Old 4th April 2016, 17:14   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Nuvosport is the updated Quanto

Autocar test drive video

Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 17:58   #122
BHPian

4-5 years ago Mahindra overtook Tata as India's largest passenger vehicle firm with products which seemed to suit the Indian palate. I have a feeling, there is going to be another 180 degree turn soon. Every few months Mahindra seems to be coming out with a new product which is an eyesore and just a rehashed version of something already in their stable. With the Zica/Tiago, Zest, Hexa and Nexon - all of a sudden Tata seems to be at least a generation ahead with their design language and fit and finish. Mahindra did make the leap from being a workhorse with its Scorpio to being a desirable manufacturer with the XUV 500. I doubt it will maintain those credentials.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 18:07   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
4-5 years ago Mahindra overtook Tata as India's largest passenger vehicle firm with products which seemed to suit the Indian palate.
Agree that XUV was one such vehicle, but it just added 3-4K numbers per month.

But more than Mahindra's new products, it was Tata's decline that helped Mahindra to overtake them. After the Nano debacle, the sales of most other Tata cars slumped (caused by the "cheap car manufacturer" image, IMO).
Old 4th April 2016, 18:12   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalspook View Post

Micro-Hybrid Technology and ECO/POWER Mode not offered in the N6/N8 AMTs. I couldn't understand the logic behind the omission?!
No clutch in AMT; thus no Start/Stop. ECO/Power mode is present!
Quote:
Auto-folding mirrors not offered on any variant. A daft move for a machine breaking into the sporty SUV segment. This was a must have!
Must have? SUV's side view mirrors are generally so high that they don't require folding (unless you encounter very tight situation with another SUV)

Quote:
Cruise controls mounted directly on the wheel. IMO, these should be on side stalks. Expect unwanted engaging.
Not true. Cruise does not enagage by a single click! You need to hold the +/- button for 2 sec to enable

Quote:
Door sensors not present. For the N8 @ 912,000, this should have just been there.
What are Door sensors? If you mean to alert the driver of open door while in motion then it is there and called "Door Ajar Warning"
Quote:
Just 2 airbags, even in top of the line variants.
This is driven by market needs.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 20:51   #125
BHPian

Even if they made the exterior a little better compared to the older model, the interior remains an eyesore.

I mean these are people who are here to make money. Do they really expect to make money selling this?
Old 4th April 2016, 21:49   #126
PCS
BHPian

Caught !
Look at auto car video of nuvosport.... Renuka drives the car in mahindra test track

Video at 7.33 min. , there is a vitara brezza dual tone yellow white car in background ! Did mahindra benchmarked Brezza ?

Last edited by PCS : 4th April 2016 at 21:50. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 4th April 2016, 22:02   #127
BHPian

After seeing the price list, this seems like another Dead-on-Arrival product from Mahindra.

Though it is more or less a face-lifted Quanto, the reason they renamed it as Nuvosport is probably because they wanted to market it as a new product.

In that case, the least they could have done was to remove all unique visual traits of Quanto, especially the ugly ones, like the disproportionate height,the weird looking rear-end, the same old interiors etc.

I don't see any reason why anyone would choose this over an Ecosport or a Brezza.
Pricing was the last ray of hope for this poor thing and I feel that Mahindra has somehow failed at it again!

Please Mahindra, stop flogging these dead horses. Just allow Quanto and Verito Vibe to rest in peace now.
Don't waste your precious time and resources on these ugly dead products anymore.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 22:07   #128
BHPian

Why Mahindra is so obsessed with chop off job?
They are not chopping off the tail but instead chopping of their nose and loosing credibility.
But let's see if this grows up on you like other Mahindras managed.

I do agree i liked NS more than TUV
Old 4th April 2016, 22:30   #129
Senior - BHPian

The car is priced a little higher for what it offers and what the competition is offering. Will have to see the sales charts.
Some one said this product's lifecycle is mere 24-36 months. Even Mahindra knows this car wont take them very far, so lets price it higher and make more money ?

Last edited by NiInJa : 4th April 2016 at 22:46.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 09:27   #130
BHPian

Just noticed one point in feature-list.
Only N8 Variant comes with DRLs.
So N4 and N6 variants get what in the place of those eyelid type DRLs above headlamps?

Can't imagine how ugly the NS would look without those DRLs and side claddings.
Old 5th April 2016, 11:17   #131
BHPian

I simply dont understand the point of launching this car. The TUV is tougher, can take more abuse and as far as I know also has more ground clearance than the Nuvosport. Also the Nuvosport is essentially nothing but a Quanto 2.0. M&M have somehow managed to destroy the car on the VFM perspective too by pricing it out of the park. The Ecosport and Brezza look so much more VFM now. I simply simply dont understand what M&M is upto.
Old 5th April 2016, 11:22   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
No clutch in AMT; thus no Start/Stop. ECO/Power mode is present!
Micro-hybrid tech doesn't necessarily require a clutch to function. Take for example the BMW 1-series, or the Mercedes Benz GLA-Class. They're both AMTs, and both come equipped with the micro-hybrid feature, aka, Start/Stop as standard equipment.

As for the ECO/Power mode being absent in the N8 AMT, I said so since the Technology section under Compare Variants in the official website mentions it as such.

Quote:
Must have? SUV's side view mirrors are generally so high that they don't require folding (unless you encounter very tight situation with another SUV)
IMO, auto-folding mirrors aren't/shouldn't be dictated by the height of a car. If that were the case, none of the SUVs would have had it. It is more of a must-have convenience feature, considering the teeny-tiny city roads we drive on, and the constantly tightening parking spaces in apartment buildings, and offices.

Quote:
Not true. Cruise does not enagage by a single click! You need to hold the +/- button for 2 sec to enable
OK. Since I've always used stalk-type cruise controls, I was unaware of the engaging pattern here. Still, it makes sense to push them back, since these aren't going to be used on an everyday basis (city driving). IMO, only the most used/utilitarian controls should be placed on the wheel, for instance, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Call answer/reject, MID nav, and the likes.

Quote:
What are Door sensors? If you mean to alert the driver of open door while in motion then it is there and called "Door Ajar Warning"
I meant door request sensors.

Quote:
This is driven by market needs.
It would've been nice if M&M put curtain/SABs in the top of the line AMTs!

Last edited by Eddy : 14th April 2016 at 11:59. Reason: Extra smiley
metalspook is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 11:24   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
4-5 years ago Mahindra overtook Tata as India's largest passenger vehicle firm with products which seemed to suit the Indian palate. I have a feeling, there is going to be another 180 degree turn soon. Every few months Mahindra seems to be coming out with a new product which is an eyesore and just a rehashed version of something already in their stable. With the Zica/Tiago, Zest, Hexa and Nexon - all of a sudden Tata seems to be at least a generation ahead with their design language and fit and finish. Mahindra did make the leap from being a workhorse with its Scorpio to being a desirable manufacturer with the XUV 500. I doubt it will maintain those credentials.
Agree TML is improving, but by no means will M&M give up so easily.

The time that you talk of, TML was fighting in almost all the segments - hatch, compact sedan, SUV, MUV etc. M&M has atleast been prudent enough to play/build on their strength - UVs. After the Verito/Vibe they have rightly focused only on the UV space and have been successful so far. Even when they entered the hatch market, they tried to position it as a 'mini'SUV. Sales figures of the next few months will make it clear if it worked or not.

As for rehashed products - this is the only one among the recent M&M launches. KUV, TUV are completely new products.

Nobody can predict the future, but I still feel, M&M would have to do really terrible things to end up in a position with sub 10k sales/month.
Old 5th April 2016, 11:34   #134
BHPian

There is no point placing NuvoSport so close to TUV (i.e. only 18 to 30K more). May be MnM is planning a price cut for TUV, as sales which started at 4500 units per month has dropped to 2600 only. They may take a clue from EcoSport price slash.
ezee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 14:21   #135
BHPian

OMG... Why will anyone design just a disaster. Front looks real ugly. Looks as if Scorpio and Quanto mated to produce this horrendous off-spring. Did not liked it a bit. Sorry Mahindra, you disappointed this time !

Most Viewed