Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 15:38   #166
BHPian

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Since I work in the advertising industry, thought I'd try my hand at creating a creative to share how I feel about the Swift's front-end.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-closeenough.jpg

If any of our designers see this, a part of them would die. I am quite proud though :P
aaychat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 15:47   #167
BHPian

There was a time when Marutis and Hondas looked pleasing to look at (jelly bean Zen and the original City vTEC, anyone?). Also those were the days when Hyundais looked like insects (first generation Santro). These days it's the Hyundais that have started looking terrific with each new generation while Maruti and Honda seem to be in some sort of race to outdo each other when it comes to making their existing and newer models uglier.

IMHO the current generation Swift (ZXi/ZDi, those alloys are superb) in India was the most spectacular looking Maruti ever, followed by the Gypsy (doesn't the open top Gypsy in green look terrific?). Unfortunately Maruti decided it was time to give it the 'family look'. Let's hope they now leave the Celerio and Ciaz as they are.

Last edited by Flanker99 : 19th December 2016 at 15:58.
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 16:51   #168
Senior - BHPian

Can they go back to first generation again? First gen was looker. Get it back with all new set of interiors, features. It will look much better than this one. This is looking sad for sure. Baleno is mi much better. Only grill part is nice, rest all is not good.
Old 19th December 2016, 17:04   #169
BHPian

I have mixed feelings about the design. My first car was the 2009 Swift. It was a great car, with the sweet 1.3 multijet. The second gen swift lost the turbo spike and the central console was brushing against my left knee. Wish the new Swift has these two issues rectified.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 17:55   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Am I in minority that I find it really good as a package? Volkswagen polo like steering, contrast stitched seats, sporty dials, and a much more mature exterior. Maruti will now have their customers thoroughly confused with two more additional options to chose from (swift+ignis)
Agree ! Even I liked the design and it feels like a grown up and matured Swift unlike the first generation which was like a rock star in itself ! The interiors look cool and makes a good case for itself.

I doubt Suzuki will botch up on their global bread and butter model ! It is an evolutionary design for sure and will hurt none.
Old 19th December 2016, 20:38   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki has reportedly started testing the 2017 Swift in India ( probably in-house testing) while the Dzire has been spotted testing on public roads.
Quote:
Company sources tell us that Maruti has currently begun testing the next-gen Swift and the Dzire in India.
For India the New Swift is expected to get the existing 1.2L engine or/and the boosterjet (1.0L) as petrol variants while the Diesel could be the 1.3 L or the Suzuki developed 1.5L engine.

Link

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-vv.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-bc.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-re.jpg

Decoding the specifications of the New Swift for the Japanese Market, here is the take

True to its spy pictures the design elements largely remain the same,

- The teardrop-shaped headlamps and the trapezoidal grille and U-shaped lower section that hosts the fog lamps.

- the Swift now gets a “floating roof” look, with a small area of the C-pillar being blacked out, also accommodating the handles for the rear doors.

- Eight exterior body colours will also be offered, along with several alloy wheel designs.

- Refreshed interiors in all black with a new dashboard layout features more prominent air-con vents, a larger touchscreen infotainment system and new switchgear

- New centre console design appears the centre console appears to be angled more upwards, and a brand-new flat bottom steering wheel and instrument cluster as well.

- Twin pod instrument dials with a large multi-info display, circular HVAC vents and new HVAC controls, and an optional touchscreen infotainment system(with Apple CarPlay)

Six Models -Standard Swift

- XG , XL, Hybrid ML
- RS, RSt, Hybrid RS

XG- Cheapest ( 1343520 Yen/ INR 7 .8 lakhs ). 1.2 L Dual jet / 90 Ps, 120NM, in FWD form in CVT / 5 MT. AWD in CVT only.

XL – same as XG + Keyless go+ ORVM turn signal +Alloys

Hybrid ML – 1.2 L dual jet + Hybrid
Colors – 8 ( Red, Blue, White, Black, Silver, Brown, Gold, Light Blue)

Top End Special Variant with Touch screen and other options ( RS-RSt -Hybrid RS)

-Limted colors in red, blue, white, black, and silver

RS - 1.2 dualjet, FWD, 5MT

RSt – Booster jet (1.0 L). 111 Ps, 170 NM, 6 AT W/ Paddle shifters

Hybrid RS – 1.2 dualjet, FWD/AWD and CVT

Fuel Economy:
- 1.0 L boosterjet - 6AT w/paddle shifters - 20km/L
- 1.2 dual jet – 5MT/ CVT (Standard) – 27.4 km/L

Global Suzuki Sport – 1.4L Boosterjet engine – Due late 2017

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th December 2016 at 21:03.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 20:49   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Am I in minority that I find it really good as a package? Volkswagen polo like steering, contrast stitched seats, sporty dials, and a much more mature exterior. Maruti will now have their customers thoroughly confused with two more additional options to chose from (swift+ignis)
Every time a new car is presented, many people cry in memories of the golden oldies, how the no-longer-available old-gens were truly beautiful, and how designers are stupid idiots to not continue them.

I like the new design as well. Look forward to see these everywhere in next few years.
Old 19th December 2016, 22:03   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the 1.0L Boosterjet will remain exclusive to the Baleno RS, because Overdrive sources report that the all-new 2017 Swift will continue with the same 2 engine options in India - the 1.2L petrol and the 1.3L diesel.

However, it is speculated that Maruti-Suzuki might bring the 1.0L Boosterjet to the Swift in an RS variant at a much later date, albeit in a detuned version compared to the one in the Baleno RS.

Quote:
our sources have confirmed that the new-generation Maruti Suzuki Swift will be powered by the existing lineup 1.2-litre petrol and 1.3-litre diesel engines.

It has been speculated that the 2017 Maruti Suzuki Swift will feature the 1.0-litre Boosterjet petrol motor that is offered in the export variants of the Baleno. However, that will not be the case when Maruti Suzuki launches the new generation version of one of its most popular hatchbacks in the country.

At a later stage, Maruti Suzuki might bring in the same motor in a different tune to power the Swift RS.
Old 20th December 2016, 08:36   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Specification sheet of the New Gen Swift ( Japanese Market).

1. Comes in MT/ CVT / AT - Mileage figures of 20 (6 AT) - 27.4 km/L(Hybrid)
2. Weight ranges from 860 - 970 kg
3. Engines - K10C ( 102 Ps@5500 ) and K12C (91 Ps@ 6000)
4. Hybrid system is similar to seen in Solio.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-11.jpg

Source- Suzukiblog

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th December 2016 at 08:52.
Old 20th December 2016, 09:40   #175
Senior - BHPian

With the Swift built on the Baleno platform, it will continue with the unplanted feel due to the low weight. Hope the suspension is fixed for good.

Expect ARAI numbers of 21.5 to 22 for the petrol as considering the slightly shorter size it will shave some more kgs than the Baleno.
Old 20th December 2016, 11:26   #176
Team-BHP Support

Well, love it or hate it, the Swift is here to stay.

And although it's a mishmash of borrowed/stolen design cues from cars across the board (Renault Pulse to the Datsun GO to the Toyota Etios Liva to Hyundai i20 Elite to the Maserati Ghibli and the Jaguar F-Type ), it's not a bad looking thing at all.

My concerns lie only with the interior and its overall fit-finish / quality, or - as history would have it - the lack thereof.

And one can only hope that it receives the 1 litre Boosterjet engine at some point, if not the full-monty Swift Sport treatment.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th December 2016 at 11:27.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 12:34   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki 2017 Swift Rendered,

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-2017marutiswiftfrontiabrendering1024x768.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th December 2016 at 12:36.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:30   #178
Team-BHP Support

Originality was never Suzuki's strength, and in this case the youthfulness of the Swift is all gone. This almost look like someone who became too old too fast. I find a lack of cohesiveness in the overall design; it will be interesting to see how they will bring out a sporty Swift Sport out of this.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 17:56   #179
Senior - BHPian

As we already know, the indian market largely relies on the perceived name & brand value, no matter the number of cars that might have inspired the new-gen. swift, the swift would always be a swift for the 'junta', as long as it has the DDiS which yields 25km/litre of diesel.

If it were any other brand apart from MSIL,Hyundai or Toyota, people would not refrain from thwarting it as a "copy-cat" design.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 20th December 2016 at 17:59.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 22:30   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Originality was never Suzuki's strength, and in this case the youthfulness of the Swift is all gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

As we already know, the swift would always be a swift for the 'junta', as long as it has the DDiS which yields 25km/litre of diesel.
Couldn't agree more with you guys and it really seems to be getting ridiculous by the design

I never really liked the "Bulbous" design of the first-gen Swift, but that sweet 1.3 DDiS engine was so youthful and a true show stopper. The brilliant dodos at Maruti went ahead and tamed that beast with the facelift and it became the normal "Family Man" engine.

The facelift really lifted the looks of the Swift, and this was no more just a plastic car build around a brilliant engine. But some mind-boggling geniuses at Maruti could not just sit back and let the competition look different I guess !!

What really flattens me is the fact that it has taken Maruti this long to come up with such an Ugly design.

Aah....but then again, when you are 'Copying' the bits from everybody around, it will take time to look like of bit of everybody.

Bravo Maruti......Bravo !!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 20th December 2016 at 22:33.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks