Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 15:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Honda India to launch HR-V

Honda is gearing up to launch the Brio-based BR-V compact SUV in India later this year and rumours of a Jazz based crossover making its way into Honda's line-up have also arisen. Now, it looks like the Japanese automaker is looking to expand its UV portfolio further as a report suggests that the Honda HR-V has been slated for a launch in 2017.

Honda currently offers the CR-V in India and with the BR-V on its way, Honda may be looking to use the HR-V to fill in the gap between the two. The HR-V / Vezel was revealed in 2013 at the Tokyo Motor Show and it was believed that it would not be launched in India as production costs would prevent it from being priced competitively. However, the Creta's success may have caused Honda to revisit the idea of introducing the HR-V here to take advantage of the rising popularity of SUVs that have cracked the ground underneath D-segment sedans.

No official sources have confirmed the HR-V's Indian prospects yet. In the UK, the HR-V gets a 1.5L i-VTEC petrol engine (129 BHP / 155 Nm) and a 1.6L i-DTEC diesel (118 BHP / 300 Nm), with only two-wheel drive available.

Source: Zigwheels

Rumour: Honda India to launch HR-V-1.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 4th March 2016 at 15:36.
Tushar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 19:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Honda India to launch HR-V in 2017

Saw this car in Sri Lanka this Jan. This is a very very popular car there. Looks very proportionate as opposed to the BR-V(IMO) and is indeed a looker. Always wondered why Honda wasn't launching it in India. I think this might do really well (if priced well).
driveanddrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 19:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been a huge fan of the HR-V for some time now and I was literally as to why Honda India is not releasing this vehicle here given Indians' love for SUV and crossovers.

As they say, better late than never!

This car has the looks, the interior quality and the WOW factor to take on Creta head on and may be even dethrone it if priced competitively.

If this is indeed launched without any India-specific cost cutting measures, this could be my next car!
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 21:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Finally ! IMHO it was a no brainer to bring in the HRV/VEZEL. The fools in Honda's marketing team have actually lost out on 2 years of bumper sales/profits.

I don't think anyone ever doubted the success of the Creta in India and thats probably why Hyundai is king and Honda is not !! They follow instinct and bring in aspirational cars. Be it a premium Hatch or a premium priced mini SUV (creta), they have killed it in India !!
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 21:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

This should have been on the way to India right now instead of the Brio-based BR-V. The HR-V looks better, is more proportionate and has a better build quality if the one sold internationally is any indication. Anyway, it is good that some steps in the right direction is being taken. Bring it on, Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Finally ! IMHO it was a no brainer to bring in the HRV/VEZEL. The fools in Honda's marketing team have actually lost out on 2 years of bumper sales/profits.

I don't think anyone ever doubted the success of the Creta in India and thats probably why Hyundai is king and Honda is not !! They follow instinct and bring in aspirational cars. Be it a premium Hatch or a premium priced mini SUV (creta), they have killed it in India !!
Very well said nik_kapur. Hyundai brings in the latest and the very best to India, starting from the Eon to the Elantra. The dimwits at Honda thought the Brio family is what India needs and reserved the HR-V/Vezel for what they considered as mature markets. Its a great opportunity lost. Just look at the current Jazz and how it's struggling to match Elite i20 in sales. I've a gut feel that the scenario with the Creta and Vezel/HR-V would pan out in a similar way.

Last edited by arvi86 : 4th March 2016 at 21:42.
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 21:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The HR-V was a nice fitment for India when it was globally launched in 2013 itself. Honda had mentioned that they thought they couldnt price it right for the Indian market at the time, which I thought was a pity. If they are finally launching it in 2017, I would be interested to see how they have managed to overcome their original pricing problem - I certainly hope it wouldnt be at the expense of quality- since the HR-V that I experienced in the Tokyo Motor Show had excellent interiors, including a soft-touch dashboard.
theMAG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 21:48   #7
BHPian

This one is a head turner. Eagerly awaited. Hope they don't resort to a lot of cost cutting just like the new Jazz. Since the Creta is doing quite well despite being overpriced, surely Honda can provide the same interiors and build quality as in international markets at a competitive price.

Why is Honda always late in judging the market here?
TD_GHY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 11:37   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a sight for sore eyes! The HR-V seems to be a proper Honda. It's got the quality too. Internationally, the HR-V comes with a 1.6L diesel under the hood. Am pretty sure we'll get the 1.5L, although I hope its tuned up for more power.

If Honda changed its mind on the HR-V, there's only one reason and it's called the CRETA. Every couple of months, we hear of Hyundai revising the Creta's production upward. The latest figures are a whopping ~12,000 a month! That's damn impressive for a 10+ lakh SUV.

In the USA, the HR-V starts at a 20% lower price than the CR-V. Honda will need to do better in India.

P.S. This overdone design is NOT an SUV! Ugh:
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 15:19   #9
BHPian

Having sat in this car abroad, there's only one word about this car - WOW!

When I compared it to my current new-gen City, the Vezel seemed miles and miles ahead of the City in all respects - quality, drive, feel, ride, everything. In fact my City seemed like a Padmini in front of the Vezel (except the iVtec engine of course).

Only concern I have is that they will have to pitch this against Creta. How they will manage the cost is the key question which to me doesn't seem possible unless they cut corners again.

So although I am excited, I don't have high expectations after seeing Honda over past couple of years.
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 12:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

That's nice looking car from Honda.

I believe the next 2-3 years will be really exciting for Honda with new cars coming up including the BR-V, HR-V and the next gen City!

Hopefully they will price the vehicles correctly.
Old 6th March 2016, 17:30   #11
BHPian

HR-V has been launched in Pakistan and I guess in Sri Lanka. Not sure about the Honda Strategy but they have failed to come up with a diesel SUV in India. CR-V is still a petrol model. Before HR-V they are bringing the 7 seater BR-V that will only cannibalize the mobilio.
ashtrix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 18:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a contemporary Honda product. One that'll live upto the standard set by Honda with it's previous models.

I always believed that Honda is trying to use the Brio platform for too many products. A crossover competing with the Creta needs a platform shared with the City/Jazz.

Where will Honda place the BR-V then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtrix View Post
HR-V has been launched in Pakistan and I guess in Sri Lanka.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 18:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtrix View Post
HR-V has been launched in Pakistan and I guess in Sri Lanka.

I think in case of places like Sri Lanka, Dubai etc, where there is no production/assembly and all the cars imported, there is no "launch". People just import whatever they like.
I even saw couple of Teslas in Sri Lanka
driveanddrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 19:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post

I think in case of places like Sri Lanka, Dubai etc, where there is no production/assembly and all the cars imported, there is no "launch". People just import whatever they like.
I wasn't sure about Lanka for this very reason but HR-V has been launched in Pakistan in Jan 2016 with their typical 1.5 ltr engine, 88 bhp and 145 nm torque. With Creta and S-Cross already offering 1.6 ltr engines, 1.5 ltr wont excite the enthusiasts.

I guess Honda has nothing for this segment in India.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2016 at 10:58. Reason: Spacing
Old 6th March 2016, 19:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post

The risk with gray import is you don't get aftersales/parts/warranty support and have to rely in importer or good local mechanic/outfit. Its more common for exotics where value for money is less of an issue

An official import will definitely be less hassle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks