Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 15:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mini Cooper S convertible launched; priced at Rs. 34.90 lakh

Mod Note: Our Mini Convertible Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Mini has officially launched the Cooper S convertible in India at a price of Rs. 34.90 lakh (ex-showroom, all-India). The car is powered by a 2.0L, 4-cylinder engine that makes 189 BHP and 280 Nm of torque. 0-100 kph comes up in a claimed 7.1 seconds with a top speed of 233 kph. The car will only be offered with a 6-speed automatic gearbox and an optional 6-speed sports automatic transmission that can be operated using shift paddles.

Based on BMW's UKL platform, the soft top convertible is a direct import and is available in Pepper White and Volcanic Orange as standard non-metallic paintwork. As expected, the car is offered with a variety of bank account-breaking personalization options.

It is available with the following optional 11 metallic paint shades at an added cost of Rs. 60,000: Caribbean Aqua, Melting Silver, Moonwalk Grey, Blazing Red, British Racing Green, Iced Chocolate, Midnight Black, Deep Blue, White Silver, Thunder Grey and Lapisluxury Blue.

The car gets an electrically folding fabric roof that Mini claims can be opened or closed in 18 seconds and operated up to speeds of 30 kph. A sliding roof function is also offered, where the soft top retracts by up to 40 cm at any speed. The soft top is also available in an optional MINI Yours version featuring a woven Union Jack graphic that comes at an additional cost of Rs. 90,000/-.

16-inch (silver or black) alloy wheels come as standard, while a range of 17-inch wheels is available for an additional cost of Rs. 80,000/-.

Standard safety equipment includes driver and front passenger airbags, brake assist, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), ABS, Cornering Brake Control (CBC), 3-point seatbelts on all seats and a run-flat indicator.

The car is available for bookings at all Mini dealerships in India.

Mini Cooper S convertible launched; priced at Rs. 34.90 lakh-1.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2016 at 17:07. Reason: Link to review
Tushar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 15:42   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mini Cooper S convertible launched; priced at Rs. 34.90 lakh

I truly wish that I had the money to buy one. British Racing Green would be lovely...
Old 17th March 2016, 17:15   #3
BHPian

Even with basic options the price starts hovering around 50 lacs! Too many other options at that price. Not worth it.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 12:25   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Even with basic options the price starts hovering around 50 lacs! Too many other options at that price. Not worth it.
Yes it is foolish to pay Rs 50 L on road in India for a Mini Cooper when it can be bought in its Top Spec at about 25000-27000 odd USD in America or at about 18000-20000 GBP in the UK.

I aspire to the Cooper S Turbo Petrol- 3 door is perfectly fine for us. But I think it will be best if one looks in the second hand market for a car such as this.
Old 19th March 2016, 18:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

The perfect car for Indian roads but the most ridiculous price for Indian market.

These don't cost this much anywhere else in the world. Whoever is buying this I am sure it's not their first car in this price range simply meaning super affluent.

My favorite car but it's good to wait for an used one. The depreciation will be amazing in these cars. And sadly no manual shift as well. Phew

Last edited by VW2010 : 19th March 2016 at 18:38.
Old 19th March 2016, 22:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Well guys tell me any car over Rs 20 Lac which is priced same way as in US ? I don't think anyone can price this lower given the insane taxes on Imports and they won't have volumes to setup any local production.

They are targeting rich gals self made or just born lucky probably.

Here's review on AutoCar

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-400873,0.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Mini Cooper S convertible launched; priced at Rs. 34.90 lakh-screen-shot-20160319-10.22.23-pm.png  

Mini Cooper S convertible launched; priced at Rs. 34.90 lakh-screen-shot-20160319-10.22.13-pm.png  

Old 20th March 2016, 02:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Well guys tell me any car over Rs 20 Lac which is priced same way as in US ? I don't think anyone can price this lower given the insane taxes on Imports and they won't have volumes to setup any local production.

Here's review on AutoCar

Well said.
For someone looking to buy a small fast car, the Mini and the Abarth 500 are the only options and considering even the GTI will cross 25L price barrier, these cars are bound to be expensive. I am guessing people who feel these are expensive aren't enthusiastic enough for such kind of cars. I would personally buy an Abarth 500 over any other car in the same budget.
Old 20th March 2016, 09:07   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Here's review on AutoCar

The Yeti was priced very much in line with its International pricing (for equivalent spec/ trim) when I bought it in 2011. This was one of the reasons I actually bought it.
The price of 20-22 Lacs in India was the same pricing as for the equivalent spec of vehicle in Australia and in the UK. At that time the GBP pricing was about 23000 -24000 Pounds and the AUD pricing was about 46000 odd Dollars.
At that time the conversion was working out almost exact basis the exchange rate.
Hence,while I love the Mini Cooper, I personally will only be able to consider it (maybe and if at all) in the second hand market in India.
Old 20th March 2016, 09:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The price of 20-22 Lacs in India was the same pricing as for the equivalent spec of vehicle in Australia and in the UK. At that time the GBP pricing was about 23000 -24000 Pounds and the AUD pricing was about 46000 odd Dollars

Both markets are far expensive then USA -perhaps due to 20 % VAT in UK
You can buy most of Cars from BMW at UK prices in India which they assemble here , just don't compare On Road prices though. I too check overseas prices before picking up anything to understand VFM proposition but in case of CBU's this difference is simply too much due to Import taxes which probably was less till 2012 & the relative difference of imports vs assembled was still manageable.

Talking about Skoda - their prices for superb in UK starts at £18640 as against £ 22430 for Mini Cooper S Convertible , now if you compare these with INR prices , I think BMW has priced competitively despite 200 % duties and Skoda being assembled with about 40 % or so.

I am with Germans here , at least they have given us a good range to choose , look at giant like Toyota - not only they sell only few import models at insane prices but none of dealers or company keeps stocks, ordering and waiting for LC for 3-4 month is more of a norm
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 13:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Yeti was priced very much in line with its International pricing (for equivalent spec/ trim) when I bought it in 2011. This was one of the reasons I actually bought it.
The price of 20-22 Lacs in India was the same pricing as for the equivalent spec of vehicle in Australia and in the UK. At that time the GBP pricing was about 23000 -24000 Pounds and the AUD pricing was about 46000 odd Dollars.
At that time the conversion was working out almost exact basis the exchange rate.
Hence,while I love the Mini Cooper, I personally will only be able to consider it (maybe and if at all) in the second hand market in India.
I didn't know that the Yeti was a CBU.
Old 20th March 2016, 17:24   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I didn't know that the Yeti was a CBU.
SKD. Not CBU.
They somehow managed to keep the pricing intact though. Even when I compared the On Road price. At the time I bought it the vehicle cost about 22.5 on road Bangalore which was perfectly comparable to the Australia and UK Pricing!
It is only now that they are slowly indigenising. In 2011 which was just about a year from the actual launch of the vehicle in India, all the parts were fully imported and the vehicle was only part assembled here.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th March 2016 at 17:26.
Old 20th March 2016, 19:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
SKD. Not CBU.
They somehow managed to keep the pricing intact though. Even when I compared the On Road price. At the time I bought it the vehicle cost about 22.5 on road Bangalore which was perfectly comparable to the Australia and UK Pricing!
It is only now that they are slowly indigenising. In 2011 which was just about a year from the actual launch of the vehicle in India, all the parts were fully imported and the vehicle was only part assembled here.
Isn't there a big difference in duties applied on CBU vs CKD/SKD.
Old 20th March 2016, 20:52   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Isn't there a big difference in duties applied on CBU vs CKD/SKD.
CBU vs SKD not so much
CBU vs CKD quite huge
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks