Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2016, 11:54   #361
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I just got my 72 Fiat over from Calicut. Do I wait for the verdict or just go ahead and pay up?
Wow, that's nice
I was just curious to know how they will calculate the life-time tax for a 1972 make car, any idea ?

EDIT:Just saw that @crazydriver asked a similar question

Last edited by NPV : 15th June 2016 at 11:55.
Old 15th June 2016, 12:19   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What would be the rules for such an old vehicle? Is it yearly tax or do you require to pay lifetime tax?
If it is more than 15 years, then 25% tax will be levied. See the enclosed image

Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-capture1.png
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:13   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just got my 72 Fiat over from Calicut. Do I wait for the verdict or just go ahead and pay up?
Do you have a copy of the original purchase invoice? If not, I wonder how the RTO is going to calculate your tax liability. Fat chance they'll have price records that old in their systems.
Old 15th June 2016, 14:27   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Do you have a copy of the original purchase invoice? If not, I wonder how the RTO is going to calculate your tax liability. Fat chance they'll have price records that old in their systems.
If not, they are OK to accept invoice of the same Model dating back to that year.

This is exactly what my friend did at Yeshwantpur RTO to pay up tax for his Premier Padmini S1 that he had driven from Maharashtra.

All the RTO needs is the price of that particular Model during the year of purchase.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th June 2016 at 14:47.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:28   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Do you have a copy of the original purchase invoice?
No.

They should have some information on cost of this car in their database.
All I have is gas bills from last week to prove that the car was driven down last week. I hope this is sufficient to keep fines away. Else; I pay up now and forget about what the verdict turns out.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th June 2016 at 14:31.
Old 15th June 2016, 14:45   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you relocated to Bangalore, procedure is to pay the road tax of Karnataka as you will using roads in Karnataka. This wouldnt have anything to do with verdict or anything. If you are getting it here for a short duration, then the verdict or how many days RTO allows comes into picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If not, they are OK to accept invoice of the same Model dating back to that year.

This is exactly what my friend did at Yeshwantpur RTO to pay up tax for his Premier Padmini S1 that he had driven from Maharashtra.

All the RTO needs is the price of that particular Model during the year of purchase.
Its expected to have the invoice for the re-registration just like how new cars are registered. If the invoice is not there, usually the likely case for older cars, you could produce a letter from dealer on what cost it was for that car model during that year(again not applicable as they have shut shop and is too old). Other very acceptable form of documentation is an invoice of another car of same model and year. They are lenient to consider a few years here and there too. Else, they say they will consider value of same manufacturer present day car model with similar CC. This will turn out to be too expensive

If finding same year invoice too is difficult, go to RTO and sit with the person who does the calculation. He may do some queries in the data base and see if a similar year car was reregistered at that RTO in recent times. If yes, they will see what amount was paid for that car. Same quote will be extended for you.

For me it so happened that, the official found 20+ records, but the field of tax paid showed up as 0. That was because these re-registrations had happened a long time ago. HE said may be while digitizing records, some one was lazy and omitted filling this field. Finally a friend helped and paid some 9k tax for a 18 year old S1 Padmini.

EDIT: Also, being a classic car, very very minute chances of you getting harassed for road tax given you have all papers in order like FC, Insurance and Emission. Even though my car is MH and I have paid the tax, not a single time I have been stopped and I have used my car extensively. The place I reside in has very little checks, but still in last year have driven past RTO officials few times and never stopped. The RTO was always after people who relocated and chose not to pay KA road tax. Such cases with classic cars will be low enough for them to turn a blind eye

Last edited by funkykar : 15th June 2016 at 15:01.
funkykar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 20:44   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
If you relocated to Bangalore, procedure is to pay the road tax of Karnataka as you will using roads in Karnataka.
It is my second stint in Bangalore after the start of my career. I moved back to Bangalore in the end of 2008 but the car was never with me. Was driven down a week ago and the car will stay with me from now.

I have no purchase invoice nor does a dealer exist for me to go back to for an invoice.
I am not looking at re registering the car. The car has a valid fitness certificate and insurance. I guess I might need to get another emission test done from a local center before I go for tax payment.

Could you direct me to the RTO person or gentlemen who helped you with paying road tax. If its around where I live, I could probably approach him.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th June 2016 at 20:49.
Old 15th June 2016, 20:55   #368
Senior - BHPian

Paying of tax and transferring to Karnataka is nothing but reregistration. Getting KA plates is optional.

Based on your residential address, you need to go to the appropriate RTO and talk to the person responsible.
Old 21st June 2016, 15:52   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Please get your service records,insurance papers,Toll receipts and if possible, proof of residence of MH as well.

We are all awaiting for the verdict with bated breath.

Waseem Memon.
Thank you for the advice.

How is the situation in Hyderabad to drive out of state cars for a period of 3-6 months.

Same precautions advised?
Old 1st July 2016, 00:16   #370
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

The Writ Appeal is listed tomorrow for Judgement in Court Hall No.2 at 4:30pm.

Justice Jayanth Patel and Justice Nagarathna will pronounce the historical judgement.

Please pray that we emerge victorious and Justice of Truth and Fairness Prevails.

Jai Hind.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 01:36   #371
Senior - BHPian

As many have said, most of the people including myself relocating to Bangalore with their cars donot mind paying tax. However paying 'Life Time tax' within '30 days can be an issue for many. The amount is not a small one, with people paying deposits for their home, costs for settling down, relocation expenses, etc it may be difficult in such a short duration. Also the tax percentage is amongst the highest in Bangalore. These points should be considered. An years time does give a breather to shell out lakhs.

Also some people are giving examples of developed countries, read US, however if I am not wrong it is annual tax there. I maybe wrong though.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 1st July 2016 at 01:39.
Old 1st July 2016, 16:50   #372
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I have some exiting news to share with you all.

The Division Bench of Justice Jayanth Patel and Justice Nagarathna has dismissed the Appeal filed by Karnataka Government.

We have won.

Long Live Freedom, Long live Drive Without Borders.

Jai Hind.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 17:12   #373
BHPian

Just watching the same in news channel. Congrats to Waseem and team.
Old 1st July 2016, 17:24   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dear Friends,

I have some exiting news to share with you all.

The Division Bench of Justice Jayanth Patel and Justice Nagarathna has dismissed the Appeal filed by Karnataka Government.

We have won.

Long Live Freedom, Long live Drive Without Borders.

Jai Hind.

Waseem.
Great news. How does this impact things on ground? As a tourist will be able to drive around in bangalore without worrying now? Or cops will say they don't have official information from higher ups.
Old 1st July 2016, 17:27   #375
BHPian

Amazing journey Waseem bhai! Superb perseverance!

It is fair from KA Govt to expect to collect tax for the land that it is governing, but demanding life time tax is not fair. At least now, they should introduce yearly tax coupons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks