Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2016, 22:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Well, the citizens were helping the authorities in implementing the (a civil law) rule of the land at that time. Law was known, consequences were known to all. Can't term that as sadistic pleasure.
Since these 'citizens' have helped the authorities to collect Road Tax, i would love to see these law abiding citizens help BBMP guys to fill potholes on these very roads.These citizens should also help Lokayukta to nab corrupt RTO officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I think that the option of yearly tax is ideal for both car owner and the government. They can charge more per year and the buyer will have lesser one time expense. Isn't that how it works for taxis?
And if this is implemented across the country, then any outstation vehicle just has to pay tax in the visiting state.
Govt of Karnataka is just not interested to implement the yearly tax option.They know for a fact that people will line up and pay in which case they do not want that to happen.They want to ''Collect'' money via enforcement drives which will help the govt, RTO officials,Touts etc.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 22:46   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
As a visitor to Goa I had to pay 250Rs for 3 days. If you compare this and LTT for !5 years you will realize there is no much difference. Do some maths and you will realize Govt can make much more money this way since every vehicle entering is charged...
You too missed the point. Goa doesn't charge you 15 years road tax for your entry. Some of us are only suggesting a similar approach to be taken by the KA government too - let the migrant population pay for the period of their stay.

You feel the pinch for a mere Rs. 250/- bucks entry tax
, but can't feel the pain of those who pay lakhs as additional tax.

PS:: The Rs. 250/- they charge @ Goa is a one time entry fee and a full tank of fuel (with the lower price there) will easily offset that cost! At least Goa offers something worthy of the entry taxes they collect.

Quote:
Well, the citizens were helping the authorities in implementing the (a civil law) rule of the land at that time. Law was known, consequences were known to all. Can't term that as sadistic pleasure.
Seriously?? Are you OK if the same civilians drag you out of your car & manhandle you for violating a traffic signal or some other offense? Would you still justify that they are "helping" the law authorities? Is it OK for you that the civilians start employing their own punishments for every crime committed in the state - you would term that also as a "help"?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th March 2016 at 22:48.
swiftnfurious is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 23:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

This is what i had to say today in Deccan Chronicle.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-dcc.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 23:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The law in question was illegal from day one and didn't have presidential assent it wasn't the law of the land because it violated the MV Act, among other things.
True, that is proved by the latest verdict.
Quote:
The local low-lives were getting off on acting as vigilantes harassing perceived outsiders. Other than those who are wilfully blind, most people see this as nativist jingoism.
It is not natives vs non-natives. It is more of tax payers vs non-taxpayers. If I could get away not paying tax, then why did I pay tax?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Since these 'citizens' have helped the authorities to collect Road Tax, i would love to see these law abiding citizens help BBMP guys to fill potholes on these very roads.These citizens should also help Lokayukta to nab corrupt RTO officials.
Not everybody helped RTO in their drive. Likewise, some do help.
Quote:
Govt of Karnataka is just not interested to implement the yearly tax option.They know for a fact that people will line up and pay in which case they do not want that to happen.They want to ''Collect'' money via enforcement drives which will help the govt, RTO officials,Touts etc.
This is serious and must be made clear to the elected reps on the faults of current system, till they look into this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Seriously?? Are you OK if the same civilians drag you out of your car & manhandle you for violating a traffic signal or some other offense? Would you still justify that they are "helping" the law authorities? Is it OK for you that the civilians start employing their own punishments for every crime committed in the state - you would term that also as a "help"?
I do not support overzealous implementation of any law.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th March 2016 at 23:35.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 23:35   #80
r.K
BHPian

Re: Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Yesterday's decision from the Honorable High Court is a victory of Justice and Fairness which a state is constitutionally bound to upheld.

Thank you Silverwood! Heartfelt gratitude towards you and your team for making this happen. I was wondering what I was going to do about my 2 wheeler as I just moved to Bangalore and with commitments. No way I could pay my road tax within a month. This gives me some breathing space to save a bit and them pay the taxes. Thanks!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th March 2016 at 06:42. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 14th March 2016, 00:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

Few 'Law abiding Citizens' 'helping' RTO officials to stop Non Karnataka Registered Vehicles in the middle of the roads. I admire their dedication towards improving the 'Treasury'

Is there something called barricades.....?

Waseem
SILVERWOOD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 00:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how much relevant in this thread but the other one was closed .

I am moving to Bangalore permanently in April and in the look out to buy a Vtec. I have found one I am really interested in, however it is in Mumbai. I am okay to fly down and get the car and get it registered and transferred in Bangalore and pay tax .

What are the things I need to take care of other than the NOC and the relevant form 29 and 30 ?

Can I drive down to Bangalore and have the transfer done directly there ? I cannot have it transferred in my name in Mumbai since I do not have a address there.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 14th March 2016 at 00:25.
Old 14th March 2016, 00:29   #83
Senior - BHPian

well its good to know that the loot has ended. After all the crooked government was only interested in filling minister pockets, judging by the conditions of roads and infrastructure of Bangalore. Now someone must file a PIL to ensure uniform/one time road tax across all states. If states want adhoc taxes, I wonder why we must pay a national income tax? Let us pay tax to the state we earn from, why should we sponsor dull/non performing states with our hard earned tax money?
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 01:50   #84
BHPian

Hats off to Mr. Memon for taking the fight to the state and helping deliver a verdict countless many will benefit from.

I am most irked by some people viewing this as native vs non native. Why do we have statements like 'return to your roots' and 'its legal to pay taxes here'? I am an Indian and as an Indian, the constitution of this great land gives me the right to move and earn my livelihood wherever I choose to. And that I should not be persecuted while exercising my freedom of movement. When I buy a vehicle or any other asset in any part of India, I have the perfect legal and moral right to shift it anywhere in India without any obstacles. That's it. Period. Who are you to dictate or even suggest to me, even with the highest levels of politeness, that I should pay tax again?

In case of vehicles, if I use a DL registered vehicle in Karnataka for lets say 5 years, I am going to use the fuel from the local fuel pumps - in that case I am already paying taxes on buying fuel in the state. I am going to use the local service stations to get my car serviced and am contributing to state economy already. Hence, I am doing my duty towards the state. Why the concept of extra taxes?

If this logic is not valid, then the inverse should hold true. That is, tax should be charged on all items, even air conditioners and fridges, and sofa sets and bed and linen, etc. If I bought an AC in Delhi which I am now using in Bangalore, the state government, which is perfectly right to boost its revenue targets as suggested by some individuals here, would require me to pay VAT again since I am using the AC in their state now. And the moral police, i.e. local people who helped RTO officials seize other states vehicles, would have the perfect right to barge in to my home in the middle of the night and demand to see the bills for all my household items.

Seems laughable scenario, right? This laughable scenario will exactly become realistic if we let practices like this continue, practices against which Mr. Memon took up a fight, practices which some petty minded people are still defending!!

Last edited by rattanw : 14th March 2016 at 01:54.
rattanw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 07:39   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I have paid LTT for my TN registered vehicle voluntarily to avoid this harassment. So have paid for 15 years in two states. Haven't requested a refund from TN yet because of all the complicated procedures involved. I'm not fluent in both Tamil and Kannada and hence dealing with the RTO is a pain.
I have lost count on how many times I have asked you to get refund from TN, infact told that I can accompany you if need be. Cost of this inconveience and lack of fluency is the refund you are supposed to get from TN. The more you delay the lesser you get as refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm a Keralite, having a TN registered car which I used there for 1.5 years and now in Karnataka for 2.5 (LTT paid). I don't frankly know where I'll be next year. If all these states start asking LTT- I'll be paying more than the car value in taxes soon.
Irrespective of where you are from, if you dont claim refund of the taxes, you will end up having car value to be way lower than taxes paid. Atleast now, I hope you apply for a refund.
nkrishnap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 07:42   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
If I bought an AC in Delhi which I am now using in Bangalore, the state government, which is perfectly right to boost its revenue targets as suggested by some individuals here, would require me to pay VAT again since I am using the AC in their state now.
The difference here is that the RTO is different for each state. Hence the disputed legislation. Since the roads in Karnatake (except NHs) come under regional RTO, they charge their own tax on it. Of course, the validity of the same rule was challenged, and I feel it was rightly struck down.

However, I do feel there is also an ethical responsibility on part of the commuter to pay the yearly (if implemented) tax on time, without finding loopholes to game the system. It is to be seen how well that happens.

Uniform tax across the country is the best case outcome. But until that happens, my humble opinion is strict legislation stay in place. This is because cars from (ex.) Punjab are just a blatant play on the system.

I echo your sentiments on this native v/s non-native issue. Shows how deep-rooted some of these dark sentiments are. Reg. the motorists who caught the non-native cars, vigilantes are almost never a good thing. Such situations can turn harrowing for those involved when even one 'hero' starts to get physical.
Old 14th March 2016, 08:03   #87
BHPian

Excellent verdict. Infact the babus must change the rules to do away with the state-wise tax, and replace with national wide uniform tax system. Further, make this as annual tax payment instead of LTT. It's a fact that most cars don't stay with same owner for lifetime.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 08:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is pretty much the same argument used by Adolf Eichmann during his trial; didn't work for him and doesn't work in this case either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
When you come down to basics, isn't road tax charged for usage of the roads? So if you pay tax in one state and ply your vehicle in another, what are you paying the 2nd state for using its resources.
1. Road tax is NOT charged for usage of roads. If it were, then it would have been linked to the quantum of usage instead of its present ad valorum nature.

2. What I pay any state is not just for whatever service I expect in that state; it is for services I expect in the entire territory of India.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 08:10   #89
BHPian

Though I have never been personally affected by the KA govt’s tax collection drive, I have seen numerous non-KA being pulled over in the middle of the road, including women who were driving their kids to school. Around the time this drive was conducted, there were news reports on Kannada channels showing random RTO officials forcing people to stop and even manhandling them in case the car owners questioned them. I was in a massive traffic jam one day on the way to work at 8 am. As I approached the Prestige Shantiniketan gates in Whitefield, I saw a row of cars parked with multiple traffic policemen managing the situation. Those cars were all non-KA registered vehicles who were targets of this drive. No one, and I mean no one, should face this kind of harassment from any authority.

If this country has to move forward, then such rules MUST not exist. Thank God the high court struck down this rule.
jensjoseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 09:40   #90
BHPian

BIG thanks to Waseem. When everyone was ranting or suffering in silence, you took the lead and acted on it. We need more people like you.
My situation in Bangalore is different. Although I have a KA registered car and a bike, I have a KL registered Scorpio at my disposal which belongs to my in-laws. My father-in-law has to travel frequently for his job, so he drives to bangalore, parks the car in my garage, and flies out from Bangalore. However, I do not take the car out on Bangalore roads as I don't want to pay the life time tax for a vehicle which spends a majority of its time on Kerala roads (but is a frequent visitor to Bangalore). It is sad to see a car lying unutilized in my garage, sometimes for a couple of months. Hopefully, now I can take the car out on weekends for a spin. Although, I would still take the wait and watch approach before taking the car out.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks