Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 18:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Hundreds of people came back dejected from RTO offices today.Few of them had come from nearby states to collect their documents which were impounded. They were armed with the certified copy of the High Court Judgement as well as the letter issued by the Transport Commissioner's office to release all the cars.

The RTO officials told them that they did not receive any communication from their superiors on the same and they are awaiting orders.Couple of RTO officials wanted people to give a ''Notarized Affidavit'' stating that if the Judgement is revoked in the appeal or by the Apex Court, they will have to voluntary pay up even if the car is not in Bangalore.I had to speak to them and give a piece of my mind.They relented after i told them to give a letter on their letterhead stating that they will release the car/documents only if the person submits a Notarized Affidavit.I also told them that we will seek clarity from the Honorable Justice who pronounced the Judgement.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 21:11   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I had to speak to them and give a piece of my mind.They relented after i told them to give a letter on their letterhead stating that they will release the car/documents only if the person submits a Notarized Affidavit.I also told them that we will seek clarity from the Honorable Justice who pronounced the Judgement.
What sort of a pathetic organization is this? They are so deep in illegalities that the line between what is legal and illegal is not even understood. A banana state really.

For all those supporting these actions of "their" officials. I am telling you guys, when you guys are in trouble for anything in this state, forget RTO. You are going to be in some deep trouble.

This illegality does not wake you up, blatant corruption does not wake you up, horrible infrastructure does not wake you up. Something as massively illegal as B-Khata and then the Akrama-Sakrama does not wake you up. But vigilantism on the road is your forte.

Karma is real. Be worried, very worried.

Waseem, did you get any support from our local vigilantes on Team-BHP in all this? Did they turn up at the RTO?
Spitfire is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 21:49   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What sort of a pathetic organization is this? They are so deep in illegalities that the line between what is legal and illegal is not even understood. A banana state really.

For all those supporting these actions of "their" officials. I am telling you guys, when you guys are in trouble for anything in this state, forget RTO. You are going to be in some deep trouble.

This illegality does not wake you up, blatant corruption does not wake you up, horrible infrastructure does not wake you up. Something as massively illegal as B-Khata and then the Akrama-Sakrama does not wake you up. But vigilantism on the road is your forte.

Karma is real. Be worried, very worried.

Waseem, did you get any support from our local vigilantes on Team-BHP in all this? Did they turn up at the RTO?
But who is supporting vigilantism here? I haven't found a single post here that does, or have I missed something? Everyone is supportive of Waseem who has shown superb activism, which more of us really should do.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 23:42   #199
Senior - BHPian

My joy knows no bounds after reading this post.

I am a very happy man today.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-shan.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 06:52   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My joy knows no bounds after reading this post.

I am a very happy man today.

Waseem.

Many many congratulations, and thanks from the hundreds if not thousands that have been harassed and extorted by what passes for an RTO in this state.

On the acerbic comments back and forth: please end it. The state wanted to make a quick buck and the court shot it down. We should celebrate both the person who fought for the people and the system that allows us to do so.
VeluM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 08:25   #201
Senior - BHPian

A new low for Karnataka RTO.

A student meets with an accident & dies. The police station writes to the RTO and RTO guys issues a Tax Demand Notice.

Police guys say pay the tax and get the vehicle released.

Taxed after death as well.

Where are we heading to.?

Waseem
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458442467103.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458442484405.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458442499856.jpg  

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 20th March 2016 at 08:26.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 08:54   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
But who is supporting vigilantism here? I haven't found a single post here that does, or have I missed something?
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Well, the citizens were helping the authorities in implementing the (a civil law) rule of the land at that time. Law was known, consequences were known to all. Can't term that as sadistic pleasure.
Now imagine this guy on the road in front of your car with an out-of-statee registration.

Many other posts got deleted. But I only had to look at the Thanks to your posts to find this one.
Spitfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 16:50   #203
BHPian

Straight up a million Thanks to Waseem bhai

It takes superhuman effort to deal with the Govt authorities and run around the Indian courts. But i believe the fight is still not over and the Govt will try to pull out another trick out of it's sleeve. But let's hope for the best

However on the lighter side apart from my non-KA motorcycle does the Govt also wants me to update my following Non-KA documents.

1--> My Non-KA passport to a KA passport.
2--> My Non-KA AADHAR to a KA AADHAR.
3--> My Non-KA Voter card to a KA voter card.
4--> My Non-KA Ration card to a KA ration card.
5--> My Non-KA Driving license to a KA DL

To a best of my knowledge none of these above but there is one thing they are/were definitely interested in was my Non-Ka motorcycle to be re-registered as it gets them some HARD Earned Money.

10 years back i didn't buy my Avenger from Mumbai to escape high road Tax in Karnataka, i bought it there because i was born, brought up and settled up in mumbai with no intentions to move out anywhere , so stupid i was that i didn't knew that KA has a different/higher tax rate than MH but it pisses me off today to see the authorities treating me as a TAX offender.

Not that i was not ready to pay the local KA road tax, i did inquire about it, what pissed me was the calculation which asked me to pay almost 33% of my motor-cycle current Insured Value as a TAX(current market value if wanted to sell it was even lower then the IDV), isn't it daylight robbery ?

Is there not a simpler solution like the KA/MH/XYZ RTOs calculate the road tax not on the actual purchase value of the vehicle but the Current Insured Amount.

OR

Can we have a system where a person is not asked to pay local Road TAX anywhere in the country if ..

(A) He is driving a vehicle registered from his state of Domicile

OR

(B) The state of issue of his Driving License.

The logic for the above arguments being being that, he bought the vehicle in a particular state X NOT to evade higher TAX in some other state Y but he did so because he is a permanent resident of state X and he may move back to his parent or some other state some time later.

In scenarios where a person like me from MH working in KA buys a vehicle from PY should be termed wrong as the intention would be to save tax, and such a person may be penalised.

Gaur
Old 20th March 2016, 17:49   #204
Senior - BHPian

This is not one off case.Many incidents were reported on our FB Page.

Waseem Memon
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-ss.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 22:53   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is not one off case.Many incidents were reported on our FB Page.

Waseem Memon
Unless the accessories were recorded, this definitely is not going to work for the customers. But otherwise, the safe custody of the vehicles are responsibility of those who seize it I believe [based on a building (ours) demolition case from the government agencies]. I would really love to see this being taken up by the owners and the RTO made to pay for their losses. Time for a payback!

Edit:: I hope those who have insured the accessories have a case for themselves?

Edit 2:: @Waseem, I assume a whole lot of people don't go ahead with the case as they may not be familiar with the legal proceedings. Do you request such people to catch up with your team and help them register cases and provide the legal infrastructure support too? May be those guys would be willing to bear the finance for their own cases, provided they have the right support.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th March 2016 at 23:02.
Old 20th March 2016, 23:09   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Edit 2:: @Waseem, I assume a whole lot of people don't go ahead with the case as they may not be familiar with the legal proceedings. Do you request such people to catch up with your team and help them register cases and provide the legal infrastructure support too? May be those guys would be willing to bear the finance for their own cases, provided they have the right support.
Dear Sir,

They are more than welcome to contact me for any assistance they require.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 08:15   #207
Senior - BHPian

"The Jeep, the Dakota airplane, and the landing craft were the three tools that won the war."

General Dwight Eisenhower, Allied Supreme Commander, Europe.

And this one started Drive Without Borders couple of years ago.

Moral:Never eye a Man's Jeep.

Waseem Memon
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458528153146.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458528193183.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458528214922.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458528228403.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458528240839.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458528254674.jpg  

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-1458528269808.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 09:36   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Our other members who still consider that KA government was right in what it did are entitled to their own views, and I hope that when they themselves travel out of Bangalore, and see that others do not harras them they change their views.

Rahul
Your post got me thinking. I feel we are looking at different things. Let me understand the cases:

[a] Pay LTT after 30 days
Court has said this is unconstitutional and I agree.

[b] Pay LTT after 12 months
If anybody is staying for more than 12 months in current state and is driving vehicle from previous state, then get refund from previous state and pay LTT in current state.
People who buy vehicles in current state would have already paid LTT and is unfair to them if some can buy from other state and drive in current state. This is according to current MV Act. If this is incorrect, please let me know what is the correct version.

[c] Not pay LTT at all
Abolish LTT, or have uniform structure.

The ideal case would be [c] and wish we all live in such a country. Unfortunately [b] is what the law says. So some states implement the law. Some don't. Asking the state not to implement, calling them names, tagging people who conform to law, is just unnecessary.

Also, the overzealous implementation of law by RTO was wrong. They must be more clear on what documents would constitute proof of less than 12 month stay.

Please suggest otherwise and if these are not the cases.

Quote:
My job is in Karnataka and I live here for most of the year. But cumulatively I stay for 3 months in Goa. I can still use my car in Karnataka without having to pay a single rupee to the Karnataka government or the RTO, because of the 12 month rule. And that's the way it should be.
What if somebody from Assam moves into Goa with his car? He can't expect him to drive every year to Assam to save tax
Quote:
3,I have stayed in Delhi,Mumbai,Hyderabad and Chennai but i have never seen even borderline xenophobia in these cities and why so much of hatred building up here.?
PS: Let me clarify - I am not a native of Bangalore.
Currently, I stay in a place in Bangalore where if I stand somewhere for a minute, I would hear 5 different languages. Other parts of Bangalore would not be much different. I have friends, neighbours and colleagues who are in Bangalore for over 15 years and barely manage to speak or understand the official language. They are at disadvantage when the communication is in official language and those are very rare instances. So they are fine and will manage likewise. For past many decades, fresh graduates looking for job (anywhere in the country) will come to Bangalore. They come here, get trained, find job, buy home, send their kids to school and settle here. They celebrate their festivals and they have complete freedom to do what they like. In this city, number of adults born elsewhere far outnumber the adults born here. Maybe that will change when current kids, born here would find jobs here.

So your statement is surprising. What is the hatred which you have found here?
Quote:
They say a picture can say a thousand words. This is the same government that passed the 30 day illegal rule.

Imagine what we are dealing with here.

Attachment 1487652
There has been power cuts before and even during sessions elsewhere, including Parliament. So what would this picture say about the government?
Quote:
Taxed after death as well.
Isn't that tax from those who will now be using the bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If both joints belong to the same management (country in this context), should not be an issue.
Even in case both are within management, would Copper Chimney allow McD food into their restaurant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Well, the citizens were helping the authorities in implementing the (a civil law) rule of the land at that time. Law was known, consequences were known to all. Can't term that as sadistic pleasure.
Quote:
Here you go:
Glad to know the tag you have defined for law conformists. For your information, the state where I currently live has a mechanism to report violations via social media, mobile apps, including traditional channels. Once reported, due process are followed before any any action is taken on the violation. Is that a problem?
BTW, 'vigilante' means someone who punishes perceived lawbreakers themself rather relying on the authorities. That isn't the case here with residents of Bangalore. Probably the term you were looking for law-abiding residents is 'Responsible citizens'
PS: English is a vast language. It is easy to find a word, tag people. But that isn't the way of people who live here. Hence I wouldn't go down that path.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 10:09   #209
BHPian

While Karnataka RTO's 1 month rule was totally out of line, a 3 month rule might have been appropriate & should be uniformly applied across states.

Even in Mumbai a few years ago there was a drive where RTO targeted housing societies asking them to report non-Mumbai registered cars parked overnight in the premises for several days. They also used to visit housing societies to identify such cars & check their registration documents.

I disagree that any RTO should encourage roadside mafias stopping cars to extort or complain about them, this only leads to anarchy.

Its also a fact that many people try to circumvent state taxation by purchasing the vehicle in one & using it in another; dealers also help them with fake addresses or using those of relatives & other businesses. There have to be rules & means to weed these people out without harassing the others.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:46   #210
Senior - BHPian

I've read reports that some cars were auctioned by the RTO where the owners refused to pay taxes or simply did not return after their cars were confiscated.

What happens in these cases , shouldn't the RTO buy a new car for those owners ?

Most Viewed