 km/lt.

What would a comparable manual (Laura) return?

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th February 2016 at 16:51. Reason: Clarity
Old 24th February 2016, 17:09   #68
BHPian

Just finished my TD on an L&K 1.8TSI. Great looker inside and out and nice driving dynamics. Did not feel the enormous size of the car while driving. Very tempted to buy one! On an aside was informed by Skoda Auotbahn that the price of the car announced yesterday for Mumbai was wrong (it was actually the price for ex Thane where octroi is not applicable) Amazing that an error like that can take place when the key purpose of the day was to announce the price!

Ex Mumbai prices as per Autobahn Mumbai
23.83 1.8 tsi manual
25.13 1.8 tsi at
28.25 1.8 tsi LK
27.73 2.0 tdi style
30.85 2.0 tdi LK
3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456314241.187638.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th February 2016 at 17:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
ABbaby is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 18:15   #69
BHPian

Price list received from JMD Skoda in Vashi enclosed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ENDUSER PRICELIST OF NEW SUPERB B8 W.E.F 23.02.2016.pdf (69.1 KB, 786 views)
manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 02:01   #70
BHPian

Excellent coverage S2! Probably just have to add the driving review and you have an official review here.

Man I'm in love with this one! It's so well kitted out even in the Style variant that it makes me want to break the bank and buy this right away. I am a big fan of automatics but I'd gladly take the TSI MT here purely for that additional torque! For those complaining that the Octavia doesn't have the 1.8 TSI MT here's something to consider.

I have a strong feeling the pricing was probably revised post the endeavour launch as there is a likelihood of cross shopping between 2 very desirable products within the market at the moment!

Skoda, it's a pity your Service quality isn't as pretty as the car and here's where you should really focus on improving. Provide some all-in maintenance plans for customers! Default extended warranty especially for the troublesome gearbox should be provided to all buyers.

I hope Skoda sees some good volumes on this one and VW can price the Passat taking a leaf out of Skoda's book especially on the pricing.
miharbe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 07:58   #71
BHPian

Really beautiful car. Spent almost an hour drooling over the photos and poring over the specs and report. Then remembered all the Skoda horror stories. Sighed. Closed the browser. Will wait for ownership reports on T-BHP before I consider this.
Pacifica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:19   #72
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic pricing!! Will give Honda something to think about as well when it launches the all new Accord.

Does anyone know if the rear seat reclines like the Camry? Is the rear seat of the all new Superb more comfortable than the Camry. I've sat in the old Superb and the new Camry and there's a massive difference in the rear seat comfort of Camry over Superb. Camry totally owns it in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Wow that really is some great pricing by Skoda. The style variant is very well loaded and doesn't miss out on any essential features.

After seeing the prices and the features the thought did cross my mind about buying this. But then my next thought was about my recent experience with Skoda service and I forgot about the first thought.

Get your service sorted out Skoda!
Akshay, if it weren't for the VAG reliability and service apathy factor, this is hands down the car I would have bought instead of the GT. It ticks every requirement of mine to the tee. I had no doubt even pre-launch of that and the pricing just nails it. It is only my lack of confidence in VAG that pushed me to the Beemer without even bothering to wait for the launch.

The fact that a not so old Superb randomly caught fire and got totalled the other day near our building doesn't help that confidence in any way either.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th February 2016 at 09:25.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:58   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I struggle to understand why VAG is still putting up with the 250NM torque restriction for the DSG in petrol.
Actually,this has been shared and explained a lot of time in the forum.Each gearbox is designed to handle a maximum torque & power. To summarise briefly,
1. The DQ 250 7-speed gearbox - used in vehicles with maximum torque of 250 Nm. They have preferred it in their turbo-petrols to have better spread of power over the 7 gears and has more overdrives to maximise FE,so that the advertised ARAI figure is not scary for a mileage conscious Indian customer.
2. The DQ 200 6-speed gearbox- used in vehicles with a maximum torque rating of 350 Nm(diesels have higher torque than petrols ). The low end torque and negligible lag in their 2.0L Diesel engine compensates for one gear being less than the DQ 250 counterpart in providing better spread of power &a smoother ride.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:15   #74
BHPian

Decided to take the plunge and buy one. Confused about opting for the petrol AT or diesel AT. Wondering which has better performance considering the petrol has a limited 250nm of torque vs 350nm of diesel? I find myself behind the wheel often. Any suggestions?
ABbaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABbaby View Post
Decided to take the plunge and buy one. Confused about opting for the petrol AT or diesel AT. Wondering which has better performance considering the petrol has a limited 250nm of torque vs 350nm of diesel? I find myself behind the wheel often. Any suggestions?
I've booked one too. Leaning towards petrol. Here are the pro's and con's I considered, might be of help to you.

Petrol
1. Significantly Cheaper
2. Powerful enough - Have a 1.8TSI AT Superb right now.
3. Lower NVH
4. Scare of Delhi effect - There might be tighter norms on diesel in the future.
5. Diesel price will go up according to me over time, when it is deregulated... Diesel will become more expensive than petrol over the long term like it is in the US and Europe. With modi pushing for power reforms and Rajan keeping inflation in check, this might happen faster than you think.
6. Have a few diesel cars, so just going for petrol this time around.
7. Higher GC

Diesel

1. More reliable... This is a big deal. Just a more robust package.. this should seal it ideally.
2. Cheaper to run, but much more expensive to buy. I'm looking at a difference in EMI of 6-7k per month. I dont think I shall be saving any money if I go for diesel.
3. Higher tank to tank mileage - less visits to the gas station.
4. Wont drink oil like the 1.8 TSI does.

TBH if the diesel was priced lower I would have probably gone for it.. If you're choosing with the head, then go for petrol if you're gonna clock less than 100k KM in 5 years, go for diesel if you're gonna go for more.

If you're choosing with the heart, go for the diesel if you like torque monsters, go for the petrol if you live high revving silky smooth engines.
holysmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed