Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2016, 12:29   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Is the 1.6 MPI a new engine? Any feedback on the same, preferably with an AT box. My guesstimate in city traffic FE would be around 8~9 kmpl.
Have been satisfied by the 1st lot Octavia Diesel and the A4 Diesel usage in the past and am more inclined towards the Diesel Engine of an European Car.
1.6 MPI is an Old Engine, it is available since Early 2010, Vento had it before it was replaced by 1.2 TSI. I would suggest you to look at Diesel which is much better in terms of Performance & Efficiency. It also has a DSG Gearbox unlike Petrol which has a Torque Converter.

I would suggest you to get Petrol version only if you like it more then Diesel post Test Driving one & off course if the dealer provides huge discount (>1.5 lakhs). Also keep in mind, Rapid Petrol hardly sells.

Since you already have BR-V CVT, the next best choice in that 10-15 lakhs range is Vento TSI
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 13:01   #167
BHPian

Skoda is going all out to woo customers with features & offers, but has there been a change in the way their dealerships whip their customers?
if not then what ever they are doing would ultimately go down the drain, but if they are serious about our market & are revisiting their old theories & practices then I believe eventually even people will put things behind & move on, after all they build good looking well built cars
Old 4th November 2016, 13:36   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
I would suggest you to look at Diesel which is much better in terms of Performance & Efficiency. It also has a DSG Gearbox unlike Petrol which has a Torque Converter.

I would suggest you to get Petrol version only if you like it more then Diesel post Test Driving one & off course if the dealer provides huge discount (>1.5 lakhs). Also keep in mind, Rapid Petrol hardly sells.

Since you already have BR-V CVT, the next best choice in that 10-15 lakhs range is Vento TSI
Thanks. Will drop the Petrol Rapid and check the Diesel one. The Colour & Feature list make me look towards the Skoda rather than VW.

Quote:
but has there been a change in the way their dealerships whip their customers?
4 Years prepaid service at 30,000/- with 4 years warranty is introduced to bury the old perceptions. Hopefully the service centres have learnt their lesson.
Old 4th November 2016, 13:43   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Will drop the Petrol Rapid and check the Diesel one. The Colour & Feature list make me look towards the Skoda rather than VW.
Yes. The Rapid is better equipped then Vento. I had recommended Vento TSi as it is much better then Rapid Petrol AT. If Diesel, it comes down to personal liking. Rapid is a good car no doubt, new one is much improved.

Quote:
4 Years prepaid service at 30,000/- with 4 years warranty is introduced to bury the old perceptions. Hopefully the service centres have learnt their lesson.
Before getting this, I would suggest you to do quick calculation on Service Cost at Intervals of 1 yr/15k kms.
The average cost should be around 8-9k. If it saves you higher then expected, then you can opt for it.
Old 4th November 2016, 14:44   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
it's very difficult to decide between the Ameo Diesel DSG Highline or pay 4L more and go for new Rapid 1.5 TDI AT Style specially when it has the same engine, gear box and near identical features spac,e being not a constraint for me.
If you are not going to have tall boys sitting in your back seat all the time and you are not going to be on long holidays with lot of luggage. And if you can live with compact sedan looks. It makes sense to go with the Ameo Diesel DSG. If you're driving isnt too much, you could consider the Polo TSI as well.
Old 4th November 2016, 15:01   #171
BHPian

I am really torn between the Diesel MT and the Linea TJet as I am scouting for my next FTD Sedan.

However I was surprised that there was minimal comment from the Skoda management about their efforts to improve pre/post sales customer experience. What worries me more now is even though the prepaid service package might be a good gesture, this might put the service folks in a mode wherein on seeing a customer driving in their vehicle with a prepaid package would be subjected to secondary treatment or in extreme cases might also subject the car to improper service as they would know they cant fleece him by dumping unwarranted changes, so why not just say we have changed the engine oil whereas we haven't actually.

I guess more than the MNCs operating in India, we should ask for stricter consumer rights, as that would put tighter restrictions and deterrents in place through out the supply chain.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th November 2016 at 18:36. Reason: Formatting and spacing for better readability. Please preview the post before submitting them. Thanks :)
Old 4th November 2016, 15:37   #172

Skoda Rapid facelift Walkaround Video

Walkaround video of the facelifted 2016 Skoda Rapid by Velocigear YouTube Channel.

Source : Velocigear
rageraver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 22:50   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
I am really torn between the Diesel MT and the Linea TJet as i am scouting for my next FTD Sedan.
I guess more than the MNCs operating in India, we should ask for stricter consumer rights, as that would put tighter restrictions and deterrents in place through out the supply chain.
Are you looking at the power delivery aspect of the engines? Then it is a difficult choice. Linea T-Jet 125S is a great package with a hydraulic steering and all four disk brakes. In the deisel MT of the Rapid, you have the power and many features which Linea does not have. Better average too, of course. But I think the T-Jet should be still better to drive. If the choice were between diesel MTs of both (well, Linea doesn't have an AT anyway), you can just go for Rapid for the more powerful engine. I have been thinking of diesel MTs only.

I agree with you fully on the point on customer rights. The MNCs are simply let loose here, like even the giant builders. There should be greater controls on how they treat consumers. And also, on the safety equipment. Safety equipment like ABS is still not mandatory here.

Vip.
Old 4th November 2016, 23:44   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Are you looking at the power delivery aspect of the engines? Then it is a difficult choice. Linea T-Jet 125S is a great package with a hydraulic steering and all four disk brakes. In the deisel MT of the Rapid, you have the power and many features which Linea does not have. Better average too, of course. But I think the T-Jet should be still better to drive. If the choice were between diesel MTs of both (well, Linea doesn't have an AT anyway), you can just go for Rapid for the more powerful engine. I have been thinking of diesel MTs only.
Vip.
Well the FTD factor is my primary concern and the 4xDiscs + Hydraulic steering is what is ripping me apart. If only Fiat put in some effort to tweak the efficiency.
For the Skoda more than the features, the power + mileage factor is most appealing to me.The upgraded looks is just adding on the appeal.
I intend to use this car extensively for outstation trips!

Last edited by adneo : 4th November 2016 at 23:48.
Old 5th November 2016, 01:20   #175
e46
BHPian

The car looks sharper, a much needed facelift. I fail to understand though, whats this never ending love of OEMs with beige color inside the cabin. There is a impression among all of them, that beige is an upmarket and more executive color choice.

A black trim would do wonders imo and would enhance the sporty appeal.

Abhishek
Old 5th November 2016, 11:47   #176
BHPian

I took a TD ( around 2~2.5 kms in traffic + 600 metres of free road) of the Diesel Rapid DSG last night and came out unimpressed. I don't know what I was expecting, but I felt that,
1) Power was insufficient to move the car from standstill to 20~30. I got a chance to floor it once and the torque kicked in once I crossed maybe 35 kms on the odo
2) The accelerator felt heavy vis-a vis the petrols I have been driving or even the old Innova's that I so look forward to replace. It needed 'sufficient' effort to use in bumper to bumper traffic.
3) The cabin left me unimpressed.
4) 2nd row is dull and there is a big hump in between, making 3rd passenger sitting uncomfortable. To be driven around with a driver won't be exciting.
5) The MID displayed 8 kmpl on the DSG version and the car was a brand new Silky Blue, which had done around 200 kms on the odo.

A few more things that I noticed.

a) The DRL's are not permanently on. You need to switch it on.
b) The Silky Blue looks awesome, but long term usage in cities like Mumbai will make the colour look dull, if not maintained well.
c) The Flame red is the same as on VW and Audi.

In my personal opnion, I would opt for a Honda City than a Diesel Rapid, but then again a 2nd TD ( if the need is felt) could change my mind.
riteshritesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 11:14   #177
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Adithya Subramanain for sharing these showroom pics!

Brochure - NewSkodaRapid-Leaflet.pdf

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-1.jpg

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-2.jpg

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-3.jpg

Skoda Rapid facelift caught testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.35 lakhs-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 13:03   #178
BHPian

Quote:
I took a TD ( around 2~2.5 kms in traffic + 600 metres of free road) of the Diesel Rapid DSG last night and came out unimpressed.
=======
In my personal opnion, I would opt for a Honda City than a Diesel Rapid, but then again a 2nd TD ( if the need is felt) could change my mind.
I have not driven the new one but your observations on the TD are mostly true for the outgoing Rapid as well. It's a little bit sluggish to start from the standstill when you weigh it against a competent petrol manual or NA engines, say Honda City, though I don't think power is insufficient. Accelerator is comparatively heavy but then on bumper-to-bumper traffic, the creep function is quite helpful to mask that and on speedier lanes, you would not notice the heaviness. If you plan to be driven around, then you should stop considering Rapid right away. Ciaz, City, Sunny/Scala, and even Etios are better off for that case.

But as most of us would agree, no other automatic in the class, City Automatic included, can touch the Rapid-Vento DSGs on a fast lane or the highway where they are on a different league altogether. The stability on high speeds, quick gear shifts and power on tap are brilliant. Unfortunately there is no 'complete' car in this segment, probably more so than any other. When I completed by TDs, I felt Rapid DSG was my best choice as it gives 90% of Linea T-Jets riding/handling capabilities and 90% of Ciaz Diesel's efficiency with an automatic convenience added. The efficiency would be low on short, dense traffic situations but improves tremendously on longer stretches because of the 7 gears and quick gearshifts. I chose it because I would use the car for highway and long hauls and because there will rarely be a 5th passenger for my trips
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 13:27   #179
BHPian

Is the painting process/quality the same as the VW Vento's?
Old 6th November 2016, 14:09   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Is the painting process/quality the same as the VW Vento's?
Yes, Rapid & Vento are produced at same Plant at Chakan near Pune. Hence you see some colors carried from Ameo (Silk Blue, Carbon Steel). This isn't new though. Hence you see same quality levels of paint across models.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed