Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 15:22   #346
BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Another situation, need advise

Want to bring MH registered car to Bangalore for 2 months, what do i need to do (apart from service record, toll receipts etc.) to avoid the harassment?

This move is suppose to happen in July mid, will we have a verdict by then?
Old 14th June 2016, 15:33   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am all for drive with out borders. But here the issue is how long you can stay with out registering an out of state car in Karnataka. A gentleman from Goa has reacted passionately few pages back with out giving a thought to why his own home state charge Rs250 as entry fees for every vehicle for reasons only known to them.
A period of 30 days for paying LTT will sound harsh but if you extent to 1 year, every one is gonna claim they have been in the city for less than a year. All they may need is a toll receipt from visiting another state which any way every one is going to undertake at least once in a year.
What we need rules for ease of refund from the parent state and option to pay taxes for short durations in the state where you are staying.
Why should the onus be on the users? I understand that the reason for this road tax mess is that it is a state subject rather than a center. If that is so, why can't I as a user just go to an RTO in a new state and "register" their for a small fees and then it should be up them and the other state's RTO to exchange tax money between them. Why should I pay here first and then claim refund elsewhere. There are solutions to these problems, no one really wants to find them. It is easier to just harass the public because what can we do?
Old 14th June 2016, 15:36   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Another situation, need advise

Want to bring MH registered car to Bangalore for 2 months, what do i need to do (apart from service record, toll receipts etc.) to avoid the harassment?

This move is suppose to happen in July mid, will we have a verdict by then?

Please get your service records,insurance papers,Toll receipts and if possible, proof of residence of MH as well.

We are all awaiting for the verdict with bated breath.

Waseem Memon.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:07   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

We need uniform tax across India so there is no delta to pay. I think even in developed nation you need to abide by state law and will have to even renew license and get your local plates*(in US atleast).
+1.

The democratic structure of US is in many ways different from ours (Read British adaptation). The primary structure allows unrestricted access for each citizen to visit/stay/reside at any location within the political territory of the Nation (also called as fundamental right).

However, individuals are deprived of this right just because the States are unclear and /or are unwilling to harmonize with the Central Motor Vehicles Act. As someone else suggested in this forum, having tax collection booths at entry points is also a better solution.

It’s high time the Ministry of Surface Transport takes the plunge and makes amendments to this system so that a citizen is not deprived of his fundamental rights.
Old 14th June 2016, 16:12   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Why should the onus be on the users? I understand that the reason for this road tax mess is that it is a state subject rather than a center. If that is so, why can't I as a user just go to an RTO in a new state and "register" their for a small fees and then it should be up them and the other state's RTO to exchange tax money between them. Why should I pay here first and then claim refund elsewhere. There are solutions to these problems, no one really wants to find them. It is easier to just harass the public because what can we do?
It's not your fault, but the transport minister gadkari has to crack the whip and make the bureaucrats work on creating a national database. They are way too casual on the issue, and are allowing a congress administration to get away with all this. This is what surprises me.
Old 14th June 2016, 16:26   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
In fact I will go to an extent saying that the number of outstate vehicles seen in Bangalore is dramatically higher than other metro cities in India and for this very reason the outstate vehicle issue gets accentuated. Or may be that more people dare more to bring outstate registered vehicles into Bangalore vis-à-vis other cities and then crib on KA government alone. Let us be just in handling the issue rather than pretending as though other places are washed in milk.
This is a very valid point. After the stay came into effect, I can see a huge number of out of state vehicles back on the road and I don't think all these cars are owned by people who have come to Bangalore for a short stay. Umpteen number of people who work in Bangalore bring their home state registered cars just to escape the higher taxation. I have friends and family members who are working in Bangalore for years now and using out of state registered vehicles. In my opinion, this trend has fueled this so called harassment. I paid the life time tax for my 2000 model CBZ when I brought it to Bangalore in 2003. And as I'm working in Bangalore, all my three cars were bought and registered here. I chose to be a law abiding citizen instead of going about saving some money.
I wholeheartedly agree that people on short visit must not be taxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
In chennai, touch would i have so far got away even with sun film. I am testing my luck and i am sure i will run out soon. With plans to travel to Bangalore, i am anyway going to remove them to avoid attention.
There is a clear mandate from the court, banning the use of sun films. Still keeping it is a violation of law, don't you agree? This is exactly what I've mentioned above. Rather than abiding by the law, people try to find excuses to circumvent the rules. In India, we have this common notion that every one other than myself should follow the law. I still believe that even if 50% of people who are here in Bangalore for a long term and using out of state vehicles had paid their taxes, we would not have had this problem in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I am campaigning very hard for One Nation-One Road Tax and have met the Union Minister Of Transport couple of times in last one year.
This is the only real solution for the problem. Differential taxation will always encourage people to save some quick bucks by bending the rules.
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:59   #352
Team-BHP Support

Usage-based taxation would put the whole "who should/shouldn't be taxed" debate to rest, permanently. EVERYONE should pay. I use roads for a day, I pay for a day. Swap 'day' with any length of time and it's fair on everyone.

The only difficulty is the state would rather spend years litigating to keep its right to act foolishly, rather than spend the same time earning sizable revenue through a system that leaves little scope for someone to dodge it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th June 2016 at 18:02.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:56   #353

If the Governments resort to collect Annual tax, compared to the Life Time Tax, the owners would end up paying in the respective states. Currently the uncertainty of getting the refunds processed is a significant deterrent for owners who move across states.
Old 15th June 2016, 00:09   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
This is a very valid point. After the stay came into effect, I can see a huge number of out of state vehicles back on the road and I don't think all these cars are owned by people who have come to Bangalore for a short stay.
I think you are not aware on the status of the case.We have won the case and the Govt has appealed against the Judgement.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3929584.

Waseem.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th June 2016 at 05:20. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 15th June 2016, 08:11   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I think you are not aware on the status of the case.We have won the case and the Govt has appealed against the Judgement.
Waseem, I know the status of the case, as I follow this thread regularly
Maybe I chose the wrong word (stay) to represent the current situation.

I, for one, am a supporter of one nation, one tax policy. I'm dead against the differential taxation what we see in our country today, be it road tax or something else. If I'm a citizen of India, I should be able to move around freely in my country and should get equal treatment. Otherwise, there is no point in telling that you are the citizen of that country. And with the advent of technology, it is not difficult to track a vehicle's movement across the country. Taxation, address of residence, refund; all these can be done online. But people/administration does not want to do that.
Old 15th June 2016, 10:03   #356
BHPian

Bit OT, but slightly related.

I stay in Hosur and commute daily to Domlur, Bangalore for my work. Now I'm buying new car and originally planned to register in Hosur, since thats where I stay. But due to the atrocious 30 day rule and RTO harassment, i decided to buy and register in bangalore. I already booked the car as well, but one of my friend says, its illegal to register in Bangalore as i do not reside here. And also what if tomorrow TN RTO guys also starts this kind of harassment :(.

I'm seriously confused and do know what to do now :(
Old 15th June 2016, 10:19   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
I stay in Hosur and commute daily to Domlur,

30 day rule
If you are residing at Hosur, you should be registering the car there. Legally and morally even the 30 days rule shouldn't bother you as you commute daily from Hosur and have documents (Toll receipts, fuel bills etc) to support your claim daily.

PS- If caught, it would be better to explain that you are staying at Hosur, working at Hosur and required to visit Bangalore occasionally for work, that too not required to stay back here overnight. Not an illegal claim, but to stay clear from the 'outsider working in Bangalore' sentiments. Yours is a genuine case but I hardly expect the cops to understand that!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 10:45   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
I stay in Hosur and commute daily to Domlur, Bangalore for my work.(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If you are residing at Hosur, you should be registering the car there.
Exactly as CrAzY dRiVeR mentioned, you should register the car in Hosur because that's where you reside and you commute to Bangalore daily for work. I've noticed that even the cops are lenient towards vehicles registered in Hosur (TN 70) because they also know that it's a genuine case. Lot of people stay in Hosur and drive to Bangalore on a daily basis, which is true for most of the bordering towns.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 11:34   #359
Senior - BHPian

I just got my 72 Fiat over from Calicut. Do I wait for the verdict or just go ahead and pay up?
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 11:49   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I just got my 72 Fiat over from Calicut. Do I wait for the verdict or just go ahead and pay up?
What would be the rules for such an old vehicle? Is it yearly tax or do you require to pay lifetime tax?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks