Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2016, 20:05   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
I went with complete documents proving that I came a week back; even then he threw all the documents into the table and wouldn't listen. I had to pay my way up to get my car back. These are not innocent law abiding citizen we are talking about.
Thousands of people were harassed and money was extorted from them.Couple of them were beaten up by touts in broad day light as well.

Law abiding, what's that by the way.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 23rd July 2016 at 20:15.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:42   #422
Senior - BHPian

OT.

So much for Road Tax.

Look at the sheer size.

Waseem
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-jigni.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 21:20   #423

Hi guys i am in need of some help/ advice. I have just move from Mumbai to Chennai for 10 months and ideally would like to move my Honda Jazz here from Mumbai. Could you guide me as to what the procedure is/ what documentation i need to drive an MH car in TN? How long are NOCs issued for? Do i need to pay any road tax?

Alternatively, if option 1 is too much of a problem, is there any place in Chennai that gives cars out for rent on a monthly/ long term basis?

Commuting here is pretty expensive and hence having your own vehicle here is better.

Thanks!
Old 31st July 2016, 22:05   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthkhatau View Post
I have just move from Mumbai to Chennai for 10 months and ideally would like to move my Honda Jazz here from Mumbai. Could you guide me as to what the procedure is/ what documentation i need to drive an MH car in TN? How long are NOCs issued for? Do i need to pay any road tax?
For 10 months, you have to do nothing. Just make sure you have ample proof that you are in Chennai for less than a year. Bring over your vehicle and enjoy the city and surroundings.
Old 31st July 2016, 23:59   #425
Senior - BHPian

Another feather in the cap for Karnataka RTO.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-taxi.jpg  

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 1st August 2016 at 00:02.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 08:17   #426
Senior - BHPian

Why is Karnataka becoming the "bad boy state" of India?

Also there are other entry points to Kerala - few near Mangalore. Is entry tax not collected there?
Old 1st August 2016, 09:37   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Also there are other entry points to Kerala - few near Mangalore. Is entry tax not collected there?
Manjeshwaram (mentioned in the article) is the one near Mangalore. The three mentioned in the article are particularly troublesome for tourists probably because they see heavy traffic. I do know that there are RTO checkposts at Kattikulam and Vazhikadavu - both points of entry to Kerala from Karnataka.

Stuff will really hit the fan when Sabarimala temple opens for Mandala Pooja in mid-November, I'd say.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:51   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys i am in need of some help/ advice.

Commuting here is pretty expensive and hence having your own vehicle here is better.

Thanks!
You need not pay any road tax, the authorities in TN do not particularly target out station vehicles, but do have some means to prove that you have been in the city for less than a year.

The other option suggested by you would surely work out to be very expensive compared to bringing your own vehicle down.
Old 1st August 2016, 14:08   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys i am in need of some help/ advice. I have just move from Mumbai to Chennai for 10 months and ideally would like to move my Honda Jazz here from Mumbai. Could you guide me as to what the procedure is/ what documentation i need to drive an MH car in TN? How long are NOCs issued for? Do i need to pay any road tax?

Alternatively, if option 1 is too much of a problem, is there any place in Chennai that gives cars out for rent on a monthly/ long term basis?

Thanks!
Bring the letter from the HR of your company (assuming you are employed in a IT firm) stating that you will be deputed in Chennai for 10 months. If you have your own house in Mumbai, get a copy of the sale deed.
Old 1st August 2016, 14:30   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Bring the letter from the HR of your company (assuming you are employed in a IT firm) stating that you will be deputed in Chennai for 10 months. If you have your own house in Mumbai, get a copy of the sale deed.
Whoa. This is Chennai we are talking of. All you need is the airway bill for transporting your car or toll/fuel receipts if you drive it yourself. The only one time I have been stopped in Chennai, a fuel receipt from Bangalore was all it took.

(And why do we have to "assume" an IT firm? Non-IT firms also have HR departments, no?)
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 17:11   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Whoa. This is Chennai we are talking of. All you need is the airway bill for transporting your car or toll/fuel receipts if you drive it yourself. The only one time I have been stopped in Chennai, a fuel receipt from Bangalore was all it took.

(And why do we have to "assume" an IT firm? Non-IT firms also have HR departments, no?)
I am studying journalism in Chennai. Not working anywhere.
Old 1st August 2016, 17:43   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am studying journalism in Chennai.
Journalism, Chennai, 10 months... this is Shashi Kumar's ACJ near IITM?
Old 1st August 2016, 18:20   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Journalism, Chennai, 10 months... this is Shashi Kumar's ACJ near IITM?
Yes sir, it is! i stay at Thiruvanmayur.
Old 7th August 2016, 14:21   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I will be taking a long road trip later this month starting from Delhi through Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharshtra and Goa. The trip will last around 2 months. By your logic, would I need to carry things like registration documents for my Delhi home and so on? Isn't the burden of proof on the authorities if they allege that a person has been in the state for over a year? Couldn't a tourist simply show his out of town licence or at the most his hotel reservation on his phone? Why should I need to show anything at all? If questioned, shouldn't my statement that I am visiting be sufficient unless the officer has some specific evidence to the contrary? Isn't it wrong to simply stop an out of town vehicle just based on number plate if no traffic offence has been committed? I have had this argument with traffic cops in Goa when I asked them why I was asked to stop and they were livid that an "outsider" dared to question their authority even though I was extremely polite.

Last edited by Lobogris : 7th August 2016 at 14:24.
Old 7th August 2016, 23:52   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I will be taking a long road trip later this month starting from Delhi through Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Maharshtra and Goa. The trip will last around 2 months. By your logic, would I need to carry things like registration documents for my Delhi home and so on? Isn't the burden of proof on the authorities if they allege that a person has been in the state for over a year? Couldn't a tourist simply show his out of town licence or at the most his hotel reservation on his phone? Why should I need to show anything at all? If questioned, shouldn't my statement that I am visiting be sufficient unless the officer has some specific evidence to the contrary? Isn't it wrong to simply stop an out of town vehicle just based on number plate if no traffic offence has been committed? I have had this argument with traffic cops in Goa when I asked them why I was asked to stop and they were livid that an "outsider" dared to question their authority even though I was extremely polite.
AFAIK traffic cops can stop any vehicle even in the absence of any rules violation for two primary reasons, one, to check if all proper documents are present, and second, whether driver is under influence. Hence, if traffic cops do stop your vehicle, you cannot contest the decision. However, that doesnt mean anything till the time the officer decides to penalize you, which of course is a different question. To my mind, simply showing proof of your temporary stay in the state by means of hotel booking, previous toll tax receipts, etc should be enough under normal circumstances. If you are working, I will advise you to carry a letter from your company's HR dept validating that you are on leave for the duration of the trip. That would make your case stronger if you are stopped at any point. Though I am advising you to take precautions, I do completely understand your situation. There is no reason why I should not be able to drive outside state registered vehicles in any state, considering that India is one nation and road tax has been paid in one of its states. Now, I understand that road tax is a state subject, but why should that be an issue? I am not trying to buy a vehicle in one state and getting it registered in other. But then this is India. There are a thousand things to be proud of as an Indian, yet every now and then, someone somewhere has to remind us of their medieval mindsets and draconian laws.

I hope all is fine in the end. Enjoy your trip and all the best.

Last edited by rattanw : 7th August 2016 at 23:56.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks