Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2016, 20:00   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Brezza effect: Ford reduces EcoSport price by up to 1.12 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Ecosport is way superior comparing to Brezza - Or Can I say Brezza is overpriced before hitting the market?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
most mature owners would hope the industry adopted a longer warranty commitment & possibly AMC options too.
Interesting to see that the TUV300 does not really feature in any of the comparison and comments on this thread. It checks almost all the boxes when compared to the Trend+ Ecosport, except for
1. Auto AC
2. Telescopic steering wheel
3. DRL
4. 60:40 rear seat split

Its tuned to city driving and while its larger in size, its not difficult to drive in city conditions. Add to that the 100K kms 3 Year warranty with an option to extend it to 120k kms 5 years for 15K INR, this should have been a real option for anyone looking at a compact SUV in the 10L range.

But reality is that M&M image and the boxy design of the TUV combined with the low FE does not really excite the 'Kitna deti hai' crowd.

Nobody looks at the bigger picture of total cost of ownership as the average indian owns a car for max of 5 years and drives it for about 25-30K kms, primarily within the city (my assumptions). A quick comparison of the TCO for Brezza VDI+, Ecosport Trend+ & TUV T8 would be as below
Name:  TCO1.PNG
Views: 6420
Size:  15.7 KB

Assumptions:
1. Mileage is over a period of 5 years with 70% city driving
2. Avg Diesel price Rs 50 per liter
3. Assumed that in a 5 year ownership period, number of services can be anywhere between 8-10
4. Service cost for Ford & MSIL assumed to be higher due to lower mileage cover and also the general perception of higher cost
5. On road cost - Bangalore

Even if you take a longer term view with about 70K on the Odo and 70% of this on highway speeds, the variable cost of ownership is almost similar for all 3 vehicles
Name:  TCO2.PNG
Views: 4856
Size:  16.2 KB

Hence FE should not really be a benchmark when it comes to selecting a car as Service cost plays a greater role than FE when it comes to owning a car. This is where Maruti's strategy needs to be appreciated. Sell the car to the masses claiming extraordinary efficiency while fleecing them over longer periods of time in the name of 'excellent service'.

Looks like the TUV & KUV will be facing the heat from the brezza & ecosport given that the KUV K8 Diesel costs 8.5L on road in Bangalore. M&M will surely have to offer discounts on both these products if it wants to hold on to the numbers it was doing over the last few months.

Last edited by procrj : 13th March 2016 at 20:05.
procrj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 20:13   #92
BHPian

First thing first, a surprisingly proactive move from Ford. Maruti recently did the same with S-Cross, but after trying all other tricks including offering jaw-dropping discounts. I feel a transparent price-cut is way superior over the same in the guise of discount.

Besides, this has made Ecosport price more appropriate to its positioning. It also has restricted the price headroom for Maruti Brezza. All said and done, Ecosport appears a superior product of the two though brand strength is in favour of Brezza.

A few other equations have potential to get affected with this action. The point about Abarth is already made but that anyway is a super-niche product. It will be worth to note that Ecoboost Trend+ now is about 1L cheaper OTR compared to GT-TSI. Ecosport is as tough and sporty, beside offering something more. And there certainly are few who do not love AT or have apprehension about DSG.

Further, the price point of lower trims of Ecosport 1.5L Petrol scores over the higher trims of Baleno & i10. It was already the case to some extent, but current price revision has both broaden the gap and accentuated the point. Maybe the Ford gets some PR benefit here too.

Overall, great for the customer and most will be loving the move as well as the trend in general.

Last edited by rsm97 : 13th March 2016 at 20:17.
Old 13th March 2016, 20:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

Ok - I bought the Ecosport Diesel Trend+ for on road price of 9.67 - swapping the wheels on delivery with MOMO dark grey alloys and some good tyres.

So I should have all that matters but much better alloys & tyres :-) costing lesser than TITANIUM - the few omissions on the Trend+ vs Titanium were not really worth the extra price to my mind. Car should be with me once the bank loan is processed tomorrow.

Cheers to that ! Way to go FORD
Ricky_63 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 21:40   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok - I bought the Ecosport Diesel Trend+ for on road price of 9.67
Congrats , from Pajero to EcoSport ? or is this for someone else in family. Can you share breakup of costs , I am also looking to buy one for my upcountry office.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th March 2016 at 21:42.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:11   #95
Senior - BHPian

Good move by Ford. But on the same time, I still feel that it is kind of cheating with customers who bought their cars earlier. Maruti did this with S-Cross. Honda did it with the City a couple of years back.

Any ways, this price cut will keep the competition healthy. With Brezza in market, it was obvious for Ford to respond quickly.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:27   #96
BHPian

Great tactical move from Ford. I bought the pre facelift ecosport in October. So feeling a little bit of pain but guess this is bound to happen. I think ford has been doing extremely well. The figo,aspire, ecosport and endeavour are all great products. I have had good experiences in during service also. Beats me why the sales numbers dont reflect this effort. As many have pointed out the marketing might be not effective. Pretty sure in ford HQ a lot of PPT's and meeting are discussing the same issue.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:48   #97
BHPian

Excellent move from Ford! I did think that Suzuki would just run away with the market share, but Ford has upped its game as well.

Personally, I'd go for the Eco Sport over the Brezza due to better build, handling etc. That said though, I feel like it is a serious alternative to the City and likes.
Old 14th March 2016, 00:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Interesting to see that the TUV300 does not really feature in any of the comparison and comments on this thread. It checks almost all the boxes when compared to the Trend+ Ecosport, except for
1. Auto AC
2. Telescopic steering wheel
3. DRL
4. 60:40 rear seat split
Very interesting observations, thanks for pointing out!

I chose Ecosport not just for the above options, but also because

1) It's more 'tried & tested in Indian conditions' by now. Also it's an international product, with a better design.

2) 30k kms Over 5 years !? I (and most people I know) plan to use a car for atleast 18-20k km per annum, thats 1L kms.

(If one plans a few long drives extra over the year, additional 10k kms doesn't take long to reach. So let's assume 1.5L kms over 5 years.)

3) Overall Servicing costs could be ~1 Lakh, or probably go higher, hence my insistence of an (gold) AMC plan.

4) My personal serious dislike of how Mahindra treats a customer after 5th year. I've seen HV Kumar struggle alot with them.

In any case, maybe in general TUV does have some advantages for those who prefer it.

KUV I can't say, I hated the design so bad that (even being as keen as I usually am) I chose to stay ignorant about its features. Sorry.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th March 2016 at 00:40. Reason: Numbered the points
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 08:36   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
1) It's more 'tried & tested in Indian conditions' by now. Also it's an international product, with a better design.
Agreed
Quote:
2) 30k kms Over 5 years !? I (and most people I know) plan to use a car for atleast 18-20k km per annum, thats 1L kms.
Folks on HVK & TBHP are outliers who generally prefer driving over any other mode of transport. I am talking about the average Indian from the tier 1 & tier 2 cities for whom a car is just a way to get from point A to point B.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 09:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

This is an great move by Ford though one can say it has been one of those rare ones where they have tried to safeguard their highest selling horse.

Own an EcoSport Titanium TDCi (pre updates) for over a year now and must say it brings on a smile every time I drive it. The vehicle has absolutely zero niggles and rattles till date and that says quite a bit about its build quality.

Just one post in the Brezza review at Auto Expo by GTO shows the real difference-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3904594

Look at the pic where he says -

The Brezza effect: Ford reduces EcoSport price by up to 1.12 lakhs-0b.jpg
Quote:
Black interiors. Door has none of the EcoSport's thud. Doorpad gets a silver insert and a bottle holder + pocket. Fabric insert around the armrest too. When is Maruti going to get over the power window console of the 1st-gen Swift :
The safety feel that one gets in an heavily built EcoSport is absolutely reassuring. Just look at the numbers quoted below from the official EcoSport review thread-

The Brezza effect: Ford reduces EcoSport price by up to 1.12 lakhs-ford-ecosport-comparison-technical.jpeg

Brezza weight (source website)-
Quote:
Kerb Weight (kg) 1170 ~ 1195
Yes you read it right it is a whopping 50kgs heavier than the Duster and Brezza

With the latest price cuts the price is the same as to what I had bought a year ago after which there have been one price hike + excise duty increase + higher taxes due to over 10 lakh price bracket. All this has been now cancelled due to the latest price drop.

One thing for sure it makes a very compelling reason to buy an EcoSport now!
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:06   #101
BHPian

I think Ford overreacted to the situation.
We all should be agreeing upon the fact Ecosport was overpriced from day one. But how much do they drop prices they can't beat Fresh Appeal of a New Maruti. People will run for any new car first.

But frightened Ford hurt their existing customer base by this price cut.
Drop of 1.25 lakhs will hurt resale value of car badly and in turn may hurt brand value.

Let's see.
Old 14th March 2016, 10:06   #102
BHPian

My friend took delivery of the Ford Ecosport on the previous day and hence when I broke the news to him, he was shocked. Since the new pricing is below 10 lakhs, he has paid 1.5 lakhs more and missed it by a day. I know its a regular market practice but this is a bit too much to digest. His resale value is also hit in the long run.
Old 14th March 2016, 10:10   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
My friend took delivery of the Ford Ecosport on the previous day and hence when I broke the news to him, he was shocked. Since the new pricing is below 10 lakhs, he has paid 1.5 lakhs more and missed it by a day. I know its a regular market practice but this is a bit too much to digest. His resale value is also hit in the long run.
Ask him to send a mail to Ford (higher ups and not customer care). Don't expect much in return but worth a try. You never know.

The fact that he chose the Ecosport over others at the higher price atleast will show that he had confidence in the Ford. This might strike a chord with them.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th March 2016 at 10:11.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:14   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ask him to send a mail to Ford. Don't expect much in return but worth a try. You never know.
Yes I have given him the email IDs and told him to vent his frustration. I am hoping he gets some accessories at least to reduce the heart burn but still its a big hit.
Old 14th March 2016, 10:32   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Similar thing happened to me with Mahindra Reva E2O. I bought it in Feb 2015.

I had a hunch that budget may provide some subsidy for electric vehicles, so was delaying purchase decision. Mahindra Reva promised me (in mail) that they would compensate me if subsidy is announced in budget 2015.

The govt. did announce an EV promotion in budget, but did not specify or notify the exact subsidy till April 8th. Mahindra made a legal argument to me, that they aren't liable to pay me, as the amount wasn't declared as part of budget, but was done later!!

The stinker was that, in March 2015, the company itself announced a 1Lakh discount (anticipating people waiting out for the budget promise). Thus I was deprived of the discount or the promised subsidy...

Bottomline : My car value reduced by Rs.1Lakh in matter of month+

Disgusting practices by Car makers. Skim the market if they can. Overprice if they can get away with it...

Most Viewed