Team-BHP - Rumour: Honda India to launch HR-V
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Honda India to launch HR-V (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/173832-rumour-honda-india-launch-hr-v-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4398716)
....the strategy might just work for Honda, unlike Renault. :Frustrati.

Doubtful. The Brio/Amaze platform is never going to be spacious enough to compete in the crossover segment. Mobilio/BR-V may be spacious length-wise, but there's no denying the narrow cabin when one's actually traveling in it.

While the sunroof is the Jazz-based WR-V's novelty bling feature, its primary USP is space. If Honda are going to Kaptur the Indian market, at least start with the more practical platform. Cost isn't a factor because whatever contraption results from the exercise isn't going to be priced cheap anyway.

Quote:

...Hope this makes Toyota bring their crossovers to India - like the CHR or Rush.
Why offer first-world products, when they can sell basic MUVs at luxury car prices? I'm no fan of Toyota India, but I can at least respect them for not bothering to offer pseudo-global products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4398746)
Doubtful. The Brio/Amaze platform is never going to be spacious enough to compete in the crossover segment. Mobilio/BR-V may be spacious length-wise, but there's no denying the narrow cabin when one's actually traveling in it.

Why offer first-world products, when they can sell basic MUVs at luxury car prices? I'm no fan of Toyota India, but I can at least respect them for not bothering to offer pseudo-global products.

Well, the new Amaze is based on a new platform, so Honda might be able to pull off something, since we do not know the capabilities of this new platform. Having said that, why should Honda not use the City Platform? The H-RV should be the Creta Rival, so pricing is anyway around 15 Lakhs. And Unlike Hyundai, Honda has the sub 4 m cross over segment covered with the WRV, so they need not have an entry level variant like the Creta at 10-11 Lakhs. So when they can afford to price the H-RV higher, then why not do it right and create a legacy product like the Creta?

Secondly on Toyota, they are only getting started. you have to wait and see how they are going to market the Indian Suzuki made Brezza!

Quote:

Agreed. But the new generation Amaze is 15mm wider than the earlier one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 4398805)
So when they can afford to price the H-RV higher, then why not do it right and create a legacy product like the Creta?

Much higher margins per product? Greed, in simpler terms.

Imagine the margins on the BRV for example which retails till 12.48L ex-showroom, but sharing the many things in common with the Brio priced from 4.73L. A Creta competitor based on Amaze could be a similar price to value proposition (for the company, not customers).

You're right about pricing against Creta because Honda will surely price their product at a premium to the Hyundai.

At a time when even Maruti is planning to bring global products like the Vitara to India, Honda's decisions are baffling.

Why don't they understand that they (like Toyota) just can't do budget cars. Toyota realised that and focussed on global offerings. Why can't Honda do the same? Leave the small cars to Maruti and bring in the HR-V, Civic, CR-V and Accord.

Their ideal lineup should be -

Amaze
Sub 4m SUV on Amaze platform (next gen WR-V)
Jazz
City
Compass rival on Jazz/City platform (next gen HR-V)
Civic
CR-V
Accord

Quote:

The Brio/Amaze platform is never going to be spacious enough to compete in the crossover segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4398813)
Agreed. But the new generation Amaze is 15mm wider than the earlier one.

The older Brio/Amaze platform was made as per the Brio's requirements, and it was modified slightly (length-wise) to accommodate the BR-V's top hat.

But this new "2UA" platform which underpins the new Amaze has been designed specifically keeping SUVs in mind. Wider on all sides, the positioning of the wheels on specific load-bearing points, width of wheel sections to easily engineer larger wheel wells for larger SUV tyres, and the upright stance of the top hat on the all-new platform - all optimised to spawn compact/sub-compact SUVs on it.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why the Amaze looks upright from the front and sides, instead of having a natural slope like most sedans.

Now that Honda has mated it's 1.5L i-DTEC to the CVT, expect this combo to carry over to these SUV offerings as well. So, the reduction in cost by going back to a lower platform will be negated by offering better features, new engine + transmission combos, and the "premium" they would want to command due to the Honda badge.

In the end, the final pricing will be more or less on similar Creta-esque terms. Maybe even slightly higher. As long as the public is ready to pay for it (like they are for the WR-V), Honda will have the last laugh.

Quote:

While the sunroof is the Jazz-based WR-V's novelty bling feature, its primary USP is space. If Honda are going to Kaptur the Indian market, at least start with the more practical platform. Cost isn't a factor because whatever contraption results from the exercise isn't going to be priced cheap anyway.

Answer is simple - margins.

Cheaper platform + low engineering cost + cost effectiveness = much better margins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4398813)
Much higher margins per product? Greed, in simpler terms.

:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4398683)
Birdies are chirping that the HR-V, in it's current or future avatars, won't be coming to our market. Apparently Honda India doesn't deem it feasible enough to be a part of it's future plans.

Instead, a HR-V based crossover SUV which will use the HR-V's top hat riding on the all-new Amaze's platform (2UA/2UB) seems to be finalised for India.

The BS-VI compatible 1.5L i-DTEC is most likely to be one of the engine options. Honda is studying the feasibility of localising an all-new 1.0L turbocharged petrol engine for this Creta/Duster rival, while it is working on a more efficient & future norms compliant 1.5L petrol as well.

Apologies for being rude, but Honda boffins seems to be Donkeys grazing on high quality weed.

HR-V is a much better/ premium product than the Amaze platform. I had a feeler of the same in my SG trip & putting HR-V as top hat on something from Amaze platform would be more akin to "Amazing" Chinese copy.

Amaze platform is more of a failure for a brand of Honda's strature, they should look beyond Financials (coming from a person who happens to be a CA as well as MBA). The company should stop investing significant sums on Amaze platform, write off costs, support it over long run with limited products (again with eye on investment).

Instead concentrate on image/ goodwill with premium products based on Jazz/ City/ HR-V. Even Pakistan gets original HR-V, whatever the sales numbers be. They are letting the competition get ahead with "Topi Ghumao" approach than adding up anything for Japanese HQ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4398981)
But this new "2UA" platform which underpins the new Amaze has been designed specifically keeping SUVs in mind. Wider on all sides, the positioning of the wheels on specific load-bearing points, width of wheel sections to easily engineer larger wheel wells for larger SUV tyres, and the upright stance of the top hat on the all-new platform - all optimised to spawn compact/sub-compact SUVs on it.

145KMPH speed limit is a limitation of the platform or they are doing it for Amaze only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 (Post 4399058)
145KMPH speed limit is a limitation of the platform or they are doing it for Amaze only?

Last time it was done for Amaze, Mobilio and BRV.

With this generation - they've started it again with the Amaze. Hope the same is not repeated for others new cars based on this platform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron:) (Post 4398942)
Their ideal lineup should be -

Amaze
Sub 4m SUV on Amaze platform (next gen WR-V)
Jazz
City
Compass rival on Jazz/City platform (next gen HR-V)
Civic
CR-V
Accord

A striped down version of an Odyssey to compete with an Innova would be a nice addition to this list :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4398683)
Birdies are chirping that the HR-V, in it's current or future avatars, won't be coming to our market. Apparently Honda India doesn't deem it feasible enough to be a part of it's future plans.

Instead, a HR-V based crossover SUV which will use the HR-V's top hat riding on the all-new Amaze's platform (2UA/2UB) seems to be finalised for India.

I wonder why these manufacturers (especially the Japanese) think that India is not a feasible market for their regular models. The HR-V/Vezel is no way a premium high end car; the quality levels and size are just about the same as, say the Creta. Honda is taking one step forward with the plans on the Civic but two steps backwards with these ‘India-specific’ plans.

Is Honda India really launching the HR-V ? Autocar India thinks so.

India expected to get Facelift Version. We knew that before.

Quote:

For the Indian market, Honda has plans to bring the HR-V facelift (with slight tweaks) to our shores in 2019. Here, it is expected to rival higher variants of the Hyundai Creta, the upcoming Tata Harrier, the yet-to-arrive MG-badged Baojun SUV
Likely to be powered by 1.5 Petrol & 1.6 Diesel Engines.

Quote:

The HR-V for European markets also comes with a 1.6-litre diesel engine option. This oil-burner will come to India first in the upcoming all-new CR-V and then is likely to be used in the next Honda Civic sedan, as well.
Source

I have been waiting for this car for eternity and now lost all hopes.
Will Honda really bring this to India? If Honda prices it close to Creta, this can be a huge success for Honda India. But, I don't have much hopes on Honda India since they seem to be hell bent on focussing on sub-standard products for Indian market. Also, they have a Amaze-based SUV in the pipeline. So, I am not sure how all this will be positioned.

But, given that Honda is already bringing the Civic which I am guessing will share parts with the HRV and also the engines are going to be reused across City/Civic/HRV/CRV, Honda India might make a smart decision for once. Fingers crossed

If they do so, Honda would be launching a car based on the current (GK) Jazz at the same time as they are launching another car based on the next-Gen Jazz (the next City). I expect to see the next Jazz' spyshots on the web in around 6-8 months, actually.

Similarly, the Civic would be 2+ years into its lifecycle by the time it gets here.

The W124 scenario get played over again and again, on a smaller scale of blunder.lol:

2018 Honda HR-V (facelift) launched at the GIIAS 2018 in Indonesia. If given a green signal, this is expected to be launched in India next year.

Pics Source : https://indianautosblog.com/2018/08/...donesia-311765
and they have sourced it from : https://autonetmagz.com/honda-hr-v-f...n-fitur/70622/

I see some comments with the expectation that it to be priced on par with Creta which in my opinion is never going to happen.

Compared to Compass it might not have that SUVish feel. But here in USA HRV costs almost the same as a Civic/Compass. So my guess is even if it is sold in India it would be as costly as a Compass and knowing Honda-India, they might try to sell it at a premium than Compass starting at 18.xx lakhs. :Frustrati

I just hope that they bring the H-RV as such with all bells and whistles with atleast 120hp 1.6L diesel and not a cost-cut version without the features and safety tech.please: