Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 11:45   #586
BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Just keep toll records with you. Also if you can get the car's PUC and service done in TN, keep those handy as well. We used to use a UP reg car in Mumbai before we got our Punto back in 2009. No harassment of any kind (but checking yes). Once the cops realised we spoke Marathi they got super friendly.

Legally you can keep car in another state upto a continuous 1 year period before you need to change registration. By doing out of state trips, you break this 1 year time.
Thank you @blackwasp, thats the backup plan I have for few months till I pay the LTT.

I hope NOC is not mandatory for LTT.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 11:48   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I hope NOC is not mandatory for LTT.
If you plan to retain TN number and pay only tax, no NOC is needed. If you change to KA number, you will need NOC.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:25   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
If you plan to retain TN number and pay only tax, no NOC is needed. If you change to KA number, you will need NOC.
No plans on changing the TN number, but I wonder how it goes unnoticed that people can drive the other state car for more than an year by paying LTT and RTO allows it while the rule says we need to change the car registration if permanently moving.
Old 4th September 2019, 12:47   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
No plans on changing the TN number, but I wonder how it goes unnoticed that people can drive the other state car for more than an year by paying LTT and RTO allows it while the rule says we need to change the car registration if permanently moving.
It is beneficial for the RTO and hence they are allowing it.
If you pay LTT and do not change the car registration, the RTO need not return the LTT when you move back to TN or any other state. RTO can return the LTT only when you apply for NOC. Since you haven't changed your registration to KA, there is no NOC involved and hence no need to return of LTT.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 15:10   #590
BHPian

Has there been any revision to the RTO fine or penalty amount for out of KA state cars
Old 16th September 2019, 16:40   #591
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I was scheduled to meet the Dy CM of Karnataka today (He is in charge of Transport Ministry as well) to discuss leving annual tax on Non Karnataka registered vehicles.

The meeting is postponed to Thursday, 19th September 2019.

I will keep you all updated on the proceedings.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 21:25   #592
BHPian

Hi Waseem,

Any updates on the recommendation for paying annual tax for out of station vehicles?

I found a really good deal on a DL plate vehicle (am put up in Bangalore) ,but the very thought of going through the process of NOC and paying LTT again has kept me from picking up this vehicle, hence wanted to know if there was any change on the ground regarding this draconian process
Old 29th November 2019, 17:58   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Hi Waseem,

Any updates on the recommendation for paying annual tax for out of station vehicles?

I found a really good deal on a DL plate vehicle (am put up in Bangalore) ,but the very thought of going through the process of NOC and paying LTT again has kept me from picking up this vehicle, hence wanted to know if there was any change on the ground regarding this draconian process
Please buy if it a sweet deal and i will help you to pay tax.

Do not get NOC immediately.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 11:26   #594
BHPian

Mods,

Please delete this message, the same has been quoted in the next message.

Thanks

Last edited by Neo18 : 24th December 2019 at 11:30. Reason: I have quoted waseem's reply in next post please delete this
Old 24th December 2019, 11:28   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Please buy if it a sweet deal and i will help you to pay tax.

Do not get NOC immediately.

Waseem.
Thanks Waseem,

The vehicle that I have my sights on is a Pune, MH-12 vehicle. What is the process to get the RC transferred to my name in Karnataka. I have my permanent residence in bangalore and no address proof in Pune. As I understand, I have to pay LTT and road tax in KA in order to get the RC in my name. Am I missing something? Also, how is the LTT and Road tax calculated for a pre-owned vehicle?
Old 12th May 2020, 21:22   #596

Hello, fellow BHPians!

I plan to take my bike over to Bangalore. My bike has a Pune (MH-12) number. I happened to buy it just two years back, and don't plan to sell it anytime soon. However, due to the very confusing laws every state's transport department has, I am in a dilemma myself.

1. I intend to be in Bangalore for a year or two. I do not intend to change my bike's registration number at all and am willing to pay tax. However, I do not know what percent of my bike's price I have to pay, and am okay without any refund.

(I also do not want to get an NOC from the Pune RTO as it is time consuming, and if I am not wrong, you do not need the NOC to pay road tax in Karnataka. In the case of Bangalore, the city has 9 RTOs, and it may be tiring if I have to shift around the city.)

2. I have been advised to sell off my bike, get a new one there, and if I shift cities, sell it off there and shift again. I honestly find it cumbersome, and don't wish to go through a buying procedure again for a long time. Plus, like any one of you, I have a huge emotional attachment with my ride.

3. I happened to contact an RTO services agent before the lockdown, who said that the price will be around Rs. 38000. Now that is an INSANE amount to pay for a person who bought the bike with an onroad price of Rs. 50000. On the other hand, I happened to check the Vahan website where the tax for out of state vehicles comes upto Rs. 7000.

Can anyone please help me out and clear my Dilemma? Thank you so much!
WagonRWaala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:35   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonRWaala View Post

Hello, fellow BHPians!

3. I happened to contact an RTO services agent before the lockdown, who said that the price will be around Rs. 38000. Now that is an INSANE amount to pay for a person who bought the bike with an onroad price of Rs. 50000. On the other hand, I happened to check the Vahan website where the tax for out of state vehicles comes upto Rs. 7000.

Can anyone please help me out and clear my Dilemma? Thank you so much!
The payment they try to squeeze out is approximately 87% of tax on the same model in karnataka. The tax is reduced by 6.66%for every year of ownership, find the tax slab for given ex showroom price and calculate how much you may be made to pay.

Going through an agent will speed things up, otherwise you will end up without the bike and a huge bill.

E.g. If you have to pay 10k when you buy the new vehicle in karnataka, then you need to pay 8.7k if you want a receipt saying ka taxes are paid, as your bike is less than 3 years old. This is the formula used (15-2)×6.66%
Old 18th September 2020, 13:53   #598
BHPian

Hello, BHPians!
Pardon me if this is unrelated to the thread, as it may be off-topic. I have a question, and was hoping someone answers it.
We are driving down to Bhubaneswar next month in our KA registered car. Now, we will be staying there for 3 months at least. Since we are not moving there permanently, it makes no sense to get an NOC. My question is, how long can I drive around Bhubaneswar legally without an NOC?
What I understood while browing through this thread, Quora, and other links is that there will be no issues till about a month. This is again subjective, and totally depends on the destination state's traffic police and rules. Now, what should be done for a 3 month long stay? Do we need to take any permission/pay pro-rated road taxes in the destination state (Odisha in this case)?
We have a car for local use there, so the KA registered vehicle will hardly do any duties. Our plan of driving down was based on the fact that the car is quite new (just 10 months old) with just 3K odd kms on the ODO, and we did not want to leave it in the apartment's parking lot. Also, we cannot take our dog in a flight (where the dog goes into the cargo, we don't want to do that). It also gives us a chance to munch some miles in the car.
Please help me out here.
Thank you!
Old 18th September 2020, 19:21   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
We are driving down to Bhubaneswar next month in our KA registered car. Now, we will be staying there for 3 months at least. Since we are not moving there permanently, it makes no sense to get an NOC. My question is, how long can I drive around Bhubaneswar legally without an NOC?
Should not be a big trouble. Please keep the toll bills & recent service bills. Dont think I have heard of any harassment except for KA. Just ensure you dont take the car out very frequently or break any laws. Keep all relevant documents sorted and upto date (like PUC). A lot of IT guys are all back to their den because of the WFH policy in the last 6 months (so it should be very normal to see out of state vehicles everywhere more than usual). Explain in those lines if at all you got to give an explanation.

In the current situation, I'd be very amused if police takes the 'risk' of contact for trivial matters like these.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2020 at 21:39. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:13   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Should not be a big trouble. Please keep the toll bills & recent service bills. Dont think I have heard of any harassment except for KA. Just ensure you dont take the car out very frequently or break any laws. Keep all relevant documents sorted and upto date (like PUC). A lot of IT guys are all back to their den because of the WFH policy in the last 6 months (so it should be very normal to see out of state vehicles everywhere more than usual). Explain in those lines if at all you got to give an explanation.

In the current situation, I'd be very amused if police takes the 'risk' of contact for trivial matters like these.
Your advice is exactly what I am hoping for! A number of friends in different places around India have suggested the same. Our CEO is also in Rajasthan, his native place, since the last 6 months!
The car's PUC ends in November. Should I get a fresh one done before travelling? Seems to be the best bet as I would be in Bhubaneswar when it lapses.
The car won't be used at all, in all probability, as we already have a locally registered car there. Just that we didn't want to leave a new car idle for 3 months.
Thank you.
Chinmay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks