Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 19:25   #151
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Honda India to launch HR-V

I have been in the Vezel(HR-V) when I was at Singapore last year and I was thoroughly impressed! The quality, fit and finish, design and the compact dimensions make it an amazing product! I'd really like to see it in India but hopefully without any cost-cutting or quality issues which sadly, isn't very likely.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 22:42   #152
BHPian

I'm afraid the HR-V will fail mainly on 2 weaknesses

1. A lower stance and a less SUVish look
2. Pricing

The same reasons probably why the captur didn't fare too well.

Also, isn't Maruti Suzuki launching Vitara this year. Tough, tough competition for Honda.

Pricing is the key!

Last edited by silvercloud : 30th April 2019 at 22:54.
Old 1st May 2019, 08:11   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud View Post
I'm afraid the HR-V will fail mainly on 2 weaknesses

1. A lower stance and a less SUVish look
2. Pricing

The same reasons probably why the captur didn't fare too well.

Also, isn't Maruti Suzuki launching Vitara this year. Tough, tough competition for Honda.

Pricing is the key!
I Agree. Having seen it in Srilanka and Singapore, it doesn't have the street presence that we Indians expect at this price point. This might have similar fate as S-cross(though Honda would be happy to sell more numbers than BR-V)
Old 1st May 2019, 09:49   #154
BHPian

Thoroughly agree with silvercloud and rajshenoy here. The HRV actually does fall into a no man's land, lacking the flair of a butch SUV (which we Indians are head over heels for) and positioning it beyond Creta into Compass/Hector territory would be a real deal breaker for many.
The coupe-ish looks a.k.a Captur/S Cross look good in a European city but here it is just not acceptable. Also, the competition is surely heating up as the micro/mini SUVs are where the future moolah lies for the automotive manufacturers.
Old 1st May 2019, 11:15   #155
BHPian

IMHO, over time, we Indians will also see the pointlessness of the 'Butch and Big' craze. From a practicality persepective, cross overs are perfect for people like me who want a car that's easy to drive and park, handles reasonably well and doesn't burn enormous quantities of fuel. And unlike sedans, one doesn't need the finesse and skill of a maestro to negotiate our pothole/speed-breaker infested roads.

I waited for HRV, or petrol-scross, or 1.5 vtec in WRV, got, ired and bought a City. I'm sure there would be others who would see past the road-presence thing and get what works for them rather than how it looks to others on the road. I wish Honda well and hope they keep the pricing sane

Last edited by Su-47 : 1st May 2019 at 11:16. Reason: grammar and typos
Su-47 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 11:26   #156
Senior - BHPian

I hope Honda realises gone are the days when customers were willing to pay a Premium for a Honda Product because of the quality and reliability. Lately most Honda products fail in above parameters. If Honda plans to compete the HRV with Compass price range, they should forget sales of above 1500-2000 units a month.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 11:51   #157
BHPian

This appeared in a national daily of Nepal yesterday. When I called them, I was informed that they would bring the units manufactured in Thailand. It would cost 99lakhs NRs which is roughly 60lacs INR.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Honda India to launch HR-V-20190501_120649.jpg  

amitjha086 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 12:21   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
IMHO, over time, we Indians will also see the pointlessness of the 'Butch and Big' craze. From a practicality persepective, cross overs are perfect for people like me who want a car that's easy to drive and park, handles reasonably well and doesn't burn enormous quantities of fuel. And unlike sedans, one doesn't need the finesse and skill of a maestro to negotiate our pothole/speed-breaker infested roads.

I waited for HRV, or petrol-scross, or 1.5 vtec in WRV, got, ired and bought a City. I'm sure there would be others who would see past the road-presence thing and get what works for them rather than how it looks to others on the road. I wish Honda well and hope they keep the pricing sane
Very well said. I am in the same boat as you the only difference being I am still waiting
Honda should have released this car 5 years back probably but better late than never. I have seen lots of HRVs and also traveled in one. I find the car a very good looker with decent road presence while the interiors and practicality are the major USP of this car - the quality of the interiors feels better than Creta, the interior design also feels nice and premium (for the segment), the boot is very big and practical, it is more spacious than the Creta, there are magic seats along with reclining rear seats, it is also loaded with good features.

Honda is going to take the CKD route which means it will be pricey, hope it is priced well below Compass. I am fine with paying a premium over Creta as long as the car is well loaded without compromises on quality. Also, I sincerely hope Honda provides a petrol manual variant on this one as I am not keen on the CVT. May be the updated 1.5L petrol with 130 PS. The 1.5 turbo is not coming for sure.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 13:03   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
This appeared in a national daily of Nepal yesterday. When I called them, I was informed that they would bring the units manufactured in Thailand. It would cost 99lakhs NRs which is roughly 60lacs INR.

Given that Car Imports in Nepal entail duties of more than 200%, we are looking at price close to 19-20 lacs in India.
That may change however, without any clarity about features available for Nepal market.
Old 1st May 2019, 15:32   #160
BHPian

Honda is a company I fail to understand. They have a solid brand image in India and yet persist with some silly strategies in India. I think the sheer dumb luck resulting in the success of the Civic is giving them bad ideas. Besides, I don't think the success of the Civic will last for long.

Value matters in India (unless you are an Innova or a Fortuner). Pricing this above the Creta is just stupid.
kovilkalai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 15:39   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
This appeared in a national daily of Nepal yesterday.
Why are they calling it the "The 1500cc SUV". I hope it's not the tagline. If it's the 1.5 turbo then we can't compare its prices to the upcoming one in India.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 18:15   #162
BHPian

Honda, this does not look like an SUV, you know we love the butch boxy shape. You also know that India prefers to drink subsidised diesel. For a fact, I know you guys are going to cock up the pricing for sure and perhaps use the excuse that it's a CKD therefore in the ballpark of 2 million rupees, on the road.
If you want this to sell, you must remember this car is currently at the bottom of the rung of the ladder with the Creta (overpriced yet king) at the top and many more favourites following its lead-Harrier, Upcoming 2020 XUV5OO, Upcoming Hector and the Compass.

Please atone for your sins of the recent years with quailty, reliablity & pricing and set the scales correct with the HR-V. Do not get greedy!
Old 1st May 2019, 22:02   #163
BHPian

With respect to engines Honda's strategy for India baffles me.
For petrol, here in US they use same 1.5T in different tunes for HRV, Civic, Accord, CRV and Acura RDX. 1.5 NA engine is used in FIT.
Wont it be good for Honda-India to follow the same strategy of using 1.5 NA/ Turbo versions for City, WRV, HRV, BRV, Civic, Accord and CRV.
Using same age old 1.8 for Civic & HRV, age old 2.0 for CR-V (may be for Accord too in future) clearly says Honda is not focused on Indian market and they think cheaper product sells in India.
With Diesel the story is similar - totally under powered engines from City to CRV.
If this is their plan then Hyundai, Kia, Jeep and our Indian brands(Mahindra & Tata) will be the top sellers in 15-25 Lakh SUV market and Honda will have another dead on arrival (HRV).

Last edited by AccordSport : 1st May 2019 at 22:04.
AccordSport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 23:20   #164
BHPian

HRV is welcome but not above BRV!! Why does Honda want to persist with BRV and then overprice HRV? The compact SUV segment will soon become more competitive with entry of KIA, MG and the 7 seater Buzzard. Not to mention the next gen Creta. I don't think market will be too kind to a Honda crossover which is one size down on the competition but more expensive.
Old 1st May 2019, 23:22   #165
Senior - BHPian

Civic prices? They're absolutely nuts.

Like other members here, I've had a chance to be driven in the HR-V abroad (where it's a common car if you get an Uber) and it's good but also very boring. Compared to the exciting and futuristic Civic, it has zero chance.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks