Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 22:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Wow! Ten out of the top twenty are from Maruti! I don't think that had happened for quite a while.
Old 5th March 2016, 05:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Does Jaguar India keeps its sales numbers private? We have BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc but Jaguar/Range rover sales are never mentioned.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 12:03   #33
BHPian

So we are in the second last month of the fiscal year end and the picture pretty much remains the same except a few changes
  • Except Maruti and Hyundai, and to some extent Mahindra, other players have not got the hang of successfully launching new models. Renault, Honda, Toyota all have failed in the A and B segment. Maruti has tasted success with Celerio, Ciaz, Baleno and S-Cross and hyundai with i20 and Creta.
  • Alto continues to dominate the segment with little competition in sight. Hyundai and Renault have tried with EON and KWID respectively but have not been very successful.
  • Swift and its sibling Dzire continue to dominate the B segment and except hyundai in B1 segment, there is no competition in sight. Both Xcent and Amaze have not been able to halt the B2 segment march of Maruti. People first ridiculed Maruti for the model but within not time started copying the concept.
  • It is simply amazing to see Wagon R, Eeco and Omni continue to pull decent numbers without much sales promotion.
  • Hyundai has hit jackpot with i20 and Creta and Renault has a new "Kwid" on the block. Both I think will continue to do well in their segments.
  • Ciaz has outnumbered City and as it will not be subjected to price increase, it will become more attractive in near future as the price gap widens.
  • Ford has to start worrying as after Creta, Brezza will wean away customers and their other models are also not doing good. It will be heartening for them to see the Endeavour sales figures but it is early days.
  • Toyota continues to make merry with Corolla, Innova and Fortuner. New models and thus new prices. It is one manufacturer which is increasing the price continuously and still the demand is inelastic.

It will be interesting to see the March numbers as manufacturers will try to maximise dealer dispatches to increase the yearly sales.
Old 5th March 2016, 12:13   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Why doesn't the Audi A3 feature in that list?
Every month I spot some inconsistency in the luxury car numbers and hence don't comment on them.

I'm dead sure that the A3 is clubbed with the A4 on that chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Does Jaguar India keeps its sales numbers private? We have BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc but Jaguar/Range rover sales are never mentioned.
Numbers are too less to share . They will start sharing once they cross 5,000 cars a year. This is how they were placed till 2014:

February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-g_jlr_web.jpg
Source
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 12:45   #35
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the much awaited monthly sales thread .

Few observation from my side:
  • It is amazing to see the Top-5 cars in the chart maintain almost the same levels month after month, irrespective of the market conditions.
  • Creta's best ever performance this month and it co-incides with the worst ever performance of Duster. Let's see whether the facelift can save its face.
  • Interestingly, the above scenario also led to one more unique instance where Terrano has outsold its sibling for only the 2nd time since its launch - the last time happened was way back in Jan '14 (Terrano with 3126 units marginally beat Duster which sold 3046 units).
  • Celerio has taken a hit of 2K units, but that was offset by WagonR sales - whether introduction of AMT in WagonR led to this?
  • For the first time, Chevrolet has a market share of less than 1% - better they shut shop and concentrate on other markets.
  • Go has doubled its sales M-o-M, it has crossed 1K mark after a long time (Apr '15 was the last time). In fact, this is it's 4th best ever month in terms of sales after the initial 3 months of launch!!! Any reason behind this surge in sales?
  • Ford is the perfect example that the pathetic dealership experience can kill the sales of any car - how good it may be. Aspire, Figo, Endeavor all suffer even though they are competent products which deserves more.
  • Why there is a huge decline in City's sales - are Honda preparing to dispatch more number of Amaze facelift?
  • Hyundai seriously need to expedite the launch of new Verna - the only mass product which is underperforming (i10 not withstanding) in their portfolio.
  • M&M moved more number of KUV100, but looks like that had an impact in TUV300 sales numbers. And Quanto 123 units?????
  • Maruti Suzuki going steady and the launch of Vitara Brezza can only mean one thing - they will capture atleast 50% of the market share soon.
  • Hope Tiago bring in the necessary volumes for Tata - nothing to write about their existing portfolio which are almost selling the same for long.
  • Innova back in business even after the announcement of new Crysta and Fortuner continues to outsell the competition combined and some more - even the new Endy does not seem to have any effect. And LC has outsold Rexton, Trailblazer and Koleos - Toyota must be laughing their way to bank.

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 5th March 2016 at 12:47.
jpcoolguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 12:46   #36
BHPian

Baleno doing good numbers inspite of limited reach of Nexa. Creta keeps moving from strength to strength. The numbers for Kwid should see growth in the future. KUV numbers show that Mahindra has got the public interested with its quirky design. I think KUV shall see higher numbers in the future.

One thing, which I have never been able to understand is.. How can 8 Dzires be sold for against 10 Altos. Hats off to Maruti for its leadership position and its share price shows. Also, can someone tell me why have the Innova figures increased. The new Innova is around the corner. Is it heavy discounts on the outgoing model.

Feel sad for Figo twins. However, the showroom experience should be a big reason for the numbers.

Renault should be extremely careful about their game in India. Duster is the top loser of the month. The trend is expected to continue. With the entire numbers being dependent on just one car, the Kwid, Renault is in a risky spot. Needs to add more items to diversify concentration risk.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2016 at 11:39. Reason: Typo
anuraglakhotia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 13:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemjuneja86 View Post
KUV100 is the only hatch apart from Maruti/Hyundai to have done so well in the B1/B2 segment. This is a tough segment to crack and every other big manufacturer has failed badly here !! So big cheers to Mahindra for this !
Are we forgetting the old Figo here - it was one of the best sellers in this segment which used to sell more than 6K on an average per month during the period of 2010-12, better than the current KUV100's numbers and even beat the Ritz hands down during its hey-days. It is still early trends for KUV100 and let's wait for atleast couple of months on where it settles - the good thing though for it is that except Tiago there are no new launches planned in this segment.

Quote:
TUV300 needs some more marketing push and I think it will move up.
I think the KUV100 have stolen some numbers from TUV300 - but this is purely my opinion - it will be clear in upcoming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I am surprised to see the dip in the numbers of Baleno, is it no longer a threat to i20 ?
The export of Baleno is the reason for this dip and also for the long waiting periods. Looks like this will continue for some time, until Maruti ramp up the production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Chevrolet has about 9 car models, 200 + dealers across the country. A quick calculation tells me, on an average, each dealer sold about 11 cars in a month.
Good observation and they hit another "milestone" this month with their market share plummeting below 1% for the first time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageera View Post
Don't know whats wrong with Ford. Even though they have such good products (new Figo & Aspire) which should get them some numbers, they are losing out to other manufacturers.
When the dealership quote 25-30 days waiting period for the new Figo - you can imagine what will be the customer thinking. I am unable to figure out whether there is really such a long waiting periods for Figo or the dealerships are taking the customer for granted .
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 14:04   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuraglakhotia View Post
Also, can someone tell me why has the Innova figures increased. The new Innova is round the corner. Is it heavy discounts on the outgoing model.
People fear there will be a huge price difference between current and new Innova, and with the threat of current innova stopping production, the purchases are being advanced, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Wow! Ten out of the top twenty are from Maruti! I don't think that had happened for quite a while.
It's so for a long time. Except gypsy, scross and ritz, all the remaining 10 cars from maruti stable are there in the top 20. Now with brezza and (possibly) ignis replacing ritz, 12 out of 14 cars from maruti will be in the top 20/25.

Now, they need to replace gypsy with a 4x4 version of brezza and with increased gc and a sun roof.

And let scross wait for its turn till the market matures for spacious hatches and crossovers.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 14:16   #39
BHPian

Sales for this month show some very interesting trends.

Sales clearly show that not all sub 4 mtr sedans are embraced by the Market. Aspire, Zest, Verito, Quanto shows it whilst Xcent, Amaze and Dzire prove otherwise.

The combined sales number of all FIAT models put togather is substantially less than the sales of one single model Tavera by another back bencher Chevrolet.

With just 3 copies sold, Rexton apparently is heading to the end of road unless substantial efforts are made to revive it.

Passat, Aria, Prado, Fluence, Vitara and Spark now come under a special segment i.e., DUCKS. Teana has just missed its membership to this privileged segment.
King_pin09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 18:12   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting data. In the B2 segment, I think the Baleno effect has killed the Jazz and the Figo, and that when Maruti is not able to produce it fast enough. My brother bought a Figo recently - but would have upgraded to the Baleno but for the long wait list. In that context, the performance of the i20 is very creditable.

Also interesting that each of the C Class (which data probably includes the CLA, and perhaps the A and B class as well) and the A4 sell more than double the combined D2 segment sales, and more than twice what the Octavia does. Demonstrates the stark level of inequality in our country - people either stick to the C segment or go all the way to the luxury brands.

By the way, where are all the 7000 Kwids a month going? I have seen only 1 on the road in Bombay so far (and I do notice car models while driving).
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 21:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

February 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks Aditya.
The Ciaz is now King of the C segment sedans. What's with the Honda City? Almost the end of the road for the Brio and the Mobilio? They both will die once the Honda BRV is launched. Amaze is now in the taxi market, probably the reason in increased sales.
Impressive Creta dispatches. It now is in a very strong space. I20 continues to dominate and the Baleno doesn't seem to have an answer.
Kwid dispatches have been excellent. Renault on a revival.
Superb makes a few extra numbers. Is it the new superb dispatches or the stock being cleared?
TUV on a decline? Didn't anticipate that.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th March 2016 at 21:07.
Old 5th March 2016, 21:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

By the way, where are all the 7000 Kwids a month going? I have seen only 1 on the road in Bombay so far (and I do notice car models while driving).
Mostly to Hyderabad I guess. I see a lot of them around, looks quirky and cute in its own way. Sort of like a beefed up Alto meets a toned down/shrunken Duster...

I suspect Tata numbers will begin a slow rise once the Tiago, the Kite Sedan and the Hexa are launched. The Storme too seems to be building in higher numbers gradually, I hope it becomes a 1200/month SUV

Last edited by apachelongbow : 5th March 2016 at 21:48.
Old 5th March 2016, 21:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Same here. It is quite strange that I don't see many Kwids on the road. Driving on NH1 you do get a sense (although just a sense) about how newly launched car models are performing in the market. I get to see a lot of KUV 100s but very very few Kwids. By the way, I am increasingly spotting Lodgy on the highways.

Aside, does any one get a feeling that Tiago's launch has been another botched affair by Tata? It has been some time since this car was first showcased and then displayed on Auto expo and yet no official prices.

I maybe wrong but this is probably the only case where even the T-BHP review was launched 2 months before the car gets officially released in the market!

Last edited by rrsteer : 5th March 2016 at 22:09.
Old 6th March 2016, 10:03   #44
BHPian

Much awaited thread and didn't get time to wait this time!

As a Nano fan its really bad news to see its number falling. Every month I expect its number to rise but this time again its disappointing. All the credit goes to Kwid for being so impressive car in its segment. Some one mentioned that in spite of clocking good sales figures you rarely get to see Kwid on road. In fact I was also wondering about same because Creta is also selling in similar numbers and to my surprise I have seen lot of Cretas on roads in my town which is a non metro city I suppose! The only reason I thought was because Hyundai Showroom is in my Area and Renault showroom is very far, so this might be the reason I don't get to see many Kwids.

Good to see KUV100 getting good response from the market. Though I was little bit sceptical about it.

One more thing I would like the to mention is about Omni figures. I mean is that taxi guys who are buying it or its being bought for private purpose. This is again one of my favourite vehicles till date. Happy to see it selling now also. Maruti is really doing a wonderful job.
Old 6th March 2016, 17:40   #45
BHPian

It would be interesting to multiply car sale figures with the respective average ex showroom price of the car. We would get see top grossing cars.
vagabond128 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks