Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 19:40   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatics gaining market-share in big cities?

By 2020, 15% of new cars sold in India will be automatics .
Quote:
The worsening traffic situation in most Indian cities is one of the major motivating factors for acceptance of the AT-equipped vehicles, as it considerably reduces the fatigue level of the driver during bumper-to-bumper traffic movement. Also, the declining cost differential between manual and automatic gearboxes, due to maturity in technology, has resulted in the rising trend of AT in models offered by OEMs. The introduction of automatic manual transmission (AMT) variants has been a key growth driver for improving penetration of AT in overall PV sales.
Quote:
AT is still considered a luxury feature amongst Indian car buyers, though rising awareness and usage of AT in entry level cars is slowly resulting in improving acceptance/penetration of AT in the domestic PV market. At present, the automatic transmission option is available in entry-level cars like the Tata Nano and Maruti Alto K10, catering to a much wider car audience as compared to the AT option available few years ago in the Rs 700,000-plus price bracket.
Automatics gaining market-share in big cities?-3.jpg

Automatics gaining market-share in big cities?-1.jpg
Automatics gaining market-share in big cities?-2.jpg

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th August 2016 at 19:46.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 19:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

I was always someone who rooted for automatics. I learnt on an Ambassador and then was quickly handed a large Chevy V8 Aito because no one wanted it and it was the only car i could be given so i love them. To add the traffic issues today and that there are so many women drivers (More power to them) i feel automatics entered the Indian auto scene at least a couple of years late. With the advent of AMTs the price has steadily dropped and once a person has tasted blood, hes never returning to a manual. Of course not talking about whack jobs like most of us here who yearn for a BMW M3 in an auto guise just because it will not auto shift to the next gear if the engine thinks the GB is being taxed. Let me tell u that driving an automatic car in the manual mode is just not the same thing, even of it has paddle shifts. A stick shift is a stick shift, yet,if i had to drive in the Bombay traffic regularly at peak traffic hours id go for the smallest automatic i can buy. An AMT NANO or a Maruti will just be the best option here.
Its great to see that car companies have started recognizing that the market for automatics is growing hugely and what is better even is that the domestic companies have started the auto brigade when it is probably easier for the Foreign players to accommodate. Maruti, Mahindra, Tata have paved the way for Renault and others to go AMT, go auto!! Loving it.
Old 13th August 2016, 19:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

Yes - more power to AT vehicles!
I've been using them for the past 10 years and there's no going back.
I actually thought that the Indian market had grown to double digits in AT variants. Obviously a very long way to go.
Old 13th August 2016, 20:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
By 2020, 15% of new cars sold in India will be automatics..
In the cars listed under CVT against Renault-Nissan, Nissan Micra CVT is not mentioned.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 13th August 2016 at 20:15.
Old 13th August 2016, 20:17   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
+1 to that.

As much as I admire the convenience of an automatic for the daily bumper to bumper traffic commute to office, I will still swear by a manual any day!

There is something in the way that you row through the gears that just cannot be replaced by an auto - even one with paddle shifts. The fun of braking late, and using that engine braking by dropping down a couple of gears and hearing that throttle blip just cannot be experienced the same way in an automatic. Similarly, getting into the right gear just before an overtake or getting into a corner, and then accelerating out of the corner at full throttle - it just has to be done the old fashioned way for me! What can I say - I love things mechanical and would continue to drive manuals till they exist! ...
+1 to that. That's exactly how I feel when I drive our X1. My better half who's grown up driving a variety of A/T's has mastered the art of extracting the maximum out of them and fails to understand why I am never as confident in our car and keep saying I miss my fiesta
😂😂

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks