Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 06:44   #1
BANNED

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Mod Note: Our Swift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Source:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/suzuki/...sharp-new-look

The next generation Swift's leaked pictures. (This seems to be a sport version with extra kit).

Swift is becoming bolder and sharper with every iteration. This time, most of the body panels seems to be same as current gen Swift except the tail gate in particular. Going more in the way of Mini Cooper in front looks and interiors. Very aggressive front, new grill, vitara'ish fog lamp cluster, new head and tail lamps. New Vitara'ish interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-suzukiswiftsportleakhero.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-suzukiswiftsportleakrear.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-suzukiswiftsport002.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-suzukiswiftsportleakinterior.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2018 at 12:19. Reason: Link to review :)
romeomidhun is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 07:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Some great scoop there. However on first looks it seems to be an elder sibling of the Renault Pulse with that front looks - bonnet, grille etc.

Only the side profile seems to retain the Swift lines and curves while the rear does not look as smooth or slick as the current generation version though it gets the cladding overall which seems to be in fashion.

The interior IMO seems to be a bit confused. A case in point is the air conditioning vents which are both in round and straight lines. Again the classy looking understated current generation seemed to be more soothing to the eye.

One big question though if will Maruti improve the power plant to offer more options or just go with the same mill for nearly 3 generations?
girishglg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 07:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
One big question though if will Maruti improve the power plant to offer more options or just go with the same mill for nearly 3 generations?
The production form of the next generation Swift is likely to be seen in end 2016.

It is expected to get the latest 1.0L boosterjet in the petrol varaint. Diesel power-train is not known yet . The new Suzuki engine 1.5L diesel which is under development could be the likely engine in the diesel variant. Expect a CVT variant too.

Quote:
The new Swift 2017 must be offered with the new engine 1.0 Boosterjet of 110 HP,
The Boosterjet of 140 HP 1.4 and 22.4 kgfm, this stick of six gears. ( Swift Sport?)
Swift Sport - expected to come after the standard version but ready for a 2017 launch

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-suzukiswift002.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-suzukiswiftsport004.jpg

http://www.noticiasautomotivas.com.b...pacto-japones/

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th March 2016 at 07:38.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 07:35   #4
BHPian

New Suzuki Swift 2017 scoop pictures

Finally a new steering wheel. Looks like the steering wheel design only changes with every iteration of the Swift. The overall design looks less sporty compared to the current version. Maybe the pictures are not revealing the true story. The new power mills may make it a real hot hatch though. Also did you notice the rear door handle aka the beat style. I am not a fan of this design and prefer the conventional location for the same.

Last edited by nurni76 : 18th March 2016 at 07:36.
nurni76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 07:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Finally a new steering wheel. Looks like the steering wheel design only changes with every iteration of the Swift.
Check the Ignis, seems to have a new steering wheel.

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th March 2016 at 08:05.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 07:52   #6
BHPian

Look at the sloping roofline. There will be a dearth of headroom at the rear if this makes into production. Also, the hatch seems to be a straight lift from the Liva IMO. The rear door handles come from the beat. In addition to Mini Cooper, the front also looks a little bit like the Jaguar F type. On the whole, this design is not at all pleasing or appealing like the Baleno on which it is based. I like the change in the steering wheel though (finally).
I hope they sort out the rear legroom issue but the design says otherwise. Let's see how it comes out to be.
shreyak_ss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 07:56   #7
BHPian

My two cents. I think they were trying to style it like the R35 Nissan GT-R rather than taking design inspiration from Renault Pulse.

One more point, the swift does not seem to be growing that much in size. Reason behind this is fairly obvious, a grown up swift would clash with the Baleno. Also Swift would loose out on the beautiful chassis and the agility. I felt the original swift was like the Mini. Powerful engine, short wheelbase with chassis balance so that it is easy to do some underground car park sliding about and do handbrake turns. However, the downside of the chassis is that on a highway, it is easy to loose grip and start sliding. And a non-seasoned driver might dial in an extra bit of opposite lock and Bam! you are sitting on a concrete wall with a leaky radiator and damaged body panels.
aveemashfaq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 09:17   #8
BHPian

This is more of a Micra facelift rather than swift. With a great market the S badge carries always, they can do a lot better than the cosmetic mods and simple changes to call it as a facelift. Probably Maruti designer would have thought that the buyers will anyway keep buying their cars whatever changes done / not done.

Lets wait and see the production version, happy to see some surprises.

However, I like the alloy design and Jaguar type front grill, though they are not merging with the overall design, bit out of place IMHO. Also the steering wheel appears like flat bottom design. Love to see in on road version.

From the picture in volkman10 post, Ambient light seems to be coming all the way to meet the speedo console. Is it a illusion? or really that is a ambient light design?.
EPMV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 09:30   #9
BHPian

Lamps like a Nissan, grill like an Audi and rooftop like a Cooper. Only wish that the slope of the roof was a bit lesser and it was a bit more on the flatter side. Also the new interiors look much better than the current generation. It would look much much better with the current generation's alloy wheels. Cant wait for its launch
motorhead16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 09:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Also did you notice the rear door handle aka the beat style. I am not a fan of this design and prefer the conventional location for the same.
I second that. Unnecessary creation/aggravation of claustrophobia. I would prefer a see-through glass in place of that black panel.

Overall the design seems nothing far off than the current one. The interior seems to have undergone more changes than the exterior. Anyway why mend when it's not broken.

The changes to the rear looks something in between Datsun Go and VW POLO.

Last edited by saion666 : 18th March 2016 at 09:56.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally a new steering wheel. Looks like the steering wheel design only changes with every iteration of the Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Check the Ignis, seems to have a new steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I like the change in the steering wheel though (finally).
We desperately needed a new steering wheel in Marutis. Looking at the same wheel in all cars was making it too boring. The feel of driving a different car almost die when you have the same wheel to hold in all cars. Ignis and new Swift aside, all new Maruti/Suzuki cars could have some differentiating feature here.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:05   #12
BHPian

Good photos! Now only thing left to see is what finally makes it to the production version. As fellow members have said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! However, I only wish they give some proper engine options to actually make the car live up to its name, "SWIFT". Current lot of engines don't do justice to the name imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
We desperately needed a new steering wheel in Marutis.
Totally agree. In fact I would go one step further and say that steering wheels need to differ across segments as well. Maruti has ample volumes to justify the additional expense, if any. When I bought my City, one of the cars we evaluated was the Ertiga. However, as I already have the Dzire, I didn't even bother finding out about the car considering once you sit on the driver's seat, both cars are near identical.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 11:28   #13
BANNED

Paultan (http://paultan.org/2016/03/18/next-g...s-leak-online/) says the length will be 3840mm (current: 3850mm) and width 1740mm (current: 1695mm). Wider by almost 5cm than current one and almost equal to Baleno, the stance will be very good, IMO.

The new platform introduced along with Baleno helps Suzuki to develop newer models more easily than earlier, I guess. Baleno, Ignis, and now this new Swift. Will all the current Suzuki small cars come in this platform?

Quote:
Also did you notice the rear door handle aka the beat style. I am not a fan of this design and prefer the conventional location for the same.
Agree completely. Why do manufacturers need to give a false impression that it is a 3-door version? What is so charming about a 3-door design? This new position of the rear door handle makes the side design non-cohesive, IMO. The handle on the usual position will help to break the bulk on the side. They messed up the C-pillar compared to current design. But I liked the new aggressive front, though I would expect a more sharper head lamp. Rear is also OK.

Coming to interiors, when they are moving to more angular designs on the exterior, why they are moving to circular designs in the interior?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th March 2016 at 11:58.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 12:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

The rear profile very similar to Datsun Go. and the interior should look more upmarket. Current swift interior seems more upmarket than the next version.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-datsungorear.jpg  

tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 12:39   #15
BHPian

After introduction of Baleno-a much better family car in possibly every-way compared to existing Swift, MSIL can create a cult out of Swift by making it "really" hot! Get in 3 door with a competent engine and a smooth auto-tranny (not the AMT), lowered suspension and sporty interiors.
This new design is a proper copy-paste job from multiple cars. Front looks a figo, side-on is beat and rear-end is datsunGo. Common MSIL, up the game!
kkstile is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed