Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 00:40   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Nuvosport is the updated Quanto

The new design looks like a decent attempt in my opinion considering how the pre facelift version was designed. However, I am not sure what different they have to offer with Nuvosport diesel when compared to TUV3OO?
Old 4th March 2016, 00:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Who are the target customers of Nuvosport and why should they be choosing it over TUV3OO is a mystery to me that too after the launch of KUV.
I have to check the price ranges of all three to get a clear idea as to whether MnM is doing a Maruti by offering choices within 50K of each model so that the customer remains in the showroom.
Old 4th March 2016, 04:40   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a new Mahindra and how can we not have the term, "Looks are subjective"?

KUV, TUV, NOVOSPORT can be easily passed of as cheap designs of Rs.50 Chinese plastic toy cars. I know there is market for such quirky designs or rather the market doesn't actually bother about the looks at all.

BUT isn't there anyone who feels that Mahindra can do so much better after the XUV? The facelifted XUV looks so much mature and butch. That's the kind of design they should pursue and help them move upmarket or even global. These quirky cars might get them a market in rural India but the brand as such is an object of ridicule from looks perspective.

When TATA is going to unwrap a car, I personally anticipate how good it's going to look and when Mahindra is going to unwrap a car I dread how awful it's going to look.

P.S: Yes, come April and we'll see how Mahindra did well and TATA didn't do well in spite of all the talk on looks
kiku007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 08:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
BUT isn't there anyone who feels that Mahindra can do so much better after the XUV? The facelifted XUV looks so much mature and butch.

When TATA is going to unwrap a car, I personally anticipate how good it's going to look and when Mahindra is going to unwrap a car I dread how awful it's going to look.
Well said! I'm glad there's someone sharing my thoughts as well. But you know what, we're a minority going by how the general public is receptive of these flashy designs from Mahindra.

The XUV5OO facelift is Mahindra's best right now while the TUV3OO is decent too, the bulky front being its only awkward angle. The Quanto, Verito Vibe and the KUV 1OO are in-your-face designs that don't appeal to my eyes at all. Having said that, the Nuvosport's front and rear does look okay but the only grouse is its awry proportions.
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 09:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
It's a new Mahindra and how can we not have the term, "Looks are subjective"?

KUV, TUV, NOVOSPORT can be easily passed of as cheap designs of Rs.50 Chinese plastic toy cars. I know there is market for such quirky designs or rather the market doesn't actually bother about the looks at all.

BUT isn't there anyone who feels that Mahindra can do so much better after the XUV? The facelifted XUV looks so much mature and butch. That's the kind of design they should pursue and help them move upmarket or even global. These quirky cars might get them a market in rural India but the brand as such is an object of ridicule from looks perspective.

P.S: Yes, come April and we'll see how Mahindra did well and TATA didn't do well in spite of all the talk on looks
Completely agree! The XUV is the best designed of the lot - easily looks like a global car. The KUV also looks good in person. The TUV look ok but seems strangely cut-off at angles. The Quanto was the ugly duckling and maybe they should have gone for an all new body instead of this facelift.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 11:25   #36
BHPian

Absolutely true the expectations are coming down after each and every launch. I really had great expectations when scoop images of the S101 (KUV100) came out on media. Posting the one which came on Autocar
Mahindra Nuvosport is the updated Quanto-mahindras101ecosport.jpg

And later by SRK design in Indian Autos Blog.

Mahindra Nuvosport is the updated Quanto-1downloads68660x330.jpg

But when the baby came out, it ended up being a cosmetically overdone showpiece. Nothing close to the concepts in terms of its clean looks.
I still like SRKs attempt to be far better than the one on road.

Almost the same story with TUV300 and not commenting on Quanto/Cresto/Canto/now NUVOSPORT Can include the Veritos too here.

On the other hand, TATA decided to change the story there, TIAGO, KITE 5 and HEXA are for better looking than the ones in Mahindras Stable. Probably XUV is the last good looking car that came out of M&M factory. We are also expecting a 7 seater version of KUV (extended version). The designers need to stop doing their last minute work (whatever it is)
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 11:26   #37

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2016 at 20:39.
vprajagopal is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2016, 11:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Who are the target customers of Nuvosport and why should they be choosing it over TUV3OO is a mystery to me that too after the launch of KUV.
I have to check the price ranges of all three to get a clear idea as to whether MnM is doing a Maruti by offering choices within 50K of each model so that the customer remains in the showroom.
You said it correct Carwatcher. As per the Mahindra sales personal they want the customers to have a wide variety of choices so that they can feel atleast one product to be in their price range once they are in the showroom. This theory actually made sense when I was told that in Zuleikha motors velachery Chennai, nearly 30 customers who came in first week of KUV launch to check the vehicle booked TUV300 as they found it good.

Personally my feeling is that majority lot of people who are really interested in Mahindra or Tata is just because of the VFM and the space offerings. For them the gadgets is just a added bonus. So when they see an opportunity where they can see a car which is just 50000 more but is very big and better then they simply go for that car or suv or muv or whatever they are called. Most of the gadgets can be added as accessories later. I am one such person and I will get the best VFM car in the budget excluding the gadgets and will add them as per my taste later. I prefer Storme over XUV, TUV over ecosport. KUV over Grand i10...
msk_kapoor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 11:52   #39

My first reaction was "not bad". I honestly was at a loss imagining how can anyone make the Quanto look better. But i gotta say Mahindra have done quite good. I liked the front end, even the eyebrows, but feel that the overall proportion of the vehicle prevents it from really being 'acceptable' looking overall.

I think the TUV has been one of the best designed products from Mahindra in recent times and easily eclipses Nuvosport(O?). Not sure if those two are even comparable

On a separate note, maybe it's time for Mahindra to change the company tag line from 'Rise' to 'Utho'
tifoso is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 14:38   #40
BHPian

Mahindra is known for doing this.
The front always looks promising, the middle just about ok and then comes the rear , and it falls flat on its face. Most of the time the rear ends abruptly, almost like, the Mahindra designers were full of energy and ideas when designing the front and when it came to rear they just ran out/ got bored and drew a line from top to bottom and said,'this will do'.
I feel the car looks plain ugly.
Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 16:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Absolutely true the expectations are coming down after each and every launch. I really had great expectations when scoop images of the S101 (KUV100) came out on media. Posting the one which came on Autocar
These images look so much better then what has been delivered to the roads. From the earlier Scorpio to the XUV, things seemed to be looking up. However, post XUV (which had is it little share of quirkiness), things are generally looking downwards, even as the competition keeps showing improvements. XUV standing out there from the siblings.

Off topic - Similar for designers of Liva cross / Punto cross (or whatever they were ). What happened to the design of these "cars" by the "designers".
Old 4th March 2016, 19:05   #42
BHPian

When we all thought that with launch of TUV300, Mahindra will finally take off Quanto from its list, here we have the all new refreshed Quanto with a new name! Why did they even rename it when its only an updated model of Quanto?

Not sure which segment of people Mahindra is targeting with this vehicle when they already have Bolero and TUV300 for different needs.
Old 4th March 2016, 20:45   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
I am not sure what different they have to offer with Nuvosport diesel when compared to TUV3OO?
The Quanto's engine is definitely better than that of the TUV300. A significant 15 BHP more! That's like the difference between the 1st-gen Honda City's 1.3L and 1.5L Vtec .

Quote:
I know there is market for such quirky designs or rather the market doesn't actually bother about the looks at all.
India is such a diverse country that there's a market for everything. Just like classy white shirts sell, so do gaudy green ones with silver stripes.

The KUV100 seems ugly to all of us, but I took it on the highway and everyone in Lonavla was going gaga over the car. There were bikers following me! For Mahindra, it's a good differentiator. Not everyone likes clean, understated designs. There is a large customer base out there that likes it flashy & overdone.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 20:59   #44
BHPian

Seems like Mahindra has managed to give an already ugly car are more uglier name!
I still do think the new front end and grills look much better than the ones on the older Quanto. Looks like a mixture of Ecosport and TUV. Correct me if am wrong but are those hideous looking thing above the headlights are turn indicators?
The rear still looks blant to say the least.
Why don't they just end it with the Quanto and bring a more practical people mover to rival the Ertiga/Mobilio.
Old 5th March 2016, 08:01   #45

First of all, my congratulations to mahindra for attempting to revive a platform that the best business leaders in the world would've given up on! Secondly, it's a decent attempt to increase volumes, by how much? Only time will tell.
The real differentiator for this product in my POV will be the comfort factor inside. From the looks of it, it might seem that much hasn't changed on the inside, but remember that mahindra is aggressively working on improving their interiors. Tuv300 for example has very good interiors for its class. Will be very interesting to check this aspect of nuvosport. Quanto had best in class refinement. NVH was better than most 4 cylinder diesel motors. So this might offer a slightly better package than tuv300.
Not much can be done with the side profile I guess. I will be surprised if mahindra hasn't started work on the new Xylo and by extension, Nuvosport platform already. And this time, I'm sure the biggest concentration of the team will be to get their proportions right. Mahindra has a long way to go in getting their MUV right. But proud of the fact that an Indian company is taking on the competition head on with so much balls!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks