Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2016, 00:38   #1
BHPian

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

Mods, I couldn't find an appropriate thread for posting this. Please move to the appropriate thread, if a new one is not warranted for this?
Quote:

Tata Motors flagged off the Geared For Great Endurance Challenge for the Zest, Bolt and upcoming Tiago. The cars will undergo rigorous endurance tests at the Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE).

Tata Geared For Great Endurance Challenge

– Tata Motors has flagged off the Geared For Great Endurance Challenge for the Bolt, Zest and Tiago
– The endurance race is being held to test the durability and fuel efficiency
– The challenge is taking place at the Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), in Ahmednagar
– Over sixty professional drivers and vehicle experts are taking part in the event.

Tata Motors learned the hard way that the average Indian car buyer is ruthless and unforgiving. Thus many have given the recent offerings from the company a cold shoulder, even though the latest products are leaps and bounds better than the ol’ Indica and Sumo. But Tata is not the one to be bogged down easily and has started another campaign to prove that its new generation cars are world class by flagging off the Geared For Great Endurance Challenge at the Vehicle Research & Development Establishment (VRDE), in Ahmednagar.

The challenge is aimed at showcasing the efficiency and durability of the Tata Zest, Bolt and the upcoming Tiago. The challenge is being conducted under the watchful eye of the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI). Over sixty professional drivers and auto experts will test the petrol variants of the Zest and Bolt along with petrol and diesel variants of the Tiago for high-speed performance as well as fuel economy.

The event is the latest effort by Tata Motors to garner public attention and prove a point. The much talked about Zest and Bolt turned out to be sales disasters as the past image of Tata is etched in people’s brain. However, experts unanimously agree that the latest offerings by the company are much better than some competitors in their respective segments due to features like Harman-Kardon infotainment system and AMT transmission.
Source : MotorBeam

Does anyone know of similar tests conducted ealrier at VRDE?

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-tataendurancestart.jpg
Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-tataendurancetiago.jpg
mrbaddy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 01:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Does anyone know of similar tests conducted ealrier at VRDE?
If memory serves me right, Autocar India had attempted something of this sort, at Ahmednagar, with an Alto some years back. Can't remember whether it was a company backed event or purely a magazine "feature" event....? Does anyone remember?
Old 16th March 2016, 01:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

Why skip the diesel variants for Bolt & Zest? Is it because the Revotron hasn't clicked the way as expected & they want to give more limelight for the new petrol engines?

I am not sure whether this will change anything, unless they go mad on the marketing for Tiago. They probably need to do something in front of people's eyes than closed compound events to gain the attention. Such events will only grab the eye balls of enthusiasts who already have spend tme researching on these cars more than the usual audience.
Old 16th March 2016, 12:37   #4
MSC
BHPian

Re: Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE

These sort of tests have been carried out by different automotive magazines at their own level.
Overdrive magazine too conducted similar tests some time back on couple of cars like Alto, Verna and even Audi. Once they used a Karizma also same 24 hour endurance tests.

1. http://m.overdrive.in/news/24-hours-...otor-speedway/

2. http://m.overdrive.in/features/recor...nce-challenge/
3.http://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/pr...9-2003-48.html

Last edited by MSC : 16th March 2016 at 12:42.
MSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 13:54   #5
BHPian

I am curious about the outcome of the results, albeit their relevance to a perspective buyer is arguable.

Tata cars are well known for being rugged by character. So these endurance tests have nothing much to prove once again. Myself, as an owner of a TATA Car can vouch for that. Reliability in the long run however is a different question altogether.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2016 at 10:12. Reason: Typo
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 14:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

After reading all the Tata related threads (Zest, Bolt, Tiago, Hexa, Nexon) and taking in all the cynicism and negativity, I have suddenly started feeling really bad for the company! (I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the few TML shares I bought recently).

I have owned only Japanese cars till now, except a Nano, which I really enjoyed. I have decided that whenever I move back to India, I will buy a couple of Tata cars if only to show my love for the company!

Of course it is due to their own lethargy of 15 years which have put them in this ditch, but I don't think any other car maker in India has put in so much effort to redeem themselves, as Tata has, in the past year or two.

Last edited by Viju : 16th March 2016 at 14:25.
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 14:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
If memory serves me right, Autocar India had attempted something of this sort, at Ahmednagar, with an Alto some years back. Can't remember whether it was a company backed event or purely a magazine "feature" event....? Does anyone remember?
Yes, I believe it was a company backed endurance run, where an Alto was made to run at near top-speed for a full 24 hours.

Kudos to Tata Motors taking this initiative - it would be good if they could sync their marketing department to advertise the results as aggressively as Maruti did.

At the same time though, it needs to take more concrete steps to earn back it's trust.
For starters, reduce the discounts and instead make 4 year warranty a standard feature, coupled with packages similar to BSI for BMW. This would show their confidence in their vehicles, only after which would a customer be inclined to put in his/her confidence in a Tata product.
Old 16th March 2016, 15:26   #8
BHPian

Not much information in terms of distance to be covered and the exact timeframe. Just saw this photo tweeted by zignition. So maybe 3000 kms endurance test in a short timeframe!?

Mods please merge posts, as I don't think image attached in last post from mobile app.

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-1458122230212.jpg

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-1458122243654.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th March 2016 at 15:30.
jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 18:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Overdrive had set the speed record, few journals then set up FE records. First was with OD in Alto LX and Karizma. Alto had done [IIRC] 3082 kms in 24 hours and Karizma did 2525kms in 24 hours.

Team included Adil, Aspi, Sirish, Bert [common in both]

Was an aspiring auto journo back then

Last edited by Sheel : 16th March 2016 at 18:01.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 23:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
I am curious about the outcome of the results, albeit their relevance to a perspective buyer is arguable......Reliability in the long run however is a different question altogather.
Guess Tata Motors is trying to simulate the long run in a short period of time.

Nevertheless these cars have been running for 60 hours non-stop now and at some seriously good pace

Tata Zest

7847.7 km

Tata Bolt

7911.1 km

Tata Tiago (Diesel)

7991.4 km

All three are clocking over 130kmph on an average, which is quite remarkable. Wonder how they manage to address driver fatigue.
sachinayak is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 03:00   #11
BHPian

As per reports, the Bolt has clocked 1000+ on a full tank of petrol.

Method used: Filled to the brim and driven till there is no fuel left and the car had to be towed back.

The media drives have concluded and the video series will be airing on some of the auto shows.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 10:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Guess Tata Motors is trying to simulate the long run in a short period of time.

Nevertheless these cars have been running for 60 hours non-stop now and at some seriously good pace

Tata Zest

7847.7 km

Tata Bolt

7911.1 km

Tata Tiago (Diesel)

7991.4 km

All three are clocking over 130kmph on an average, which is quite remarkable. Wonder how they manage to address driver fatigue.
The above readings are quite encouraging.

One question however comes up to my mind as whether the test cars are same as production cars, or they are modified appropriately for the test.

The max distance I could drive in one go in my Tata Car is 360 Kms (Chennai to Hosur). Beyond that, fatigue catches up faster.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 17th March 2016 at 10:25.
Old 17th March 2016, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Going strong for 72 hours straight now.

Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE-cdujwiyuiaen5qi.jpg

WOW !

Source: Twitter https://twitter.com/search?vertical=...GearedForGreat
Image copyright with respective owner.
sachinayak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 13:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why skip the diesel variants for Bolt & Zest? Is it because the Revotron hasn't clicked the way as expected & they want to give more limelight for the new petrol engines?
May be because, when it comes to Diesel there is nothing left to prove as they are using FIAT 1.3 multijet. Same engine is used by Tata, Fiat, Maruti, GM and Premier(?).
Bolt and Zest are using Tata's own petrol engines and Tiago using their own petrol and diesel engine.

They set new record! keep going.

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th March 2016 at 13:23.
Old 17th March 2016, 13:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Autocar had also done the Endurance test for the Karizma too.
One question, why are the cars fitted with extra lights for such endurance runs? The same was done for the ZMA too.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 17th March 2016 at 13:53.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks