Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 18:27   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Where in Mumbai does this happen?

I lived in Mumbai between April 2012 and January 2017 in Goregoan East for the first two years and the rest in Powai.

I had a UP registered car drove it 27-28k during the period almost all in the City. I was stopped only once for just the out of state number (late 2016) and they let me go when I told them I was leaving Mumbai.
UP is not a ultra low tax state. In Pune I see cars from JH, PY, SK, even CH etc being stopped, KA, UP etc are stopped only if the car is seen plying on same roads for years together. A friend from Bhopal who is in Pune for four months every year once had his papers impounded and address inquiry sent by Pune police to the post office which covers his Bhopal adress. on getting a reply the papers were released.

Rahul
Old 21st July 2017, 19:56   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
UP is not a ultra low tax state. In Pune I see cars from JH, PY, SK, even CH etc being stopped, KA, UP etc are stopped only if the car is seen plying on same roads for years together. A friend from Bhopal who is in Pune for four months every year once had his papers impounded and address inquiry sent by Pune police to the post office which covers his Bhopal adress. on getting a reply the papers were released.

Rahul
I doubt the traffic Police in Pune or Bangalore targets cars from low tax states.
They will collect the same amount if the car owner is forced to pay road tax in their state. Also many times they are just looking for a bribe and an out of state vehicle is an easy target.
Old 21st July 2017, 20:23   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
With all due respect, may I request you to read the first few pages of this thread to know its significance.

If the Pune police had the time and genuine concern on your friend's case and the righteousness to release the papers without resorting to harassment (may I assume so), it has to be appreciated. However, I believe it is contrary to the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" that our judiciary is based on, putting the onus of proving innocence on the accused.

The topic of motor vehicle taxation rules and the overbearing manner in which RTOs dealt with motorists had been discussed to death on another thread.
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:10   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
With all due respect, may I request you to read the first few pages of this thread to know its significance.
I have followed your thread since the begining, my first cousin shifted to Bangalore from Mumbai, and had to pay the tax, even though he was planning to send the car back to his parents in Pune. He was planning to use the car for 6 months after which his company was providing him a car. As he had payed the tax he transferred the car and got MH tax refund, and it was not a easy process. Even I dont drive beyond Hubli / Dharwad for work, as most business folks who travel by road say that trouble starts only South of Chitradurg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
If the Pune police had the time and genuine concern on your friend's case and the righteousness to release the papers without resorting to harassment (may I assume so), it has to be appreciated.
In my friends case the papers were impounded, he did face harassment, but when he had proof of permanent address in Bhopal, that his family stayed there, and that he came every year to Pune only for 4 months, and stayed in a service apartment and not a rented or owned home, the police made him do the verification via post office before releasing his papers.

MH has no rule like KA, so I guess the police had no other option.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 10:03   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Where in Mumbai does this happen?
Almost everywhere. Perhaps you were amongst the lucky few who slipped off their "hawk eyes".

Dreams signal, bhandup, Mangatram signal, bhandup, Airoli toll, Mulund are few to name which fall within 10 kms from Powai, where you claimed to have stayed.
Old 25th July 2017, 22:02   #486
Senior - BHPian

This lady got her documents back.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-mot.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:45   #487
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

Government of Karnataka had filed the interim application for Stay at the Honourable Supreme Court in April 2017 as they had missed filing it with the Special Leave Petition ‘inadvertently’.

The Bench has posted the Karnataka Govt’s application for consideration and the case is listed for tomorrow, 4th September at Court Hall No. 2. (Sl No 1 & Case No. 49).

Our Legal counsel is very confident of blocking the request for stay and are fully prepared to defend the Judgement delivered by the Honorable High Court of Karnataka.

I will be leaving for Delhi today evening to represent you all and will keep you guys updated as soon as the case is heard.

Fingers crossed.

Waseem
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-ia.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:40   #488
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday's Deccan Herald.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-screenshot_2017090320351569.png  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-screenshot_2017090320374325.png  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 12:48   #489
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I have a great news to share with you all.

The Honourable Supreme court has rejected the plea of stay filed by the Government of Karnataka and had asked the state to refund the LTT collected after the atrocious ammendment was passed by the state legislature.

People who are desirous of seeking refund will furnish an undertaking that they will refund the amount of the SLP is decided in favour if the Gov't of Karnataka.

Our hard work of 4 years is finally paid off.Long live our Judiciary.

Jai Hind.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 13:15   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Thanks to you in no small measure, for having the determination and grit to see this through.

This is a rejection for the state's request of holding on to the LTT collected till now? I guess the broader matter of upholding or quashing the judgement of KA HC will come about later. Major relief to all the affected folks nonetheless!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 13:42   #491
BHPian

Thank You Waseem.
We cant thank you enough for the efforts you have taken to fight this atrocious taxing by the Govt of Karnataka. Though I do not have any vehicles registered outside KA, I have seen a few of my friends being harassed by the authorities and had to sent their cars back to their own states.

Does this update means that all those who had to pay this tax can claim a refund? Or will there be other ploys by the Government to further harass and delay the reimbursement?

Once again thanking you for your efforts Waseem. Jai Hind.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 14:15   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

The Honourable Supreme court has rejected the plea of stay filed by the Government of Karnataka and had asked the state to refund the LTT collected after the atrocious ammendment was passed by the state legislature.

People who are desirous of seeking refund will furnish an undertaking that they will refund the amount of the SLP is decided in favour if the Gov't of Karnataka.

Jai Hind.

Waseem.....
Congratulations and a lot of respect for your tenacity, determination and the will to fight this to closure!
babhishek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 16:17   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Congratulations and Respect for the amount of hard work you pour in for this cause. People like you creates an actual difference in the society.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 16:28   #494
BHPian

I shifted to Bengaluru last year with hardly an year old Suzuki Baleno. Though the car was financed, able to procure the NOC first from the bank (Major Task, had to involve a supreme court lawyer and then Bank behaved like they should have with every customer, prior to that they were not even considering the request) and then from the RTO(Again through some references).
After shifting to Bangalore, I noticed that due to the commendable efforts of Waseem, Police don't harass people with other states registration plates.
Now, I have to move back to NCR again after an year and I have been driving with NOC papers since last one year.
1. Can I register back in my original STATE without registering over here. I contacted an RTO officer of Ghaziabad RTO and he said since they have issued me the NOC, it is important for me to register it in that particular RTO(Bangalore). Is it the case or is there any other way I can avoid registering my car over here and get it registered back at my original RTO place since I have to move back again after a year.
2. If we are driving with NOC papers, does insurance companies cause any issue if I make any claims. Can anyone refer any link to me regarding the same.

Any pointers or help will be highly appreciated. Will be going to talk to an RTO guy this weekend for suggestions. Do anyone have any contact no of trustworthy RTO agent, If yes please PM me the details.
Old 4th September 2017, 16:56   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post

Any pointers or help will be highly appreciated. Will be going to talk to an RTO guy this weekend for suggestions. Do anyone have any contact no of trustworthy RTO agent, If yes please PM me the details.
You will have to get Non Utilization Certificate from a Bangalore RTO and submit it back at your home RTO to get the NOC cancelled.

Having said that, it is not an easy task to get NOC issued from our 'Friendly' RTOs.

Please ping me if you need any help and I shall be glad to assist you.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks