Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 12:26   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs

Mod Note: Our Rapid Facelift report has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion on the new thread. Thanks!

Rapid facelift on test, launch in 2016

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-2016skodarapidfaceliftfront1.jpg

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-2016skodarapidfaceliftrear.jpg

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-2016skodarapidfaceliftspied.jpg

http://www.motorbeam.com/2016/03/car...ch-later-year/

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2016 at 22:09. Reason: Adding link to report :)
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 13:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

The only change i see is on the grille / bonnet & may be the foglamps too.

The headlight / grille integration which is seen on the Euro Rapid is missing;

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-skodaeuroncap684x456.jpg

Also the tail lamps on the Euro Rapid are different & in the Indian facelift there is no adaptation of the Euro styling.

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-skodarapidskodaoctaviaindiarear_thumb.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 4th March 2016 at 13:19.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 13:20   #3
BHPian

Finally ! Skoda decides to work on the Indian Rapid and make it look like its also part of the family !

Seeing the spy pics i have an uncanny feeling there is some difference ( exterior) between this and the global rapid - or is just a feeling?

Pics from Skoda Auto website
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-rapid_global2.png  

Attached Images

The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 13:56   #4
BHPian

Disappointing to say the least at least on the exterior looks (bonnet and grille) front. These are evident signs that Mahindra design has taken over. The look of the new Rapid's grille looks like a reworked Logan's (Verito's) grille. This is to say, most pathetic looking Rapid compared to the internationally launched Rapid. I really hope that Mahindra Design does not use their "creative brains" and sticks to the international edition's looks ESPECIALLY ON THE BONNET AND GRILLE styling !

Really disappointed !
Old 4th March 2016, 17:53   #5
BHPian

Certainly not the real international version we all were hoping for. Its seems like a stop gap measure where they are just trying to make it look like the real thing. International Rapid is an all new vehicle while this seems to be the same old car with slight modifications. Disappointed to say the least!
Old 4th March 2016, 21:23   #6
BHPian

While I was not exactly expecting it to be like the International Rapid (which is a completely different car), I was still disappointed to see this look-alike-international design changes. The changes are very minimal and a normal person would pass it off as the regular Rapid. Having got excited with the Vento updates in the Auto-show, i was expecting the new LED headlamp treatment at least. May be the projector headlamp version might look a little better. Also, hoping this one too gets the 110 HP spec engine as the 2016 Vento facelift is expected to come with. I don`t know when VAG is going to scrap this age old design & bring the International one with MQB platform.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 22:47   #7
BHPian

Its not same as the Euro one, Definitely.
Disappointing to say the least, I feel like it's literal sabotage by VW, so Rapid does not become more premium than Vento.
I don't understand their strategy, Rapid comes out to be much more mature and better car then Vento in many aspects,
My personal opinion, not judging and no offense to anybody thinking otherwise,

But, I am kind of happy as well, (being selfish..) this update is not better in any way to my 2014 Skoda Rapid.
I tormented myself, for some time, weather to go for existing Rapid or to wait for this update,
I am glad I did not wait for a Year to get disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
Disappointing to say the least at least on the exterior looks (bonnet and grille) front. These are evident signs that Mahindra design has taken over. The look of the new Rapid's grille looks like a reworked Logan's (Verito's) grille. This is to say, most pathetic looking Rapid compared to the internationally launched Rapid. I really hope that Mahindra Design does not use their "creative brains" and sticks to the international edition's looks ESPECIALLY ON THE BONNET AND GRILLE styling !

Really disappointed !
Old 5th March 2016, 10:29   #8
BANNED

re: Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs

Was it some rocket science to just copy paste the International Rapid's face onto this one? Why outsource the whole thing to Mahindra and end up with this? Or is it that Skoda Rapid shouldn't look more premium than Volkswagen Vento? With Octavia and Superb having brilliant front end, this Rapid is an aberration.
Old 5th March 2016, 23:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Had visited a Skoda Showroom in Bangalore today as part of a TD for a friend. Was chatting with the SA and he was casually asking what car I drive etc.. , I told him it was the Vento TSI.

Then he said that there is a Rapid face-lift coming later this year (which of course I knew from the scoop pics reported here) and as part of the face lift the Rapid will also get the 1.2 TSI for the Petrol Automatic and also several features from the Octavia.

Not sure how reliable it is, but the fact that he volunteered the info without any specific questions from my side lent it some credibility.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 23:43   #10
BHPian

Doesn't look much of a facelift imo looking at these pics, I've developed an averse feeling towards anything Skoda after reading a lot of horror stories lately, hope they regain at least some of that lost trust in the future.
Old 6th March 2016, 00:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Was it some rocket science to just copy paste the International Rapid's face onto this one? Why outsource the whole thing to Mahindra and end up with this?.

Are you serious? I mean, is Skoda outsourcing design elements to Mahindra? I hope you are just joking due to the similarities.
Old 6th March 2016, 11:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing

Good if there is a facelift. The Rapid is now one of the most feature laden cars in the segment, and real value for money.

The headlights are more rectangular than curvy and the bonnet is different (clam-shell), both like the international Rapid. The fog lamps look like they are masked in white and so might be different, and there is a diffuser moulded into the lower section of the rear bumper. Also the chrome strip on the front around the logo looks thicker.

These are not huge changes imho. I can't think why they would modify the bonnet that much without changing the front logo section to the group's "Mission-L" design.

On a separate note, I'm missing a whole lot if this now looks like a Mahindra 😳😄

Last edited by VeluM : 6th March 2016 at 11:04.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 12:23   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Are you serious? I mean, is Skoda outsourcing design elements to Mahindra? I hope you are just joking due to the similarities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
On a separate note, I'm missing a whole lot if this now looks like a Mahindra 😳😄
Hi pamiboy and VeluM
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahindra-engineering-services-working-skoda-rapid-facelift
Hope this clears the doubts.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 13:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post

Hope this clears the doubts.

Nope, this just says who worked on it. Doesn't prove it looks like a Mahindra as some people have said. Skoda would certainly have given them a design language and theme to work with, plus the limitations due to Skoda's love for using parts from their existing bin in this car - which is why the head and fog lights from the previous generation Fabia are an exact fit in the Rapid.

We'll have to get better/unmasked pictures to properly see the changes, but I like them all with the exception of the fat chrome strip.

I also hope they introduce the TSI with a manual gearbox rather than DSG.
Old 6th March 2016, 18:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

This looks anything but a refresh. I mean there seems to be not much of an effort that Skoda has made. The rear is almost the same, even the tail lights seem just like the earlier one. When the refreshed vento came out it sported a different tail light cluster. And the front of this so called refreshed rapid is a little non cohesive. Actually the earlier design was easily a classic. Refresh should have concentrated on better interiors etc. I'm not sure what is Skoda's future strategy. Would they base the next rapid on the new vento on 2017 or would they try to bring their own sedan/ hatch combo?

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2016 at 10:43. Reason: Typos
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks