Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2016, 20:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

Wow - hit this thread accidentally and seriously impressed! now awaiting the Nexon, like someone else mentioned.
Old 27th March 2016, 07:17   #62
BHPian

Updates at 288 hours/12 days

Zest Petrol : 35,899.9 km (Avg Speed 124.7 kmph)
Tiago Petrol: 35,088.5 km (Avg Speed 121.8 kmph)
Tiago Diesel: 34,243.3 km (Avg Speed 118.9 kmph)
Bolt Petrol : 33,089.6 km (Avg Speed 114.9 kmph)

Updates after 300 hours

Zest Petrol : 37,332.5 km
Tiago Petrol: 36,339.4 km
Tiago Diesel: 35,713.9 km
Bolt Petrol : 34,564.5 km

Source: Twitter

Last edited by mrbaddy : 27th March 2016 at 07:28. Reason: Added more details
mrbaddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 18:25   #63
BHPian

Just my opinion, but I think any modern vehicle will be capable of doing this. This may work in favour of Tata especially for marketing but there are some really bad pressing Issues Tata has to address. The first and foremost being their service network.

Being an owner of Tata Nano, my feedback to someone who asks me about the car is summarized as - Its a 1-2 lac car but maintenance costs exceeding a decent sedan. Yes, the car is so cheap that it requires frequent repairs hence adding to maintenance. People may enjoy the Nano for a while but hold on to it for 4+ years like I have and you shall realize. Add to that the misery of dealing with Tata's service network and we have a perfect recipe for frustration.

I may be guilty of mis-judging the new vehicles keeping in mind my 4-year old Tata and the cheapest one at that. But at least the service experience remains the same which is the worst I have ever seen. They may make it seem they care by having feedback calls, warranty freebies but in reality your car is in the worst hands possible. We're reduced only to the FNG route, which believe me is hard for a Nano owner.

Maybe if Tata can just put the costs involved (spares and service) for this endurance run, people may be tempted to go this route. But then you also have the dreaded Tata authorized service centers to deal with (Which these endurance vehicles dont, sorry for the sarcasm!).
jagzrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 14:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Tata Zest crossed 40000 KM non stop running and going strong! Tiago twins and Bolt are slightly behind it. I think they are targetting 50000 non stop high speed run.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 17:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

I echo the sentiments of some other folks here, that any modern car should be able to do these kilometers with ease. I mean, my Swift is currently past 86k kms and running just fine. I did not use an endurance test report before deciding on buying any of my past vehicles and do not think I will use it in the future. Oh by the way, we have bought a Tata Zest too, so please do not think I am biased against the brand.

What is the real purpose of this endurance test? Do the top brass at Tata Motors feel that public perception of the long term durability of their vehicles is an issue? And is that what they are trying to correct here?

Quite frankly, I do not think these tests will make an iota of difference to the fortunes of Tata motors since they are not addressing the real reasons for the lack of sales. Seems to be just another gimmick, but one that's bound to fall flat.

If Tata motors really wants to up those sales figures, they need to fix the real issues that are plaguing their products. And the real issue is definitely not "perception about the endurance of their vehicles".

All the best.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 20:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Being an owner of Tata Nano, my feedback to someone who asks me about the car is summarized as - Its a 1-2 lac car but maintenance costs exceeding a decent sedan. Yes, the car is so cheap that it requires frequent repairs hence adding to maintenance. People may enjoy the Nano for a while but hold on to it for 4+ years like I have and you shall realize. Add to that the misery of dealing with Tata's service network and we have a perfect recipe for frustration.

If I were you, I would've rephrased your post to indicate that these problems are in YOUR Nano, and do not apply to ALL Nanos .

I too am a Nano ( mfg.in Nov 2009) owner , and I am glad to say my experience has been the exact opposite of yours. I have earlier referred to my own car as "The Lexus of its breed, its that good". I have spent peanuts on the maintenance, and the running cost probably rivals that of any mobike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
We're reduced only to the FNG route
My other cars are an E200 and a Verna and neither has seen the inside of a dealership garage after the warranty period was over.

FNG route is recommended by me if you have some know-how of cars and some additional time.
Old 29th March 2016, 05:55   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
....... but I don't think any other car maker in India has put in so much effort to redeem themselves, as Tata has, in the past year or two.
I agree and wish that the public perception about the cars would change - the current crop of Tata cars are undoubtedly streets ahead of their earlier efforts. I feel that its just their damp-squib marketing efforts that keeps missing the public pulse each time.
Old 29th March 2016, 13:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Tiago Petrol crossed 40000 KM mark in 330.5 hours - that's around 121 kph (average speed).
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:38   #69
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a difference in doing 50,000kms at our regular or even high ways speeds and doing 50LK or 100K at average speeds of about 120kmph while going steady at about 160kmph. Constant speeds of 160kmph resulting in an average of 120kmph is hard on the engine. It implies constantly high RPM, all components including tyres are under constant stress.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 17:49   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I second ACM here. Any machine driven at its limits will be exposed to much higher pressures and faster wear and tear. Its just like walking, jogging and running an equal distance of 5 kms. The faster you go, the more you wear out.

Even though modern vehicles are capable, the longest anyone would have driven non-stop would be 1.5-2k kms (my fair estimate). Here we are able to witness something that is 20-30 times longer and now, know that even this is possible. We should appreciate this fact rather than criticizing such an effort.

Lastly, speaking from my experience, I owned a bike which I used to red line most of the times (My travel timings ensured I got empty 4-lane roads). In spite of advancing every single service and doing all parts changes before any warning signs, the engine gave up at 25k kms. An engine rebuilt later, I slowed down and was always at cruise mode. Sold the bike after about 15k kms. The new owner has clocked another 50k kms and is not very particular about the upkeep except routine oil changes. The engine is still butter smooth after roughly 65k kms after the rebuilt. People might say this is a one-off case but I have found any engine being harsh and gruff after a real long and high speed run, both in cars as well as bike. Only an oil change restores MOST of the smoothness. This shows what continued run in stressed environment can do.

Last edited by ashis89 : 29th March 2016 at 17:52.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 00:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quick question how do they carry out oil change in this continuous challange? Any inside info ?
Old 30th March 2016, 00:24   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Quick question how do they carry out oil change in this continuous challange? Any inside info ?
If you backtrack, there are pictures where the car is being serviced. This is not full time drive as some people believe.
Old 30th March 2016, 07:31   #73
BHPian

The cars have completed 45000 kms now

Tata Zest 365h 20m 05s
Tata Tiago Petrol 371h 51m 41s
Tata Tiago Diesel 377h 26m 40s

Thats over 120 kmph. So any breaks they are taking for service or refueling must be really short.

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-cets7cfwsaaxjsp.jpg-large.jpg
sachinayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 08:37   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
In spite of advancing every single service and doing all parts changes before any warning signs, the engine gave up at 25k kms.
Which bike was it?

Old 30th March 2016, 08:50   #75
BHPian

I wish they would post the following details so that we all know what is the condition of the cars when they stop the run:

-Engine compression/pressure at the start and end of the run
-Cylinder and piston wear out
-Suspension travel vs load before and after the run
-Parts that have to be changed during the run
-Parts that have to be changed at the end of the run
-Problems that occurred during the run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks