Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 11:20   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I've booked one too. Leaning towards petrol. Here are the pro's and con's I considered, might be of help
Agreed on all your comments. I too think the TSI is the way to go. The only thing that's a niggling worry is the engine that sips too much oil and the gearbox horror stories.
Old 25th February 2016, 12:44   #77
BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh

I was following the Superb threads silently, also keeping a sharp eye on India launch (since the day it was announced in Europe). Visited the showroom couple of days back and saw the car in flesh for the first time.

First thing which floored me is sheer dimensions of the car, it is indeed big baap of sedans. In a country, which is obsessed & flooded with so-called compact sedans (which are even smaller than proper hatchbacks), It is indeed BIG and refreshing to look at. Be it side profile, front or 3 quarters, it looks massive from all angles (view it with open hood).

Secondly it’s nearly impossible to find flaws in build quality/fit n finish. Be it shut lines or paint quality; everything eludes top-notch German quality. Doors shut with proper thud sound (unlike Octavia) and interior leaves you mesmerized. As far as equipment levels are concerned, it is loaded to the gills and you can't think of any equipment missing of left intentionally (err..heated seats anyone ??).

Talking about DSG, well I had most pleasant experience with all 3 DSG's in family and atleast 2 dozen more with friends and relatives, never ever faced any issues with the gearboxes atleast, So AT would be inevitable choice.

Finally about the pricing the top version Diesel AT (L&K) will be costing around 35 Lacs (OTR) with all bells & whistles that is well within the territory of A4/3 Series, after considering heavy discounts German duo is offering, however Superb is in different league altogether, More comparable to mid segment luxury sedans rather than entry level.

All said and done, spending 35 lacs on car, seems a bit far stretched atleast for now, however the fog has been cleared and my garage can clearly see the next worthy upgrade coming soon.
Turbo Head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 12:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Actually,this has been shared and explained a lot of time in the forum.Each gearbox is designed to handle a maximum torque & power. To summarise briefly,
1. The DQ 250 7-speed gearbox - used in vehicles with maximum torque of 250 Nm. They have preferred it in their turbo-petrols to have better spread of power over the 7 gears and has more overdrives to maximise FE,so that the advertised ARAI figure is not scary for a mileage conscious Indian customer.
2. The DQ 200 6-speed gearbox- used in vehicles with a maximum torque rating of 350 Nm(diesels have higher torque than petrols ). The low end torque and negligible lag in their 2.0L Diesel engine compensates for one gear being less than the DQ 250 counterpart in providing better spread of power &a smoother ride.
What i wanted to convey from my comment is that, modern turbo petrols have big torque producing potential. The 250NM limit is too low in that context.

When we are comparing Turbo Petrols with Turbo Diesels, Both have capability to produce high torque outputs.

For example the Mitsubishi EvoX FQ440 produces 558NM from just a 2 litre turbo petrol.
The more mainstream and famous Mercedes AMG 2 litre engines produce 475 NM torque from 2 litre petrol.
Let us take another sane example, the Jaguar XE with 2 litre petrol produces 340NM torque.

These figures from Turbo petrols are in no way less than their equivalent Turbo Diesels.

You can see some stats here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...latives#Torque
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 13:29   #79
BHPian

Guys any idea on delivery dates. My dealer is saying only 8 - 10 cars in March. Everything else April onwards.

Also just learned that the Business Grey colour is only available in L&K trim. That leaves only 3 colour options i.e. White, black and brown for the lower trim, which will be the highest selling one. Quite silly of skoda to offer such limited options.
Old 25th February 2016, 13:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Actually,this has been shared and explained a lot of time in the forum.Each gearbox is designed to handle a maximum torque & power. To summarise briefly,
1. The DQ 250 7-speed gearbox
2. The DQ 200 6-speed gearbox-
Actually the DQ200 is the 7 speed with 250Nm limit and DQ250 is the 6 speed with 350Nm limit. The latter is a wet clutch arrangement unlike the former which uses a dry clutch.

Power is almost always not a constraint for gearboxes. It is almost always the peak torque that is limited based on the gearbox like in the case here.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 14:29   #81
BHPian

3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh

@abishek46 - pardon for the wrong interpretation then!
Coming to the explanation you have given, the main reason for sticking to 250 Nm is keeping costs in check and parts sharing. The 7 speed is already used by the polo,vento,octavia. Tuning higher torque & then developing a new gearbox to handle the increased torque exclusively for the superb doesn't work out to be economic than plonking the already used one( localised?! someone please clarify if it's locally built/imported). That helps in pricing the entry level (petrol) competitively.
@reignofchaos - oops! Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by printh : 25th February 2016 at 14:31.
Old 25th February 2016, 14:48   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

They can simply use the 600Nm DQ500: http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/...new_dq500.html
Old 26th February 2016, 12:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABbaby View Post
Agreed on all your comments. I too think the TSI is the way to go. The only thing that's a niggling worry is the engine that sips too much oil and the gearbox horror stories.
Yeah man. I changed my booking from TSI to TDI, just cause of the horror stories.
Old 26th February 2016, 12:19   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Yeah man. I changed my booking from TSI to TDI, just cause of the horror stories.

I am sticking with the TSI. I enjoy driving and feel that the Tsi will be nicer. Going to take my chances with this one. Fingers crossed!
ABbaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 12:33   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABbaby View Post
I am sticking with the TSI. I enjoy driving and feel that the Tsi will be nicer. Going to take my chances with this one. Fingers crossed!
Good luck.
Make sure you take Skoda Shield.
My 1.8TSI drinks oil like a fish now(100k+ km), and I'm on my fourth DSG gearbox. I'm sure they've improved that reliability now, even fixed the engine drinking oil etc. But I cant get myself to take that chance again.
holysmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 12:59   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked out the Superb at the Chennai showroom today:

Lots of legroom at the back and a comfortable seating position, even more than the Merc E-Class
The materials used felt high quality but in no way premium or luxurious. In fact he interiors have a Plain Jane look, with acres of beige colored plastic everywhere
The driving position is spot on, lovely steering wheel.
Visibility is great all around
Boot is cavernous indeed.
White color does not do justice to the Superb. It understates and masks the classy design lines, I would prefer black or business grey.
Business grey comes only in L&K, which is a pity
Skoda Shield insurance is really expensive but worth it, I guess.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 17:07   #87
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

It's a similar case with the German luxo-barges. The A6 / 5 / E-Class are more fun to drive than the A8 / 7 / S-Class. In turn, the A4 / 3 / C-Class are more chuckable than the 50 lakh sedans, but they aren't available with 6-cylinder engines in India (A4 was, now discontinued).
Haha, The Current price of the C220d is 55L OTR Bangalore and the Updated 3series fully loaded Variant is about 50L odd. I believe the Segments have moved Forward.
The New Superb is worth every buck you pay for it. At 35L OTR for L&K TDI for a car with incredible Legroom and Features compared to the C,3,A4 is definitely a STEAL
nishithrao95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 17:10   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

The sales guy who i was in touch with had sent me these pictures of the Superb while he was in training @ Chakan;

3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456486709.032250.jpg
3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456486732.176501.jpg
3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456486749.100103.jpg
3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456486766.276125.jpg
3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456486785.668974.jpg

Interesting colour as i didn't see this one included during the launch.

Last edited by karan561 : 26th February 2016 at 17:19.
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 10:17   #89
BHPian

Surprisingly there is a huge price difference between cars in Maharashtra and in MP

3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456548389.180507.jpg3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456548407.532877.jpg

Can't really understand what might have increased the prices to this extent
Old 27th February 2016, 15:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

Old vs New Superb - Tech Specs

The new Superb 1.8TSI is a winner - do hope Skoda improve on their A.S.S. though. From a styling perspective, there is no contest with the outgoing model (though the facelifted version was nice by itself).

I am considering the 1.8 TSI MT (waited 3 years for Skoda to do a Octavia 1.8TSI MT...), so I thought to compare the Old and New models a bit, and probably, it throws some more light on a few aspects - the preview thread and the launch coverage are both superlative in themselves

First the tech specs - please see the table below:
3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-superb_tech.jpg

The new Superb clearly wins on all fronts.
- Engine Power
- Torque
- RPM spread for Torque and Power
- ARAI FE (1kmpl more in all variants)
- Bigger dimensions
- More cabin and luggage space
- Bigger Fuel Tank
Only downside is the turning diameter which has gone up a bit from 10.8m to 11.1. Also, the diesel model seems to have very low GC. With that GC, I guess it would scrape some monster Bangalore speed breakers given the long wheelbase.

Feature comparison in next post.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 27th February 2016 at 15:21.
lancer_rit is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks