Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 14:52   #136
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Nuvosport is the updated Quanto

Mahindra has committed Hara-Kiri with the Nuvosport. I felt this should have been offerd with atleast a 4X4 as a differentiator. It has no USP, priced above the TUV and will be eaten for lunch by Brezza, Ecosport and Nexon.
MadiMaama is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 15:02   #137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Here is an occasion where I am forced to eat my own words as per my March 25th post on this thread.

This NuvoSport is sadly, an ugly car. The Quanto was never a good looker, always a bit of an Ugly Duckling, but this mutant version is really sad.

It seems that it only looks nice from the Front 3 quarter angle and then too, only when photographed from a certain angle.

It is not going to be able to hold its own with the new crop of mini SUV's for sure.
I think M&M should just kill it and put it out of its misery.

Much better for them to focus on their Scorpio, Bolero, Mini XUV, Full Size XUV, TUV and KUV AWD + AMT Version with lots and lots of Safety Kit.

But the M&M Guys need serious Life Support when it comes to Design - who on earth is designing their vehicles these days - excessive bling and excessive everything else - terribly in your face!

Perhaps with the acquisition of Pininfarina, some good things may happen in that space!

They would certainly do well if they reduce the number of variants on sale as well. Just to make things easier for consumers.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 15:15   #138
BHPian

Why so much hate?

Think of it as an alternative to the extreme boxy looks (square wheel arches? ) of the TUV. The second row reclining seats are a big improvement over the Quanto.

Not much investment and another model from Mahindra in the "SUV" segment.

Think of it as the Wagon-R of Compact Suv's.Practical.Or more like the Stingray,the expensive cousin of the Wagon-R.
Old 5th April 2016, 15:33   #139
BHPian

Slotted ABOVE the TUV? What is Mahindra's marketing team smoking these days? It still looks as if it has emerged out of the middle of a multi vehicle shunt. The only thing that could have convinced me to buy it would have been a price cheaper by a lakh from the competition.

Or maybe a cab over engine configuration.

Last edited by fighterace : 5th April 2016 at 15:35.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 15:54   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen pictures of the Nuvo Sport (what kinda "Sport" it is with its 3 cyl engine that runs out of steam @ 100 plus kmph ?) and it appears to be a crap product by its looks. Their R & D is appearing to be lately turning into churning out cranky designs. The designs of the TUV and KUV appear to be designed by designers, who don't go by conventions and want to design something "out of the blue", but the ultimate product looks cranky.

I feel their designers will put some of the eccentric French car designers to shame.

At least now it feels that the TUV though extremely boxy, was better designed than these two "arrested development" products the KUV and now the NuvoSport.

And they say they have a controlling stake in Pininfarina.

Just can compare the original Willys/ Jeep CJ series made by M & M (Kaiser Corpn and later American Motors followed by Chrysler ownership and Ford GPV's, the FC pick-up and their classic, then contemporary looks) and these new crap stuff KUV, Nuvo ??? Oh God !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th April 2016 at 15:56.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 17:20   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalspook View Post
Micro-hybrid tech doesn't necessarily require a clutch to function. Take for example the BMW 1-series, or the Mercedes Benz GLA-Class. They're both AMTs, and both come equipped with the micro-hybrid feature, aka, Start/Stop as standard equipment.
Oops! Was looking for the Edit button but couldn't see it.

I actually meant: "... Take for example the BMW 1-series, or the Mercedes Benz GLA-Class. They're both ATs, and come equipped with the micro-hybrid feature, aka, Start/Stop as standard equipment, which is activated thru the brake pedal."
Old 5th April 2016, 23:27   #142
BHPian

I have said it all along. Not many people would be willing to pay more than they would have to for a Brezza/Ecosport for a heavy/tall ladder on frame chassis designed to fit in a circus than in your parking lot.

As an Indian naturally i am biased towards Indian companies. I want them to do well but why are they wasting so much money on products they know are destined to fail from get go. Anybody who have travelled in the back seat of the first generation Scorpio's [ the earlier models] would know they were recipe for motion sickness. In the later models they redesigned the suspension and things got better. One would have thought Mahindra would have learnt their lesson. If you watch the first drive videos of Nuvosport will see the vehicle pitching under braking and has too much lateral movement. What does it say? This has been softly sprung and with the tall dimensions this will lean like the leaning tower of pisa.

Times have changed. Even average customer looks for a vehicle with good highway manners and stability especially in this segment. Gone are those days where you would say the average Joe does not care for handling. What Mahindra need to realize is that they cannot reverse the laws of physics. The wheelbase to track ratio is totally skewed and you simply cannot compensate that.

The compact SUV segment is rapidly growing and has fierce competition. For an average Indian buyer a million rupees is hell a lot of money and he expects a certain level of aspirational value from the car. Just look at those dated interiors and those blingy exteriors. It is sad to see a competent Indian manufacturer like Mahindra shooting itself in foot.

The XUV, original Bolero and the Scorpio were products which had clear target audiences and the products were in tune with customer requirements. The newer launches seem to be all over the place. The TUV is a good effort but it needs a powerful engine, the KUV needs to be toned down in terms of design and the Nuvosport needs to be scrapped altogether.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 5th April 2016 at 23:36.
Old 6th April 2016, 03:11   #143
Senior - BHPian

Much better than earlier Quanto for sure. It looks quite macho in styling and I am sure many people in tier II and III cities or in rural market will like it. Its a kind of Mini Scorpio for me. It has 5+2 option that is a good thing. Only bad thing is it has same old interiors. This car deserves better interiors.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 05:01   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Perhaps with the acquisition of Pininfarina, some good things may happen in that space!
Imagine the scene when Pininfarina employees get mails from their Parent company on their new product launches i.e the TUV, KUV, Nuvosport etc. They should be running towards the exit never to return back
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 05:24   #145
Senior - BHPian

And people say Chinese designs are the worst. This again is horrendous on so many levels but then again this is expected of Mahindra after uglier TUV300 and uglist KUV100! No sense of proportions, no design sense, this is an utter disgrace to the field of car design.

The only thing worse than the design are the name for the cars themselves - KUV1"DOUBLE O", TUV3"DOUBLE O" - juvenile stuff! I understand that the names have to end in "O" due to superstition just like the much maligned "K" from Ekta Kapoor soap opera's but it also tells you the psyche at the company when it cares more about the superstition than the product itself. Perhaps they should sell it with nimbu mirchi from the factory itself. This would be a first for the spec sheet too Mahindra.
extreme_torque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 09:58   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And people say Chinese designs are the worst. This again is horrendous on so many levels but then again this is expected of Mahindra after uglier TUV300 and uglist KUV100! No sense of proportions, no design sense, this is an utter disgrace to the field of car design.

The only thing worse than the design are the name for the cars themselves - KUV1"DOUBLE O", TUV3"DOUBLE O" - juvenile stuff! I understand that the names have to end in "O" due to superstition just like the much maligned "K" from Ekta Kapoor soap opera's but it also tells you the psyche at the company when it cares more about the superstition than the product itself. Perhaps they should sell it with nimbu mirchi from the factory itself. This would be a first for the spec sheet too Mahindra.
. People like you and me can crib as much as we want but the truth is the ugliness is selling many times over the far more beautiful cars that we have in market today. I guess the 'double o' and K do have some significance for the respective persons. Fiat India must consultant naming consultant (I am sure there are plenty) and try their luck!
Old 6th April 2016, 11:03   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Times have changed. Even average customer looks for a vehicle with good highway manners and stability especially in this segment. Gone are those days where you would say the average Joe does not care for handling. What Mahindra need to realize is that they cannot reverse the laws of physics. The wheelbase to track ratio is totally skewed and you simply cannot compensate that.
I always thought that the WheelBase to TrackWidth depends on the usage and for the intended purpose of the vehicle. Can you let me know how the WB to TW is totally skewed in Nuvosport? This is just for my learning purpose as a curious person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

I am really confused when lots of people refer to design proportions. As a mechanical engineer, when i say proportions i always refer to some baseline design guidelines to say a car is out of proportion. Can you folks enlighten me of where you come to the conclusion that cars are out of proportion? What is it you guys are checking this with.

If this is your personal thoughts please excuse me, but please refrain from using terms like proportions where quantitative reference takes precedence and this might confuse newbies. But when it comes to subjective things like design,names and colours we can go all over the place

And personally i dont like Nuvosport design from pictures (I own KUV100 and love that design and am a fan of Mahindra designs in general). But unless i see this car in person i cannot comment on the car for sure. Will visit the showroom soon to see whether this is getting displayed.

Last edited by msk_kapoor : 6th April 2016 at 11:22.
msk_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:39   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
I am really confused when lots of people refer to design proportions. As a mechanical engineer, when i say proportions i always refer to some baseline design guidelines to say a car is out of proportion. Can you folks enlighten me of where you come to the conclusion that cars are out of proportion? What is it you guys are checking this with.
Hope you are part of the mahindra design team and are trying to get inputs for the next design.

Jokes apart; we are talking about the proportions for an easy-to-eye vehicle. Theoretically you can build a vehicle at any proportion of length, width and height. But will it make a good and easy-to-eye design? Ofcourse no.

I guess a basic minimum aesthetic sense will tell you how awkward the proportions of vehicles like xylo, quanto and this nuvosport are. Am I saying xuv awkward? No. Scorpio? No. Tuv? No. The common feeling here in this forum is as simple as that.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 6th April 2016 at 11:51.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:55   #149
Senior - BHPian

Two things comes to my mind.
Overly designed:

I see Mahindra always bombard with too much of design. They try with everything they learn- But in try to dump everything they liked in one single car, that makes the overly designed cars a no-no to many.
Take the case of Bolero was made complex to the eyes generation after generation.

Market positioning:

I understand Mahindra is trying to be known as an SUV company. But why two vehicles - TUV and this one, almost on the same segment one after another within this short span?

BTW. Did Mahindra forgotten Xylo? It really requires a major overhaul in terms of design, mechanicals and quality.
Old 8th April 2016, 00:55   #150
BHPian

The fresh face is let down by the rest of the looks. A total refresh would've served them better from the Xylo image.

Most Viewed