Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 01:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs

If you all expecting Euro spec Rapid to be launched in India after facelift. Well bad news for you all, that's not gonna happen.

Both Vento and Rapid share the same underpinnings and there is no way Skoda going to bring in a whole new body work for facelift.

At most some new features and change in engine power at most.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 23:33   #17
BHPian

This is simply disappointing!

Having seen a couple of interviews of Mr. Rao I thought that he seemed to be genuinely interested in fixing things for Skoda India. Also saw the launch of new models, the Octavia, the Yeti and now the Superb - all brilliant cars in their respective segments. Kudos to that.

Mr. Rao kept saying everywhere that "18 months of consolidation followed by growth". Now usually, a company's volume (and by inference growth) driver are the lower cost models; which is the Rapid for Skoda.

What is flabbergasting is this - does Skoda India really think that a car reusing parts from the first gen Fabia will give Skoda's "volume generator" enough push to regain lost market share? Cant they just localize the international rapid?

Dumbfounded by this new "old Rapid".
sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 22:46   #18
BHPian

Having been an existing Rapid owner, I was wondering what Skoda would do to enhance this timeless beauty. Though it is high time they get the European spec - an update on the existing one is still welcome.
Glad the rear remains unchanged.

As Skoda is known to share from the same parts bin I have a hunch that the headlights on the face lifted version are from the Skoda Citigo.

At least the outline of the headlight looks similar. Except that the gap between the grill and the headlight on the Rapid is more than the narrower Citigo which has it touching to the grill. However they appear more elongated on the Rapid than the Citigo in a similar fashion.

I maybe wrong though. If these are the headlights that will be on the newer Rapid then I am happy having the older ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-1457456716014.jpg  

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-1457456751180.jpg  

Last edited by ciddharth : 8th March 2016 at 22:48.
ciddharth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 17:26   #19
BHPian

Smacks of a clear cut mandate from VAG to Skoda India to underplay the Rapid to reduce completion with Vento,
VW brand has already taken severe beating after the emission scandal,
A Euro spec/look Rapid will certainly kill Vento's market,
Old 19th March 2016, 21:01   #20
BANNED

If skoda can launch new octavia & superb then what's problem they having to introduce the new shape rapid, really annoyed with their thinking. In my opinion they have to stop putting make on old ladies instead give the real thing.
Grill doesn't look like of euro rapid, nor bumper is new, headlights looks different though.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda's facelift Rapid spied!

As in VW's Ameo and the upcoming Vento facelift the diesel mill will be the updated one( at a later stage after the facelift release)

Quote:
this more powerful diesel unit is expected to launch a few months after the launch of the facelifted car.
As stated earlier, the design will be in lines of the New Octavia and International Rapid models. Likely to be a festive season release.

Quote:
the updated Rapid will get sheet metal changes like an all-new bonnet and grille while the front bumpers and headlights along with front fenders will also get design tweaks. The refreshed styling is more in line with Skoda's current design language, as seen on the Octavia and the Rapid on sale in international markets.
Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_extraimages_20160405123546_rapidx1.jpg
Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_extraimages_20160405123552_rapidx3.jpg
Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_extraimages_20160405123551_rapidx2.jpg
Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_extraimages_20160405123553_rapidx4.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-401143.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th April 2016 at 13:00.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 14:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious to note that it takes over 2 years to develop a facelift that is almost identical to the newer Skoda cars ! Also isn't the facelift coming in too late in the day ?
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 14:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is not funny Skoda!!!

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-blink.jpg

I am still having the above feeling.

I could not unfortunately even term this as a facelift.
Why this fiasco? It wasnt required.
Old 5th April 2016, 15:02   #24
BHPian

With this facelift model due for festive season launch and one more round of Polo/Vento makeover planned, I have a hunch that MQB based cars in India will be delayed further and new gen models won`t be launched anytime before 2019.
Old 5th April 2016, 17:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The Rapid sold in the Indian market is powered by a 1.6-litre TSI petrol motor and a 1.5-litre TDI diesel motor
Really 1.6 TSI?
Source - http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st.../1/635667.html
Old 6th April 2016, 10:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I could not unfortunately even term this as a facelift.
Why this fiasco? It wasnt required.
The actual facelift is hidden by smart camouflage which makes it look like the existing design. Look closely and you will see white cladding atop the grille, around the headlights, the foglights and the rear bumper. Those alloys look sad though!

And I hope that stupid chrome bit on top of the headlight is also part of the fake cladding and will be removed.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 10:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The actual facelift is hidden by smart camouflage which makes it look like the existing design. Look closely and you will see white cladding atop the grille, around the headlights, the foglights and the rear bumper. Those alloys look sad though!

And I hope that stupid chrome bit on top of the headlight is also part of the fake cladding and will be removed.
Dear Deet

I had observed the cladding. Yet the silhouettes do not give away anything radical.
The alloys are sad and you are absolutely spot on in mentioning that.
Somehow, I always get the feeling that the Rapid gets a step brotherly treatment against the Vento!!
Old 8th April 2016, 21:26   #28
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

The headlight / grille integration which is seen on the Euro Rapid is missing;

Attachment 1482770

Also the tail lamps on the Euro Rapid are different & in the Indian facelift there is no adaptation of the Euro styling.

Attachment 1482771
I was starting to get interested in the 2016 revision of Skoda Rapid in Europe. It looks much more stylish and contemporary with edges rather than curves. The new tail light design is really cool. Same with the dashboard design (pic).

http://www.caradvice.com.au/334052/2...rior-revealed/

The new Rapid could be a much better offering than the current model and the Vento. If Skoda is not bringing the full change to India it will be a dampener.
LandCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 21:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
The new Rapid could be a much better offering than the current model and the Vento. If Skoda is not bringing the full change to India it will be a dampener.
Sad to say, It would be a dampener and nothing close to the EU spec version.

But lets hope for the best
Old 8th April 2016, 22:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

The "new Rapid" is a "face and tail" - lift job only. It has no connection with the EU Rapid - which is based on a completely different platform.

What a birdie says : is that VAG / Skoda is tweaking the turbo and there may be a minor bump up in power. But that too is now being put through multiple magnifying glasses because of - no prizes for guessing - emissions, as VAG/Skoda does not want to take any chance; however remote it may be w.r.t. to tail pipe gases.

Expect new paint shades and a tweak to the upholstery fabric & infotainment system. No coloured MID or Ford like SYNC system though. Also no side or curtain airbags.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks