Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 15:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Old vs New Superb - Features

In the previous post, we looked at the tech specs comparison (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3921504)

In this post, let's look at any delta in the feature sheet of the new Superb compared to the outgoing model. Only the delta is shown to reduce the long list of features that are a hallmark of the Superb. One or two items are not clear, so may need revision (I went my the official feature brochures, and already captured facts in the opening posts of this thread).

Feature Tables:
-----------------
3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-superb_features1.jpg

Clearly, the outgoing Superb had more chrome bits, and wooden trims etc that's a bit toned down in the new one. The side protector is probably a practical necessity in Indian conditions, so I would wish that one was in.
Skimping on rear door warning indicators in Style seems petty - couldn't have costed much to Skoda.

3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-superb_features2.jpg

L&K Trim trumps the old Elegance in this section. Style does miss on things like TPMS, front passenger seat 12-way electric adjust, electric lumbar support. Sunroof is bigger and the new Audio systems are more feature-rich esp allowing Carplay, Android Auto etc. Finally, the possibility of Navigation using the 6.5" screen

3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-superb_features3.jpg

L&K allows the 3-zone climatronic (like in the Camry/Hybrid), and also has cooled front seats. Skoda doesn't claim the leather seats on the new Superb as "Nappa" - so I guess its not. Twindoor hatch is gone - i kind of liked that - esp since office/hotel security needs to check your boot daily these days.

3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh-superb_features4.jpg

The boot is humongous and the new Superb, in general, has better storage possibilities and more thoughtful things like tablet holder, card holder etc in its fold. 2 umbrellas too :-)

Overall, Style is very well equipped, and the only one available in MT. My vote goes to the 1.8TSI MT Style - its VFM and more robust/reliable/fun than the other variants. The L&K does pack even more, but pricing is steep due to also the DSG. They should have added the side sensors on the Superb though (and possibly the 'auto Park' gimmick)

There are no servicing related stuff like brake pad replacement indicators etc ala the BMW cars, but then its not that big a deal in my opinion.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 27th February 2016 at 16:05.
lancer_rit is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 16:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen Skoda Superb launched in India at Rs. 22.68 lakh

I like the new Superb. I think it looks very elegant on the outside. It's big on space as before and is loaded with all kinds of features. The pricing is good too. The only other thing I would've preferred is for it to look a bit more different from the Octavia on the inside.
Old 27th February 2016, 18:56   #93

I saw the L&K TSI AT this morning, the test drive vehicle hasn't arrived here apparently (!). Couple of observations:
1. Presence and look - very imposing. Loved how this is a full-size sedan from all aspects, reassuringly so.
2. Ground clearance - the 165mm GC in the petrol car is perceptible. I am worried about the 149mm GC in diesel, not sure why the difference exists in the first place.
3. Tyres - Hankook.
4. 'Panoramic' sunroof - is anything but panoramic. The glass cover from outside looks to be a bit bigger than the usual sun roofs, but when you open it, it is no bigger than a conventional sun roof like my ol' 3 series.
5. Removable parcel trays - I have been torn between the BMW GT and this one, so I removed the trays to see how the space at the back feels vis a vis the GT. The Superb is far more spacious, hands down. And with the parcel trays off it looks coupe-ish from the inside. If only it had those frameless windows too!
6. Leather seats - the perforated leather looks nice, but the earlier Nappa leather was better.
7. Delivery period - 2 - 3 months.
Now for the test drive!
atthewheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 19:23   #94
Senior - BHPian

What a brilliant car and a very vfm pricing by Skoda India, it is time they pull their socks up and improve the customer service. Superb is so well loaded and it sits at a price point which is way lower than the Camry, would be interesting to see the fight between Toyota/Skoda in this segment, that is if Skoda can fulfill demand and do not face production issues like they did when they launched Octavia.

I wonder why but paint quality on VAG cars is simply superb, be it Skoda or be it Audi. The deep lustre and shine is not there in other cars, not even BMW and Mercedes. I own a black 3 series but make a black A4 stand next to it and VAG's paint quality stands out.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 19:27   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO, are going to get a full blown TBHP Official Review? Or is this too low volume to spend the time?
Old 27th February 2016, 19:35   #96
Senior - BHPian

Used to be fascinated by the Twindoor. Pity it has been removed.
Wonder how much it cost. Also always wondered whether it could be repaired successfully in case of a rear shunt.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 01:20   #97
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Not for those who love to drive. All other things being the same, the Superb with its longer wheelbase won't be as much fun to drive as an Octavia. Of course, haven't driven the Superb so can't comment yet. Just assuming that the suspension tuning is on the same lines.
Yes the longer wheelbase will come in the way of handling. But current gen Octavia is not offered with a manual, the DSG also limiting any performance mods on the engine side.

The MT Style of Superb I believe is as loaded with features as the top end Octavia. You get it in 180PS, 320NM tune and simple Stage 1 remap should be take it safely to 210+ PS and 370+ Nm easily. Throw in a set of better dampers if needed and the car might just turn out to be cracking to drive. So unless the Octavia vRS is launched or it comes with an MT, Superb MT could still be an enthusiasts's choice.

- Avinash
Old 28th February 2016, 09:50   #98
BANNED

Re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post

But current gen Octavia is not offered with a manual..
Current gen Octavia has the manual option in the 2.0 TDI variant. The seat of the pants feel of this tells you that the acceleration is much better than the 1.8Tsi (probably because it has about 33% more torque) although numbers in magazines indicate otherwise.
Old 28th February 2016, 10:43   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Current gen Octavia has the manual option in the 2.0 TDI variant. The seat of the pants feel of this tells you that the acceleration is much better than the 1.8Tsi (probably because it has about 33% more torque) although numbers in magazines indicate otherwise.
Yeah but the biggest grouse with the Octy TDI is that rear suspension. The multi link in the 1.8 TSI Ocyt is superior for enthusiastic driving and is far more quieter at the back.
Old 28th February 2016, 11:25   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yeah but the biggest grouse with the Octy TDI is that rear suspension. The multi link in the 1.8 TSI Ocyt is superior for enthusiastic driving and is far more quieter at the back.
True, suited for enthusiastic driving, but at high speeds needs continuous correction as it tends to jump around a bit which is not a bad thing if one can do it right. The 2.0 TDI on the other has better high speed straight line stability.
Old 28th February 2016, 20:30   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It may feel so, but the TSI will outrun it all the time. It has torque from much lower down, no turbo lag at all. Its also lighter, and stability is way better.
The Diesel is too shifty, does not inspire confidence when cornering at high speed - and I have driven both.
In the TSI, you reach 100 before you notice it :-) The Diesel is unrefined and sounds gruff in comparison.

In the Superb, the 1.8TSI is upto 320NM. There is no doubt it will trump the 2.0TDI.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 28th February 2016 at 20:32.
Old 28th February 2016, 22:54   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
It may feel so, but the TSI will outrun it all the time. It has torque from much lower down, no turbo lag at all. Its also lighter, and stability is way better.
The Diesel is too shifty, does not inspire confidence when cornering at high speed - and I have driven both.
In the TSI, you reach 100 before you notice it :-) The Diesel is unrefined and sounds gruff in comparison.

In the Superb, the 1.8TSI is upto 320NM. There is no doubt it will trump the 2.0TDI.
Just a point to note. The Superb TSI DSG vs the Octavia TSI DSG will be a close contest. The reason is due to the extra 165 kilos weight that the Superb has to deal with vs the Octavia.

The Superb manual will definitely be quicker since the weight is lesser than the AT but still more than the Octavia by 120 kilos. Plus the 320nm torque vs the 250Nm (provided it can put down this torque without losing traction or electronics kicking in)

When it comes to diesel, the Superb has a higher tune so the additional weight is offset. However the Octavia 2.0 TDI manual is no slouch. The reason is that the 2.0 TDI MT is lighter than even the 1.8 TSI Octavia plus it has the 320Nm torque.

Note: Above is based on specs alone as I am yet to drive the new Superb. I have however have driven all variants of the Octavia.

My guess on how they fair will in order will be:

1. Octavia 1.8 TSI AT
2. Superb TSI MT*
3. Superb 1.8 TSI AT
4. Superb 2.0 TDI DSG
5. Octavia 2.0 TDI MT
6. Octavia 2.0 TDI AT

* The reason I have the Superb in 2nd vs the Octavia is because the Superb MT though has more torque is dependent heavily on the driver. To get a quick launch and perfect shifts need much more effort from the driver vs the DSG which will deliver same performance consistently.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 23:51   #103

I was at the showroom today and one of the prospective customers there was complaining about the outgoing Superb with respect to:
1. weak AC - he was asking if the compressor is stronger this time and the sales guy had no idea
2. leaking sunroof

Can existing/past owners of the outgoing Superb please comment on the above? Are these common issues, or did the gentleman in question end up with a rare lemon?
Old 29th February 2016, 01:38   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I was referring only to the Octavia 1.8 TSI in my previous post (with ref to new Superb 1.8 TSI MT). Owning the manual 1.8 TSI in Laura, and comparing its performance to erstwhile Laura DSG or Jetta's 140PS MT, I think the 1.8TSI Laura is definitely faster (and thus was expecting a similar case with current Octavia also). Sure the 1.8TSI lacks the shove of torque like the diesel and doesn't push you back into the seats while accelerating, but then the torque wave just stays on a lot longer, engine rev's up freer and the car ends up being faster. Don't know whether the lighter current gen Octavia 2.0TDI trumps its 1.8TSI sibling, but the older ones definitely didn't.

Quote:
The Superb manual will definitely be quicker since the weight is lesser than the AT but still more than the Octavia by 120 kilos. Plus the 320nm torque vs the 250Nm (provided it can put down this torque without losing traction or electronics kicking in)
If diesels are able to put down that torque, surely the petrols should also be able to right? But then again, more than 0-100kmph, that extra +70Nm should improve in gear accelerations further.
Quote:
The reason is that the 2.0 TDI MT is lighter than even the 1.8 TSI Octavia plus it has the 320Nm torque.
Is the multilink rear setup and DSG adding to the weight of Octavia 1.8TSI over the 2.0 TDI MT?

Quote:
My guess on how they fair will in order will be:

1. Octavia 1.8 TSI AT
2. Superb TSI MT*
3. Superb 1.8 TSI AT
4. Superb 2.0 TDI DSG
5. Octavia 2.0 TDI MT
6. Octavia 2.0 TDI AT

* The reason I have the Superb in 2nd vs the Octavia is because the Superb MT though has more torque is dependent heavily on the driver. To get a quick launch and perfect shifts need much more effort from the driver vs the DSG which will deliver same performance consistently.
That would be my expectation too. Totally agree about the DSGs, can't match their shifting. But with the Superb TSI MT, your are free to go for your Stage 1 and Stage 2 remaps without any worry, can't with 7-speed DSGs.
Old 29th February 2016, 11:39   #105
BANNED

A few interesting facts:

1. The 2016 Superb 1.8 TSI manual is heavier than the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG by 114 kgs.

2. The 0-100 time of the old superb (39kgs heavier than the new one) with the manual 1.8 TSI is 8.56 seconds

3. The 0-100 time of the 2016 Superb with the 1.4TSI Manual is 8.3 seconds.

4. The 0-100 time of the new Octavia 1.8 DSG is 8.01 secs.

5. The 2016 superb with 1.8 TSI manual with additional 70Nm torque and weighing 39 kgs less than the old Superb should be faster to 100 by more than 0.5 seconds than the old Superb and 0.3 seconds faster than the 1.4 TSI engine in the 2016 Superb which should make it faster than the Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st March 2016 at 14:02. Reason: Corrected 7Nm to 70Nm. Thanks.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks