Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 21:00   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
So that means that your erstwhile lawyer will now fight on behalf of the government against you.
I think he'll have to sit out because of the obvious conflict of interest.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 01:22   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Didn't your Counsel for the 'Drive Without Borders' case in Kashmir go through the same?
Yes, But he resigned after the political turmoil started and continued his private practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
So that means that your erstwhile lawyer will now fight on behalf of the government against you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think he'll have to sit out because of the obvious conflict of interest.
He will not appear for this case to rule out conflict of interest.

Waseem

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 2nd April 2016 at 01:23.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 04:00   #288
BANNED

Does this mean we will have to live in fear yet again of tax terrorism returning? This is just sad news. Sigh. I have full plans to bring my vehicle from Delhi in May. If the 30days return again. I'll have no choice but to call it quits and just return from Mumbai as a visit. Please try for yearly tax as an option in case the govt is going for appeal :(
Old 2nd April 2016, 07:43   #289
BHPian

had been to Mysore RTO yesterday. had a talk with official there. this is how the DEPT reads the court order
1. the moment you bring interstate car into KA, you approach the nearest RTO and submit a affidavit stating that you have bought other state car into KA on this day for your .... use and you will discharge the life time tax applicable whenever demanded on or before one year from this date.
2. one year is calculated from the date of arrival ( as you declare in the affidavit).
3. all that the court order has done is extended the 30 day period to 365 days.
4. compliance is voluntary but tax has to be paid if not now at-least within a year.
5. if you are leaving the state within the year period, then you need to write to rto to cancel the affidavit and move out.
6. if you cancel and re return, sadly you will have to pay tax on arrival , immediately as , RTO calculates entry date as per your earlier date of Entry ( DOE). this is to eliminate misuse of the facility.
hope things are clarified
nutmello is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 08:00   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
had been to Mysore RTO yesterday. had a talk with official there. this is how the DEPT reads the court order
1. the moment you bring interstate car into KA, you approach the nearest RTO and submit a affidavit stating that you have bought other state car into KA on this day for your .... use and you will discharge the life time tax applicable whenever demanded on or before one year from this date.
2. one year is calculated from the date of arrival ( as you declare in the affidavit).
4. compliance is voluntary but tax has to be paid if not now at-least within a year.
5. if you are leaving the state within the year period, then you need to write to rto to cancel the affidavit and move out.
6. if you cancel and re return, sadly you will have to pay tax on arrival , immediately as , RTO calculates entry date as per your earlier date of Entry ( DOE). this is to eliminate misuse of the facility.
Considering the situation, this seems reasonable.
Old 2nd April 2016, 08:08   #291
BHPian

Quote:
How will the RTO differentiate between a car merely transiting / touring the state for a day or a few weeks, vs one that has moved to the state, albeit temporarily?
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 08:59   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How will the RTO differentiate between a car merely transiting / touring the state for a day or a few weeks, vs one that has moved to the state, albeit temporarily?

I dont think you will be hassled if you have the right toll tickets etc with probably address proof, may be office ID with you local address and may be the ration card

KA is going nuts and these state requirements needs to be completely removed and some common country level tax or whatever that makes it easier for own citizens to use a car bought in the same country anywhere and everywhere without having to worry about being pulled over by some cop and getting impounded.

My love for KA keeps growing. So is my sarcasm.
VW2010 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:09   #293
BHPian

If TN also brings a similar rule (if KA can, why not TN?) the KL plated vehicles will have to run within the borders of Kerala with an one time visiting pass to KA and TN.

Thankfully though, we have started a Ro-Ro ship service with Gujarat from Kollam port .

Or maybe we could introduce a document to be submitted at each borders to be stamped entry and exit so that there is official documentation of entry/exit of aliens.

Oh, my bad!!! There is already one; it is called a PASSPORT!!!

Last edited by darklord : 2nd April 2016 at 09:14.
darklord is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:00   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am completely for this.I want to add few more points.

1, Apart from the Affidavit, they should also collect Bank Guarantees from the out station car owners.What if they deny to pay the tax when our 'Honest' and 'law abiding' officials demand.
2, The out station car owner should also sign an agreement on a stamp paper with the terms and condition and the 'consequences' if they do not abide.
3,People entering/transiting Karnataka with Non KA Cars should keep a track of state govt holidays.They should be barred from entering/transiting Karnataka on holidays and after non working hours.
4,Non KA car owners should report to the nearest police station upon arrival and fill up a registration form or an office similar to Foreigner Regional Registration Office should be opened for Non Karnataka Registered Car Owners
5,A person transiting Karnataka should also follow all these rules even if he is using Karnataka roads for couple of hours.
6,All states should adopt such practices which will further 'STRENGTHEN' National Integrity.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 2nd April 2016 at 12:04.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:17   #295
BANNED

So tell me something now.
I come to KA on 1st June from Delhi visiting Jaipur and Mumbai in between.

Within 11 months I again visit Mumbai and then come back after vacations.
Isn't my timer reset?
Car is DL.
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:16   #296
Senior - BHPian

IMO there is one way we the common citizens can grasp the governments jewels and force them to retract this extortive policy. Let us stop/refuse to accept job offers/transfers or deputation to any place within Karnataka. Let us also raise a campaign and social awareness scheme where in people actively make it a point not to join any job/business concern within Karnataka. The social noise and perceived loss of jobs will force companies to get government to bow down.
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:32   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
So tell me something now.
I come to KA on 1st June from Delhi visiting Jaipur and Mumbai in between.

Within 11 months I again visit Mumbai and then come back after vacations.
Isn't my timer reset?
Car is DL.
In theory, YES. But how does Karnataka RTO "KNOW" whether your timer is on day 1 of your first visit or day 364?

The problem is they are trying to find a way to catch those who are residing & working in the state now, but have bought a car outside where they have another address, and not finding any clean way to do this.

Only comprehensive way is to have an 'Aadhaar' type RFID tag for each vehicle in India, which is also linked to FASTag & used by all RTOs to determine 'home' base of any car using mobile systems. A massive project that will take years to fructify & only viable if we have a single set of rules throughout the country.

Last edited by gsurya : 2nd April 2016 at 15:34.
Old 2nd April 2016, 16:23   #298
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
In theory, YES. But how does Karnataka RTO "KNOW" whether your timer is on day 1 of your first visit or day 364?

The problem is they are trying to find a way to catch those who are residing & working in the state now, but have bought a car outside where they have another address, and not finding any clean way to do this.

Only comprehensive way is to have an 'Aadhaar' type RFID tag for each vehicle in India, which is also linked to FASTag & used by all RTOs to determine 'home' base of any car using mobile systems. A massive project that will take years to fructify & only viable if we have a single set of rules throughout the country.
I'll have all the tolls and PUC slip. Insurance is from Delhi. I am here for only two years, and I travel interstate often. I refuse to pay 15 year tax this way, when legally I am in the clear
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:27   #299
BHPian

This may be OT but I NEVER KNEW our tax money was spent on such totally useless outfits

karnataka-border-protection-commission-chief-resigns

There is a Karnataka Border Protection Commission??

I am sure we will soon be part of the Divided Nation-states of India soon; and yes, like many have stated above we will all need a passport to visit our relativenemies living across the border.
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:48   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Only comprehensive way... A massive project that will take years to fructify & only viable if we have a single set of rules throughout the country.
There are simpler ways to ensure "compliance":
1. Collect road tax along with Insurance. Pay tax where the vehicle is normally used, annually.
2. Normalise the road tax, so that nobody would find it lucrative to register their vehicle elsewhere (The KA RTOs follow the principle of guilty until proven innocent)
3. The states can take ownership of transferring the LTT paid in one state, based on the address updated. When the car is moved across state boundaries, the respective RTAs should adjust the funds accordingly, and the owner may be charged for registration IF there are security concerns (again something the KA RTOs claim to be more important than all the permit violating buses and sand trucks)
4. Provide an option to pay annual/bi-annual/quarterly/etc tax if the vehicle is already registered in another state.

These options are in the decreasing order of difficulty in implementing them. For the kind of people that thrive on division instead of unification, the most cumbersome process for the tax-paying citizen that will help mint money for them will be the way forward.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed